main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Welcome to the RolePlaying Forum Community Center!

This is the place for you to come and listen to other people share ideas for possible RPG storylines, ask for assistance in their on-going RPGs, and even ask to join an RPG you may be needing players on!

Or better yet, YOU can share your own personal ideas you have about a new RPG.

Your peers can help you get started off with an RPG if you are new to roleplaying. You can recieve constructive criticism, that can better the RP you will be posting in several days time. You can even start a new RPG with fellow RPers you might meet here!

All of this you can achieve, while at the same time cleaning up our lovely forum from the hordes of RPG threads that have been started without proper guidance thus having led to its demise.

So if you have an idea you'd like to share or give away, please feel free to express it. If you're looking for a specific RP to join, just ask around. If you're a GameMaster and you'd like some more players in your RPG, state it here.

As a community, we'll always be willing to lend a hand :) Thanks for dropping by!

RULES:
    1) Absolutely no insulting or making fun of a person based on an idea that they may present.
    2) Criticism must be constructive. (NOTE: If you do not like constructive criticism, please do not ask for it.)
    3) All other Forum rules apply
    4) HAVE FUN! If you find yourselves too caught up in the RP discussions, take a break. Joke around, etc. Always remember that this is all for fun :)

2. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Ok I am currently thinking of opening a new RPG but I want to know what you people want like:

When it is set:

The Villian:

What Factions:

If Jedis and Sith should be in it:

And just tell me other stuff you would like in the RPG I'm making.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I have been considering to create an RP where the players must find, apprehend, and defeat a master thief. I've been wanting to put my master thief character to some good use besides in a story that I'll be writing him in.

Basically the players are all detectives fresh out of the Imperial Galactic Justice Department Academy and they all have been assigned individually to investigate into mysterious robberies committed across the Galaxy.

The contest is to be the first detective to find and capture Thomas Core. Players won't be restricted from banging heads together to catch Core. Each case will tie in together so I might end up having the players working as a team near the end. But its up to them if they want to stick together.

Timeline: 1yr AANH
    # of Players: 6
    RP Style: See "Glory to Yun Yammka"

I only have the idea right now and if anyone wants to help develop it, I will appreciate it.

I won't start the RP until I'm half way finished with Mission 1 in GtYY.

4. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I have one similar to that, already on page 12. But, instead of a theif, the person Jedi players are hunting down is an assassin with plans to rule the planetary system. The players are required to act as detectives, but a few have dropped out.

If anybody wants to join, a ship is taking more Jedi to Madrine. Feel free to join up. I could use more RPers. Just post your bio and put yourself on the ship heading to Madrine.

Also, please read the very first post, and agree to the terms and rules. The only type this one has that most RPs don't is let me know if you want out. Three have already broken that rule and left without telling me anything.

I could use you in my thread. Thankyou.

5. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    Alright this is a good start. :)

JFettG, you really haven't given me anything to go by. Do you have any conceptual ideas for your RPG? Something like huge galactic wars or small inter-system skirmishes or etc? But personally, I think Force-using RPGs are getting alittle too common right now.

I don't know, I have never seen an RP from soley the Yuuzhan Vong point of view. I'd probably be interested in that :)

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Ben- Your wish has been granted Glory to Yun-Yammka is solely a Yuuzhan Vong RP and the ONLY Yuzzie RP available at this time.

7. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Hmmm... but for how long? That is the question, my dear Mitthy...

*procedes to post 15 Yuuzhan Vong RP's simultaneously*

8. Queen_Sara

Queen_Sara Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    My RPG is seriously in need of players. Does anybody want to join up? It's freefrom, and set 150 years after ROTJ.

:) ~*^SARA^*~ :)

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I dont think this thread was intentionally meant to advertise current existing RPs. It was to help share RP ideas and create a future RP.

Right Ben?

Anyway, if you want to advertise go to RPF Introduction Services linked at the top of the forum. Be sure to read the first post there.

10. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    If you're a GameMaster and you'd like some more players in your RPG, state it here.

This will be a good thread for the RPF in my view, as long as DA doesn't lock it. I would probably join that game that you described CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, it sounds interesting.

11. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    Well this thread should act as the Writers Resource Forum for FanFic but in the RolePlaying perspective.

If you, as a gamemaster, need more players for your RPG, I dont see why you can't state it here. BUT, Mitth has a point in which I forgot to mention in the first post. If you're going to post here soley to advertise your RPG, please move to the RPF Intro Service. We're here to act as a community of RPers and not some salesmen trying to sale a product. In other words, we're here to help each other out and make RPing at the JC a more pleasurable experience..

So please, try to cut back on promoting of threads...

btw, i never knew there was a thread like the RPF Intro Service. I assumed it was a thread for beginners when i read it at the top [face_blush] :)

12. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I wanna make one about SHOCKBALL!!!!

