main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars RPF Lightsaber Combat thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by DarthKakarot, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IC: Sarge
    Forest

I gestured for Skyla Skywalker to lower her saber. "In a moment, Padawan. First, let me tell you a story.

"There was a law enforcement officer in a big city, just a beat cop working the wrong side of town, who understood how dangerous his job was, so he got training in techniques for disarming attackers. He asked his family to help him practice and gave his wife and kids toy guns. At unexpected moments they would draw a toy gun and point it at him, and he would snatch it out of their hands before they could pull the trigger, then he'd give it back so they could try to surprise him again later. He got very good at it. Then one day when he was out on patrol a criminal drew a gun. He instantly responded just as he had practiced, grabbing the gun without a moment's hesitation. And then... he automatically gave the gun back to the crook, just the way he'd been practicing. His muscle memory overrode his common sense.

"When my blade brushed your shoulder, you turned off your saber. In a practice session between friends, that's fine. But you don't want to build a habit pattern of doing that. Can you imagine what would happen if you were fighting for your life against a Sith who cut you and you had a habit of deactivating your blade when you were cut? That kind of mistake can ruin your whole day.

"What I'd like to see you do instead is pull back into a defensive posture, move away if possible, and call "Hold!" That will let a practice opponent know that you both should pause for a moment to see if something is wrong, and it will keep you ready to defend yourself if your opponent continues to attack.

"There's an old military saying: Train like you'd fight and fight like you'd trained. Personally, I think this kind of sparring is a fun game, but let's remember that we're doing this to prepare for dangerous battles with those who want us dead. Understand?"

The Vanguard and Skyla Skywalker like this.
  2. Skyla Skywalker

Skyla Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Forest

"Understood Master. It wouldn't just ruin your day, it could ruin your life. That is, if you still had one." I say quietly.

Sarge

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Forest

"Exactly, Padawan. Don't ever doubt that I'm doing my best to prepare you to do your duty as a knight in a dangerous world. And that includes preparing you for-" I suddenly activated my madu and hurled it at her, sending it spinning through the air like a Frisbee "-surprise attack!"

Skyla Skywalker

The Vanguard and Skyla Skywalker like this.
  4. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Forest

I lift my saber and block the attack. "What was that for?!" [face_laugh]

Sarge

The Vanguard and Sarge like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Forest

I ignored the madu which fell deactivated to the ground as I lit my saber and lunged forward with a straight thrust aimed at her abdomen.

"Training, Padawan! Now show me how strong you are!" :p

Skyla Skywalker

The Vanguard likes this.
  6. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Forest

I step to the left and block the hit. I swing my saber towards my Master's side. "Gladly."

Sarge

The Vanguard likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Forest

My blade swept down in a curving parry that deflected her cut, then I leaped up in a Force-enhanced jump, caught a limb 15 feet up with my left hand, and swung myself around it, coming to halt standing atop the thick tree branch, brandishing my saber and looking down at my Padawan. "Hey, Skyla, have you ever heard the stories about the Jedi squirrel? Let's see if you have that gift!"

Skyla Skywalker, I need to sign off for the night, so you can take some time with your next reply. I hope you're having half as much fun as I am. ;)

Skyla Skywalker likes this.
  8. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Forest

"Woah." I look up and say. I use the force to propel myself as high as I can go. I can't go as high as Sarge yet. I land back on my feet. I close my eyes and meditate for a moment. I jump again, and just barely make it. I grab on with one hand, and pull myself up.

OoC- Is this what you meant by Jedi Squirrel? [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    up a tree

"Very good, Skyla. Got your balance now?"

My blade darted forward in a thrust toward her foot. Time to see if her abilities with the Force could keep her balanced when her concentration needed to be elsewhere...

Skyla Skywalker

10. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

I swing my lightsaber down towards my feet. I feel my grip on the branch loosening. I readjust my grip, and swipe my saber towards my Master's waist.

Sarge

Sarge likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Up a tree

I sensed that my own balance was a bit precarious as my padawan's blade sliced toward my midsection. Rather than try to fight my unsteadiness, I leaned out of the way of her swing, tilting myself too far to the side, then used the angle of my body to jump sideways to another branch.

"The fight is over here, Skyla! You can keep up with an old man like me, right?" :D:bluesaber:

Skyla Skywalker

The Vanguard likes this.
  12. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

"Sure I can!" I use all my strength to leap to the other branch. I grab onto it with a firm grip, making sure not to let myself fall. I take another swing at his arm this time. This way I can make him fall... I think to myself while I swing my saber towards my masters upper arm.

