main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPF Training Ground and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Please also check out the RPF Adoptions Program, located here!

The first version of our Training Grounds was a wonderful success, thanks in major part to its contributors. Many of our RPF regulars took the time to make thoughtful, insightful posts that serve as excellent resources for new and old players alike. Many thanks go out to these users. It is hoped that this thread will serve as an informative part of the forum that users will turn to with questions about roleplaying and how to develop pre-existing characters.

How to use this thread:

You?ll find many tutorials and essays below. These have been copied from the old Training Grounds thread, which can be found here:

http://boards.theforce.net/Role_Playing_Forum/b10328/15527797/?129

They are listed by subject(s) and the authors have been highlighted to make searching easier. If you?re looking for something specific and can?t find any articles, please don?t hesitate to post a request or list of questions. Many of our veteran roleplayers are happy to respond to queries.
    This thread is intended as a community information resource, so read it, contribute to it, and most of all use it! :)

Some off-site resources that may be of interest:

Some of these articles/sites focus on tabletop RPing, but I have found them to be very useful nevertheless.

2. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    The original TG post, courtsey of GrandAdmiralJello:

Welcome to the RPF Training Ground

The purpose of this thread is to help educate newcomers to the art of Role-Playing here at the RPF. This thread is created with the blessing and support of NaboosPrincess, our friendly moddess.

So, what does one do here? Well?newcomers and beginning RPers can come here to gain experience in role-playing. Veterans can put together instructional tutorials on Role-Playing. These include guides in RPing in general or specific aspects of Role-Playing. For instance, one may make a guide on how to create a successful bounty hunter character.

As there are different types of games, there are also different styles of play. There might potentially be several tutorials about Bounty Hunting in different types of games or for different types of Bounty Hunters. It?s all a matter of opinion for the veterans and a personal stylistic preference for the newcomers.

Everyone knows that people learn things better from experience. So: what we also need from the veterans is an actual teaching position. Not only could a teacher post a tutorial, but they could also hold ?classes? for the newcomers. What a class consists of would vary on the teacher?s choice: but it could be question and answers, scenarios, or simply training through practice. There?s a galaxy of possibilities out there. Please note: After several previous experiments with this, it was decided that all classes shall take place over PM. Tutorials and "tips and tricks" posts are always welcome to be posted, however.

So, to summarize?

For the veterans:
    I. You may post tutorials about any aspect of Role-playing. A character type, gameplay style, etc.
    II. You may become a teacher. These are the most important. To become one, please PM me first?then I?ll let you know if we are in need of any teachers. A teacher may posts tutorials or hold ?classes? where they take on newcomers that are interested in the aspect that they teach.
    For the newcomers:
    I. You may come to read tutorials about Role-playing.
    II. You may request for a particular aspect to be taught or ask a general question for the teachers.
    III. You may ?join? the class of a particular teacher by posting in the thread and requesting to join.

So, if you?d like to simply put together a tutorial, then just post it. If you?d like to be a teacher?please PM me, and I will correspond with you to determine if you are teacher material. Many thanks!

Kudos to KnightHawk and NaboosPrincess for the original idea.

3. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    GENERAL ROLEPLAYING

[b][i][color=dodgerblue]General Guide to improving your Role Playing experience, by LightSide-Apprentice[/i][/color][/b]

Firstly and most importantly, it might be wise to outline some suggested methods as to how you may be able to increase the quality of your posts, your Role Playing experience and the quality of your interaction with other players and/or characters.

Before I continue, I'd like to make a note that these are my own personal opinions. As such they might not be shared or widely accepted by our fellow members at the RPF. My intention is to provide advice. Whether or not that advice is adopted is another matter entirely. The choice is ultimately yours. It is my sincere hope that posts such as this will not be ignored, but rather taken to heart and used as a reference to growing as a Role Player.

If you're just starting off and you're unsure as to how to Role Play, don't be afraid to ask some of your fellow players for advice and/or tips. I'm sure that most, if not all, would be willing to take some time out to help someone in need.

Good Role Players are made, not born. Just because someone else might be better than you at Role Playing, it doesn't mean you can't do the same thing. With time and effort becoming a Veteran Role Player is quite an easy task.

Don't be intimidated by your fellow Role Players. Watch and learn from them. They can often teach you more than you'd be able to learn if you were alone.

Never give up. While in some cases there might not seem to be solutions, facing defeat is something you'll deal with sooner or later. It's how you deal with that which is important. You always have the option to make a new character, join a new thread, a new faction and/or learn from the mistakes you've made in the past.

One of the most important pieces of all, is to remember it is an RPG. You are there to have fun and to interact with other characters and players. Don't take things too seriously and remember to always enjoy yourself.

[hr]
    [i][b][color=dodgerblue]Participation in RPGs, by LightSide-Apprentice[/i][/b][/color]

NOTE: This post is designed to provide an opinion on the differences between 'smaller' RPGs and 'larger' ones, in general, and is intended to be of particular use for newcomers to the RPF and/or more inexperienced players. I hope you find it of use.

Participating in smaller RPGs:

It's not uncommon for player to prefer participation in smaller RPGs. This is often a wise choice for beginners as the game tends to be easier to follow and is often, yet not always, a little slower-paced to allow for all players a chance to keep up with events.

While playing in such RPGs it's important to get to know your fellow players (characters) in order to allow you to interact with them. The purpose of the RPF is to provide a community for Role Players. It's no fun being alone. By knowing some of the other players and characters in your RPG you can better learn from them and play with them.

Smaller threads have the advantage, generally, of a lower player count. This leads to less trouble learning who is who and what exactly is going on. It often reduces confusion and allows for bonding between all players.

Keep an eye on as many posts as you can. If you are unable to read them all, be sure to read those that are directed to you and/or characters that you are interested in or wish to keep an eye on. This is made especially easy if the game's players use 'tags'.

