main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rouges Bound

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Is this a book in the X-wing series? I read it in the book like in the front of Wedges Gamble. Ive just started reading the X-wing books, i left them until last because i didnt have as much interest in them as other. But they are really good. Ive never heard for Rouges Bound before so i was wondering if it was a book that title got changed?

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Probably not a Star Wars book. Maybe a Harlequin book, but probably not a Star Wars book.

3. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Old, unused titles.

Rogues Grounded = The Krytos Trap
    Rogues Unbound = The Bacta War

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Unless it says Star Wars on the cover, it's not a Star Wars book.

5. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Ha, i think i know the difference between a Star Wars book and a non-Star wars book. I said it was in the list of previously written and forthcoming STAR WARS books at the front of Wedges Gamble. Go check.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I found this in an old conversation with Michael Stackpole:

"<Fish> From <Thorin> Mr. Stackpole, why did the name for the 4th X-Wing book change from Rogues Unbound (as its reffered to at the front of Rogue Sqaudron) to The Bacta War, and did the plot change with it, or was the stuff in BW what you always intended?

<Stackpole> You must be from the UK, which is the only place Rogues Unbound appeared as a title.

<Fish> Thorin wants you to know that he is from the UK. <g>

<Stackpole> The deal was this: I had to come up with titles as the project started. I came up with Rogue squadron, Wedge's Gamble, Rogues Grounded and Rogues Unbound.

<GhentZ> Drat, I was going to ask that!

<Stackpole> tom Dupree, the editor at Bantam, said we'd have to change the last two titles because on the computers nad microfiche the books would just show up as ROGUE..., so anyone trying to order them wouldn't knwo what they were getting.

<Stackpole> within 5 minutes of my sending the fax that had those titles they were killed, but the fax went through to the UK for licensing purposes, hence the confusion"

For the whole chat go
    here

And it is something that seems to have been corrected in later UK printings as my copy of Wedge's Gamble has the correct titles.

7. j_hewlett

j_hewlett Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2004
    Weird, I was just flicking through my copy of The Crystal Star and noticed these titles, I presumed they were changed but then saw this thread and it confermed it. Now theres coinsedance.

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    well, they could have avoided the similarity in title names if Stackpole had misspelled Rogue as Rouge.

Rouge Squadron -- not quite Red Squadron, but still adding color to Imperial cheeks.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I swept into the thread thinking this was one of those oportunities for calling Rogue Ten his common misspelling Rouge Ten . . . and now I depart, disappointed, forlorn, a mirage of false hope. :_|

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Hmmm... I never heard this before...

Excellence: :mad:

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    It's been some time since I last looked in the front of Wedge's Gamble. But if it's there, with a couple paragraphs or so, it's more than less likely it's actually the title of a teaser designed to get you to buy and read the novel, kinda like a movie trailer. If such is the case, you'll eventually find it, the teaser paragraphs, in the story itself.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Now that I think about it---yes I can, think---publishers decide to change book titles for different countries for a variety of reasons. I just had a recent conversation with Walter Williams about it for one of his books.

It's too late now, my Gand wingmate. I was all ready then. My sardonic quip would've glittered those compound Gand eyes to a new UV spectrum . . . But now that you're here though late I just can't perform under pressure. [face_not_talking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.