main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Haha! Yes!

I actually figured the game would center on the various worshippers of the Gods of Urth, rather than on the big dino-beasts themselves...

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    A game set around a Pazaak tournament. Just hit my head. From nowhere . . .

3. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I want to get some feedback on an idea that I have been working on and figured this would be the place to do it. Now that I'm out of school, I figure I'd like to try and get back into the role of a GM. So, here's the idea. It's actually three posts, and there will be little [END OF POST #] breaks at the points in which the posts would end.

Thanks for any feedback.

[i][color=purple]?Many of your fathers and brothers have perished valiantly in the face of a contemptible enemy. We must never forget what the Federation has done to our people! By focusing our anger and sorrow, we are finally in a position where victory is within our grasp, and once again, our nation will flourish. Victory is the greatest tribute we can pay those who sacrifice their lives for us! Rise, Rise! Take your sorrow, and turn it into anger! Zeon thirsts for the strength of its people! SIEG ZEON!!!
    --Admiral Gihren Zabi, eulogy for his slain brother Captain Garma Zabi[/i][/color]
    [hr]

[color=brown] It is the year 0079 of the Universal Century calendar and the Earth Sphere is currently embroiled in the Zeon War of Independence, the conflict that would later be known as the [b]One Year War[/b]. On January 02nd, 0079, the Principality of Zeon declared complete war on the Earth Federation under the pretense of freeing Spacenoids from the persecution given to them by the corrupt and Earth-centric Earth Federation government. Within three seconds of the declaration, the Zeon fleets attacked Federation strongholds at several colonies. This would be the beginning of the One Year War.

One week later, the Zeon forces would attempt to quickly end the war by dropping a space colony on the Federation's Main HQ in Jaburo. This would be known as Operation British and was intended to force the Federation into peace negotiations and secure Spacenoid independence. However, a fierce battle pushed the colony off course, causing it to break up in the atmosphere. The largest piece landed directly upon Sydney, Australia, obliterating the city and causing massive damage to the Earth's climate.

The battle for a quick end to the war was not over, however, as the Principality of Zeon launched an attack at Side 5, known as Loum, in an attempt to secure more colonies for a second Operation British. The Battle of Loum would be the result as the Federation fleet was prepared for the attack. Nuclear Weapons were used by both sides, resulting in almost all colonies at Side 5 being destroyed, the Federation losing 3/4th of its fleet and 2.5 billion civilian casualties. Only the heavily damaged Texas Colony survives, but is inhabitable. It is here where Zeon first deploys Mobile Suits in a combat role and it is also where many Zeon aces such as Char Aznable, Johnny Ridden, and The Black Tri-Stars earn their wings.

Following the Battle of Loum, the Antarctic Treaty prohibits the use of Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons as well as colony drops. This, along with heavy casualties on both sides, produces a stalemate in the war for several months before the emergence of a new team of Federation Soldiers known to the Zeon as ?the Trojan Horse? and the Federation as ?White Base?. Together with their emerging newtype, Amuro Ray, and the White Mobile Suit known as Gundam, White Base begins to turn the tide of war in favor of the Earth Federation, beginning with their leading the assault on Odessa.

With Odessa lost, the Zeon look for any chance to regain dominance on Earth...[/color]

[hr]

[color=darkblue] Welcome to Soldiers of Sorrow, an RPG set in the universe of Mobile Suit Gundam and the One Year War. During the rise of the Gundam, Zeon lost one of its most promising young rulers, Garma Zabi. At his funeral, his brother Gihren, the real man behind Zeon, gave a rousing speech that not only raised the morale of the Zeon troops, but inspired a new wave of recruits from spacenoids throughout the colonies. In the aftermath of Odessa, a new Zeon mobile suit team is formed from these new recruits and veterans alike in order to investigate Federation activity in the Congo reg

4. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It reads good and a lot of love went into it. Obviously. I find it strangely unappealing, though. But that is really my age. I am not the crowd that stuff is made for, I know.

My only idea. Seperate it into two posts. For one this is toooooooo big. It´s scares me off reading it. If you make one for introduction people read it, like it, wanna know more and read the second one automatically.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I believe it breaks into three posts, so that part is already taken care of.

