main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rotten Tomatoes predictions

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ZeroFett, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Just let him rant, he clearly has no idea what he's talking about even though it's clear he thinks he does. Just because something has been put in front of your face, doesn't mean people are going to watch it and respond to it. that's not how marketing works. And it's pretty obvious there has been a cultural reaction to it - people are extremely excited for this movie.... You would have to be living under a rock to not see and hear what people are saying about it - and no these people are not employed by Disney

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Who are you accusing exactly of "ranting"?

3. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    You do make sense. I do believe the PT bashing will definately happen especially if this film is really good. Everyone has their opinions, I have mine. I won't bash you if you liked the PT and I happen to think the film's were terrible. It's about respecting others opinions. There is no need to be disrespectful about it or take it personally if someone, say myself, thought the PT films were terrible.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Sithians

Sep 15, 2015
    It's because the general consensus thinks they were bad. To the people that enjoyed them, that's great, I respect that you enjoyed them. I won't bash you or disrespect you though for liking it. That's when it's taken too far.

5. Sithians

Sep 15, 2015
    I

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, I think the reviews for TFA will be brutal for PT fans. But the way I see it, if you love the PT, isn't that all that matters?

FWIW, there'll be no ST vs. PT "war" in the mainstream media--it'll be completely one-sided. The only war will be taking place here, as it has for the last several years.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    IMO, all those kind of reviews will signify is that we have a goof top great SW film to watch. Anything else will mean JJ and co have dropped the ball.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    To be fair, prequels reviews can be brutal if you're a prequel fan. Yes, having the films you like be bashed in a review for a completely different movie can be frustrating and annoying, but my advice is if the film is good, don't take it out on the film. If it's good, celebrate the fact that we have another good Star Wars movie. If it's not, continue enjoying the films that you like.

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed 100%.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's about whether one buys into that kind of 'consensus'. Most people I talk to thought Star Trek: Into Darkness, Avengers: AOU and Jurassic World (to name a few) were very poor films... but there seems to be more traction in debating the merits of those films than something like The Phantom Menance... largely because of the cultural significance of Star Wars and the impact of the OT. Whether TFA gets a pass or not, I think they'll be many outlets waiting to jump on the back of new SW films, because I think they are a much bigger target.

11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think as of now, the majority desire is there for this film to be good. SW got it's kicking with the PT. Right now there is good will again (largely thanks to the official footage released to date) but should the film not be well received, then I think you're absolutely right and you'll see patience wear out very quickly and the following films will be facing an uphill battle.

ST09, the first Avengers, Fury Road, the Potter films and the LOTR films are all proof that popularity and general quality need not be mutually exclusive nor that any naysaying need be obligatory.

AOU, STID, JW, the PT and the Hobbit films are all fairly accurately viewed critically IMO, and what naysaying there is towards those films is not down to people wanting to kick popular franchises, but those those films being problematic to varying degrees in a way their predecessors are not - though as you correctly point out, commercially there is no issue with any of them. In terms of Box office they are all successes.

TFA will be treated fairly I think - people will go and see it regardless and it will make a stack of money as was the case with the Hobbit films, the PT and the Transformers films. If it's flawed it will be hammered for those flaws. If's it's good and people connect with it, it'll be lauded for that, and I think only then will the box office truly threaten the record books.

12. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    When I saw Age of Ultron in theatres, it was the first time in my life where I really felt truly, deeply disappointed by a film.

13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That's how I felt with the first one.

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Irrespective of what the reviews say I don't think that it will affect the box office for TFA to such a degree to make it bomb. I think it will still do well.

TPM and KOTCS are the films where I was so looking forward to something good and I came out feeling disappointed by them.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    There is no way TFA bombs. I think where the reviews and general WOM will make a difference is between being huge and smashing records (in the long term - I think it'll break a lot of records in the initial release).

PymParticles and Artoo-Dion like this.
  16. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Even with a Rotten Tomatoes score on par with TPM's 57 % or lower, TFA will still become the highest grossing Star Wars film.

17. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Thankfully that won't happen.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it's not a good idea to proclaim any kind of general consensus. Too difficult to prove, and on here, it's one step away from the mods' favorite topic: PT vs OT battles! :p
    That's crazy (in the ironic way, not the insane way :p ), I felt the exact opposite. I love that film.

19. JunoSynth

JunoSynth Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    I had really low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised. LOL

20. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I initially thought it would be a lock for a 90+ based solely on what we've seen & heard, but after thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure.

I think the film has to clear a few hurdles for it to get a positive review (generally) from critics --

1. The film has to capture the essence of what a Star Wars film is (as each individual defines it) and deliver that. Critics will tend to be more OT-friendly, I'm guessing, and the OT feel is strong with this film from what we've seen. So... my guess is this bar is cleared.

2. The "big 3" have to be good enough that they can't be dismissed as geriatric jokes. The jokes are already being made; what the film will do is either make the jokes fall flat or cement them in the public consciousness. It looks like Ford has a shot at clearing his hurdle. Fisher, possibly, hers. Hamill is anybody's guess.

3. The performances of the new leads has to be solid. Peter Mayhew did an interview recently where he said Daisy's performance was a bit stiff -- he compared her to Natalie Portman's performance in the PT (he also said she loosened up after SWCA, so it's a bit confusing if he's talking about her personally, or in the film -- he then goes on to say she's going to be great in future movies, so...). I love Daisy, and I love what we know about Rey so far, so I hope this is just Mayhew being put off for whatever reason.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...els-About-Star-Wars-7-Cast-Members-91857.html

4. The script/story has to satisfy #1 without being an obvious retread of OT tropes, and nothing else. There has to be something new to avoid the "you've already seen this film in the 1977 version" criticism.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm rooting for the film, but we just don't have much evidence yet that 2, 3, and 4 are in the bag.

21. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    1. I dont agree. I think most critics will review it as a movie on its own merits. The reason it needs to feel like Star Wars is for the fans and how we view it compared to the OT down the road.

2. I agree. I am not worried about Ford (and he is by far the oldest) he has been active acting throughout the years, only worry I had was that he would come across as grumpy (which is why I thought it was funny JJ had the same worry) but it sounds like it lightened it up. Not worried about Hamill either, for one he is not that old, two he while not in big movies like Ford has been active also, he also seems to be a normal well adjusted person. Fisher is my concern, she has not aged well, has had alot of issues over the years, and has not been very active over the years. Hopefully she has a very minimal role.

3. Not worried about Isaac the least bit. I am someone concerned with Ridley, mostly because its a huge role and she has been in almost nothing. Boyega, I have not seen much of his work, not particularly worried.

22. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I just read the article, it pretty clear he was only talking about personal interaction in that article. Its possible that it carried over to her acting, but that is not what he was talking about.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  23. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    A chance of WINNING any of those awards? No. However if the film is good enough, I do think it could get nominated at least. Ever since the Academy has extended the number of Best Picture nominees you've had films over the past 6 years get nominated that aren't considered typical "academy films."

24. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Are we predicting percentage here? I'd say TFA will earn an overall 80-95% It will perform well in the box office (an understatement) and then it will also receive minor critiques in its reviews. It is a big commercial film after all, so mistakes will be made, jut nothing that will be detrimental to the film in any way.

25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    If I had to guess right now from what I know, I would predict high 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if it is higher than that, but anything above 93 would positively shock me.

Dewback likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.