1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I think I would have to reintroduce Reynar Points if someone made a good Batman RPG.
  2. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Batman's just such a complicated animal to make a good RP out of. You have the Bat himself, mind like a diamond, peak physical condition, and ultimately, one person. Makes it hard to play the good guy. Then you have the rogues gallery, each equally interesting characters that need to be taken into account. So you either have a whole bunch of established characters to be played as, or you have a whole bunch of established characters to write out of the game or leave as NPCs so that only the GM has that sort of fun. Plus, villain-to-villain interaction is always a weird, uncommon occurrence, so it's hard to get interaction without it seeming forced if you have villains as playable characters. Gotham is just an awkward setting to put a game like this in.

Then again, I seem to recall talk (before I was too into Batman) of an Arkham Asylum game. Did that rear its ugly head? What exactly was there to the game? Was it just the villains hanging around at Arkham, or was there more to it, like forcing them to work together and try to break out or take control of the Asylum or convince the director to demand that Batman be imprisoned at Arkham as well? Most importantly, was it fun?
  3. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Arkham Asylum would be a pretty awesome setting.
  4. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Short answer: don't let people play Batman. Or the high-end villains. Make them NPCs, no character sheets at all. Because people either won't play them right anyway, or will foment jealousy amongst those who didn't get their CSes in fast enough to claim him.

I rather liked Peng's "Gotham Knights" -- create a second tier of heroes and villains and work with that. Get the setting and the world, without having to pick up the characters.
  5. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm trying to think of ways to do this. Nothing so far.
  6. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Well there always seems to be a lot of interest in crime RPGs around here, centered around the mob and whatnot. Have the players in the Falcone/Maroni family, and do missions and such just like a regular mafia RPG, only with comic book undertones. Establish Batman as an urban myth, i.e. "Can he really fly?" rather than tackling the character head-on. Make the characters the Joker's pawns a la the opening of The Dark Knight (albeit don't let their players know it, then they'll turn into psychics).

*pops in two cents, walks out*
  7. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I think it would be interesting for the players to react to the mysterious disappearances at the hands of Batman. That's a really good idea, Reynar.
  8. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I'd play it, for what it's worth (From a lowly noob such as myself, not much...)

It seems like something that catches the feel of both the new movie and the old 1940s stories by Bill Finger (Where Batman actually did come up against the mob quite a bit)
  9. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    Seems I came back at the right time...

*LOL Inflation!*

Instead of writing a long explanatory post about this subject, I'll get to the point. Any major character in the comic should be NPC. Even if a person does play a certain role "right" there are going to be objections and "the real blank wouldn't have done that!". The GMs god, as I remember Peng saying, therefore there would be no arguments against NPCs, that anyone would really care about.

Anyway, I have this idea that goes along with this current superhero theme. I'm planning the game around a team, superheroes or non-superheroes(doesn't matter) probably a mix of both, that lives in a world where Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the Watchmen, Hulk, and probably even some Capcom stars are all part of one world. Now instead of blasting around fighting villainy like the Justice League or the Avengers, they are more of a mercenary/Bounty Hunter type of group for hire by anyone, except of course known criminals like Batman.

Like if Superman needed someone to be security detail for Lois Lane or if Lex Luthor, who technically isn't a criminal, hired someone to kill Batman(vigilante). Those kind of formalities.

I would use popular villains along with original creations (NPCs) to keep things spicy and hot like Stephen Colbert.

-B-
  10. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    Are you planning like your back?
  11. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, Nicola, Blureguard is teh backest.

-B-

ED: Also, if anyone would be interested in a game like that, please voice it through a PM or public, because when I say team I really mean a select few, like 4 or 5 RPers. (Teams are teams when everyone is not apart of it) Also because I wanted the game to start with the first post. :-B
  12. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    While I'd agree with that sort of assertion probably about 85-98% of the time, Batman's a different story. Batman's cast of characters is far too rich to write off or relegate as NPCs. To make them all NPCs is asking for a GM headache at the least, or for the GM to go off the deep end trying to really get in the heads of all the maniacs that populate Gotham. Conversely, you take out too many of the big guns in Gotham, and all you're left with is a dried husk of Gotham's former glory, something that would look right at home in some emo kid's attempt at being the next great thing in literature. The notable crazies are what makes Gotham Gotham, and why an indeterminate number of years into the future, Gotham's still full of Batmen, Joker-wannabes, Bane-wannabes, some weirdo hybrid of Scarecrow and Mad Hatter (Yeah, I drew from both Batman Beyond and DKR for those examples).

Gotham's not a sustainable setting without its lovable crazies, and you're asking for trouble to put them all in the hands of the GM. Best bet with a Batman RPG is to figure out a way to get players in the roles of the rogues, or get them up and running as surrogate Batmen (which has already been attempted, and regrettably, died).
  13. R_Zion Force Ghost

star 4
    Alright, I've been tossing around this idea in my head tonight, but I thought I'd through out the general idea I had to you all and see if it stuck.

While trying to decide what type of game I'd like to GM, the idea came to me that I could perhaps do a 'Family Simulation Game.' A small group of players would play the members of a household and in their hands is the responsibility for the interactions and storylines within the household. The GM would be responsible with interactions for the characters of the family outside the house and providing outside plotlines to liven up their lives, as well as throwing monkey-wrenches into things at home (IE- broken appliances, the cat gets out, the bird dies, the mother-in-law comes for a visit). Likewise, it would be up to the family to create their own united backstory....how mom met dad and they both got married, how the kids were born, what grandpa did back in the Big One and saved the civilized world single-handedly.

