OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. The Great No One Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    not quite what she was suggesting blu. it was basically what the introductions thread is, which we already have.

:snoopy
  2. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/29709761/p1/?1]The most interesting Sith/Force Using game I have seen in a LONG time.[/link]

-B-
  3. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Made a comment on it. Can't ask players to choose an allegiance and build characters with backstories without telling them what they're joining and why?
  4. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    True. Very true, much is left to speculation.

-B-
  5. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4
    It is an interesting premise. But I think it´s success will depend on the kind of players it attracts. I fear for the game it will get a lot of those RPers who portray power by telling everybody in every post that they know better and the others have understood so little . . .

And it´s hard to have an interesting story with pages of pages of such posts.

That´s the reason why I don´t play Sith.

More than any other game I always felt the Darksider-stories are most defined by their players.
  6. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    He seems competent, though, so I'm sure he'll vet CSes pretty extensively.
  7. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4
    He surely does. And probably my whinning has a little bit overshadowed ym first point.

The premise looks excellent.
  8. NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master

star 5
    I_H Edit: Thats a mild bait. :)
  9. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    I PM'd him, and cleared some stuff up. Nice enough kid.

He's new, so I guess we can't fault him for assuming that, by referring him to the GDG, we were calling him a n00b. We'll see.
  10. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Good lord folks, I haven't seen so much discussion about a user in a long time!

Might I remind people this is an RPG discussion thread, not a GM discussion thread? :)

Danke!

-I_H
  11. NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master

star 5
    [face_plain] In no way, was that a bait. It was a statement.
  12. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    If you'd like to discuss the merits of my edit via PM or IM Nick, just drop me a line. :) I wouldn't worry about it b/c it was, as I stated, only a minor infraction.

-I_H
  13. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    I've been saying that for the past week.

Where have you been?[face_beatup]

-B-
  14. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know if anyone else has seen this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugKqfWq_6u4&feature=channel_page]'trailer'[/link].

The creator of that video intended it as parody, but it's actually a fascinating idea.

If Padme was both the Chancellor and Darth Sidious, then the seduction of Anakin takes on another level of meaning. Palpatine would probably be her apprentice as well as Vice Chancellor. It's a great storyline for an alternative Prequel game...

I'm not sure how to construct the story yet. It needs to end without having strayed too far AU. Obviously Padme being a Sith is about as AU as you can get, but what I love about this idea is that it would mean a very different PT and yet the OT does not necessarily have to change at all.

Perhaps Padme becomes Empress, then gives birth, but it weakens her more than she anticipated. Obi-Wan and Yoda steal the children before Anakin gets there. Palpatine then seizes his chance to assassinate Padme, and blames it on the Jedi. Anakin rushes to confront Obi-Wan, gets injured, etc. We end with Palpatine as the new Emperor, Anakin as Vader. And the OT doesn't change.
  15. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be an what if worth playing, for sure. With the aim to do a new version of the PT. Epic and ambitious, but totally worth doing. :D

16. witchdoctor187 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hey i've been stewing over an idea for a while for a Halo game. and i just wanted your guys opinion to see if the Halo genre has been over-done. from what i have seen of the past RPG's on the Non SW boards it really doesn't seem like a lot have been made, but you guys tell me. This idea started a year or so back when me and Jango10 started collaborating on an idea for a Halo RPG, but he went MIA and i was left wondering on the matter of if i should go forward with it or not.

one of the main features of the RPG would be that the characters would not be fighting the covenant, but in fact this would take place a few years after the Human-Covenant War, with the characters fighting an unknown antagonist and not the Covenant, though some covenant remnants might show up in the story, as well as no Spartans being involved since that has been kinda over-done in my opinion. i'm still working out the kinks in the storyline but i just would like to know if anyone would be interested in playing it or being a co GM with me and brainstorming on the story.

Kinda come up with some names
    Halo: Operation White Horse (don't ask me why but it sounded catchy)
    Halo: Recovery (My favorite personally, just because it fits the storyline)
    Halo: Aftermath

so i would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys could give me. thanks

Doc
  17. LordTroepfchen Jedi Master

star 4
    Endless possibilities. But that would need a really epic scope as a game. I mean . . . redo all three movies? :eek:

Even if I think a redo might be a good thing.[face_peace]

witchdoctor - I hope I could say anything more productive but I think Halo games have been done again and again and even if one sees it a highly entertaining game, it doesn´t necessary make a good RPG.
  18. witchdoctor187 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Thanks for the advice Lord, yeah i thought that it had been over done a bit, and looking at the past RPG's i have seen a trend that they haven't lasted long, most haven't even made it past the 100 post mark. but i don't know maybe if i think it over for a little while longer i can find a way to make it work. thank you :D
  19. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/e5/Padmefull3Foreign.jpg]

I´d say she got a good sithy outfit in her giant wardrobe
  20. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    Oooookay, I've had a bunch of RPG ideas hit me lately so I'm gonna jot them down and see what you guys think on the initial premises.

