Before - Legends Rough Place - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan mission - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Title: Rough Place
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, humor
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, OCs
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, Sith, holocron
    Summary: Qui-Gon takes Obi-Wan out to a cantina for a covert meeting.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

"Be mindful, my young Padawan. This place can be a little rough."

"I am prepared, Master."

Obi-Wan caught an amused glance from Qui-Gon from under the hood of his robe. But if his Master did not believe his sixteen year-old apprentice, he said nothing about it. He followed.

The back of Qui-Gon Jinn's dark brown robe and hood descended the narrow stairs, the broad shoulders blocking the dim yellowish light, casting long dark shadows on the pale, grimy walls. He turned right at the landing, under the light. Obi-Wan saw another landing, the stairs leading down to the left. Behind him, Obi-Wan heard heavy footsteps starting down from the entrance, but he did not look. He saw the entrance below. He wrinkled his nose. He could smell it, too.

A weapons detector plate on either side of the archway at the bottom of the stairs flashed and whirred when Qui-Gon passed through it. But no one stepped up to either Jedi. Obi-Wan saw a couple of tough, burly characters with enormous gray tusks, dented body armor and blasters in shoulder holsters. They narrowed their quad-eyes in their direction, but nothing more. Apparently, a lightsaber power cell wasn't enough to bother them.

The large room was dim, the tables full of multi-species customers, chatting, chattering, grunting, whistling. The yellow and orange table lights hardly dispelled the gloom. The cantina air was thick with the mixed body odors, antiseptic intoxicants and salty, sulphurous aromas that might have been either food or excrement. Obi-Wan stayed close as his Master made his way among the patrons.

Obi-Wan arched his back, away from the hand, or some type of appendage, suddenly running down his backside.

Ffffffffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttttttttt!!!!!

"Sheevee-evie-evie-evei!!"

Obi-Wan kept completely still, his Master's lightsaber blade less than a finger-length from his right ear. The touch on his back vanished and he heard someone shuffling away quickly. Qui-Gon, his face shadowed under his hood, glared over his head at whoever it had been. Obi-Wan did not look.

The bright green energy blade vanished. Qui-Gon turned around and continued. Obi-Wan kept close.

A serving counter, staffed by several tender droids took up most of the far wall, but Qui-Gon turned to his right, toward one of several side rooms of tables and booths along the wall. Stopping at one small booth, Qui-Gon just stared down at the two occupants. The female hissed, baring pointed teeth. The younger male nervously twitched his veined, flower-like ears, one of them tattered on a bottom edge.

Qui-Gon raised a hand. "It is time to leave." Obi-Wan felt the strong hint of threat in Qui-Gon's mind influence on them.

Still hissing and twitching, they edged out of their seats, staying as far away as they could from Qui-Gon. His Master slid into the newly vacated bench seat. Obi-Wan did the same.

Their backs to the wall, Obi-Wan scanned the room, his own face safely shadowed under his hood. The eyes and sensory stalks of a few neighboring patrons glanced toward them and then quickly away. His Master was not concerned with the whole room knowing that they were Jedi.

Beyond their table, Obi-Wan searched for a tall, broad shouldered Traguun. Perhaps there was a few possibilities on the far side of the room, but he couldn't be sure. There were too many people in the room, too much noise, too ma
  2. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Oh goody, another story. I've been keeping an eye open - and I love stories with Obi about this age, still learning but not too inexperienced.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes=D= another one of your marvelous stories with strange characters and my favorite Jedi pair.=D=
  4. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Valairy_Scot: Thanks for replying! And so glad you're enjoying the read. :) It's the most fun poking around with Jedi in general when you're doing it with young Obi-Wan learning about the Force on Qui-Gon's knee (metaphorically at least).

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks! I've found that you really have to flesh out the characters that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are interacting with to get the story to move. It slows down the writing, but that makes it more interesting. ;)

It's a little early to finish it on the next day, but I'm trying a few new things that accelerated the schedule.

5. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Part 2

Ffffffffffffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttttttttt!!!!!

Blue lightsaber flashing, Obi-Wan whirled up and out of his chair, the blade catching a red blaster bolt. The people at the other tables cried out and dove for cover as Obi-Wan ran toward the source of the weapon's fire - -

- - Right behind his Master, who leaped up and onto - -

- - one - -

- - two - -

- - three - -

- - four tabletops, green lightsaber blade whirling, catching and deflecting blaster bolts to the ceiling and upper walls. Drinks, utensils, table lights flew in all directions in his wake, the tables themselves falling, everything clattering to the floor, patrons diving for cover.

Eeeeee-yyyuuuupppphhhhhffffff!!!

"Aaaaaiiiiii!!!"

With a flashing bang and squeal of metaloid, the last blow sliced through the muzzle of the blaster and the arm that held it.