Also, I guess I didn't realize this was age specific. If anything, I'd say Gundam is pretty grown up in comparison to most things RPed around here.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like it.

I like it a lot.[face_love]

Seriously, as a self-described Gundork I have no issues with that OP, and I think it provides a lot of useful information for potential newcomers.

7. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    ~ Tales of the Fringe ~
    The Bounty Hunter Alliance
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/03/Bounty_Hunters_Guild.jpg]

[i][link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYV8X-RX64]Music[/link][/i]

[b]Decoding?[/b]
    [b]...Contacting [/b]
    [b]Buffering...[/b]
    [b][i]?Transmitting?[/i][/b]

[blockquote][I]A greeting, my name is Rayn Boralis. You do not know me, nor should you.

On behalf of my constituents, I would to make you a job offer. My organization has heard much of your reputation in days passed and is intrigued by the potential you have reportedly shown. As such, we think you have the potential to join our ranks and are interested in hearing more about you. We are a small body, but greatly influential within the circles we operate. As such, you would be responsible for a great deal of sensitive operations, but the compensation for your successes will be innumerable. Your past will be wiped clean. Your criminal records will be cleared. You will be a new man, financially and physically secure for the remainder of your living days.

What do we ask in return? Your complete and utter loyalty to the organization and the determination to make sure that any operations placed before you will be returned as a success. This, however, is a subject for discussion at a later date.

In order to proceed, we need to make sure that you are indeed the being we have heard you are and that your reputation is not simply idle gossip. Attached to this message you will find a Holonet transponder code. This signal is only viable for a two hour period starting twelve hours after the time you received this message, so it would behoove you to attach and transmit any relevant documentation that will aide us in our review of you immediately. Also be aware that after the time expires, you will not longer be able to communicate with us via this channel, but that is not a problem. If we feel that you are indeed well-suited for the service of our organization, you will know soon enough.

We will be in contact. [/I][/blockquote]

[b]...End of Transmission[/b]
    [hr]

[u][b]Intelligence[/u][/b]

I would like to personally welcome you to The Bounty Hunter Alliance (BHA). The Alliance has survived for over two millennia, but only recently has it taken on jobs to make them noticed. In recent times, 15 BBY, when the Emperor rose, the BHA was given a distraction. Most of the time, if one did not analyze the details; it would look like a Stromtrooper raid. The BHA was soon swept up by a new criminal on the block. He was named Rayn Boralis. Not much is known about this mysterious figure, no one sees him, hears him, or catches a glimpse of him unless he allows it. Many conspiracy theories have flooded the Alliance, spreading rumors. Nonetheless, the members still work, and accept the pay.

As a member the Bounty Hunter Alliance, your character is expected to follow a certain rules. The Law of the Alliance is a code that has never been written, only spoken and passed down from new recruit to the next. It is reinvented and reshaped, but the meaning always remains. Anyone-or-thing who enters must swear their life to the Alliance. In return; a wholesome reward for every mission, and reputation within the BHA. The code is based on not to betray comrades, allies, or the Alliance. Wonderfully the Alliance has many divisions, packs, and squads. Luckily for you, your character will be placed in a Elite Circle. This only draws to the conclusion that your character is one of the best. Unheard of, these 'Elite' are under the direct order of Rayn Boralis.

[u][b]Rules[/u][/b]

1.) Private Message your Character Sheet to the GM.
    2.) No Godmoding, violators will be removed from the game.
    3.) PG-13 means no F-bombs or over-use of bad language.
    4.) Follow the ToS.
    5.) No One-Sentencers.
    6.) Have Fun!

[u][b]Characters[/u][/b]

In the game I want strictly fringe characters.
    No Sith plotting to destroy the galaxy, or freedom fighter jedi.
    Criminals are what the game is based on and around, keep that

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    A little self-advertisment . . .

For all those interested in pen&paper roleplaying, the Fringe or maybe those who just don´t wanna see any Jedi or Sith for a while when exploring the galaxy . . . I wanted to announce my latest project.
    A game but also an attempt to build a bridge between the Games-forum and the RPF.

The Vulture´s Talon

. . . tells the tale of from the fringer´s point of view and uses the original d6 rules by West End Game to do so.

