main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Royal Guards: Useless

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, May 11, 2014.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    We see the red-robed Royal Guards in AOTC and ROTS, but they seem extremely ineffective. The one time they actually have to defend their Emperor from a threat they get thrown aside like a sack of potatoes. I guess that we have to cut them some slack, considering that they were up against Yoda, who almost beat Palpatine. But these guards seem completely useless. Did they ever actually defend their master from any threats?

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    In the pre-ROTS EU, they got built up into more-elite-than-elite combatants who could even use the dark side of the Force. Before ROTS, there were even threads along the lines of "omfg teh red guards are in ep3 i hope we see red guards killin Jedi 1handed RED GUARDS 4EVA!!!!" Their failure against Yoda was probably a little joke at our expense.

Darth Dnej and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Well we do know that after ROTJ they kept on fighting the new republic in the Crimson Empire trilogy

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    They're supposed to be elite fighters, just not against Force-wielding opponents.

Darth Dnej and Marco1907 like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    They were not useless IMO. They provided great comic relief.

Darth Dnej and CairnsTony like this.
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The royal guards stand no chance against a powerful master like Yoda. They are probably pretty effective against normal opponents.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why would the Emperor employ ineffectual guards? I think the incompetence against Yoda was merely a deliberate attempt to make the Frog seem untouchable. For some it worked for others (me) it doesn't.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If we're going to talk about it, we have to show it.

[​IMG]

:D

9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Would you have preferred Yoda deflect Palpatine's lightning at the guards, (as he does in the novelization) and knock them out as opposed to the dismissive Force push?

rumsmuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I would not argue that the Crimson Guard is useless. They merely were caught off guard. :D

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it just shows how bad-ass yoda is. if you remember he also throws sidious all the way into his chair.

Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Imperial Guard situation is kind of like the Clones. In the films the Clones are better than average fighters, but in TCW Series and EU their are incredible Clones who revival Jedi and Sith! Same goes for the Imperial Guards. In the films they basically just deter with looks, in Crimson Empire, they are a real threat.

13. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    I remember seeing them for the first time in the OT and falling in love. And then getting hyped that maybe, just maybe during the PT we'd see these bad mofo's unleash!.... But, yeah... No... Just like ornamental decorations. Even the dumb battle droids had more action.

gambit420 likes this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Vialco, Yoda deflecting Force Lightning to take out the Imperial guards would have been quite a spectacle. However, I think for film purposes it would have distracted from the main conflict between Emperor and Jedi Grand Master.

15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh, I agree. I think the way that Yoda disposes of the guards is meant to signify just how powerful he really is, and that he's there to end the Sith once and for all.

Revanfan1 and Kato Sai like this.
  16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I bet they can handle themselves quite well against a regular Jedi. But not Master Yoda.

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Before Revenge of the Sith, I imagined the Royal Guards doing what we saw Dooku's guards do on his ship with their lightsaber-blocking staffs at the beginning. I really looked forward to seeing them in action, and then hoped to see them in The Clone Wars where they were suspiciously absent.

whostheBossk and Kato Sai like this.
  18. Brady2121

Brady2121 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2014
    They aren't completely useless.... you gotta admit, they look pretty cool. Not to mention they are pretty fun characters to use in Lego Stars: The Complete Saga ;)

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Their weapons seem to be more like rifles than staffs, given how they turn and point them at Yoda, presumably to shoot him. A bit unwieldy for rifles though, especially for the Emperor's personal guards. I would think that they'd be better off with state-of-the-art blasters that would be highly lethal and accurate. Though I admit that the guards look pretty cool holding those long rifles. Makes them look like the King's Guards from medieval times.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    A reason to have Royal Guards is that if Palpatine was ever attacked either they would deal with the threat or at least buy Palps enough time to react. They are first line of defence and early warning system combined.

Andy Wylde, Marco1907 and Vialco like this.
  21. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I remember the third or fourth theatrical viewing of Episode One when I realized the blue chancellor's guards were just like differently colored Emperor's Royal Guards with different uniform touches. That's the neatest thing about Star Wars, although now that kind of evolution in design is more expected. Anyway, I still don't know why the red guards weren't seen in The Clone Wars show but were seen with Palpatine in Attack of the Clones. If I weren't so shy, I would have asked a question about them at Celebration IV.

22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I could just keep watching that.

whostheBossk, TX-20 and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I always disliked the (now defunct) EU stories about them, which followed the typical pattern of taking anything seen on screen and turning it into elite fighting forces which have nothing to do with anything seen on screen.

In the real world, where such positions are held by members of the military, it is selective but ceremonial. It isn't like the elite Navy Seals are the ones standing outside the White House or Buckingham Palace. I always considered the same for the Emperor's Royal Guard.

Vialco likes this.
  24. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Queue Wackity Sax...

Sarge likes this.
  25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Oops, I meant Celebration V.