21. ...And Justice for All - This RPG would center on a group of vigilantes/protectors of the futuristic city of New Haven, where you've got the usual corrupt politicians, cops, etc. running the world. Seeing as how it would be a futuristic RPG, there could be dangerous scientific experiments, robot security personnel, and some other things for the group to deal with. Something to chew on there.

22. Calypso's Raider - This would be a more serious reboot of [link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/28453170/p1/?34]Calypso's Raider - Pirates of the Caribbean.... in SPACE![/link], one of my previous games that fell through rather quickly. I've already got the universe and planets mapped out from the previous effort. The players would basically travel around embarking on missions and assignments for bounty, encountering pretty much anything they would like to see in the game. A lot of potential for plot as well.

23. Citizen Erased - I've gotten a few people hyped up for this one already. It would center around a group of seven people who wake up in a destroyed science laboratory with no memory of who they are or where they come from. They would awake with superhuman capabilities, and have to come to terms with them as well as discovering the locked mysteries hidden away within their pasts.

24. A Noir RPG - This game would take place in the fictional city of Northridge in 1937, where the brutal murder of a famous actor has occurred. The players would each portray characters somehow connected to the actor, be it an estranged lover, a fan, an agent, a rival actor, etc. They would all become entangled in a web of mystery, deceit, and danger, desperately trying to find the truth behind the murder before they meet a similar fate.

25. The Runaways - Okay, I swear I had this idea in mind before Man Cubs. :p This is the most developed idea I have so far, as I've already posted a rough draft in the GDG for examination. It would center around a small group of Jedi padawans on the run from the Empire during the Jedi Purge. I'm hesitant to launch it because of the striking similarities between it and Winged_Jedi's Man Cubs RPG (ie young people lose homes and relatives, have to run from evil empire, deal with severely traumatizing experiences, etc.). This one's pretty much not a question of if I launch it, but when.

26. Vanguard (Working Title) - Set a few years into the future, this RPG would be about a group of Metahumans, people who possess unique genetic compounds within their bodies that signify the presence of extraordinary abilities. They do not know what rests within them, which is why a faction called Vanguard is tracking them and approaching them, attempting to recruit them so that they may use their abilities for the benefit of mankind. Dubya_Scott's recent launch of Secret Warriors would probably delay this game if I were to develop it further.

27. Atlantis - This one would be sort of like the Disney animated movie of the same name, albeit more serious in tone. It would focus on an expedition of people journeying into the ocean and happening upon a lost city beneath the surface of the world, inhabited by a civilization of evolved human beings. They would be permitted to enter this city, only to face all kinds of danger and persecution from the hidden aquatic populace.

28. The Altar of Naught (Working Title) - Another spiritual successor, this one to [link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/24896671/p1/?167]The Altar of Naught: World of Oblivion[/link]. It would feature a cast of people who are the only survivors to the end of the world, a devastating wave that wiped out everything from the surface of the earth. Now, this one could go one of two ways. 1) there are other survivors elsewhere and the players must set out to find them and see if
  29. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    AFaS is gearing up for Part 2...
  30. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    These are the two I like. Both seem to be very creartive and (potentially) new. I guess there has lately been a lot of players who have shown some love ofr the Noir genre, so . . .
  31. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Reynar, I was very tempted to join Calpyso's Raider in its first incarnation, and I like the concept. Very simple and accessible but still quite fresh and new. I felt it also had a perfect mix of planets, easily distinguishable from one another. I'd look forward to seeing you try this one again.

Citizen Erased sounds intriguing. The first five or six pages have the potential to be very strong, as the characters get to grips with their surroundings and their abilities. After that, I assume you have a solid plan for where it will go. Mysteries are hard to maintain in an RPG.

As for The Runaways, don't worry about launching it. I think the similarities to Man Cubs are superficial, and that both games would probably develop along quite separate paths. The differences in era are also quite significant.

32. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I've already expressed my glowing adoration for Citizen Erased, so instead I'll say I think the Noir Game has a lot of potential, especially if the players can nail down the style correctly.
  33. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    ...does ...And Justice For All take place in New Haven, Connecticut?
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.