It will be an action-packed, relaxed and easy going detour from our usual RPF routine and I would be glad to welcome any or all of you to play with us.

-Fin-

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Bugger all, Fins! Now I need to learn d6 :p

10. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    I will certainly join, my friend . . . working on a character concept, NOW :p

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Half of my spots for The Vulture´s Talon are now given away . . . so, if someone wants to joy, he should let me know and I´ll reserve a place. Quite a few guys joining not from the RPF . . . which actually makes me happy. :)

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Bah, I hate that we can't give VIPship to all our GMs too because it would be like a sea of red. That is so unfair. :p

13. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, we don´t have to have our GMs be a lexicon of math and rules to play :p I´ll join later maybe, Fin. Right now I´ll concentrate on my "normal" RPs and try not to get killed by you in any . . . :D

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Oh my dear, that´s the part that is fun :) The Wrath of Math!

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    What's with the anti-math attitude? Math is awesome![face_dancing]

*Cough* *Is a math major* *Cough*

16. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, we should begin using this thread more, I think. Anybody has püotential projects he wanna bring forth? I think in a week or two I´ll like ot hear your guys opinion on my next one . . .

Apocalypse coming our way . . . the silent sneaky kind of apocalypse . . .

17. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    There was a discussion going on over in Jocasta's about what makes games work. Xan was remembering how IBOP used an open-door policy coupled with a ranking system to grow both players and quality.

There is something to be said for running an open-door game that not only welcomes new players but actually helps them improve their RPing without being condescending.

I used to GM a game that took anyone, at any point, no questions asked. There was no pre-defined narrative, no grand story arc and no ending. Any player could direct the flow of events and assume control of unallocated NPCs.

The point was to let new and experienced players interact in a live game to help welcome new players and build experience, confidence and connections to others in the RP community.

There does not seem to be many new players around these days. But I'm sure a game with two GMs - one to run the story and one to work with new players, wherever they're at - could only leave a positive mark in the RPF.

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I think since Mai we had a dozen newbies, of which one or two stayed . . . I don´t know what were the numbers back then, but I really think that is not enough.

Problem is of course . . . people these days are interested in story. Games with Narrative show themselves to be by far more liked than the more open ended. AU Tatooine has somehow combined both pretty well. Without giving you too much story but enough to make you interested. It has also attracted several oldbies, og which not all went there to stay . . .

But it is a concept worth looking at. For now I can only advice all adoptees to send newbies there. It is a perfect playing ground for learning to roleplay.

19. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I think they could do worse than enter the dessert that shall not be named :D

But I also think it will only be a good learning ground when there are enough oldbies around willing to point out mistakes to newbies and help make sure storylines aren't messed up. A messed up storyline plus, if I understood correctly, not understanding what a certain character was capabable of is what made at least two oldbies leave. Which I still find sad, by the way.

With adopted players it's different I guess, because then the ones who have adopted them would keep an eye on their posts and give them advice until they've found their way? Is that how being adopted works?

20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Yes, I think what made people leave AU Tatooine, and I count four experienced players by now (and I think we would not be considered oldbies, by any means :p) is that the concept has NO GM in charge. That´s okay, as Coruscant said it is his idea. It isn´t done as a newbie-training ground. But if there was a GM in charge who actually WOULD show them what godmodding is (like it was done several, several times over there without interference) it could really be the perfect training ground for newbies. Occassional input would probably help, too. For training purpose.

Maybe the mods should consider founding something like this. Or encourage someone to do it, at least. I think we could really, really use it to make this a better board . . . and a more welcoming community.

21. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    No? [face_whistling]

And since I only use the terms I found on this board itself I plead 'not guilty' [face_laugh]

But yes, for a training ground you probably should have a GM taking charge. Because I think that the godmodding here was done out of inexperience and without realizing it even. In such cases it would be great to get some feedback and pointers to avoid it in the future. :)

22. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Fins, to your point about players gravitating towards narrative-driven games:

If a game had a GM to look after the plot and a GM to look after the player engagement (particularly new player engagement) then perhaps the best of both worlds could be combined.

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    to sai you listen. he helped do that in a game, actually. takes a devil of a lot of work though.

24. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    What would people say to a new Harry Potter game? [face_thinking]

25. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I say, "About time."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.