Participating in larger RPGs:

Larger RPGs are often difficult to find acceptance into. They are generally filled with large amounts of players and tend to have many posts that are often difficult to keep up with. To avoid getting lost, it helps to focus on the smaller picture. That is, concerntrate on the workings of your own faction or team. Keep an eye on a few characters and players whose posts interest or effect you and monitor them.

These RPGs are large communities and it is not always possible for you to interact with every player. Instead

4. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    CHARACTER CREATION/DEVELOPMENT

[i][b][color=purple]Character Creation 101, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=243335]CmdrMitthrawnuruodo[/link][/i][/b][/color]

Lesson 1 - Character Sheet

So you wish to create a good character but are not certain on how to do that? You previous characters seem bland and boring to you, as if they had been cut out of cardboard and thrown into the game. Well, hopefully my opinions and advice from my own experiance of seven years as an online Role Player will help you create that character you have been dreaming of and been wanting to show off to everyone else.

Let us begin with one of the most important parts of a character's creation: the character sheet. You ask what is a character sheet? It is the blueprint of your character, the reference guide to help you play that character to the fullest. As you may have noticed all across the board in several games the Game Masters provide a list of things for you to fill out. This list will mainly include; Name, Age, Gender, Race, Personality, Weapons, and Bio and the most complicated ones will have more attributes for you to fill out.

We will start out with a comparison of a simple character sheet to a complex one and as we further move along in the lesson, I will teach you the more complicated sheet.

[b]Example 1[/b]

Name:
    Race:
    Personality:
    Weapons:
    Bio:

[b]Example 2[/b]

Name:
    Species:
    Homeworld:
    Affiliation:
    Personality
    ---Traits:
    ---Habits:
    Appearance
    ---Skin Color:
    ---Hair Color:
    ---Eye Color:
    ---Clothing:
    ---Other Attributes:
    ---Other Details:
    Weapons:
    Starship
    ---Name:
    ---Class:
    ---Hyperdrive Class:
    ---Weapon(s):
    ---Shields:
    ---Sublight Speed:
    ---Crew:
    ---Passenger(s):
    ---Max Cargo (kg):
    ---Interior Description:
    ---Other Details:
    The Force
    ---Sensitivity:
    ---Religion:
    ---Lightsaber
    -----Crystal(s):
    -----Blade(s):
    -----Color(s):
    -----Handle Description(s):
    ---Force Abilities:
    ---Force Weakness:
    ---Other Force Object(s):
    Biography
    ---Personal History:
    ---Military History:
    ---Traumatic Experiances:

Example one is considered the most simpliest sheet for a player to fill out and you will find these in just about every game all across the RPF, including the successful Integrated Balance of Power game. Example two is the most detailed and complex of sheets and these are uncommon to see in games, however this sheet is not just used for the game it can be for your personal use as well. For example: you have a character that you have developed in a game and like very much but the simple sheet just does not describe him very well. Example two would be used to give detail and life to your character on paper. Here is a prime example of a complex character sheet being used.

The character sheet, no matter how complex, should not be used to create the character. The sheet is merely a guide to help remind you what the attributes of your character are. Believe me you can forget things about your character when you play, I have done it quite a few times myself. The character sheet is also a guide in what to think about when creating that character. The simple sheets will make it much harder for you if you have no clue on how to make your character.

Does this make sense for everyone? If not, just ask what you do not understand and I will attempt to explain a little easier for you.
    [hr]
    [i][b][color=lightseagreen]Some suggestions for character development, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=374443]NaboosPrincess[/link][/i][/b][/color]

Most people will agree that in this forum, characters make the game. Interesting, well-developed characters, be they Jedi or Sith, smuggler or politician, make games fun to play and exciting to follow. You will want to refer to Mitth?s Character Creation 101 post for suggestions on getting started. Once you have your character, you have to decide what to do with him/her/it, and that?s where

5. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    JEDI/SITH CHARACTERS

[i][b][color=blue]Lightsaber Dueling, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=921480]exodus411[/link][/i][/b][/color]

Alrighty.....

For the lightsaber dueling, I always envision my character in my mind. I then envision his/her opponent, and depending on who makes the first move, I react or attack. Create a mental picture of the setting, and include nature, wildlife, civilians, droids....anything that would be nearby. It's not dishonorable to use outside forces in a duel, (heck, I do it all the time) and in fact, that could be the deciding factor. Chunck a log or a disabled droid at your opponent with the Force, and see how he/she reacts. Basically, it's all about what you want your character to do. If he/she is powerful enough, there are literally tons of things you can do.

About the Force....what is it that you need help with? If it's using abilities, again, just envision your character and his/her surroundings, and write what you think he/she should do.

I hope that helps. If I need to explain further, just ask.
    [hr]
    [i][b][color=deeppink]The Amount of Force, by Ktala[/i][/b][/color]

Hi all. Im going to chatter on a subject that causes alot of hair pulling..and why many folks dont like Jedi chracters in a campaign...because of the tendency to God-Mode...

Using the Force.

Every campaign is diffrent, so it is up to each GM to figure out how to regulate its usage. But, it is also up to the players as well. It is no fun, being in a game, if you have a chracter running around, trying to be all powerful..all knowing, and all seeing. Why bother playing?

FIRST. READ what is going on. And then re-read it again. Many folks, skip or miss an attack or defensive movement, and plow ahead with what they are doing. It makes it frustrating.

Here are some other common mistakes to try and avoid.

ALL POWERFUL. This one can get tricky sometimes. And usually a very common mistake since levels play alot into it. Unless you have something special going on, that the GM knows about, most of the time, padawans will NOT be able to outdue a knight in their force abilities. Same between a Knight and a Master. Between two of the same rank, things get tricky. Unless the GM is employing a points system, its going to be difficult. But, things such as suprise, and other tactics will help in getting the drop over an opponent.

