main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    RPG DISCUSSION THREAD v2.0!

Welcome to the Role Playing Game Discussion Thread! This is the place to listen to other people share ideas for possible RPG storylines and ask for assistance with their ongoing RPGs. Or better yet, YOU can share your own personal ideas you have about a new RPG.

Your peers can help you get started off with an RPG if you are new to role playing. You can receive constructive criticism to improve your game idea. You can even start a new RPG with fellow RPers you might meet here!

[b]RULES[/b]:
    1) Absolutely no insulting or making fun of a person based on an idea that they may present.
    2) Criticism must be constructive. (NOTE: If you do not like constructive criticism, please do not ask for it.)
    3) All other forum rules apply
    4) HAVE FUN!

[b]NOTE: If you are a GM seeking players, or a player looking for another game to join, please head on over to the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/23332052/p1/?0]RPG Introduction Service[/link][/b].
    [hr]
    As a community, we'll always be willing to lend a hand. Thanks for dropping by!

[i]Special thanks to Ben_Skywalker for the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/8441894/p1/?739]original version[/link] on which this thread is based.[/i]

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I have a question and I'm unsure if I've already found the answer despite reading the threads. Anyway...

You know the Fan Fiction Resource has individual threads where authors can discuss, brainstorm, suggest and develop an ongoing or future story. Are we allowed to have such threads here?

3. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I think that one might be a bit clutter-some in this thread though, at least for individuals. But if you let everyone post in one thread (this one?) it can become a shouting match. Usually it's nice to have a PM buddy to bounce ideas off of or something, if you can't find anyone else. Or several, mostly third party observers. Up to the modinators though

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I have an idea for a game, but I would like to gage interest, and see if someone wants to GM or co-GM it. This is the correct place to do so, yes?

5. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    You can discuss game ideas in here. But if you need to look for players, or advertise for a co-GM, please use the other thread. :)

6. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Shiny new forum, shiny new threads, let me take the opportunity to encourage discussion of a game I am planning:

Archangels and Alchemists

Six hundred years have passed since the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war. The Fourth Galactic Republic (also known as the Restored Republic) controls all of known space. But this is a very different place from the galaxy you might know.

Roughly two centuries previously, a talented group of Republic scientists began research into the living planet Zonama Sekot and Force-related experiments. They discovered a new plant known as the Echo Flower, and found it had strange properties and abilities. After many years of study, they managed to refine a serum from it which they believed might cure certain terminal illnesses. They were wrong. Their work appeared to be wasted. It was only when they applied it to a Jedi volunteer in one of their routine tests that they found the serum's true effects. The Jedi was stunned to find that her reaction speeds worsened, and she found it difficult to concentrate or meditate for long periods as she once had. Her connection to the Force slowly dimmed over the next few days; within a week she had lost it completely. The scientists soon realised that the serum was capable of repressing high midichlorian levels in some way- in other words, it could strip Force-sensitives of their powers.

The rest was inevitable. Upon learning of the serum, a daring coalition of Republican Senators began campaigning for it to be used on every Jedi in the galaxy. Too many times, they argued, the galaxy had been torn apart by rogue darksiders or by Jedi civil wars. Not only would Echo end that threat forever, it would remove the 'monstrous inequality of the Force'. Within months, the Jedi Order had been betrayed by the very government they served. Surprise attacks were launched at their Academies, with the Republic winning through sheer force of numbers if nothing else. Those Jedi who refused to be injected with Echo were unceremoniously executed. New laws were introduced making it illegal for any being in the galaxy to possess Force powers. The serum was provided to every hospital in the Republic, and it became standard procedure for a child to be given it at birth.

Now, the Republic appears to have entered a new golden age under the stewardship of Supreme Chancellor Romulus Keto, and has not known war for a century. This is an age of peace, of justice, and of equality. But not all is as it seems.

On the Outer Rim, rumours have spread of a band of sorcerors, calling themselves the Alchemists. These strange beings are said to possess demonic powers, able to kill with their minds and spread lightning from their fingertips. Allied with these enchanters are another group with similar, unnatural abilities, though they use them less agressively. They call themselves the Archangels. These enigmatic wanderers can send beings into the deepest trances, and heal fatal wounds. Along the Outer Rim, the Archangels and the Alchemists are magicians.

In the heart of the Republic on Empress Teta, Romulus Keto has heard the stories, and he knows that these beings are no mere magicians. That is why he has sent thousands of elite troops to the Outer Rim. That is why those troops carry Echo with them, ready to inject. That is why he has considered going as far as quarantining the worlds where the stories began. And that is why he is more worried for his Republic than he ever has been.

