main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Player drought, might get worse as the summer stretches on.

2. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    LW, it sounds like you're buying me a bit more procrastination time on my gods RP with this news.

3. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    I don't know, LightWarden makes a good point that player turnout during the summer months will more than likely be extremely low.

I've been known to disappear for a month or two just during summer vacation.

It doesn't beat my previous absence though.

4. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    If all goes according to plan, I'll be gone pretty sporadically during summer (time to start checking out some colleges), so maybe it's not gonna be the best time to be a GM.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    What was that about a radio station? For which rpg?

And nsper7, I might be interested in taking up a security role. Relatively easy and autonomous position.

6. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well I was thinking of basically having a sort of pool for custom content, which would be pretty interesting. Fake news reports, interviews, weather and traffic, music, silly ads, etc. Not entirely sure what practical function it would serve, unless someone had their character switch on the radio and listen or something. You could always turn it into a broadcasting RPG to keep things interesting if needed.

I also think it might be nice to have an RPG historian or something, though that might be accused of playing favoritism. It's just that there's a bunch of games that people mention for some odd reason, and I'm not sure if I should be reading up on them.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Also, I would love to see an announcer/color commentator in RPGs, but that might require either a little more planning or coordination on the part of the GM if you wanted to do little promos for "Next time on RPG THING". I wonder if there's someone out there with any real knack for this sort of thing? It would be cool if we had a "Voice of the RPF" or something (no, this isn't campaigning).

8. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    LW, sorta like the Holonet News? I'm a bit confused about that idea.

9. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    Yeah, something like the Holonet News. Go ask Kalio_Dynkos about that idea. I really like it a lot, it perfectly gives each RP an even amount of popularity, and it helps to those who don't have the time to delve deeper into the info manually. I'm siding with LightWarden 100%. :D

10. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Do we have a spot for a big book of literary devices, tools, and other writing techniques? Because there are a heck of a lot of fun toys out there. Some of them are overused, some of them are underused, and some of them are misused/misidentified. Learning is fun.

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    big book of literary devices

Do we have a little pamphlet for basic translation of standard Creative Writing terminology, like, what the frag is a 'literary device'?

A biro? A typewriter?

12. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    You don't know what literary devices are? Did you take an English Class? Everyone should know what they are.

13. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I'm going to give you the same advice NP gave me when I thought we needed an alien language resource:

14. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Is anybody interested in an Epic Fantasy game? If so I think that I may have a game that may interest you.

Edge of Oblivion

The Empire of Esrul has stood for 200 years. Under its protective shield humanity has flourished. From the Bloody North where the blood of Giants still govern, through the lush farmlands of the Boon, and the harsh deserts known as the Sea of Sand imperial power has allowed for prosperous trade and unprecedented peace.

All is not well though, as civil war brews. A Sorcerer of unrivaled power has kidnapped the Imperial Princess Shalas III, the sole heir to the Throne, and plans to use her to secure the Dragon throne for himself.

Now her aged father, Toman II, has put an enourmous bounty upon the head of the Sorcerer with an even larger reward for the safe return of his beloved heir.

So it is with the three governors of the Empire preparing for war. That all manner of beings from throughout the kingdom have gathered in Holy Seramoor to begin the hunt for the Traitor and his hostage.

So what do y'all think, any comments would be most appreciated.

15. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I think it needs a bit more information. You mentioned giants. Are they playable? What are they like? Are they the only non-human race? etc. More information about the places would be nice (I like to provide epic fantasy novel-style maps if possible), but to describe the cities you may/may not be starting in.

Basically, if you want an "epic" fantasy, it oughta feel epic, like there's a whole world just waiting for us to PM the CS and take part.

16. HandofSkywalker86

Aug 12, 2004
    Well I made a game on the NSWRP that had all of that in the opening post, it didn't get any response whatsoever. I was just going for a bit of a teaser trailer effect. Not make it too long, perhaps get some people interested. Then after I had their interest, drop the information in.

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Hand OfSkywalker06, personally I think that this might not be the best time to start an Epic Fantasy game. The initial buzz and surge of activity at the NSWRPF has now faded, and a few players seem to be quite busy with RL at the moment anyway. In addition, you've got a few similar games out there already like Ultimate Fantasy, Final Fantasy (and even they're going slow).

18. HandofSkywalker86

Aug 12, 2004
    Point taken.

Yeah that board seems to move at a pretty slow pace. Maybe another time.

19. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Hey, I remember seeing here or somewhere a little while ago that someone put the forth the suggestion that we should create an RP based on the Titanic. I mean, aside from what Hollywood tells us, we know it was a famous and massive vessel which met an untimely demise at an abhorrent cost in lives out in the North Atlantic, but what if we take it a lot deeper.

Really, it would be up to the players to decide their actions and such, but I think we could lay on a good bit of mystery and what have you aboard the grand liner. As diverse as the passenger and crew lists were, there is a very high roleplay value (yes roleplay [face_tongue}).

As to questions of where the game should start, it could be a few days short of the journey or on sailing day at Southampton. This is a wide topic with many possibilities.

Thoughts?

Lem

20. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    Cool. That's all I can say. Ice cool. LOL. I support.

21. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
  22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Titanic sounds good. I would consider playing in that. I have recently been pondering creating a God-modding game. What do you think?

23. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    God Modding's been done before, Mitth started the God Moders' Arena some time ago. It got locked after it descended into flaming and spam I believe. It did reach something like 70 pages if I remember correctly.

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes, I have heard of the God-modders arena. I think that there has to be an outlet (there is a little "god-modder" in all of us). I havn't figured out format or anything like that yet, but I am thinking strongly about it.

25. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    F.E.A.R. may not have won the 2006 Spring Session, but it will never die. It has been progressing well and the posts are growing by the seconds. It won't fail, it will suffice in the RP. It will always and always be # 1. When you go to the Non-Star Wars Role Playing Forum, you'll always see F.E.A.R. at the top, or near. [face_skull]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.