Let's say...a Dark Lord, and a Jedi Master are in battle. The Dark Lord throws force lighting. The Jedi Master counters, with using both his abilities, and his lightsaber to block the blow. This is going to going to TAKE something out of the Master. He will feel it. Dont ignore it. Make it appropriate to his level. He could ignore blocking blaster shots no problem. If more than 10 folks are shooting at him...he has a problem. Jedi's are not machines. Sooner or later...one will reach him.

Also, things like Jedi mind tricks and such..that work on the the minds of individuals...not EVERYONE is weak willed. Play it that way..and you're due to get a suprise. Just becuase they are NOT Jedi, or Force users, does not mean they are weak by any streach of the imagination.

ALL KNOWING. Guess what? A Jedi can be suprised. Something else can catch them off guard for a split second,...it is all that it takes. An explosion..someone else is grabbed, your opponent might be better in cloaking themseles or hiding in the force...anything...can give them that second that they need. You will not pick them up 2 miles before they reach you. You might feel a vague feeling of somthing going to happen..but until an action is initiated..you will not know what..or who..or even where. That helpless young woman you were in the middle of saving..might be one heck of an assassin..you wont know, till she acts.

And while Im at it, once of my biggest pet peeves is when a Jedi meets up with 'the villian'...especially if they happen to be Dark Jedi or Sith.

Guys...These folks dont usually OOZE darkside from their pores all the time..(unless the wish to.) There is n

6. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    YUUZHAN VONG CHARACTERS

[i][color=magenta][b]Basic Information on the Yuuzhan Vong, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=749517]KnightHawk[/link][/i][/b][/color]

(Note: Some of this information will come from interpretation/mild reflection on material presented in the first five books [all I've read so far] in the New Jedi Order series, and some is paraphrasing from the Yuuzhan Vong Expanded Universe and Behind the Scenes files, located here and here, respectively.)

The Yuuzhan Vong are a species of brutal, destructive invaders with one goal in mind: either convert the inhabitants of this galaxy to their beliefs, or kill them. They see their fight as a holy war, and not an average 'scuffle'.

Some important opening information about the Yuuzhan Vong is as follows: the Yuuzhan Vong are unable to be sensed in the Force, and are also unable to utilize it. They view it as an abomination, equal to mechanical 'psuedo-life', which is seen as an affront to their religion and their gods. They resemble baseline humanity, but just barely, due to their extensive self-mutilation and the presence of many tattoos on their bodies.

Honor, religious belief, and sacrifice play highly in their society, especially in this crusade. The gods that they worship have tasked them with a mission that cannot accept failure: claim this 'new land' as their new home. They will stop at nothing to fulfill this quest, even if it results in their own deaths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The classes of Yuuzhan Vong society hold great influence in how everyday affairs are run, both normally and in the crusade against the 'infidels'. At the very top are the religious, who are said to speak directly with the gods themselves. Blessings for battle come from these deeply-revered beings. Divisions of the priest caste include: Supreme Overlord (membership of one; has secular/religious authority and direct connection with the creator, Yun Yuuzhan), High Priest/Priestess, Priests/Priestesses, Seers, and Savants.

The next rank of Yuuzhan Vong social structure is that of the warrior caste, which is considered to be the class favored by the gods. These brutal, pain-loving, combat-adoring beasts are among the most populous in Yuuzhan Vong society. The Yuuzhan Vong military is a vast and powerful organ of their way of life, responsible for carrying out any and all wishes of the gods related to conquest and the destruction of infidels. Ranks include, but are not limited to: Warmaster, Supreme Commander, Commander, Sub-altern, and Warrior.

Shapers are among the most important of the Yuuzhan Vong's societal structure. Their work is the formation of Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology, as well as the implementation of these masterpieces of living 'tools'. Ranks include, but are not limited to: Master Shaper, Adept, and Apprentice.

Intendants among the Yuuzhan Vong maintain important functions that cater to the stability of the society. They work in fields of commerce, trade, bureaucracy, and slave-labor maintenance. Ranks include: High Prefect, Prefect, Consul, and Executor.

The lowest of the castes, and the most heavily populated, is that of the worker class. They perform simple menial labor, and are usually made up of three groups of beings: those conquered in battle, those who failed in another caste, and those who were born into the worker caste. Slaves are seen as members of tbe worker caste, as are the Shamed Ones. These two groups are looked upon with disdain by their fellow workers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of the gods of the Yuuzhan Vong religion are as follows:

Yun-Yuuzhan -- Also known as the Creator, the Supreme Lord, and the Cosmic Lord, Yun-Yuuzhan is hailed as the chief god of the Yuuzhan Vong. Many pray to him, but only the Supreme Overlord has direct communication with him. Yun-Yuuzhan created the universe that the Yuuzhan Vong live in, and then disfigured himself upon his completion,

7. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    DIPLOMACY/POLITICS

[i][b][color=orange]Politics: Republics, Part I: Why Study Them, by DarthSeti5[/i][/b][/color]

A good question. With regards to politics within RPing, it is hardly likely that one will find oneself deep in the nuance of Republics, or any government for that matter. However, if one is dedicated to politics within an RPG, it is very necessary to understand the framework in which they are playing in. For the RPF, one of the major government types one will find is the Republic. 25,000 years of GFFA history is dominated by a Republic that spans the vastness of the galaxy. For only a short interval is there a break from the idea of a dominant republic and then it reemerges as the New Republic. How can we, as RPers, succeed as political leaders if we do not understand the government we are working in?

In this unit of my lecture, I hope to introduce a bit of the history of the Republic on earth, its origins, its structures and processes, and its application to the SW universe, particularly with regards to role-playing as a political character.

