main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Royal Guards: Useless

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, May 11, 2014.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Do Royal Guards then betray that Palpatine is not omnipotent? Why does the most powerful Sith and ruler of the Galatic Empire need guards? He was able to defeat the most powerful Jedi at the time, Yoda, but needs guards? Lets hope they were merely for show. But, even then that gives the impression Palpatine is not all powerful. On the other hand, maybe that is what Sidious wants, to make his enemies think he is vulnerable, when really he can Force Lightning them to oblivion.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

the emperor always has guards. firstly, no one alive know palps is a sith that can kick ass. they think he's just an old man. secondly, palps uses the guards for real protection in case he needs extra help. after the yoda fight, palps immediately sent tons of clones to hunt for him. if palps ever felt overwhelmed he would instantly call for help. he's not stupid.

Marco1907 likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Clearly they are functionally useless in the movies, but I think they serve a ceremonial and symbolic role. Speaking of useless, what about the the "priests / servants/advisors" who are seeen in the throne room in ROTJ. What the heck is their purpose?

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the same as a celebrity entourage. they do everything for the person. get the chips and soda, schedule appointments, manicure, etc.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Now playing on HBO: Entourage- Emperor Series

Gamiel and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I was referring to Palpatine post ascent to Emperor (Late ROTS to ROTJ). By then he is already known as Dark Sider and thus there is no need to have guards for the pretense or pretending that he is not a Sith.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think its ceremonial which helps feed Palpatine's ginormous ego.

8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Ceremonial makes sense. Perhaps it is just a step up from Vader getting an entire battalion of Storm Troopers to greet him at the Death Star II docking bay. Having red imperial guards may just be Palpatine saying, "yes my apprentice you have the warriors in white, but I am the Empire! I have red guards that convey my authority!" The Imperial Guards could also be merely a mirror of the Praetorum Elite Guard that the Caesars had.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    who knows he's a darksider? no one except yoda, obi and a few others. most people have no idea.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Palpatine is saying things like "Only together can we turn him to the Dark Side of the Force" in RoTJ with his advisers a few feet away at most, he may have dropped the charade of being an ordinary person somewhat.

Kato Sai and Bazinga'd like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I think the Imperial Guard was aware of who the Chancellor was.

12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Like others have said we do not get to see them do much other than stand around in the movies and even in TCW. In the Old EU aka "Legends" Continuity they were awesome warriors who could take on Jedi.

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

in reply to my own post, the poster said palps is already known as a darksider. that's not true. his guards knew, his assistants and other higher ups like tarkin did but the general public, senators, etc, did not know he was a sith lord.

Saga - Did the galaxy know that Palpatine was a Sith Lord? | Jedi Council Forums

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

That sounds about right.