main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Royal Family Thread (Gone Girl Edition)

Discussion in 'Community' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Did Kate really Photoshop the picture of her children?

1. Yes, in keeping with the can-do, salt of the earth image the Royals are known for

8.7%
  2. No, one of their many courtiers did it and she's taking the blame for some reason

17.4%
  3. No, the dastardly Megan Markle hacked Kensington Palace to frame Kate

21.7%
  4. No, it wasn't Photoshopped. Her kids and their clothes just look like that

17.4%
  5. No, she's actually dead

34.8%
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I, for one, am glad to not believe that anyone is superior to me simply based on what family they're born to.

2. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I would diagnose that as more likely a tapeworm. Any doctors here on the forum want to comment?

3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    OZK isn't here right now, but I think he'd say something along the lines of "blah blah circumcision blah."

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Of course he's not here right now. He's too busy sneaking past royal security so he can convince Kate not to snip.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I like how you use the word believe. People believe in god; you chose to believe that.

Still wrong.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pretty sure that people like the duke and duchess because they are "nice, respectable young people" who we wouldn't have otherwise known of aside from their name.

Tell me how that's different than the Obamas -- and moreover, defend your point about the "actual elements of their own behavior." Tell me what about the Obama girls you find so terribly praiseworthy.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Can I answer for him?

"Because shut up, that's why"

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, yes, Ender. "Sean you're an atheist so if you disagree with me on any other point it conflicts with your atheism!"

Yeah, you've used the atheism card before.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Jello, I have already discussed people who enjoy the two as celebrities, and said I had no problem with that. As I made quite clear in my response to NYCitygurl, my objection is to the specific designation of royalty, and its implications. I object to the rhetorical program that does and would promote them relentlessly, regardless of any personal characteristics people did or did not find charming. Are you ever going to respond to this part of the argument? And by part, I mean, you know, "the whole thing?"

Specific incidents I've enjoyed involving the Obama girls include, as I've mentioned before, hearing Sasha's reactions to staying in a Hilton hotel, and that Malia makes inquiry into her father's work on occasion ("Daddy, did they plug the hole yet?"). For that matter, I like that they call him "Daddy" as opposed to "Papa" or "Dad" or some other thing. I like the obvious affection in the way they started prodding all over him in their one televised interview, when they were pointing out how old all his clothes were. Is all that stuff pretty typical behavior for kids their age? Absolutely. Are they pretty trivial reasons to like someone? Yeah. You know what's similar on both counts? Becoming wildly popular for making an ugly face when you are disappointed about losing a sports competition (McKayla Maroney).

That's why I specifically said I don't have a problem with that stuff. People can like who they want. And it's not for me to sit in judgment over people and tell them who has a "good" reason and who has an "unworthy" one. But I do feel justified in insisting that they have a reason. The tautological justifications of royal adoration are wrong-headed and out-moded, and I feel no shame in insisting as much. Despite your insistence to the contrary, it's not really like any other sort of celebrity or popularity at all.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Better nice and respectable girls like the Obama girls and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge than trash like Paris Hilton, and Kim Kardashian who are only know for who they were having sex with on a video tape.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Right, ok, see this is what happens when you're born into a lesser family that obviously couldn't afford a good education for you. You struggle with comprehension.

You said you don't believe that people are better because of what family they were born into. I said that's wrong, in the same way people who believe in God are wrong. At least you can now appreciate how faith leads to factual errors!

12. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Any word on whether William is the father?

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not really sure how you can put a lack of belief on the same plane as a belief, but uh, whatever floats your boat, Ender.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Anyone ever watch the season 1 finale of Nip/Tuck? The birth of "Christian's" son? ;)

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The European Monarchs generally have actual jobs (The Queen of Denmark recently did the costumes for a big stage production of something, The Dutch Crown-Prince has a day job as an expert on Water Management last I heard), unlike ours who don't do work outside of being in the military for a while.

Some of them also do far more

I'm fine with having a Monarchy, less so with the idea that inherited privilege makes you better than other people. The Dutch Monarchy have been known cycle around on bicycles like regular folk rather than travel in big fancy cars or carriages.
    The class system needs to be done away with. The Royals aren't better than everyone else because they own big castles and fancy jewels, otherwise isn't Paris Hilton better than us because she is heiress to a large empire?

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, I'm sure their hundreds of charitable works don't actually count.

17. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know which side of this I fall on. I like to see what the royals are up to, I'm excited about the news, and I did wake up at like 4am to watch their wedding last year. OTOH, the coverage of this has already been ridiculous. It was the top story on Today, with a detailed account of how everything went down yesterday, including input from a doctor, a london correspondent, and the royal correspondent, and they're still teasing more pregnancy news coming up in the broadcast. W.T.H. I mean, it's not like their American royalty, and I can't think of anyone else - American celebrity or otherwise - who would get this kind of media over a pregnancy announcement. Also, the baby is probably the size of a walnut... if that. What else could possibly be said?

Edit: "Coming up next on Today: what the royal baby could look like." ...Seriously?

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I was watching Sky News International last night at eith er 9 or 10 pm, the first 10 minutes were just about this story. That's a bit absurd.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You're right; I do find them fascinating. As I have found the last thousand years of their ancestors and other European monarchs fascinating.

I think there are worse things that could be tied to broader national identity. And the family as a whole seems pretty decent. They do a ton of charitable works, support their country internationally (William, with others, went to FIFA and tried to get the World Cup games to England, which would have brought in money for the country), and they don't wield much/any actual power.

Is the amount of coverage outside of People a bit ridiculous? Yes. But I think it's all meant in good fun and there's no harm in it.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    There's also now speculation that she could have twins, which is one possible explanation of the severe morning sickness. First one down the birth canal gets to be monarch! Or, better yet, if it's a c-section, the OB-GYN essentially picks the future monarch!

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am very excited for the arrival of a new British "royal" who will grow up and decide to randomly visit Ireland, inciting riots and infuriating the majority of locals.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Here's what I have to say about this royal baby:

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The seed is strong.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There could be far more worse, and depressing things the media could be obssessing over

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's nice to have a positive big news story. There really aren't that many.

EDIT: Positive, lol.