When we look at Republics, the first thing I need to impress is that I am not referring to the American democratic Republic(while it is often emulated in many works of fiction and even in political bodies in the RPF). I am also not discussing a democracy, which is very far removed from the idea of a Republic. I am speaking in the theoretical. To begin, we will not even focus on the classic examples of the Republic(most obvious the Roman Republic), but will start with the idea of the Republic: what it is at its core, the ideals of Republics, the chances for failure and success, etc.

The Republic is a government that is older than most fiction and is an appropriate place to start a casual study of politics in this forum.

~ DS5

8. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    SPACE BATTLES

[i][b][color=royalblue]Space Battles, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=296995]GrandAdmiralJello[/link][/i][/b][/color]

Let's start simply, and build our way up. I'll post something new, and I'd like for my students to give me some input. Just tell me if you understand--and if you really understand, post an example to show off your newfound understanding. If you don't--then that's not a problem, you can ask me a question and I'll try to clear things up for you. Once a majority of my students get it, I'll move on to something new... but I will always answer older questions.

Once I feel I've covered everything, I will use my posts and answers to your questions to come up with a little FAQ/Guide to space battling. I figure it's better to try this out with a live audience so I can make a well-rounded guide when the time comes.

So....

I. The Purpose of Space battling:
    a. To achieve dominance on the battlefield.

Simple, right? Whatever the battle, you want to achieve dominance. It doesn't matter what it is... it could be a tactical strike on some fleet, it could be a plantetary conquest where you want to destroy/disable the defenses, or it can be planetary defense where you wish to drive off the attackers.

It's important to keep this simple goal in mind. Don't think about being fancy or about anything else. Just think first and foremost about how to accomplish this overall goal. Don't get distracted by the smaller picture--losing a small ship. Don't get distracted by the bigger picture--landing troops. Keep this simple goal in mind. No matter what the battle, you want to get dominance.

Mindset is the key. Once you've thought up several ways to achieve dominance(we'll get to thinking/tactics later), then you can pick ones which suit the larger and small picture. But first, just keep your bigger goal in mind.

Makes sense?
    [hr]
    [b][color=royalblue]Responses to Some Questions, by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=296995]GrandAdmiralJello[/link][/b][/color]
    [i][blockquote]-How can one find out how all of the ships actually compare to each other in strategic value, and what are some good methods to avoid confusion between players?
    [/i][/blockquote]

Generally, online databases such as http://galacticempiredatabank.com/ may be used. I'd hesitate using most online sources, since they tend to use fan-based data. If legitimate sites/sourcebooks can be used, then it's possible to learn statistics and weapons counts.

As for strategic value, that's just something each commander will have to determine on their own. Value depends on conditions, objectives, and even the overall plan a commander has. The smallest ship in a fleet may possibly become the most valuable. This skill is an essential one, and perhaps one of the most critical to success in space.

[i][blockquote]-How does one accurately role-play the limits of a commander's leadership skills and deftness in communication of orders? [/i][/blockquote]

That depends on the character. No leader is perfect.

As an expert in space combat, my main characters tend to be efficient and experienced. However, I'm still quite capable of making sloppier characters.

It's the same as roleplaying a character who is dumber than the average person. It's a question of writing and RPing skills. Think of it like writing a book or acting a character who might not be as skilled as is ideal. Base it on the individual character's skills.

[i][blockquote]How does technology limit correspondence between interstellar vessels?[/i][/blockquote]

Shields cut off long range communications. Within a battle, though, all ships in the same system may still be contacted.

Jamming, of course, disrupts all communications in the area unless it is somehow defeated.

[i][blockquote]When should morale start to play an issue, and when should it be portrayed?[/i][/blockquote]

Use your best judgement.

Morale always plays an issue. The performance of a fleet is dependant more on the morale of th

9. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    (saving for future use)

The code for invisble text is #efefef

¤Night

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Looking through my files, I found this and felt like posting it rather than deleting it.

[i][b]Lesson 2[/b] - Personality[/i]

Most simple sheets will have one item listed and is considered the most important item of them all: Personality.

A characters strength, weapons, and power does not make the character. You can take all those attributes away and you will still have the character for who he is mainly because that character has a personality. The personality is what gives life to your character, not the physical items he carries around or how many weights he can bench press or how powerful he is in the Force. All those attributes are insignigicant next to the power of the personality. The personality is what allows the character to interact with other characters and controls how that character would act in a situation.

For example: My character Erik Riggers in the IBoP RPG is a thief with an immature, wild and reckless personality. He was recently incarcerated by Imperial Intelligence and was faced with an interrogation, most other people would have cowered before their interrogator or defied them as long as possible. Not Erik, no, instead he makes fun of his interrogator and acts like a clown despite the seriousness of the situation he is in. He does this because he doesn't care and he likes to irritate and taunt his enemies, not to mention he's wild and reckless and immature.

His actions because of his personality did not work out in his favor in the end, lets just say he's never going to taunt an Imperial interrogator ever again.

As you can see, Erik's personality also changed after his experiance. This is also essential to the character. Their personality will not stay the same throughout the game. They will come across situations that cause an epiphany that will alter their current personality to something new. Another example of this is my character General Gregory Thane from IBoP. Thane's personality was similiar to Erik's but a little more controlled from the discipline of being a soldier in the Imperial Army. He was still a likeable and reasonable person until the Bomb Plot that nearly took his life away. Thane's personality changed dramatically, from a friendly intelligent officer who fought the war without hate to a cold hearted and bitter man bent on getting revenge against the rebellion.

So when creating your character take in careful consideration what kind of personality do you want that character to have. The one thing you do not want to do is give it a personality you can not role play. So if you are not capable of being a cold-blooded lunatic, do not play that type of character. You will feel uncomfortable and find it difficult to do and come to dislike your character.

