main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Darth-Nemesis, Interesting idea, but I'm curious, would it take a more historical direction or a more mythological direction with gods throwing thunderbolts and curses at the soldiers....

Holy cow! That gave me a great idea! Black & White: The RP? (Title very much subject to change)

The players control a pantheon of gods, each with a specific "congregation", if you will, of worshippers and a sphere of influence limited by who's worshipping them and where.

The difficulty would be in creating gods who aren't (in RP terms) godly.

Just think about all the hijinks of the Greek gods, or those zany Norse gods. (apologies if I offended any polytheists out there). This is pure RP Gold... except I seem to be not the most successful GM. Like Winged_Jedi, I wouldn't start this until I have more time, and maybe some of the other RPs I've committed to die/are completed, but that just gives me time to flesh it out.

Expect a less scatterbrained-y post about this within the week (hopefully). I'm sleepy now though.

I'd also like to start/join a superhero RP not bound by any est. comics continuity. A completely original superhero team, if anyone's thinking of something along those lines. Marvel and DC are great, but too often players find themselves stuck in Batman's or Wolverine's boots.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    SephyClone: I did something like that a while back. If you're interested, I could send you what I had, and let you take a look over it.

3. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Yes, that would be quite nice.

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I am thinking about starting a Strategy/fleet game, based in the near future. It would probably take place in 2020, and there would be 14 or 15 playable countires (including the U.S., United Kingdom, Brazil, and India, all with certain advantages and disadvantages) What do you guys think?

5. Pat5451

Pat5451 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2005
    I have a question. Okay, you know how after you have done something, and you think of a new thing for your rpg, but you can't edit the first post. How would you beable to do that?

Oh, and I am going to be working on a rpg, I just have to think of something that hasn't been done before... which is probably going to be weird.

6. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    That's an awesome RPG idea. Just awesome. It would be really cool to roleplay as a god. As for making sure that players don't go overboard with their godly powers, I would suggest that your best course is to clearly define what the players, as gods, can and cannot do in the opening post.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Just follow standard rules: no true godmoding (killing other characters without warning, destroying the world, etc.).

8. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    SephyCloneNo15- something that might help with your RP idea is a division between the Gods powers. By limited them to certain spheres: water, fire, night, clouds, etc; you might be able to balance out the game play a bit.

~ DS5

9. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Thanks for the tips. I look forward to having the time to start it. Do you think Players participating in Creation would work? Or do you think that would be too tough to RP/GM?

10. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    It could be interesting to have they Create their world. Empower the players and give them a sense of ownership in the game that few others have. Then again, you could run into issues of who creates what and under what circumstances; however, I think that an adept GM could handle it with a bit of work.

~ DS5

11. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    RPG Idea-

Three words: Miss America Pagent

That is all.

(Or Mr, or whatever, you get the point)

12. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I am sooo for making a first post for that....

:D

Thats the kind of wild-eyed kookiness I like to see!

"The Miss Galaxy Pagent" will be the next new first post I create...

[face_laugh]

-I_H

13. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Since I don't have time to run it, feel free to take it. It would be great fun indeed.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I like the idea of a Miss Galaxy Pageant. Really go to town with Sounil Mistry. :D

I have an idea, and have no time or inclination to be a GM for anything.

Related to Star Wars...007 Series, MI5 Extracurricular Activities

Somewhere to allow the rp-ing of plotlines not directly related to the main game, such as the wedding between two characters, or other off-screen stuff, or alternate mission.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    agap_afima, while the meat of your idea might be interesting, I'm not sure about the black car outside the house bit, as sometimes when rpgs start at the house, with the mystious letter/call/email, it can take too long to get into the story.

For example, Dubya_ Scott, and I'm fairly sure the latter rpg belongs to him as well:
    The Star Wars....007 Series tend to start in a briefing room with all the characters gathered, we get the mission, start interacting fairly quickly, and are into the game.

Jurassic Park. Good story, starts of with the mysterious letter through the front door like yours, but the rpg runs out of steam and dies by time the characters get to the island!

So, start closer to the action is all I'm suggesting, not back at the individual characters' homesteads.

16. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Jurassic Park was Imperial_Hammer's baby, I think.

Why has there never been a Kingdom Hearts RPG in these forums? It really does have potential- Disney characters for all you Disney fans, Final Fantasy characters for the FF fans, and a decent storyline to hold it all together. I sort of expected one to have emerged by now in the non-SW RPF, especially with the NA release of Kingdom Hearts II and everything. I guess there just isn't a big enough fanbase among the RPers here.

17. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Hmm... I haven't gotten a chance to play KHII. But there are some other crossover games already going on at the moment, so that's a start. Though KH was more about the protagonist with cameos rather than a whole bunch of people.

18. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I decided that the Moon RPG would be too hard to pull off.
    However, I have a new idea....

Thank you for choosing the Solar Jewel! As you know, the Solar Jewel is a multi-billion dollar cruise starship that is the product of 10 years of work and an international collaboration. The Solar Jewel is an amazing feat of engineering and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities for your enjoyment. This ship utilizes a break-through fusion drive engine that enables the ship to travel to the edge of the solar system and back in only a few weeks! Be one of the lucky few who buys a ticket and undergoes a journey like no other!
    The Solar Jewel is capable of holding up to 12,000 passengers. The ship is kilometers long and has everything anyone would ever need on the voyage. However, the trip might be more dangerous than thought. As this represents the pinnacle of engineering and is a collaboration between countries, this ship could be a target for people who are up to no good. If the ship gets in trouble when it's in space, no one is coming to help.

How does this sound? Thoughts? Comments?

19. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I was in a KH prequal RP a while back at a different forum. It was great. It was about the creation of the Heartless and the first Keyblades. The players formed a team of Keyblade-possessing heroes trying to restore the Light to worlds devastated by the Heartless. Instead of Disney worlds, we picked just about any non-Disney world (some examples include Metroid and Zelda). Unfortunately, in both iterations it died young. If I can find the link, I'll post it so anyone interested in doing a KH RP could check it out.

20. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Kingdom Hearts is indeed an amazing game, but an RPG based on it would probably be pretty hard to manage. It's pretty much all centered around one character (Sora), so it would be difficult having multiple players in a story about one person. I realize that others could play members of Organization XIII, but secrecy is their trademark, and having RPers depict their actions, revealing them to the whole world, would diminish the purpose.

If Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy is your thing, I'm currently devising an RPG similar to the two that I believe is evolving quite nicely. :)

21. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Like I said (very abbreviated version of my previous post), it doesn't have to be a retelling of KH. It doesn't even have to take place at the same time as KH. It's such a(n implied) broad universe that the possibilities within are endless. The notion behind KH, that being that all places are connected, and thus when one is at risk, all are at risk, works well for an RP.

Alright, I'm gonna try making a rough 1st post for the God RP

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'd play it.

23. alpha_red_83

alpha_red_83 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2005
    I'd really appreciate if there are many caring people out there to join the F.E.A.R (First Encounter Assault and Reconaissance) RP. We do need a lot of people, and it semes to be progressing well. The more the merrier! [face_batting]

24. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Hey alpha_red_83, you might want to post that in RPG Introduction Service, it's exculsively for GMs looking for players and vice versa. :)

~ DS5

25. alpha_red_83

alpha_red_83 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2005
    Much obliged, DarthSeti5. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.