To avoid the problem of connections with NPCs in the community, the family would be newly moved to the community and learning the ins and outs of the community with the player. Likewise, the type of family storyline the players want to make is up to them. It could either be a serious family drama like 7th Heaven or some such or a realistic comedy like the earlier seasons of the Simpsons. Basically, it's a text-based, multi-player version of the Sims, I guess.

Anyway, I think that's all that had come up in my mind thus far. Does such a game interest you guys? Any comments or suggestions?
  14. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    I like it.

Its new, its innovative, its creative. :)

The only thing I worry about is that lives sometimes can be boring...

A good GM would take care to make life interesting for these Sims w/o making it unbelievable (crises and appliance breakdowns every other day :p )

Not too tall an order though IMO, it can be done.

You could even expand your player base by fielding 2 or 3 families simultaneously.

Feel free to PM or IM me about it if you want a sounding board on some ideas. :)

-I_H
  15. BloodHawk88 Jedi Padawan

How abotu that Fable 2? I think it is going to be way way better then the first one.
  16. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Hey, RPF! I don't usually come around here, so you probably don't know me, but I've just started a game that, if you're into superheros, you might enjoy.

All the details are in the thread here, but for a quick summation, it's a sort of parody to conventional superhero teams and things of that nature.

I have a lot planned for this game, so if you're into that sort of thing, you should check it out. Hopefully we can have some fun with it. [face_peace]
  17. Ree Force Ghost

star 5
    I am also new around here and looking for a thread or something that explains how to play RPG and the rules of playing RPG. Can anyone PM me and help me out??
  18. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    These are the posts you're looking for.

Edit: And it appears that you already found them.
  19. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, I PMed Ree already. :D Always nice to meet someone who asks for the FAQ first, rather than last. :D :D Welcome, Ree!
  20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    tosses another idea onto the board

I'm full of ideas...

Terminator: Rage Against the Machines

It is post-Activation and the world is devastated from the nuclear attacks made by the artificial intelligence known as Skynet. Thousands of robotic war machines are being mass produced with one sole purpose in mind: The utter and total annihilation of the inferior human race.

You are a survivor of the nuclear holocaust in Europe and have joined up with several others who have managed to evade the killing machines, T-800s, to form a small pocket resistance against Skynet's forces. Your rebels are but one of many world-wide that have rallied under the banner of John Connor. Your mission: Destroy the Terminators at all costs, rescue other survivors, continue the human race through procreation, survival and avoid and evading detection.

The characters would be set up similar to Dungeons & Dragons to define what kind of civilian they are.

Eight players consisting of the following classes or combination of classes:

A Bard - a performer whose music works magic--a wanderer, a tale-teller, and a jack-of-all trades (a journalist, an actor, an artist, a musician and so on)
    A Fighter - a warrior with exceptional combat capability and unequaled skill with weapons (a soldier [can be a terrorist also], a boxer, a martial artist, and so on)
    A Cleric - a master of religion, history and the healing arts and a capable warrior as well (a priest, a historian, a doctor of any field or both a doctor and a priest and so on)
    A Wizard - A civilian schooled in the scientific arts (a scientist, a geek, and so on)
    A Rogue - a tricky, skillful scout and spy who wins the battle by stealth rather than brute force (any kind of outlaw)
    A Paladin - a champion of justice and destroyer of evil (any law enforcer)
    A Ranger - a cunning, skilled warrior of the wilderness (a hunter, an athlete, a park ranger, and so on)
    A Druid/Monk - one who draws energy from the natural world to gain strange knowledge (a hippie, an environmentalist, a monk, a druid, and so on)
    A Worker - a civilian who spends his entire life producing work through hard labor or skill (a crafter, a worker, a businessman, a soccer mom and so on)

Every person will have eventually learned how to use a weapon but the class will also define how well they adapt as a rebel. A police officer, a hunter, a gangster and a soldier will have adapted the best while a soccer mom or a computer geek might not have and are better off staying behind and producing food/items, intelligence support or new gadgets for example.

Now there will be many multi-classes for example:

A Rogue/Wizard could be a thief who specializes in chemistry and therefore can create explosives and/or some nasty chemicals while still being street wise. But a simple Rogue would just be a thief who is street wise.

A Worker/Cleric could be a civilian who teaches night classes and is a reverend during the day or a medical doctor during the day but has a part-time job with Dominos at night because he's a work-o-holic.

A Cleric/Fighter could be a chaplain in the army or a religious terrorist.

Anyway this is all off the top of my head at the moment.
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    *Subtly points at a hypothetical copy of the d20 Modern rulebook*
  22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Not gonna use D20. Just borrowing the classes to define civilians. I can always rename the classes.
  23. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Oh, okay. Carry on then, seems like an interesting concept.
  24. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    Just letting everyone know that my Naruto based RPG called Way of the Ninja is accepting Character Sheets for Academy Students. So if anyone is interested just click the link.:)
  25. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    How much knowledge of the source material is required? I haven't read Naruto since about the time they saved Gaara from Akatsuki (No idea if that's a spoiler or not...).
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.