Obi-Wan skidded to a stop at his Master's side, the hoods of their robes thrown back, their heads bare. People hastily pushed themselves away from his lowered lightsaber, chairs falling over. He clicked it off. But the tip of his Master's blade stayed close to their attacker's face. She was young and humanoid, delicate pale features contorted in pain in the deadly green light so close over her.

Snarling, she drew back. Letting go of her wounded arm, she reached down, trying to pull something up but she got caught in the trailing sleeve of her black tunic.

FfffeeeEEEeeeeeZZZZZzzzzzfffff!!!

A second blaster clattered down into the shadows under overturned furniture. She bent forward, both arms clutched to her narrow chest. Qui-Gon's lightsaber went out and he reattached it to his belt. He bent down and pulled her up to her feet. The top of her head barely reached up to the middle of his chest.

Four of the tusked, burly guards moved in against the flow of patrons pushing away from the violence. A fifth guard dragged a shocked Y'Takr Ayr by the arm toward them. Obi-Wan put his hand on his saber and backed up, his eyes going to his Master who kept a firm grip on their attacker.

"Su-cha!"

The guards lowered their weapons, heads turning to the side. Their server, the curvy, blue-green young woman in the minimal red outfit slipped in between two of them as they all deferentially lowered their tusks toward her.

"No, no, no! Nothing she said of this to me! Nothing!" Ayr stammered, pleading to all, but especially to Qui-Gon. Their server silenced her with a glare. Then her accented eyes looked everyone up and down, her expression impatient.

"If you wish to settle your business with this person in a less crowded area, Jedi, my office in the back is available."

"Thank-you." Qui-Gon inclined his head toward her. "And I believe that this person will require medical assistance, if you have any available on the premises."

She sneered back. "Bring her with you." Her gaze shifted to one of the guards. "Pockr, bring that with you."

The guard grunted and stooped to pick up the remains of the injured woman's hand and blasters from behind the hem of Obi-Wan's robe. He hastily moved aside and followed Qui-Gon, their prisoner, the server and her guards.

She was not just a cantina server, but obviously managed the establishment, or was perhaps an owner. The serving droids behind the counter bowed their heads to her as she touched a palm control by a mirrored doorway. Their reflections were replaced by a portal into a long narrow corridor. She led them through, down between smooth, featureless beige surfaces and gray doors flush with the walls. The door at the end opened and they entered.

One entire glowing wall of the office, behind the desk, was shelves with all different kinds and sizes of colored bottles and boxes on them. A ventilator gently hummed fresh air from above. The guards deposited their attacker in one of the three low red, bowl-like chairs with a shiny bluish metaloid medical droid next to it.

"Aaaaah!" the woman cried out, her arms clutched to her chest. But the droid was aggressively programmed. It kept a grip on her collar while it
  6. earlybird-obi-wan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Meditating in a fresher[face_laugh][face_laugh]. A funny end to a funny story.

You always come up with strange beings and strange names and I like the stories.
  7. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Poor Obi - and he couldn't even fasten his pants properly. Qui knew how to handle him, though.

Very good!
  8. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    Loved it. Very unusual, as usual. :p The last scene has to be one of my favorites of yours.
  9. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
  10. ratna Jedi Knight

star 4
    Another gem, delightful as always!
  11. Ubersue Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I loved this! Your teenage Obi-Wan is adorable. I loved the interaction between in him and Qui-Gon: How they worked together and would use signals to warn each other, and how Qui-Gon set up challenges to test him-- like how he could handle himself drunk. :D

Looking forward to read more of your stuff. Nicely done! :)
  12. littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    thanks for another wonderful story about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

nice job!!=D=
  13. MrMuse Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Really fun, to few stories about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan out there.
  14. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Catching up ..... catching up ........ less than a year behind ......

earlybird-obi-wan, Valairy_Scot, LuvEwan, PadawanKitara, ratna, Ubersue, littleobiwankenobi, MrMuse: Thank-you!

It seems like Jedi have such a sheltered upbringing in the temple, but they're supposed to go out into the unsavory parts of the galaxy to uphold justice...... so that would be part of Obi-Wan's training. And we've seen him drink in a few bars, so one wonders what it was like when he had his first one.... [face_whistling]

15. BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm delurking after perusing several of your fics. I have to say that I've really enjoyed your writing!

This particular vignette was wonderfully amusing. The image of Qui and Obi meditating in a fresher makes me wonder in what other interesting places they have done so. For some reason I feel that Yoda probably has some eccentric meditating stories as well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this piece. Your writing is so clear and always a joy to read!
  16. obimom Jedi Master

star 4
    Another very unique and enjoyable story featuring out favorite Jedi team.

Loved it.
  17. Gkilkenny Jedi Master

star 4
    I like stories of young Obi-Wan and his Master.
    =D=
  18. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    BottledUpInside: Thanks for de-lurking and reading! Jedi can do so many amazing things, but talents like meditating in public rest rooms tend to be overlooked. ;)

obimom: Thank-you!:)

Gkilkenny: Thanks! Obi-Wan is quite likable at that age. :D

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.