main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Thanks again for the enthusiasm on the last game guys, but I've decided that my next game (after my current one, or running concurrently if the RPF Rules are changed) will be an old idea that I submitted for a GDG competition back in 2006. I made a brief trailer for it today, so I'll put that up as well.

This will probably be the opening post, so feedback and advice appreciated.

[i][b][u]STAR WARS: Era[/b][/i][/u]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kKCauMUn3Q]TRAILER[/link]

[b]Introduction[/b]

This RPG has many inspirations and influences, but is unique in its style and concept. The themes are ancestry, descent and family history. The game will take place over several periods of galactic history, and consequently you will not play as one character throughout but as several characters- each one a descendant of the previous.

You begin in 25,000 BBY, a peasant on the streets of Coruscant. The galaxy is a wondrous and exciting place. With the advent of the hyperdrive, vague dreams of a galactic government look set to become a reality. Earn some credits and begin to do what you wish to do. After you have made your mark, the game will move onwards to a new era, in this case perhaps the First Great Schism (five hundred years later), and you will play as a new character, a descendant of the original Coruscanti peasant. And after a while, the game will move onwards again. And so on, with your family name becoming famous (or infamous) in the annals of galactic history.

[b]Time-Shifts[/b]

At this point, I cannot honestly say how long each individual period will last (in board-time). I would estimate about a month, but this may vary depending on several factors, including posting rates and player interest. For example, if you are having tons of a fun in a particular era, I will wait a little longer before moving forwards. I will also give notice of upcoming time-shifts at least two weeks in advance. If you are still in the middle of a tag or scenario when the two weeks are up, we will still have to move forward, and afterwards you can simply post how the situation ended.

Note that the amount of years we shift forwards will not always be constant. By that I mean we will not always move forward at the same intervals. It may be as little as ten years, or as much as a thousand. It depends on how much is happening at that stage in galactic history. Which means that sometimes you may be playing as a distant descendant of your previous character, and sometimes you may be playing as their child or grandchild.

[b]Gameplay[/b]

You are free to do as you wish. The storyline will vary depending on era. One month you may play as a young soldier wishing to join Exar Kun?s Sith crusade. The next month you might be that soldier?s grandson, helping the Republic recover from the war with Revan and Malak. Earn money by doing various tasks and jobs, and then decide what you want to spend it on. At the start of each new era, I will put up a 'store' to give you some ideas of what you can spend credits on. They are only ideas, though- you can really buy absolutely anything you want, if you have the money. Set up a shipyard, or become a weapons manufacturer. Get a job as a politician, a singer, a crimelord. Buy a ship and go explore uncharted regions. If you are Force-sensitive, found an academy of your own, or join an existing Order. Depending on your wealth and the era, you might even try buying whole star systems or founding a new government!

Whatever you do will have an impact on your descendants, and therefore your next character. Which brings us on to?

[b]Heritage[/b]

When we shift forward to a new era, the amount of wealth and reputation your new character will begin with will depend on your previous character. For example, if your previous character ended up becoming a rich noble, your new character might still live on the same estate with inherited wealth and prestige. Similarly, if your last character died without leaving much behind for his family, your new character might be in the slums s

2. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    You did it again, Wing. Beautiful, I love the idea. The fate aspect gives it a kind of spontaneity.

3. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    You come up with to many good ideas. You Gm them all well as well. Its a Shame your only human and can't GM all of them.

4. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    While brainstorming ideas for my Smuggler RP, another idea came upon me:

The Amazing Race

Yes, a Star Wars RP based on the reality tv show. The teams would consist of two RPers, and each of the teams will be racing each other across the galaxy. At each planet, the teams will be required to a certain number of tasks. Once the tasks are compelted, the teams must go to the check point for a mandatory rest period. I had planned on using Hammer's method, first used in the Podracer RPG, where a certain number of posts must be reached before a task could be completed and the quality of the posts depends on how fast a team completes the task.

Talking about Podracer made me think of another RP I tried once before, and may conisder starting again, which was a Gladiator/Star Wars crossover. The system would once again be similar to Hammer's Podracer, except the players are fighting, instead of racing....of course.

Thoughts?

5. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Wing, would you require new Sheets by PM submission every time shift? That could definitely get a little tedious, although I'm not really sure how else you could do it...

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000

I once considered that. In fact we kinda had something like that a long time ago way back when this forum first started. It was a gladiator free form thread where players could fight against each other. Called the Colosseum i think.

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, it's not ideal, but I figure with two weeks' notice for every time shift it wouldn't be too much hassle. Besides (and I may only be speaking for myself here), I find the creation of character sheets to be quite an enjoyable task. Certainly here I imagine it could be quite fun to design the descendant of the character you are currently playing.

8. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    That would be cool.

9. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    I love making character sheets, granted I may not be the best at it.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hm. How about a game about the formation of the Jedi Order - you know, set during the Force Wars on Tython, that sort of thing?

11. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    To the extent of my knowledge, that is a very undeveloped area of time. It would give you a lot of room for customization. I would certainly join the game. Would you be GMing it, if it came to pass?

12. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Don't panic everyone, but look what page number we're on (if you roll 25 PPP, or whichever setting is on page 42...blast, I spoiled it)

So, an idea popped into my head the other day. I'm not a big fan of some of the changes made to the Marvel Ultimate universe, especially on Spidey's side of the tracks, but the idea is good. So here's my idea, the NSWRPF's own new Marvel Universe, eerily similar to 616, but with each player taking a character and somewhat reimagining them. I thought the best way to do this would be to set up an Avengers game. I would give a roster of allowed characters, along with a partial character sheet for each listing certain details that must remain constant in a particular character from universe to universe. It would mostly center around their identity and powers, just to avoid Tony Stark becoming the Amazing Spider Man because he uses Mjolnir to give himself a healing factor and Adamantium skeleton. I'm using Cap as an example, although he's actually got a lot more red than most characters would. It would look something like this:

I'd use an iteration of the Avengers because it allows a rather flexible Marvel roster, meaning I can grab a huge list of everyone who's ever been an Avenger, maybe prune a little, and give people a wide variety to choose from. I think I might, if it ever actually happens, make Cap and/or Iron Man required participants. I can also run it rather episodically with a wide range of Marvel history to draw inspiration from. Perhaps we could deal with Galactus, or the legions of Doom, or Hydra, or the Sinister Six. Perhaps there could even be a Super-Human Registration Act, or M-Day. So many possibilities. The game practically writes itself, and it would too, right here and now, if I hadn't promised Elu a character sheet before I devote the rest of the night to my shiny new Orange Box :D

13. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    ...Sounds VERY cool. I'd love to see tha idea actually make the light of day.

here is a very slim out line I have for a Rp of my ownb

True Sith was the only way Revan knew how to describe knew how to describe them. Wherever they went, the Force went silent, almost like it was in terror at their very presence. When the memory of the Yuuzhan Vong returned to him, he had to set out on his own. Any other method of trying to stop them might escalate their presence and force the Galxy to go to war with them. Ultimately Revan failed, though he managed to escape with his life. All his efforts where in vain, as the Yuuzhan Vong had now set their sights on the republic, witch has been battered by two full scale wars now. The jedi, the sith, and the Mandolrians have just began rebuilding themselves. Together though, they just might stand a chance.

14. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Haha 42!!

I ... suppose. :p The idea just popped into my head, I guess it would be a bit crass to float the idea then go and talk someone else into GMing it...

Meditate on this, I will. [face_thinking]

15. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    Hey, I'm still excited about Era. If and When that comes to pass.

16. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Golly gee, Sephy. T'would be just dandy to try my hand at Iron Man. Granted I will probably mess it up, I would love to try it. Shoot me a PM when you plan on shakin' up the NSWRPF with that little peach of an idea.

17. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Alright, since someone apparently managed to randomly generate my CD key to pirate the game for themselves, I'm apparently not playing Portal all night. I guess that means I can work a little bit more on my Avengers idea.

18. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    Wow...that looks complete now. Nice. Though I wondering how I'm going to decide to choose either between Thor, Beast, Strange, and Hawkeye.

Can't Wait to see if you throw the Civil War at players. THAT would be intersting.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    No Bruce Banner? You're making me angry...

20. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Woah, I was basically just transcribing the list from Wikipedia. Either they excluded Hulk or I somehow skipped him. That oversight would definitely be corrected in future versions of the game.

21. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    It would be pretty cool to play as a Spider-Man who is still synced up with the Syombite. This game seems almost complete now. All you need is about two sentences for everyone else, and to include the Hulk.

22. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Hey everyone. This will be my first attempt at creating a game in a long, long time. I was reading through this thread today and saw an idea for an Amazing Race Star Wars Crossover. That gave me an idea. I present to you, Big Brother: Star Wars Edition.

23. Yukari_Nahashi

Yukari_Nahashi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2008
    I know I'm new and no one will likely listen to me right away, but I had an idea for a Star Wars game. It would run like a paranormal murder/mystery and have a relatively small cast (Six main characters, the rest NPCs). It's inspired by an anime series I had watched called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry, its in english now)

The story would take place on a distant world and all of the characters are students as a remote Jedi academy. The academy itself is part of a small village (maybe no more than 2000 people) and the students or varying ages all learn within what would be a small schoolhouse with no separation in grades.

The characters themselves would be anywhere from 10-17 years old, but I'd like to have something in regards to accuracy:

Two characters are identical twins of the same gender (male or female, doesn't matter... but the players would have to work on this together to make it work)

Two characters have to be around age 10, and by around I mean really close to.

I have a few other ideas, but nothing is really in the making just yet. I am hoping to get some good feedback and maybe some help in developing this game.

Thank you~!

24. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Blargh, this thread can be hard to find. Would it be possible to sticky it?

Irregardless, here's a little something I cooked up as a backup in case Avengers Assemble can't survive the catastrophic loss of its favorite Thunder God, or if I'm just still in the mood when the game reaches some other forgone conclusion. Inspired by another of this summer's comic-based Blockbusters (don't get your hopes up, I'm not brave enough to run a Batman RPG, although I'd love to participate in one...)

25. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Interest abundant, Sephs. I want to play in that game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.