Sarge

Sarge and The Vanguard like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Forest

That took me by surprise! I barely let go in time, just getting my knuckle hair singed as I dropped out of the tree and down to the forest floor. Using the energy of the fall to roll to my feet, I darted behind a big tree trunk, stilled my breathing as I deactivated my saber, and listened for my Padawan. Was she coming after me? I couldn't hear her. I leaped up into another tree, moving as silently as I could, and hoped she wouldn't spot the slight quiver of the branch that I hauled myself up to. In moments, I was standing balanced atop the branch, ears tuned for any sound of Padawan movement. Either she was a master of silent movement, or she wasn't moving at all. I reached out with the Force, hoping I could sense her presence without giving away my own location.

Skyla Skywalker

14. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

I could hear my master moving as he fell off the branch, but I couldn't see him. I listen carefully, and hear the slight rustle of leaves. I jump down, and look for my master. I look up to see him standing atop a branch. I jump again with all of my strength, and grab onto the branch. I push myself up, and balance on the branch. I take another fast swing at @Sarge's waist. As I swing my saber, I almost fall. I can feel myself losing my balance, but I manage to stay up.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Up a tree

Her balance was precarious, but holding as we exchanged cuts, parries, and thrusts. Behind my back, my hand was gesturing...

"Very good, Padawan, your control is impressive for one so young. You have the potential to go far in the Jedi Order."

I talked loudly and scraped my blade against hers in a long circular envelopment, doing my best to drown out the noise of my dropped madu as I Force-levitated it up behind her and reactivated it. Time for another lesson in situational awareness.

Skyla Skywalker

16. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

I could sense something behind me, so I glance back. I can see @Sarge's madu levitating behind me. "Is this why you were talking so loudly?" I say while lifting my lightsaber. I was ready for his attack.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Up a tree

"Your awareness is commendable. But how do you intend to defend yourself when you may be attacked from two directions simultaneously and you can only parry one? A Jedi has to be ready to deal with these kinds of challenges."

I lunged in a saber thrust for her face and simultaneously Force-pushed the madu at her back, launching the two attacks from opposite directions at exactly the same time.

Skyla Skywalker

18. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    OoC- When I refreshed the page, it deleted my original.

IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

I duck, blocking the lightsaber attack. At the same time, I swing my saber behind my back to deflect the madu. My foot slips, and I start to fall. I grab onto the branch and pull myself back up. I need to be more careful.

Sarge

Sarge likes this.
  19. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    Double post glitch

BookExogorth likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Up a tree

Remembering what my precocious Padawan had just done to me, I lightly swung my blade at the hand she was using to pull herself back onto the branch.

"Since you invented this tactic, you must have your own way to counter it, right?"

Skyla Skywalker

21. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC- Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

As he swings his blade towards my hand, I let go with that hand and grab onto the branch with my other hand.

Sarge

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Up a tree

As she switched hands on the branch, I swung my saber blade toward her other hand. This had the potential to get very repetitive.

"I can do this all day. How do you propose to break the stalemate, Padawan?"

Skyla Skywalker

Skyla Skywalker and BookExogorth like this.
  23. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    IC-Skyla Skywalker
    Up a tree

I continue switching hands for a while. It's getting very repetitive, so I drop from the branch. I land on my feet, and run away. I deactivate my saber, and hide in one of the bushes. I stay quiet.

Sarge

Sarge likes this.
  24. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    DOUBLE POST GLITCH AGAIN!

*sigh*

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Forest

I dropped out of the tree, sat on the ground leaning back against the tree trunk, and looked up through the branches at the evening sky. The stars would be coming out soon.

In time, she will come to me. I have foreseen it.

Skyla Skywalker

26. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    Skyla Skywalker
    In a bush

I wait. He will have to come to me. I camp out in the bush for a while, noticing that it is getting dark. I can't give in... I think to myself.

Sarge

27. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Under a tree

I whistled softly and a familiar presence drew near. I smiled and said softly, "Hello, old friend, it's me again. What have you been up to? Gathering nuts? While you're out wandering around, see if you can find my Padawan. I sense she is not far."

Skyla Skywalker, you hear a faint scratching sound in your bush. There is a squirrel perched on a branch just out of your arm's reach, sitting on its haunches and clutching a nut in its forepaws. Its fur is a smooth glossy chestnut shade, and its tail is beautifully fluffed and arched behind to balance the body. This may be the prettiest squirrel you have ever seen. It is watching you closely, wary and alert, but not fearful.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.