main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Hmmm. I suppose that could work. Perhaps having more than one Keyblade Master (5 or 6 maybe?), enabling more people to get in on the action?

Goodie, another RPG idea... [face_frustrated]

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    You could also split up roles, if you wanted to make so one person could find the keyholes, one person could reveal/create them, one person could seal them, etc. That way you don't have mass clonings, and you still involve everyone one.

3. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I have a few questions/comments about your RPG. You say that the more mortals worship you, the more power you have. But you don't specify exactly how much power you get when a certain number of mortals worship you. Could you give something like levels to describe how powerful the gods are and what they are able to do? You might have to have a certain number of people worship you to reach a level. Also, how will you GM the game? Will you try to make things interesting by ICing posts for priests/rulers/other gods? There are a lot of possibilities. Kingdoms in the game world could have official religions and declare war on one another if pushed by their gods. Gods could create heroes or perform miracles or incite holy wars. Also, on the CS instead of putting "God of..." you could put "Domain."

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Great points, dont

I could, but for now I'm going to leave it vague because I'd just be pulling those numbers out of my you-know-where. If possible, though, I'd try to simulate an ever-changing populace (births, wars, famines) so it'd be more of a percentage thing.

Once again, purely conjecture, but I was considering giving myself an IC character as some super(as in prefix meaning "above or beyond")-godly personification of Fate or destiny. I might also open the doors to having other players portraying religious or political leaders, revolutionaries etc.... but, of course, the primary focus would be on the gods, and I'm not sure about how I would go about establishing a degree of balance on the gods vs. mortals that would be realistic to the gods' assumed power and at the same time, avoid discouraging mortal players on the grounds that they could be struck dead at a whim.

I would also probably have multiple Co-GMs helping to coordinate the affairs of mortals, the affairs of gods, perhaps one dealing with nature if that were to become an issue, although it would really depend on the god demographics.

Believe me, that's what I'm hoping for, whether the mortals are semi-individually controlled or controlled at a whim by their gods.

5. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Hmm... I've been thinking a "Paranormal Agency" style game would be cool. International organization dedicated to preserving the balance between the forces of the supernatural, drawing from global mythology and such. Be it werewolves in London, vampires in Los Angeles, golems in Jerusalem or jiang shi in China, it could be great. Chasing artifacts, fighting monsters, visiting exotic locales such as Laputa or Olympus, dealing with the supernatural and the occult... think series like Ghostbusters, MIB, Hellsing, Priest, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, X-files, Bleach, YuYu Hakusho, Darkstalkers... man the list goes on. What an exciting idea!

Hmm... I may need to give this one more thought...

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I like Lightwarden's idea.

Even have a character for it, if he launches one. Detective Kate Lockley, formerly of the LAPD in the Angel tv series, then as a member of Special Unit 2 in the previous Buffy game on the RPF. :D

Running a quick eye over the 'gods getting powers by people worshipping them' idea, I am reminded of the Stargate Drinking Game, where, for instance, you take a sip of your beverage if Teal'c raises an eyebrow.

In the same way, for a worship/powers ratio (I'm making up words and their context as I go along :p), if someone mutters "Hail, [Gods Name]", which is pretty much all my characters do, then the deity gets to use a certain level of power(s), but if they sacrifice a cow, then bwoi, you get to escalate those powers. :D

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
  8. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    That too, though I haven't read too much Hellboy. This might not be the most original idea on the planet, but at least there's a wealth of sources to draw upon.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Still sounds fun.

10. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Devil May Cry...as if LW didn't have enough examples (although I'd imagine you're talking about more than one person)

11. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Yeah, Dante and Trish are also examples of the at least one type of possible work. Then there's always the possibilities of going relic grabbing like Indiana Jones, inquisition work Witch Hunter Robin style, clean-up/cover-up, maybe even detective work or diplomacy. Boatloads of *stuff* that you could use in an RPG.

Hmmm... and just imagine the sorts of stuff you could do for your work. Arcane magic, weapons, technology, spiritualism, interaction with creatures of lore, all sorts of various schools and subschools of magic, combat, ability, redeemed monsters and barely controlled ones, half-breeds and tainted ones... and you don't even have to be someone else's character. It might be fun to have cameos, working with various characters and organizations of like-minded (or even opposed) individuals... though I'm not sure if that might not be overdoing it, I do rather like the vast resources already offered by myth.

Hmm... the issue of exotic locales does come up a bit, since I doubt the GM has even been to all of the places possible. But hey, it's an excuse for more research!

12. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    What to LW is "research" most of us consider "vacation"

If you need to "research" Portugal, I'm going there for Spring Break...I'll take notes. lol

13. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I was thinking about Sephy's gods RPG and about Baldur's Gate (a computer game) and formed an interesting idea for a RPG. This is a brief sketch of the story:

The Thief God Mock stole the Dice of Chance from the supreme god, Celor. In return, Celor banished all the other gods to the Mortal Realms until the Dice were returned. The gods were forced to take mortal forms. They have become vulnerable to attack and usurpation of their position in the pantheon. This is not common knowledge. But several of the most powerful warriors and wizards on the continent have found out and joined together to hunt down the gods, kill them, and take their places. You play as one of these people. But you will have to work fast, for the other gods are searching for the Dice to return them to Celor.

