main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference RPF Opinion Poll: Where Should The Social Threads Go? POLL CLOSED, see last post for outcome

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Aug 1, 2010.

?

RPF Opinion Poll: Where Should The Social Threads Go?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2010.
  1. I like them as they are now, in the RPR.

34.4%
  2. Go back to having a social thread in each forum, but retain the OOC and IC social threads in the RPR

46.9%
  3. Put everything back!

15.6%
  4. Other (please specify)

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    One problem I have with this poll (other then the fact that the votes are too close to my liking :p ) that I think should be addressed. Currently I see 3 votes in the Put Everything Back option. Now, if the votes ended up going like...say...9 for option 1 and 8 for option 2 with the same 3 for option 3, would the result still turn out as putting the social threads back or will the result be to keep things where they are now?

Cause quite honestly I'd call bull^*#@ on that if its decided to keep everything the way it was just because 3 people voted for option 3. You already had someone who thought that the two options were the same thing so it could be possible that the 3 people that voted for option 3 only did so because they got confused between that option and option 2.

2. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree with Blu here actually. Options 2 and 3 are virtually identical. And having them both up there is a tad bit confusing, especially before you explained them. Both essentially have the social threads returning to where they belong, and the only difference is the IC and OOC threads which honestly can stay either way. By splitting those two options like that you've split votes which is entirely unfair.

Plus what Sarge just said while I was typing. The only reason I voted for 3 over 2 was because I honestly didn't see the difference. And to have 1 win over 2 when 2 and 3 are the same and their combined votes overdo 1 is as sarge said, bull.

3. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I voted for the second option. I've always felt that the threads are there to help direct traffic to the games. And, while they don't always accomplish their mission, it's hard for that to happen if they aren't in the forums. Plus I like having that little bit of OOC in with the the 'serious business' of the IC games.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Well it sounds like they're taking the discussion into more account than the actual votes, sarge. So I doubt that it will be as you're fearing. Its not being a total democracy, it sounds like Xani and Peng still get the final say.

5. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    This is true I suppose :p Eh, either way I just felt like bringing it up just in case. After all, the most social user must take care of his social threads [face_skull]

6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    And I am the guy alway complaining about language bnarrier. I got the difference between 2 and 3.

1. Everything stays the way it is.

2. Hoopers moves back, everything else stays at is.

3. ooc and Miliways cease to exist and we got 3 pure Social threads again.

What is the common ground between 2 and 3? It might be you do not care, but for people who like having an ooc thread it´s a huge difference between these two.

Another way to display it.

Threads who have to move.

1 = 0 threads move

2 = 1 threads moves

3 = 2 threads move, Jocasta reopens and two cease to exist.

Difference is pretty obvious, is it?

So what is bull****? Exactly?

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think the issue is those three votes in option 3 getting lost when the votes are tallied. At the moment, it looks like moving the social threads back is ahead by two, but in actuality, it's ahead by five since you need to take both options 2 and 3 into account. It's sort of confusing in that sense, but in the end, we need to keep in mind that they both include moving all three social threads back to their appropriate forums. The only difference is the OOC threads and at the moment, that doesn't look to be an issue. According to the poll, the majority of people want them to remain anyway.

8. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    The bull**** factor is that, if this poll is actually real and not a joke, it is splitting votes.[face_peace]

-b

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    SMH at the people who seem to think our mods are oblivious. Peng and I have actually had chats before about the flaw of minority plurality victories in the political system. I sincerely doubt that Xan and Peng would let 1 be the top candidate if 2 & 3 combined outnumbered it. Let's get a dose of reality check.

Also, 2 is currently in the lead anyway. Why with the kvetching?

10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Bored an nothing else to do.

Just a possibility:p

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    WE HAVE THE POWER [face_skull]

Er, I mean ... :p

Sey's right, as is Ramza. Don't worry about the absolute vote count, we're taking the discussion into account, and anyway Option 2 is leading.

And yes, if you want to argue that the OOC thread and Milliways are not "social threads", you could say that options 2 and 3 are the same, but that in my opinion is taking an excessively narrow reading to deliberately derail this poll/discussion. If that reading were supposed to be true, why does the poll say "Social Threads" when there is only one social thread currently - Hoopers? Don't split linguistic hairs here, please.

12. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    How about not starting a pointless poll then?:rolleyes:

-b

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because people were complaining that there wasn't one?

14. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    So, to resolve the issue of not having a poll is to put up a poll that doesn't matter?:confused:

I'm sure this makes sense, somehow.(Not really)

-B

15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Oh my, I go off to work for a few days and I come back to this...well, here goes.

Blu.

Options 2 and 3 unlock the locked threads and move everything back, but also determine the fate of our OOC Discussion Thread and IC Social Thread. If that was somehow confusing, then we apologize for that, but I believe it is quite clear at the moment as to what each option is. So - drop it. We heard you and we'll keep what you've said in mind. No need to keep hammering away at it.

Everyone.

Cool off folks. Let's not forget we're talking about a Star Wars Role Playing Forum. This is not a war crimes tribunal, nor is it a place to practice being a revolutionary. We're all here to have fun - let's keep that in mind, please.

Thank you.

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I think I understand what you're getting at. Think of the poll as a survey instead, guys; it all makes sense at that point. :)

Although from a pollster's perspective, it certainly looks at the moment that the community is significantly divided on the issue of stay or go.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    B-b-b-but moving Hoopers was a war crime!

Okay, okay, we won't hang you.. this time.

Voted for option #2, incidentally. I just want Hooper's back. :)

18. Draco_Drake

Draco_Drake Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2010
    Just to throw something out there for you all who have been here for years and thus away of the move.

Relatively New People like me didnt even know of Hoopers and just thought it a resource of some long forgotten RP Game, not the place it actually is.

Also note the even having Hooper's in the links only confused me until recently.

Just my opinions. and actual events.

19. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, in hindsight, that really should say "Social Thread" and not just "Hooper McFinneys".

edit - Remember to post that you've voted, guys! You don't have to say what you voted for or why - although if you could, that'd be awesome too - even just a post saying "Voted" helps us keep track of things.

20. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Voted for number one!

I don't understand what the big deal is about it?!?

21. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    hmmmm......

Voted.[face_coffee]

22. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Voted. My last official intervention in RPF policy, probably. I felt since the move here the Hoopers thing became a community thing again. while before it, there were slight tendencies of . . . something else. It became more open and somber in it´s tone again. I think we had no ban-worthy event since the move. Nobody felt it appropriate or unappropriate to post anything there. it might even have won a few peopel back who lost interest in it.

Progress, if you ask me.

Xan Edit: Leave off the hyperbole and name-calling, please.

23. Draco_Drake

Draco_Drake Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2010
    Just to make it clear, I voted.

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Listen to LordT. Wise is he in the ways of social threads.

...not that I'm trying to sway anyone...

25. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    CHOKE ON YOUR LIES! [face_skull]

Clearly, the one that could be truly wise about the social threads should be the user that was declared most social by the people :p [face_laugh]

Hoopers in the RPF ftw! [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.