So no one steal my idea, join later ayt?

13. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    shockball? im guessing its a sport? whats it gonna be about?

14. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    What type of RPG are most people interested in? Is it the most complex yet the easiest to play? Or the most involved which requires lots of thinking? Or story type ones that are almost like a fan fic?

What is the Ultimate Star Wars RPG?

15. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    To me the ultimate Star Wars RP is one that has a little of all those things you posted.

16. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    In my opinion, the ultimate, ultimate element in a Star Wars RPG is storyline. If you've got a skilled GM that can weave a great storyline, the game will be awesome. Even if you have a couple people who aren't so good at roleplaying, or are new. Not that storyline is the only key element, and even if you do have a good storyline there are things that can bring an RPG down, but to me, it's the most important part.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Character interaction type RPs.

Im not that fond of huge space and ground battles and I like to have RPs with a background for the players to play off of.

18. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    Storyline, for me, is a key factor in making an RP great. Without an original story, the RP usually will bore out for me pretty quickly. And like Mitth said, character interaction makes the RP a lot of fun. If its just huge battles and no real interaction between the players, that too will make it boring for me, although I dont mind huge battles.. [face_mischief]

19. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    Interesting opinions. I am sure that GMs could make use of them to create better games and give the RPers more enjoyment :D

20. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    I have an idea for planet-based RPG.

I need some input as to which scenario you guys would think would be best.

Scenario 1:
    It is ten years after Yuuzhan Vong invasion. In the end, the New Republic-Empire coalition was victorious, but at a great cost. Many times many worlds were devastated, never able to support sentient life. The leaders of what was left of the Republic and Empire began to colonise uninhabited worlds in the Unknown Regions. One such ship, the Aldermann, was on it's way to a system designated SEC290-SYS480-PLA4, when hidden Yuuzhan Vong saboteurs (There are still many left in the galaxy) stirred up inter-species rivalries onboard to the breaking point. When the Aldermann entered the SEC29-SYS480-PLA4 system, they caused a catastrophic meltdown of the ship's power core forcing the ship's occupants to escape in the colony pods. Each race thought the others caused the destruction of the Aldermann and do not trust each other. Unbeknownst to everyone, a substantial amount of the colonists were Yuuzhan Vong in disguise.

You have the choice of being the leader of one of the following factions:

Duros
    Ho'din
    Aqualish
    Falleen
    Hutts
    Bimms
    Humans
    Yuuzhan Vong

Make your choice, there will be only one dominant species and you have just made Planetfall!

+ In this scenario, you will have minimal resources and technology. You'll have to research tech to gain advantages over the other factions and the planet's strange ecology.

Scenario 2:
    During the great war against the Yuuzhan Vong, the New Republic has sent out several sublight colony ships in an effort to avoid the Yuuzhan Vong and to provide some hope for the galaxy. After 50 years, one ship theMartyr has arrived at it's destination. The Colony ship has positioned itself in geo-stationary orbit and dropped down and tethered the extremely strong space elevator cable and has begun the process of unloading the Martyr. The Martyr's senior officers have been alocated land for themselves and thier followers on the virtualy inhospitable planet, still in it's evolutionary infancy.

+In this scenarion you will have to work with and against the planet's ecology and deal with your neighbours trying to usurp you land. On board the Martyr, there are cloning facilities and databanks of gentetic information from the ships crew and various plant and animals species that the New Republic deemed nessesary for the safe colonisation of the world. There will be about a dozen factions and someone controlling the Martyr

Suggestions anyone?

21. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    I personally think that Scenario 1 has a much more interesting plotline and in which more can come out of. The 2nd scenario seems the story won't go anywhere anytime soon. Plus it doesn't seem to involve much action against other beings and instead focuses a lot of its attention on the forces of nature. This can also prevent a lot of the character interaction to take place since most of the characters are interacting with nature..

So IMHO, from what I've read here, I like Scenario 1 better. :)

22. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Scenario One sounds interesting... reminds me of Galactic Battlegrounds or Alpha Centauri. Only thing I can think of is reducing the number of factions. I'd take away the Ho'Din and Bimms first, and then I think you have a feasible amount until it gets more popular.

23. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I like Scenario 1 better. It will force players to fight battles that do not have fleets of warships and teach them to rely on other ways of combat. Of course building up the planet and factions sound fun.

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I'd also give a random number of how many each race has on this colony. It would avoid having players claim they have 1 million of Humans. Know what I mean?

25. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Yomin, I did get the idea from Alpha Centauri. :p

Mitth, thats what I was planning. There'd be only at least about 1-2 thousand colonists.

Also, I'm not sure weather or not his game should have a GM. If there was one, I would not like to be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.