This concept isn't exactly original. It forms part of the backstory of Baldur's Gate. But I thought it would make a cool RPG.

14. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    We need an Indiana Jones or James Bond RP. The only problem is everyone is going to want to play those two main characters and after that, there arn't many good people to pick. Well, there's Short Round and M :p , but other than those there won't be to many characters in high demand.

15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I was going to mention the Time of Troubles as a possible example of a background for a divine RPG. That way there's a lot more risk involved for the players. They're mortals, just really powerful ones.

For those of you unaware, The Time of Troubles refers to a series of events in Faerun, the big Dungeons & Dragons campaign settings during the 80s and 90s. Basically, the great overdeity had gotten cheesed by the gods and their actions, so he made them mortal. Hilariaty and deicide ensues.

16. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I think a game based on a Real Time Strategy game could work well. Take Rome: Total War, for example. Players could RP as Roman generals going out to conquer provinces for the Empire or Republic, depending on timeframe. Historical accuracy would obviously take a backseat to making the game easy and fun to play.

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Having just beaten Spartan: Total Warrior, I'm of the opinion that we need a game like that. But with a good Beowulf character.

Or, a Beowulf/Viking/Mythology game...

Whoa...I'm going to start selling/giving concepts to people...

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Hmm... decisions. In thinking of this paranormal agency game, I'm torn between possible ideas for an era. On one hand, there's the late 1990s, where you've got all sorts of modern stuff and technology to give an extra edge to mortals, and on the other, there's the late 1890s, which could allow for some fun with the brilliant universe of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm thinking probably the 1990s would be better (though without being *too* picky about the things that exist in the early 2000s), as there's more familiarity, and there's the whole "let's not totally rip off Alan Moore or Philip Jose Farmer", even though there's more freedoms, such as lands that haven't been explored yet. Hmm... perhaps 1990s with references... that could work. Anyone else got any suggestions?

Edit: Actually, a series of "League" style games set in different eras or even parts of the world would be unbelievably cool if done correctly. Though further thought will be required, and I like my mythology for now.

19. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Right now I'm looking for someone to Co-GameMaster an upcoming RPG with myself. It's Saw inspired and will feature only a limited number of characters.

With the fact that I'm all ready Co- GMing two RPG's. And one whole one if it ever gets off the ground, I'd really like a Co-Game Master.

So, basically, in you're interested in Horror and the Saw Series, send me a PM and we can discuss story and such.

20. alpha_red_83

alpha_red_83 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2005
    Whoa. Talk about ultimate horror there, Obi-Wan21. That's no where near my F.E.A.R. RP. Believe me, I've been warned of the violence, gore, and profanity in my RP. But your RP, damn. 10x more. *bites nails*

21. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Hello everyone. Many of you may know me, and many of you may not. Either way, I have a proposition for a game for the non-sw rp forum.

It is a play on Kingdom Hearts, spanning many years after Sora, Riku, and Mickey. I thought I'd give it less of a Disney twist (with worlds and all) and switched to something many players are familiar with: anime.

I've already included an opening post, along with characters and worlds, and there will be room for two Keyblade bearers if anyone should care to join.

I would need a co-gm (or two) to monitor the players of the keyblade wielders along with the characters from the worlds (there are many, and the parts are very significant).

If anyone would like, I could post what I have sketched down and we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

~ZV

22. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I'd like to see it

23. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Hmm... but which anime? There's a huge level of difference in the scale of deeds in anime. You've got scales from beating up (or being beat up by) a few punks in series like GTO to (spoiler-ish)"let's DESTROY THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!" in Space Runaway Ideon. How are you going to moderate that kind of power?

24. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Trust me LightWarden, the anime will stick to the Kingdom hearts type of combat and storylines. The characters themselves (from whichever worlds) will be entangled in romances, personal struggles, and even the vicious villains that could plague their very world.

It's not going to be like Dragonball Z or anything, with people flying around all over the place, shooting people with energy. It will be more involved with characters ranging from the three types of Kingdom Hearts characters: Magic, Attack, and Defense. Summons will be included as well.

I have a list on my home computer (I am at school at the moment), but I can rattle off a few of the anime I have in mind:

Inuyasha
    Trigun
    Samurai Champloo
    One Piece
    Naruto
    Cyborg 009

There are more of course, but as I said, the list is on my computer. I thought I would stick to anime that I have watched and know well enough to add to the game itself.

I will add more later, once I have control of my computer of course. But to further answer your last question:

I plan on having a few Co-GM's, most of which who have seen or have a fair knowledge of the anime of the game or a considerable knowledge of Kingdom Hearts. They will focus on two or more worlds (there are and will be many) and the NPC's of that world. They will be told how certain NPC's react and how they will act with the Main Characters.

Certain playable NPC's (Like Inuyasha for example) will be able to accompany the Main Characters on quests in their world.

I hope that answers it, if not, I will go more in depth when I gain control of my computer.

25. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Yeah, Alpha, it would be gory and such. Of course it would be slightly toned down for a fair rating, but it would still be a Saw game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.