main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Royal Family Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What?

This is exactly backwards. The only thing i have in fact said is that royalty, as an idea, is bad. I have been asking for two days straight and across a half dozen pages of this thread for someone to give me a reason to think otherwise. Instead, all I've gotten for the most part is non-sequitur criticisms of modern America.

I'm perfectly open to new ideas. I'd love to hear why the idea of monarchy is good. Just give your reasons! Not comments about how at least it's not Pol Pot, or discourses on how the electoral college doesn't have a legitimate purpose in American Presidential elections. Just tell me. Why. You think. The idea of royalty is good.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It gives an impartial person that can step in when the parliamentary system is not currently working in the people's interest. Recently there was a leadership change in Australia, the new/old PM Kevin Rudd had to have the confidence of the parliament in order to govern as PM. If he had not, the Governor General, HM 's representative, would have called an election.

The Queen is not tied to party, he impartiality is her best asset.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bwahaha

Man, the Windsors are very lucky. They managed to have two well-liked monarchs with incredibly long reigns in two centuries. Imagine if they hadn't, as with pretty every dynasty ever. And they cloaked themselves in British identity to avoid being overtaken by that wave.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think anyone honestly believes they are superior people. It's a hereditary head of state position, that's all.

The monarch of England is still the head of state for a good chunk of the world beyond the UK. Weddings and births are basically the most significant things that the British monarchy can still do. And both William and Kate seem like a very modern, happy, friendly, normal couple, which people see as inspiring and some see them as role-models. And this trend within the royal family started with Diana. That's why they're getting this attention, from people in the Commonwealth and beyond. Now, I personally wouldn't mind if the UK abolished the monarchy, but even the royal family would still probably be celebrated.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ender and Jello have both admitted to thinking the British Royal family is superior to them (and everyone else).

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not really. Most of the Commonwealth of Nations, including the giant countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nigeria, don't have the Queen as their head of state, and many of those that do are very tiny.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    *ahem*

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I see your reading comprehension has not improved.

Unless you mean Australia is a giant landmass. Okay? Does that really count when there are only like 25 million people compared to India's 1+ billion?

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Autsralia and Canada have the Queen as the head of state. A d neither can be described as "very tiny".

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I said most. Yes, the white (I'm sure that has nothing to do with them keeping the monarchy) former colonies aren't particularly tiny in terms of population, but Tuvalu, Barbados, the Bahamas, and others that deign to call Liz their head of state are.

11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Whilst the Queen and the royal family are generally well regarded in Australia, there is still a very strong and vocal Republican movement. I think the institution of the monarchy and the concept of royalty are entirely stupid but the only reason why I don't really care to change our current system in Australia is because I don't want to see resources wasted on changing a system which works well and would only be changed for the sake of change. But Wocky is right, there is absolutely no legitimate reason why we should as a society grant privileges to a particular family based purely upon some notion that the divine right of kings is a concept that still holds any relevance today.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    As far as I understand, most people are willing to defer the question if becoming a republic until the Queen has gone, though William and Kate may liven things up.

JW, I gave you an answer. Does that satisfy you?

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So when do we speculate what cool toys William and Kate will buy for the baby?!

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I was trying to wait to offer something thoughtful. But yes, it, does. Though (as I'll probably get into later, and Even has touched on), I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning, I do honor you hugely for doing what literally no one else on your side of the argument had the courage or intellectual honesty to do. Respect, Katana.

Katana_Geldar likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I can appreciate why people think the Monarchy is antiquated. Still, as a guy who automatically distrusts anyone who aspires to a position of power, I much prefer having a hereditary -- rather than elected -- Head of State. Partially because of the sense of grand continuity it provides, yes, but mainly because it prevents the position from being a prize and instead frames it as a duty.

I'd feel differently if I lived in an absolute monarchy, of course. :p

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    An excellent point.

For as much as we've been focusing on the pomp and circumstance of this week's events, we should always recall that as much now as when they were being crowned Emperors in India, the British Crown can never be separated from the weight of this young white man's burden.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Blair never tried to dismantle it and talks at length of his fondness for Her Majesty.

Google popular support for the monarchy in the UK wocky. Then go back to your grubby little presidency and silly Republic!

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony!

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Pity they weren't quite so strong or quite so vocal when Australia had its referendum offering to turn Australia into a Republic, of course.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You don't think that's a part of it, though? They modernized like everyone else. Your argument that the monarchs of the 18th and 19th century were bad is stupid -- the republican presidents of the 18th and 19th century were bad too. The common people were bad. Everyone was a racist, sexist, awful person.

So don't give me these silly arguments about how the Windsors were lucky -- they modernized, and so did the surviving royal houses of Europe.

I'll grant you one thing: the Windsors are lucky that Edward VIII sucked, because his abdication -- though a tremendous disgrace -- was the best thing that could have happened to the monarchy. George VI, the Conservatives, and Labour were all anti-fascist, but Edward VIII wasn't... and that could have been very, very bad.

They are socially superior, and that's a fact. It's just that you and your ilk confuse social superiority with innate superiority: social superiority means they outrank us. They're royalty, it's obvious that they do. That's what social status means. Anybody who doesn't agree that royalty has higher social status than the average person on the street is delusional.

The Windsors don't rule on the basis of divine right -- despite the dei gratia that you see everywhere -- but on the basis of law.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The Windsors are simply descendants from a line of ancestors whose legitimacy and authority as monarchs was derived on the basis of divine right - the more recent laws give practical legal effect to that authority and privilege but are not the source of it.

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Perhaps next time you might commence an argument against the monarchy by not comparing ascension to head of State by dint of bloodline with ascension to head of State by "experience and skill", as you did at the start, Wock? That's where the argument started. And as I said before, I don't need to argue for the monarchy. I merely need to illustrate the silliness of the comparator system you chose.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, their legitimacy and authority as monarchs came from 1. war and 2. feudal land ownership. Divine right was a later excuse the long-time descendants of former warring chieftains used to justify their rule, but it was never all that strong in England. There was a brief period where the Tudors and Stuarts trumpeted it about, but it didn't last very long and the Glorious Revolution quickly put an end to that.

Divine right is a doctrine that held in and underpinned absolute monarchies: the English -- later British -- monarchy was upheld by the twin pillars of law and tradition. But divine right was only ever a phase in the English tradition -- after the conquest, it was law that established the monarchy and its relationship among the feudal lords and law that transformed it into a constitutional monarchy in the 18th through 20th centuries.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I thought the monarchy was established when Aegon and his sisters flew their dragons over the countryside and subdued the masses into accepting the Targaryen dynasty.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Field of Fire never forget [face_flag]

LostOnHoth and timmoishere like this.