main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WISE_JEDI12

WISE_JEDI12 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    This is an idea I have been toying with for a while it was once my brainchild on a sock when I couldn't get my password back for this account so tell me what you think and what I should change

Deadly Alliance: The Unity of the Force

The Jedi and the Sith are the most Influential in Galactic history, they have shaped all Major Wars. The Clone Wars, and The Galactic Civil War all shaped by the Jedi or The Sith.

So when the Jedi disappear 20 years after the Battle at Endor the Galaxy becomes lost without leaders like the Jedi to follow, and without the aid of the Jedi The New Republic crumbles. So the Hutts begin to pick up pieces of their shattered criminal empires. In doing so they take up the spot of leadership left vacant by the Jedi. Than the Galaxy follows the Hutts and their Empires like civilizations tend to do when lost. They will follow anyone who promises the way out.

But than the Jedi return claiming to have fought off Galactic Invaders known as The Yuuzhan Vong. But they have only about 200 Jedi left, not nearly enough to sway the Galaxy. So discreetly the Jedi kill begin to infiltrate the Hutts and kill off some of the lower ranking Hutts. But the Galaxy catches on and attacks the Jedi, blockading their only Temple on the Dantooine that they rebuilt. Knowing that they stand no chance on their own the Jedi do the unthinkable.

They seek out The Sith. Using their few blockade runners 10 Jedi leave on a mission to the desolate world of Korriban to plead to the Sith for help. The Sith oblige, if only to return the Galaxy to normal once again. So they can take over a stable Galaxy when the time comes. The Jedi are now returning in the Sith?s Star Destroyer to free the Jedi on Dantooine, while they are on there way they are boarded and a fight onboard ensues on the Star Destroyer. While it turns out that the Jedi on Dantooine escaped and fled to Nar Shaddaa where they have begun an underground resistance aided by The New Republic Remnant.

The Factions

OAH- The Official Army of the Hutts is an Army of Bounty Hunters, Mercenaries, Pirates, and even some New Republic soldiers who were forced into service by the Hutts after the takeover.

The New Republic Remnant: The Soldiers who survived the Hutts "cleansing" of the military so everyone could live in "Peace"

The Jedi: Used to be the heros of the Galaxy until they mysteriously disappeared, out of desperation to return the galaxy to its former state of prosperity they have seeken out the Sith to help them in their task and even more mysteriously the Sith agreed.

The Sith: The Sith have grown quietly in the darkness for 20 years waiting for their time to strike and control the galaxy, then the Jedi returned and requested the Sith's help with restoring the Galaxy to its former prosperity, the Sith accepted knowing that it would a perfect time to strike if the Jedi won the war.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If the survival of the planet rests on someone explaining what a 'literary device' is, I'll be sure to point them in your direction, JCM.

3. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    [image=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stebrown/flameon.jpg]

Anyways, you probably already know what a literary device is, but haven't heard them referred to as such. Liteary Devices/Techniques are various tools and such that are used by authors to enhance their works.

A simile would be an example of a literary technique, drawing a comparison using "like" or "as" in order to bring out a trait.

Now before you readers say to yourselves "I know all this", I want to ask you: Do you?

Do you understand, or can you identify and explain the usage/possible effects of the following random selection?

-The Fourth Wall
    -Parallels
    -First Person Narrative
    -Metonomy
    -Deus ex Machina
    -Irony
    -Tragic Figure
    -Satire
    -Tone
    -Personification
    -in medias res
    -Allegory
    -Motif

And there are a great many more. It's through awareness that one expands one's arsenal and better one's writing abilities. Learning is fun. More knowledge is rarely a bad thing.

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How I score (and lovely picture there! [face_laugh]

-The Fourth Wall - Had this explained to me recently, probably by Lightwarden
    -Parallels - I'm sure I use these things.
    -First Person Narrative - Yup
    -Metonomy - Haven't a clue.
    -Deus ex Machina - I think Lightwarden has had to explain this one to me three times. Seems like a waste of Latin personally.
    -Irony - Yup
    -Tragic Figure - Yup
    -Satire - I know what it is, but whether I could write it, or spot it with a microscope is anyone's guess.
    -Tone - I probably know this.
    -Personification - Yup
    -in medias res - No idea.
    -Allegory - I've encountered it, probably used it. Like a simile or comparison, right?
    -Motif - :) Haven't a clue.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I know every single one of those.

Except in medias res. Would anyone be willing to enlighten me? Or will I need to look it up?

6. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Sorry, mispelled the word, it's Metonymy

Anyways, I won't pretend I know all of them at all, let alone well. I'm certain there are some techniques that I have never heard of, let alone used (or perhaps the other way around, as we seem to use devices without needing any sort of technical term. But terms are good for classifying and such). Even among the ones I know, I don't have a particularly good grasp of some of the defter and more subtle applications and definitions, such as the various forms of irony, and differentiating them from what is merely an incongruity. I'm aware of German, and can at times figure out when it's being spoken, but that doesn't mean I understand it very well, or can make fine distinctions. <--This sentence, likening literay devices to languages. Is it an analogy, or an allegory?

This whole idea was brought about by a post in an RPG where the poster proceeded to identify several literary devices in a way which I felt was incorrect. Clearly, one or more of us needed to recalibrate his definitions. No matter which way it winds up going, a thread that collects such things would be useful. Though the problem would be finding credible sources to treat as the base definition. Oh well, at least we'd be bringing up awareness of them, if nothing else. Though Miss Information can be a femme fatale.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    in medias res- "into the middle of things", starting a narrative in the middle of something (often something important), rather than at the logical beginning. For example, you might start the characters off in the middle of a war and intermix flashbacks to explain how they got there, introducing characters, setting and conflict as you go along.

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    such as the various forms of irony, and differentiating them from what is merely an incongruity.

Someone has way too much free-fragging-time on their hands. [face_plain]

9. Notorious_Mastermind

Notorious_Mastermind Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    Just throwing this out there - would anyone be interested in a Tekken RPG?

10. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Howso? Strictly revolving around combat... I think there's a few RPGs like that already, and it seems that Tekken mostly revolves around semi-realistic depections of combat (at least, in comparison to stuff like the campcom series, though Virtua Fighter is even more of a realist) where victory depends on your knowledge of characters, and your reaction times. Which is a bit harder to do in a post-based game. Then you have to worry about attrition, and not wearing down the players by throwing the same situation at them again and again.

Have any ideas as to how this thing will play out?

11. Notorious_Mastermind

Notorious_Mastermind Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    I have a vague idea in mind (wanted to see if anyone was interested before I began), but it does not involve the traditional King of Iron Fist Tournament that has been seen in the last five games. Aside from this, I have only played the third and some of the fourth installment of the series, so my knowledge of the overall Mishima/Kazama storyline is little to none.

By not involving the KoIFT, it would not make sense to just stick another tournament in there and have players duke it out in repetitive combats, right? I have a variety of missions that will be bestowed onto the player, which will then ignite interactions with others (may involve the Mishima Zaibatsu). Some missions may be short, and some may be long, but all will be tied together into one big story, which has yet to be constructed.

I have not yet decided whether players would be allowed to control classic Tekken characters such as Paul Phoenix, Jin Kazama, Nina Williams, etc. due to my lack of knowledge pertaining to the overall story of the fighters. The alternative, obviously, would be to have players create their own fighters and try to make them as memorable as the classics so they would not be missed.

Again, this is merely a rough outline of what to expect. I have not started on the specifics of it, albeit I will soon once I get the time. Any ideas? Suggestions? Let me hear 'em! :)

Also, if this is to become veritable, I may be looking for a co-GM. Toss me a PM if you're interested. :)

12. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Ok, now I've recently had an idea for a really epic AU Clone War RPG...now before you all boo me hear me out:

I'm not sure of a name yet, but that can come later.

The game would start out about a year and a half to two years into the Clone Wars, when most tech was in full use by both sides.

Now, the Separatists have just been crippled by the GAR and are on the verge of collapse, and the Republic senate is in session one day on Coruscant when a rogue militant group detonates a baradium bomb beneath the building. Most senators are present as are Palpatine, his staff, and his higher-ups. Everyone is killed and the entire senate is razed in the blast.

The Jedi, the only authoritative body still intact, attempts to hold the Republic together. Mind you, this is at a time when anti-Jedi sentiment is running quite high, mainly because they are seen as the instigators of the war, being generals and all, and the citizens as well as many public speakers begin to pin the senate's destruction on the Jedi in some wild plot to control the Republic for themselves.

These words take awful effect when, after the decentralized Republic descends deeper and deeper into chaos as the intact Separatists begin capturing Republic member worlds and defeating hapless armies, Jedi across the galaxy are murdered and an angry mob of thousands storms the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, killing a few and forcing the Jedi to flee.

After sending messages to all their number, the Jedi retreat from the public eye into a shadow existance as they rally and organize themselves to continue their duties in a transient manner, not staying in one place too long.

Meanwhile, rogue Jedi, refusing to obey the orders of the Council, have siezed control of their clone armies and continue to wage war across the length and breadth of the galaxy, organizing their own small segments of "their" Republic as they go. But it is not only these Jedi who are responsible for warlordism, most former Republic governors have declared others traitors and are working to create their own warlord nations among the stars. In-fighting is occuring everywhere.