If you find yourself having difficulty coming up with a personality, the best way to create one is either using your own personality or borrowing ones from people you know such as your best friend or a famous person. Try not to copy from other characters too much, it is alright to borrow a few traits from a character but you want to be original with your own. And whoever says Mary Sues and Harry Stus are pathetic and stupid need to have their brain re-examined. The best loved and hated characters are usually modeled after the author because they personally know their own personality very well and know how to make the character react properly to situations.

Here is a list of some personality traits. If you do not understand what they mean, grab a dictionary and look the word(s) up.

[blockquote]Short-tempered
    Quiet
    Calm
    Reclusive
    Ecentric
    Paranoid
    Crazy
    Insane
    Humorous
    Dry
    Cold
    Friendly
    Sociable
    Unsociable
    Sadistic
    Masochistic
    Sado-masochistic
    Eager
    Determined
    Wild
    Immature
    Reckless
    Imaginative
    Arrogant
    Loyal
    Defiant
    Confident
    Overconfident[/blockquote]

Now in some cases a single word is not enough to describe the personality. We'll use Gregory Thane as an example as to what I mean when a word is not enough.

[blockquote][b]--Personality:[/b] He is eager and determined t

11. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I thought I had posted in this thread.

12. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Hi!

Im back again, with another issue about using the Force in games.

BALANCE!!!

As with many games, especially those from the New Jedi Order timeline and beyond, I noticed more and more people trying to bring in items and abilities from the comics and books into the games.

As a GM, it is up to them, to step up to the plate, and decided if they will allow these items or not. But I suggest that you first SEARCH around, and find out EVERYTHING you can about the item or ability. Ask the player first, then look around.

Why? Case in point. Lightsaber gauntlets have gotten popular. Nothing wrong with that. But they do have some limitations. They need to be noted. And I dont care who you are, unless you have 4 arms, you cant manever both gauntless and regular sabers at the same time...not without a major risk of doing damage to yourself. The reason the item came into being, was so a jedi could hide during the purges...and nobody would see the tell-tale sign of a Jedi on them..(Lightsaber) So why in the world would you have BOTH at the same time?

Other disadvantages to be noted are how long an item can last before being recharges, or a change in strength...or bad reactions to other items and things. Some items will SHORT OUT..after a hit, or need a few seconds to recharge. Others have to be adjusted every time it is used. You get the idea. DO YOUR RESEARCH. It is a lot easier to stop it before it enters your campaign, than having to deal with it later on, once someone actually USES the thing.

Also, a GM should limit some items, or else it throws the game way out of balance. Some of these items are listed as VERY hard to find or make, depending on what timeline you are in.

Also, PLEASE keep an eye on abilities. I like games that list what abilities a force user can use. But I DONT like to see a list that gives a MAJOR advantage to Siths. Especially in a Sith vs Jedi type game. Who will want to play that?

I know that Sith do tend to have an upper hand, because they have had to do things in secret and hidden. But a few select skills, beats having a 7 to 1 ratio. (Seven sith abilities to One regular one) After all, the Jedi have worked on learning new things as well. And there are many things in the NJO time period, that can be re-discovered. There is no reason to have a game so out of balanced. You do NOT have to include every ability out there. You can of course, leave some to be 'discovered' by chracters. Also, many of the more nasty Sith abilities take LONGER to activate. They are not somthing that is suddenly done in battle, but is set up way in advance, for a particular event. And some are even lethal to the user.
    Again, this takes the GM to research a bit.

Im not saying to not allow the new items and abilities. Just do some research beforehand. It will save you lots of grief later on.

*till next time....*
    ;)

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Uber-Characters
    Or Why Extremely Powerful Characters Are Bad
    by CmdrMitthy

So you are new to the Role Playing Forum and are looking at one of many interesting games listed in the forum. You decide to join and fill out the character sheet provided for you by the Game Master. Then you commit the greatest felony of them all in the world of Role Playing, you create a uber-character!

You ask yourself: What is a uber-character? Why is it such a bad thing? Why do people create these abominations?

I shall tell you why.

Uber-characters are basically perfect and powerful characters with no flaws and cannot be defeated. They are the creations of godmoders and everyone knows players frown upon godmoders. The most common uber-characters are those who are extremely powerful in the Force and seem to have every single Force ability. These characters basically upset the balance of a game and tend to anger fellow players who interact with these characters. Such characters can earn a player the irk and disrespect of other players, something you do not want to achieve if you want to have fun here and make new friends.

People who tend to create these characters have some of the following common traits in their mentality: they are arrogant and egotistical, they seek to fit in with the crowd, they wish to create the coolest character ever, or they wish to start out at the top of the food chain and prey upon all the weaker characters just so they can feel cool and important.

Well here is a news flash folks, those who play here do not like these characters and do not think you or the character are cool and awesome. You want to fit in with us? Then create real characters. Create characters that have vulnerabilities, that can be defeated, that do not have every single Force ability and is not the second-cousin of Luke Skywalker or the lost Prince of some Core World. Create characters that come from the common people of the galaxy, who are raised on farms and whose parents are just a simple teacher or owner of a family candy store in the local village.

You will find that the weaker and moderate characters are far more welcomed and liked in a game then the unbeatable Sith Lord or genius military officer.

Now I know you are probably saying "but I want my character to be important!" Now I shall ask you this: How do CEOs and Generals exist? Did God create them as CEOs and Generals when they were born? Of course not! These people had to earn their way to where they are now. No person is born with power, not even the wealthy children. Everyone has to go through some form of achieving their successes in life. So should you and your character.

I assure you that you will find working your way up to the top of a game will be more fun than starting out at the top from the very beginning.

Now you say "but there are some games that require powerful characters!" My reply: That is no excuse to create a uber-character. Even those games that require powerful characters still ask you to create the character with some vulnerabilities because there usually is a reason why the Game Master is giving a player such important characters. They usually are the ones that are meant to be defeated and overcome by the players of either side.

