main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Royal Family Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I wouldn't sweat it, RogueTen. The guy believes that Les Miserables took place during the year Napoleon fell and not during a popular uprising against Louis-Phillippe.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    its just... the amount of thinking and study that has seemingly gone into such a screwed up worldview... i want to understand the psychology that would drive such effort only to wind up in such a twisted wreckage of complete blithering nonsense but its just... it doesnt make any sense at all. i cannot fathom it

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

Maybe you should read my post again. Specifically the part where I mentioned governments have been doing this sort of financial ****ery to their people for the past several hundred years, with or without a king. Perhaps you wouldn't have felt the need to go to ad hominem attacks and thus engage in intellectually dishonest debating. I'm saying people who trust their governments -- of any stripe, monarchic or democratic -- are seeing things rather more idealistically than history, particularly economic history, suggests they be warranted.

If I have the tenor of your post right, you seem to be justifying the various horrors that the Revolution imposed on its own people on the basis that it was a "desperate" time. I may also have it wrong, but you seem to be of the view that more or less anything's justifiable by a government in the case of an "emergency". You started by saying it was so much easier to just wheel out the guillotine.

The Reign of Terror occurs in the revolutionary period, does it not? 1793-1794, Maximilian Robespierre? Between 16,000 and 40,000 French citizens, summarily executed without trial? Gosh. So different to the days of Louis. How about the Law of the Maximum, aimed at the rich, wound up condemning mostly poor merchants to the death penalty in practice? Or shall we talk instead about the 1793 peasant revolt in the Vendee -- against the Revolution? I mean, let's give the good revolutionary General Westermann the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't in fact pen the letter where he proclaimed how he crushed children under his horses. Even leaving that aside, that revolt cost roughly 170,000 lives on both sides. 20,000-50,000 of those were Vendean civilians not under arms.

But hey: I'm sure the hundreds of thousands dead - many not in revolt, but on summary execution without trial - because some people didn't agree with the Revolution was totally worth it. After all, desperate times and all that.

My main point comes down to this: whether it's by monarchy or by democratic government, people keep getting screwed by the people in power messing with and eventually devaluing fiat currency. The fact that the French currency went through two crises -- one under its kings with John Law, and the other under its revolutionary government with the failure of the assignats and consequent hyperinflation -- demonstrates that. When you look at the root causes economically, time and again the answer is the same: government messes with its fiat currency for its own ends. My main point is that, contrary to your rather flippant stance on this, the forty years of economic and social chaos following rather demonstrates that it's not quite so simple to just roll out the guillotine.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    This may be the most derailed I've ever seen a thread get. Wow.

Anyway, Kate apparently slipped up yesterday, and indicated they were expecting a girl:

The speculation obviously being that the "d" was for "daughter".

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or dude.

AaylaSecurOWNED and zigazigahh like this.
  6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Or drag queen.

ophelia likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, guess they'd better hurry up with those laws then.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or dead weight.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Maybe they thought their drug dealer would really like the bear.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So the royal baby is due any second now -- standard procedure seems to be that a member of the royal family will leave the hospital carrying a red folder containing the name of the new prince or princess, and said person will be transported to Buckingham Palace where the name will be placed inside a silver frame and then placed on an easel to be displayed in front of the Palace grounds.

I envy those individuals who will be there to be the first people in the world to know the name of the future king or queen.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh jello. What am I to do with you.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ultra first world problems, Jello.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello I see you are operating on the fallacious assumption that Queen Elizabeth II is still capable of experiencing mundane mortal phenomena such as "time" and "death."

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Vivat regina in aeternum

Saintheart and Ramza like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What a pain in the ass. They should consider a new procedure of mass texting or e-mails.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Palace does have a twitter account (blech!) but some things need to be done the proper way.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    They will name him Corey. @};-

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    And I assume Juliet if it's a girl?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They already changed the firstborn rule to disregard gender, right?

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

IIRC yes, Charles and the Queen did that years ago.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If David Icke is right, would video of the birth resemble the birthing scene from V: The Final Battle?

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If the Queen sees her shadow, will there be six more weeks of this crap?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nope -- new as of this year. Wasn't an issue before then bc Charles had sons and as a firstborn male himself.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

24. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    When you said "due any second" yesterday, I assumed you meant there was some indication that she had gone into labor. Not "this is her due date and I have no idea how pregnancy usually pans out in real life."

Juliet316, Darth Guy, jp-30 and 2 others like this.
  25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    They should name the baby Juli now, whether boy or girl. Cuz it works both ways.