War is imminent. The champions of the Force have risen once more.

Okay, this is a re-working of a game I tried out (without success) some time ago. I don't want to rush into posting this new version. I am currently working on the gameplay and all the other details, so that there are no problems on my end when we finally start. I plan to eventually take on one or two co-GMs to give me a hand running it.

Until that time, however, I would like to hear what people think, based on the above intro. Intriguing? Any suggestions? Any criticisms? Any thoughts whatsoever?

Ta

7. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: .... Me?

*Laughs*

I maintain all the same feelings I did on your RPG the first time around Wingy... ;)

Seems like alot of people are kicking around old RPG ideas these days... :)

Permission to play my old character, should you relaunch? :p

-I_H

8. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    You know I'd love to have you aboard, IH. I seem to remember that last time you grasped the idea of 'nullifying' the Force with some enthusiasm. BLemelisk also offered his support, so that's cool.

Still, I don't expect I'll start a new version for a good few weeks yet, probably after my exams. But good to hear that you're up for another shot at this game!

9. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Winged_Jedi- I think your RPG sounds very interesting. It's a bit sad that a well written, interesting concept is something to be praised here, but not everyone is, or should be, brilliant. A "fast-forward" RPG can sometimes be difficult to manage as a GM and the players are forced to create a completely new universe--but you seem to have adeptly parried this difficulty with your description of this game. And the addition of a force nullifying device is an interesting concept that has been so rarely explored. I think that the use of this as well as the consequences could be fascinating. Looking at the Star Wars canon, we see that the Force acts like a chemical equilibrium. When a stress is placed on it, it compensates to elevate that stress. With so many beings striped of contact with the Force, its actions in order to "fix" this challenge, perhaps hinted at in the Force-users that have sprung up in the Outer Rim in your intro, could be far-reaching and will certainly aid in driving the plot forward. Personally, I think that this idea is very effective and has the potential to be not only a good RPG, but also a remarkable exploration into the nature of the Force.

~ DS5

EDIT: Also, isn't it interesting that the Force-user are on the Outer Rim? The Force seems to favor those badlands in the creation of its avatars (read: Anakin Skywalker).

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm working on a Titanic RPG for NSWRP, but it's difficult to think of things unique to add to it that haven't been done before.

11. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Bacon164- a Titanic RPG? What about starting it well before the events itself? You could follow the lives of the future Captain, crew, passengers, even the men who built the ship leading up to the disaster and then, at some point, launch the ship, and watch the events play out with characters that had been significantly developed by that point.

~ DS5

12. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    How does this game sound? I tried it before, but I borrowed a concept from another game and my game was locked. I've changed it, so now there's no intentional plagiarism.

The phone began ringing loudly, demanding attention. You answered it and heard a gravelly voice at the other end. ?Play close attention to what I'm about to say. Your country requires your services. You are an accomplished scientist, so we have chosen you for a special mission. A black car, license plate number 614-BTI, will be pulling up to your house in moments. Enter the car, and everything will be explained.? The line went dead. You looked out the window and, as promised, a black car with the correct license plate stopped in front of your house. You were curious now, so you left your residence and got into the car. Inside the car was a man in a suit. He gestured for you to sit down, so you did. ?You're wondering what's going on. I can't tell you everything, but what I can tell you is this: one of our probes on the moon was disabled by an unknown radio transmission. You have been chosen to be on a team of scientists who will investigate. The rest will be revealed when we arrive.?

Please give me some feedback on this.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Inside the ZoSo Club...

As you enter the famed club ZoSo, wonder fills your eyes. This is what you've dreamed of for years!

The sights and sounds fill your mind: sweet fragrances from the exquisite food, the glint of lacquer on the guitars at the stage...So much all at once. As you pass through the second set of doors, into the dance floor, you see tall, burly Samoan bouncers. Stoping others at a small doorway, you worry for a moment - will they let me in?

You fears pass as one of them, seeing you, smiles.

"Ah! There you are. Mr. Kurovich is waiting for you." says the tall man, his hair tied back in dreadlocks.

You pass the red rope, and it is sealed behind you. Others moan in frustration, some cheer you on, but you are oblivious to them. Your attention is centred on the room ahead of you.

As you walk through the short hallway, a well dressed attendant smiles, offering to take your jacket. You absently hand it to him, making sure you have your wallet with you. The room is filled, with tables in small wall sconces. The centre contains three tables, and towards the back of the room, three steps lead up to the VIP table. You are quickly ushered up, and waiting for you is a large table, packed to the brim. One seat remains open, the one to the right of Robert Kurovich, the owner.