Still think uber-characters are cool? Then I hope you find enjoyment in being secluded from the rest of us all.

14. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    English As She Is Spoke - An Essay on Our (Potentially) Beautiful Language by Zaarin

...to use the old witticism. I'd like to use this little opportunity for rantage as a means for expounding the benefits of actually spelling properly and constructing complex sentences.

Over the last decade, a decade that has seen the rise of cyberspace, of SMS messaging, mobile phones and IM programmes, all of which can be utilised for instantaneous communication across borders and oceans, a curious new cant amongst the technology savvy has occurred. The lovechild of laziness and illiteracy, this global threat remains nameless, so I shall call it "Internetese".

Internetese features, among other things, a distinct lack of capitalisation. You or I would write "I think that this new game is really quite good". A cybercitizen whose mode of speech is Internetese would write "lol d00d, dis new game is rilly l337! it pwnz!".

Now I realise that most people on the RPF aren't going to use "1337" or "d00d" in actual roleplaying. But all too often I see "u", and "rilly" (you shouldn't be using "really" anyway, but I'll explain that in a bit), along with offenders such as sentences that don't begin with a capital letter. If you are not confident in your ability to spell, please run your roleplays through some form of spellchecker. Microsoft Word can also emend your grammar, to a certain degree.

Let's assume that you have typed out a grammatically sound post that contains minimal errors in spelling. Now, is your post refreshing and stimulating from a linguistic point of view? Has your inner auteur thrown a terminological rainbow over your post?

Did you see that last sentence? It's an allegory. I could've said "use big words", but instead I spiced it up with the bollocks we writers call rhetorical devices. A metaphor is when you say something is something ("he was a boiling kettle of rage"), a similie is when you say something is like something (similar to a metaphor; "he was like a boiling kettle of rage"). A more comprehensive list is available here, courtesy of New York state's Nazareth College.

Rhetorical devices can turn a drab, uninspiring RP into an interesting one that stokes the fires of imagination. I mean, with the help of these little devices, you can turn a post where nothing actually happens into a deep, pondersome and intellectual romp through your character's mind. Sprinkle them on a dull RP whenever you feel like it, but using them to excess can just make you sound pretentious and full of hot air.

I could write far more, but that would simply bore you all. I'll sign off with a reminder that all writers of fiction (including roleplayers!) must heed:

Good writing does not make up for vapid, lifeless and one dimensional characters and situations!

15. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Why we dont play in your RPG's

Strange title?
    Not really.

As I hang around the boards, I have noticed a slew of new RPG's that have come into play. Normally, I would LOVE it, and happily jump at the chance of being offered so many games to play. But as I read some of them, my enthusiasm wanes a bit, when I read some of them.

WHY?

There are several reason, that many players will lose interest in games. Of course, those that just dont appeal to them, are not the ones Im talking about. Im talking about the warning signs that some of us will see, and make us instantly shy away from a game. I present these warning signs to all.

Things that make us as players cringe:

TOO MUCH INFORMATION in opening post.

Okay, we've all seen it. You click on the rpg to read the first post...and ten pages of text suddenly hits you in the face.

Woah.

Makes most beginner players take off and run for the hills. Others will be interested in playing, but it will take them awhile before they chime in. I know a good GM wants to give his players as much info as they need, in order to play their game. Nothing wrong with that. You just dont need to feed it to them all at once. Break up massive posts to smaller ones. Something to get their interest at first. And THEN start with the particular rules that you are using. Info is GREAT. Just dont dump it in their faces all at once. You will scare folks away. And PLEASE, organize it so that it makes some sense. IF your players have to scan several times in order to find out important information...they will lose interest. If they must PM you their sheet..then you better STATE that CLEARLY...in the first few lines of your game, not buried somewhere in the center of the document.

On the other hand, TOO LITTLE information is just as bad, if not worse.

"HI..the Sith are attacking... Join my game."

Duh. When are the Sith NOT attacking? But really, we need to know more than that. What are you looking for? Sith players? Jedi? Both? Can other folks non force related play? Give us a timeframe. A chracter info sheet would be nice too.

And by the way...watch the Spelling, and your use of markups. If Players cant read it, they wont play. AN NO, it is NOT cute for you 2 do n00b speak either! PWND!

And speaking of Sith and Jedi:

BAD, NONE, or downright stupid plots. (Movie senarios anyone?)

What do I mean?
    Well, I dont know HOW many times I have read...either the Jedi are attacking the Sith..or the Sith the Jedi..or the Rebels vs the Empire..etc. We already KNOW that. Or even better...CLONE WARS. Okay, we all know that these folks are fighting. But I dont want to play the movie version of this battle. Why bother? If I have to act out the same exact thing that I saw on the screen, or read in the books, Im not role-playing. Im quoting scenes.

During the BIG epic battles between the groups, there were plenty of small ones going on as well. Between smaller groups of folks. Their roles were no less important. I dont want to HAVE to play Luminara, or Yoda, or some other classic Jedi. I want to play some other unknow character, who had to fight and live and die, just as all the others...but at least my chracter is my own. Not me trying to remember how they acted in the movies and books. And Guess What? RPG's are not all just one big continous BATTLE SCENES. If that's what you want, go fight in the Colosseum RPG. Many of us actually LIKE plots, where the chracters get a chance to run other smaller storylines in the middle of the big battle scenes. Why play in a game, where I cant do anything BUT die? Plain fighting is not roleplaying either.

Sliding into this slot, is the games that cant start, until we have these specific player types filled first. *GROAN* Okay...lets see..yoda..luke skywalker...etc... Folks get interested and start to join. But if you have trouble filling the slots, then your game suddenly comes to a standstill, while waiting for others to join, and your gam

16. RDG

RDG Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2001
    The following is help for specific RPG types, that I always see not doing so well. But they fail usually not at the fault of the GM, or the players, but at the way the type of RPG is set up.