All the while, the previously-crippled Separatists have licked their wounds and, at the leadership of Count Dooku and a new wave of Dark Acolytes, seated themselves as the dominant ruling body in the galaxy. Their massive droid armies and armadas stalk the Republic Remnant forces everywhere in their attempt to knock them out before they have a chance to reorganize a senate - if they ever do. Also, knowing that the Jedi have been sighted since their disappearance and that they are lurking amongst the stars, Dooku sends thousands of bounty hunters and assasin droids to begin the arduous task of eliminating the Jedi one by one in the Separatists' bid for uncontested supremacy.

[hr]

Well, there you have it, a long but detailed state of the galaxy for this possible RP. Thank you for taking the time to read it, first off. Next, I intended the format to be PC's in control of their characters, while the GM posts updates in the form of intelligence documents, NPC's, and news reports, which would give the location and status of the different warlord groups, Sep armies, Jedi cells, bounty hunter groups, and so on.

Anyway, it has the potential to be massive. Please give me feedback.

Lem

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I got this one from an old Game Informer:

Deus ex Machina- God of (from?) the Machine.

basically, in Greek drama they would have an actor representing a god who would present the solution to the story.

Similarily, in writing, the term has come to refer to any time the day is saved by an unexpected hero. In Jedi Outcast, it could be considered a Deus ex Machina when Kyle's on the Doomgiver and Luke hops down from somewhere and helps him whoop Remnant butt.

Notorious, if it's not gonna be KOIFT, and you're not sure about the overall Tekken story, why make it a Tekken RP at all? Why not create your own universe roughly based on the fighting game universes? It couldn't be too tough. Using Tekken as a template, whip up something similar, but different enough.

For example, you need a common goal. Something that every character would be fighting to obtain (of course, with their own reasons), like Soul Edge in the Soul Calibur series. Then you need a plot element to keep it organized because I don't think anyone would wanna try and read multiple fights at one time. That would likely be the tournament setting (perhaps some entrepeneur with a bloodlust has this item that everyone wants and will give it to the winner of his crazy tournament).

The trick would be limiting the actual combat. If, for the sake of the GM's sanity, you will only have one battle at a time, you can't expect the battles to last for weeks. I would say maybe after three posts by each combatant in a particular round or three days, whichever comes first, the GM decides the winner (making it GM responsibility will make it easier to keep the battles flowing). Then you announce the next matchup and give a couple days interaction time for everyone (because characterization is important for any RP) before starting the next fight.

That's all I got for now. Best of luck to you, Notorious.

14. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I hope that wasn't meant to be sarcastic...because I'll make you eat those words back.[face_skull]

15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    [image=http://www.starfish.govt.nz/shared-graphics-for-download/trolling.jpg]

16. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    O....k. We're supposed to be talking about RPGs here not posting unecessary pictures, mind you.o_O

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] If I'm right, JCM, the picture refers to you baiting me. If I'm right, that is. EDIT: Oh hang on; no, I AM wrong. The picture has the word 'trolling' in the bottom right hand corner. I think LW is suggesting something...

Blemelisk, an excellent intro' post. Like it.

JCM, of course I was being sarcastic. If someone professes not to know something, I attempt to help them out.
    Your tactic of simply haranguing me and suggesting that the rest of the English Speaking World knows what a 'literary device' is, is remarkably unhelpful.

18. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    I'm just stating facts, because people who go to school must know what a Literary Device is. You probably don't live in the United States in America. Things are different here than in other places in the world. And when people go to school here, we are taught these things. So helpful or not, people still have to know what that means, unless they dropped out of school at an early age.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Or left school twenty odd years ago. There must be some things you learned at Elementary School that you have forgotten. Such as, it is called, the United States of America.

20. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    Simple mistakes. Everyone isn't perfect, I'm not asking for perfection. And that American thing, typo error. I was typing too fast because I'm getting ticked. So let it go and move on. Literay devices should be implaneted in everyone's brain. I read books, I've seen things, I've spent enough time here to know what it is. If you'd place yourself in my position, you wouldn't be asking stupid questions.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  22. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
  23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Technically, wouldn't United States in America work too? I mean, they are located in the continent of North America.

Moving on, seeing how my Musical RPG has died from lack of interest, I'm going to be making a new RPG. Something a little easier, such as government conspiracies, cloning, and people with guns.

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    That is always popular. Just add guns into it and people will come.

Although I must say, I am sad to see your music RP go. But that means the GDG can now put it on the disection table and figure out why it died! :p

25. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    It died because you drink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.