He smiles, his teeth white, his hair brown and long. He stands to shake your hand, and you are struck by how tall he is. He grips your hand firmly, but not too hard. A good handshake.

"So glad you could make it! Great to see you!" he says, a fairly deep voice, but you can see why he's so popular amongst the ladies.

He offers the seat for you, and sits down himself. Awestruck, the conversation is a blur for you, but you manage to make the table laugh at a few anecdotes of your own. Soon, the crowd is standing up. Surprised, you remember why it is you are here: it's your next gig. You see your band members at the table with you, and your blood is pumping.

You follow the other VIPs out to the main room. The stage has all your gear, and you walk up to it, with accompanying high-fives and pats on the back from fans and friends alike.

You get up to the stage, and see that Robert Kurovich is already there.

"How're you doing tonight? Good? Great? Bad? I hope not bad. But if that's the case, well then, maybe these guys can cheer you up, huh?" he says, a smile on his face.

The crowd cheers, loud and energy packed.

"Let's give a warm ZoSo welcome to-" Your name is drowned out in the ensuing cheer, and the lights come on, and you stare out at the crowd. It is huge.

And you're ready to rock their world.

Welcome to the ZoSo Nightclub!

Club ZoSo is an idea I've been playing with for a long time. I think now is the time I reveal it to the world.

14. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Winged_Jedi, that is an excellent idea you are working with. I am shocked as to why the first one didn't turn out as a success. Perhaps the new one will. :)

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    And now for the rest...

How the game Works

This is, strange as it sounds, a music-based role-playing game.

Huh?

Yes, that is right. In this game, you can be any kind of musician you want...concert pianist, rockstar, jazz man, or even a rapper. Okay, so, maybe not a rapper, but if you want to, go for it. The way the game works is this: every character begins the game with a Popularity Level. For the beginning, unless otherwise stated by myself, that level is the same fr all characters.

With this level, you are free to try anything you can think of: concept album, series of singles, massive live tours...but the popularity level determines if it is successful. Of course, some things can boost this level. Playing at choice clubs, for example, gives you an advantage. It gets your name out there, and makes you known.

And along with the popularity level comes your skills.

Talent:
    Technique:
    Flair:

These skills represent your abilities. The higher your talent, the easier it is for you to write music. The higher your technique, the better a player you are. And with high flair performances are easier.

And speaking of performances...

To play a gig, you need a few things: gear, material, and a place to play. Each character begins with a budget to spend on gear, to do as they please with. Gear can add bonuses to your skills, and material is simply what you play. Where you play is where the fun part comes in. Before a gig, you are given a difficulty level. This level varies depending on locale. In an exclusive club, the level will be high. But your skills can pull you through.

To succeed at a gig, you must take your skill totals, add them up, then divide by three. If this number is greater than the difficulty, you succeed.

And when you succeed, you get money, new places to play, and popularity.

Character Sheets

Name:
    Appearance:
    Personality:
    Bio:

Equipment:

Talent:
    Technique:
    Flair:
    Popularity:

Simple enough?

16. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Interesting idea. Would/should the player's musical talents (or lack of) have any effect on gameplay?

17. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    Penguinator, are the RPers to write their own songs for their characters? This could be quite fun!

18. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Winged: Aye, still love the idea. Death to the Force Users!

Bacon: Google Search the Game: Titanic, An Adventure Out of Time.

Read up on it.

You'll find a functioning plot device there.

Agap: The Standard Alien RPG, the plot is actually less done than one would think it to be.

A main issue for you to take into consideration when crafting it is keeping the action semi-sustained.... a problem with more scientific based RPGs is that, while intriguing on an academic level, they tend not to pack the boom-bam right when its needed most, namely at the beginning. A good team of posters can solve this.... or creative GMing.... or creative plot structuring.

Penguinator: So nice to see the fruits of your labor finally manifest themselves... I was wondering when your idea would get around to coming to. Glad to see it finally did.

I see no problems with it immediately. Reference Darth_Joesha's game "Lights! Camera! Action!" to learn from the events that took place there. It would be smart to take your observations there into account for your game.

All: Very nice games everyone.... bravo! =D=

19. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Thanks for the comments on my game.