Infintry Squadron RPG

I made an Infintry Squadron type RPG a long time ago, and it failed in the first mission. I also played in one recently that also failed early in the first mission. It seems that the reasons for them failing are the same.

But I'll start with what went right, up to where it went wrong. First of all, there was never any trouble of getting enough players. Just the right amount of people joined. This shows that the problem does not come from the willingness of the players to play in that RPG type, but that the problem will show itself afterwards. THen, after people join, the game starts, and everyone in still there. No one has dropped out before it started. Then, a briefing is held for the squadron's first mission. After getting to where the mission will take place, the setting is given, a few posts are done, then the RPG dies.

What happened?

Well, in this RPG type, it seems that the GM is like someone who holds the leash of the players, and pulls them along. This gives the players minimal choices on how to play the game. The gameplay is too linear, without any side choices. Also, right before it dies, the posts will look something like this:

IC: Private Arran

Private Arran loaded a new clip on his E-11 blaster rifle, and switched off the safety. He took aim at one of the Scout Troopers on the ridge across from them, awaiting the order to fire.

In the game, that is pretty much exactly what everyone else is doing too. Not very interesting when everyone posts the same thing. When that happens, you don't really care what anyone else is doing. Then everything depends on the GM, who is most likely the captain of the squadron. There isn't any player interaction there, and that is where is fails.

In Fighter Squadron RPGs, with the same brief and start mission plot, it always tends to work out better. But why would it if it is practically the same as an infintry squadron RPG? I'll tell you why. Its because in Fighter Squadron RPGs, before and after missions, there is more player interaction allowed, as it would be in real life. This allows the player to explore their character's personality, and other character's personalities. Then, the GM might make a fork in the road, where the players have to choose between going on the mission, or helping one of the players who might have gotten captured. That would seem the most obvious choice, but if the missionw ere not completed, then they would loose everything. The squadron would have to split, giving each player the choice of what to do. Choices are what makes RPGs fun. With many paths for a payer to follow or not follow, they can fall into a difficult situation, or take one that avoids it. An RPG shouldn't always be about the battle, but about avoiding the battle too.

To sum it up, if you want to make a successful Infintry Squadron RPG, you need to start with some player interaction, and not go directly into the mission. And then, you can't just brief the mission and go. You need to give the players different paths to choose from, all leading to different results.

Fleet-Based RPGs

Most fleet-based RPGs are fun while they last, but die pretty quickly. They are usually structured in some sort of tournament between the players. If you want a short and plotless RPG that may or may not be fun, then thats ok. But if you want a longer, more complex RPG that gives your players more choices, then I have some advice.

In most fleet-based RPGs, the characters never even matter. All they do is command the ships to do things. But the characters are really what makes an RPG interesting. You should have it so that the players' characters actually get to do something. The best way to do this is not always have it being battle after battle. But how would you integrate some non-battle roleplayng? Here's

17. Tarison

Tarison Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2005
    Foreword

The following is taken from the roleplay guide on the website for Star Wars Uprising MUSH. As the writer/creator/etc of the , though I'm showing only what is applicable to this format of roleplay.

They reflect my own opinion on roleplay, coming from a relatively short history of 7 years of roleplaying on computer-based RP like this. (relative to some of the people I know). They are by no means an authoritative guide, and you are more than welcome to disagree.

I do not cover posing vs speech, actively seeking roleplay, and a few MUSH-specific tips that aren't appropriate for this medium. I can't vouch for the style of my own roleplaying, either, as being correct over any other form, but hopefully these hints will help you in some way.

The Importance of Legibility

While English is the language an RPG identifies as the core language, we recognise that it is not everyone's first language. We don't need our players to have the vocabulary of an English professor, but we do need our players to realise that in a text-based environment, the text has to be presented in a way that increased understanding. Punctuation, Spelling, Grammar -- these are all important in the RPG, so that people can understand you easier. If you can't write it well enough for others to read, no one will realise your last pose was the best they've ever seen.

(i) The Good
    "The sooner they do it, the better. I think that Traitine should've been locked up months ago, and you'll find I've got no sympathy for him at all." Sarwon shrugs his shoulders, then leans closer into the table. A nod of his head.. "I'll pay it."

(ii) The Bad
    "the sooner they do it the better. i think dat traitine shouldve been locked up months ago and you'll find i got no sympathy for him at all" sarwon shrugs his shoulders then leans closer into the table. a nod of his head "i'll pay it"

(iii) The Ugly
    "da soona dey doit da betta dat trait sholda been lokt up mons ago and u find i got no sympath for im at all" sarwon shrg his shoulders andand u find I got no sympathy for him at all" sarwon shrugs his shoulders den leans closer in2 da table a nod "i pay it"

Each conveys the same information, but you'll notice that with each progressive example, the delivery of the information makes it harder to tell what is going on. You may as well be speaking another language. Net-slang and such are great, but they weren't around in the Star Wars movies, nor did they speak in abbreviations such as afaik, imho, or wtf. 3PO, TIE, and other Star Wars acronyms are fine.

The Importance of Non-Human Aspects

While aliens and droids are a cool part of the Star Wars Universe, if they are not played properly, they can detract from Role-Play. If you are planning on being an alien or droid, (or are already playing one), there are a few things you ought to keep in mind.

Aliens and Droids are as different from humans in behaviour, as the way they look. Their opinions on everything they encounter is quite different to those of humans, since they have are different. Just as you should be able to tell that a human is upper-class nobility from the way they act (not just their description), so too should you be able to tell that a player is an alien or droid, from the way they act.

The Importance of Describing

When it comes to Role-Playing the actions of your character, it is much better to describe what you are doing, than state it. Other players have a better way to understand the situation if they know how it is affecting things (which you show in the descriptions of actions.