DarthSeti5, I appreciate your feedback. The points you raised about the nature of the Force are insightful and exactly the kind of thing I wish to explore in this game. After all, we've never really seen anyone try and purge ALL Force users from the galaxy. It's like declaring war on the Force itself, if such a thing were possible. So, as you say, I'm looking forward to seeing how it tries to restore a balance. The Outer Rim does indeed seem to be a fitting starting point for the 'fightback'. And BTW, it's good to see you back here after such a long time.

Dark-Enigma, the first one failed for two reasons:

1) Many of our Archangels disappeared, which was rubbish as they were all at a meeting together and the game couldn't continue
    2) GMing errors on my part, including the most fundamental one of starting up a game when I didn't really have the time to run it [face_blush]

For this version, I'm not rushing it, there's plenty of time to think it through.

Penguinator, I really like that idea. Very fresh and original. I read about that concept a while ago but thought you'd dropped it. Happy to see it's alive and kicking :)

20. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    (emphasis mine)

Alien RPG? Is that what you thought? The radio transmission isn't from aliens.
    Any suggestions for fleshing out the story? Any thoughts?

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Oh, I never drop an idea. I just hold on to them for a long time.

I'm of the opinion that musical ability (or lack thereof) would only help a player. I'm assuming most players would be frontmen/women, lead singers, etc.

I'm trying to get my thoughts written out, so bear with me.

I want people to get into the feel of the music in-game, not the actual way it should be, musically speaking. For instance, you can write out a whole Tab or pages of Sheet Music for a song, but it can only help you get across what you are trying to do. Your performance post is what will be rated.

Does that make sense?

:confused:

22. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Winged_Jedi: I remember your old RPG a year ago, and quite liked it. I think the idea was a good one, and was very disappointed to see it get locked.

I would definately like to re-join, and help it stay strong.

I have an idea, that is it at the moment, just an idea, about an RPG that I think woul dbe quite interesting. It would go in the Non-SW forum, and it would be based off the times of the Trojan wars. I have been watching Troy a lot recently, and it has inspired me to do an RPG based on its events. I believe there have been quite a few RPGs that have been based around this area of time, and I would like to make it different from those, somehow.

The main characters would be:
    -Achilles the son of Peleus
    -Agamemnon
    -Patroclus
    -Odysseus
    -Hector
    -Paris
    -Helen
    -Priam

Those are just a few, and, of course, original characters would be welcome. Though, as I said, this is just an idea. I would just like to have some help with it, if all possible. :)

23. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Winged_Jedi- Thank you, it's good to be back after so long. And it's nice to see that Role Playing is still evolving and coming up with great new stories. I really hope that your RPG gets off the ground--I think that I might be interested in trying it. I'm not currently RPing right now and I kind of miss it.

~ DS5

24. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Anyone remember the game Age of Empires? What about a game like that?

Or

Maybe like an all out SW battlefront game between Seps, Republic, Imps, and Rebels.

25. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    Since it seems my last post on this seems to have been cast into oblivion along with the previous discussion thread, I shall repost it. I am, like Winged_Jedi did a while back, putting an RPG up for e-sale for any potential GM to use as a synopsis for a plot.

[blockquote][i]There is a league. A small legion. An organization that lives by its own rules, its own clock, taking orders from no one. They are hidden, concealed from the world of mere mortals. But it is this world that they protect. Evils appear from the skies, from underground, from the air of the atmosphere. And it is this league that diminishes them, defeats them, extinguishes their attempts at enormities. They have powers, abilities that are inhuman. They are less than gods, but more than men, and possess traits that are remarkable. The world only catches glimpses of them from time to time when they are defeating the evils that threaten Earth. But they do not appreciate them. They believe that they are misfits, and do not belong in their "perfect" world. But yet, the organization still thrives, motivated by protecting their world, for it is theirs just as much as the rest of the mortals. Where they come from, they do not know. But they are there now, and the present is all that matters. They do not dwell on the past, and do not look towards the future. They focus on the now, and defeating all evil. They are the Legion of Enigma.

But on December 12th of the year 2016, newly elected president Lionel Newhouse issued a demand to the country and it?s militia that the Legion of Enigma shall now fall and diminish from the eye of America. He proclaimed that any individual, man or woman, would be executed if found guilty of assisting the Legion in their "sinister" aspirations. Of course, most of the world despises the Legion regardless, so this affects her citizens little.

The Legion of Enigma knows that they cannot stand up to the prodigious world with what little members they have. But the arrival of a superhuman who shares their ideals possessing powers superior to their own may turn the tide of the impending war... and the future of mankind.[/i][/blockquote]

[hr]

I only ask that if you are considering using this as an RPG of your own, please toss a PM my way to receive my written consent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.