(i) Described Version
    The ship shudders as it touches down on the planet's surface. As he looks out of the viewport, Tarison's eyes widen.. his mouth gaping wide open. "I.. I remember this planet n-now. We've been here before. T-This.. something terrible has happened." he quickly rises from the pilot's seat, and barks out orders.. "Everyone suit up -

18. Luke_Starkiller_Jr

Luke_Starkiller_Jr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
  19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    What to Post in the First Post
    by CmdrMitthy

Many of you are well aware of how difficult it is to get into a new game and stay interested in it with very little information to go on. Many of you have seen absolutely no information in a post other than a character sheet and request for you to join that game. Many of you end up requesting for more information and you either do not receive it or receive too little. Well hopefully this post can cut down on those RPGs and influence new game masters to properly put up a first post for their game.

Game Background

This is the most essential part of the game. A game can not exist without a background story to inform the players of what the game is about and what is expected of the players when they join. Every game needs a background story in order to survive the all time game killer, ignore. So when you create your game, be sure to have a brief but detailed paragraph or two of what the game is about.

• Good Example: The notorious art and jewel thief?Erik Visputin?has stolen the Nexu Eye, the largest and most prized and priceless gemstone throughout the entire galaxy. The outraged Luthus Valk, owner of the Nexu Eye, wants the precious stone back and has placed a large reward for it?s return as well as an irresistible bounty for Visputin?s head?literally. Days turn into months and the notorious thief strikes again, this time stealing the Pink Sandpanther from the wealthy businessman?Artemis Thane. As a long time friend and benefactor of the Jedi Order, the Council has agreed to send their own to help Artemis Thane regain his lost property.

Interested? Good. That is how the background story should be like. Informative, original and interesting. This is not what you want to post:

• Bad Example:The Old Republic is under attack! The Jedi are all but destroyed and the last two must struggle to save their order and the Old Republic from the evil Sith!

This example is slightly informative, but it isn't interesting nor very original. Who are the evil Sith this time? What Jedi have survived? Why are the Sith attacking again and how bad has the war gone for the Old Republic? None of these questions have been answered and so most players interested will either request for more information or just ignore the game altogether.

The Rules

Every game needs a set of rules from the game master. It lets players know what they can and cant do in the game and it also instructs players on what to do about signing up or other such important things. If you want a player to do somethign specific in order to join, place the rules at the very top of the post and BRIGHTLY COLORIZE and BOLD or CAPITALIZE the specific rules you want them to notice. It also helps making these rules the first ones, then followed by the generic rules and TOS warning.

• Good Example:

1: PRIVATE MESSAGE THE GAME MASTER YOUR CHARACTER SHEET FOR APPROVAL! DO NOT POST CHARACTER SHEET IN THREAD OR YOU WILL BE IGNORED
      2: THERE CAN ONLY BE TWO FORCE-USERS AT ANY GIVEN TIME IN THE GAME!

3: No Godmoding, violators will be removed from the game.
      4: Follow TOS rules.
      5: Have fun.

Bad Example:

1: No Godmoding.
      2: Follow TOS rules.
      3: PM character sheet.
      4: Have fun.

Now wasn't that bolded, red and capitlized ruling eye-catching compared to the bad example? This helps you save time and frustration and it helps new players to notice what you expect from them.

The Character Sheet

Every game needs a character sheet so that players can create the character they want. Some character sheets are ungodly simple and others are so damn complicated you can get a headache from just filling it out. As the game master you want to balance the character sheet somewhere in between the simple and complicated. Make it too complicated and you may not get players at all. Making a simple sheet is not all bad, especially for games like IBoP where you dont want the

20. Freedan

Freedan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    A question. Where do you post your character bio?

21. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Only in the game that you want to play in. Make sure to read the rules that are in the first post of each game though, most games have different rules and use different character sheets, and some GMs prefer that you PM them the character sheet before posting it.

22. darthmall1-0

darthmall1-0 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2005
    i need to learn how to fight

23. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Well darthmall1-0, you should start off by reading the first few posts in this thread which helps out new RPers. Also, you should check out the Adoption Program. There may be some experienced RPers who would be willing to help you. :)

24. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Maturity - The Pot Calling the Kettle Black..

To some of the newer Role Players of the forum, MATURITY! Yes, I'm well aware that it tends to be a hard concept to grasp at times, and though sometimes it is very elusive, maturity it essential to your impact on other Role Players. I was once a new member to this board, having no idea what I was doing, and I definately lacked maturity. I insulted other players in the RPF, needlessly wasted posts on several different boards, and paid no heed to any of the help offered by my fellow friends in the RPF.

This reason, and this reason alone, is why so many people have no impact, and are rarely acknowledged in their service to the boards. For example, you may be the most wonderful player on the boards, you may make intellectual posts, and know exactly what your doing, but if you display disrespect towards the other Role Players while playing Out Of Character, where does that leave you? It leaves you with a great post that no buddy bothers to take the time to read. Why? Because it's a natural human instinct to assume the worst from something that's already bad.

Only now, after four years of dedicated RPing, have I managed to draw my respect level out for the deep triple negatives, and slowly into the postive end of the scale. And of course, Maturity falls under each of the other sections that will no doubt be displayed among the posts for the newer users to read. Godmoding, grammar, etc. all have some part to do with mature players. It's only natural to assume that someone with a crisp, neat post, and flawless spelling knows what they're doing when it comes to Role Playing. So I urge you younglings to take heed to this message: Be mature in your posts, and the Moddess shall smile upon you!

I would also like to take this little blurb here at the end and apologize to all those I may have treated with disregard throughout my time on the boards. [b]GrandAdmiralJello, Yomin_Carr, DarthSeti5, Warlord_Ken, Cavalier_One, WildWookiee, CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, and any one else whom I may have missed.[/b] Thank you for having patience with me and teaching me the tricks of the trade!
    [/blockquote][face_happy]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.