main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    All games should have a GM. Or else who would solve problems and whatnot? If you really don't want to be it, appoint someone else. Or you can appoint someone as a joint GM so you don't have to carry the burden alone.. :)

2. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I think a lot of people don't realise what it takes to be a good GM. Many believe that it is the best position available and it is similar to being an Administrator on the boards. The problem is however with both being a GM or Admin is that the job is not easy and it takes a lot of time and dedication.

As a GM you have to be creative, you have to develop interesting plot lines and challenges for your participants or they will leave. You have to allow them the chance to have fun. Doing so requires that you treat everyone equally- from those players who are new and inexperienced to those that are more experienced and you may find yourself enjoying watching player's own creativity and ability to solve the problems and challenges you put before them.

I think finding a GM to help you is not that difficult a task but finding a good GM is a difficult task indeed. ;)

3. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    I understand and totally agree. But I'm sure there are some capable RPers around that'd be ok with the position of GM :)

4. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    That's the reason I don't start RP's of my own. It's hard work and requires a lot of dedication. I don't take the position of GM lightly.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    And a GM that does not allow his/her position as GM influence their RPing. Such as in the "What If? RP" where Goo_Child kept insisting on trying to take over the Executor even though his characters should have died in the first few minutes inside a depressurized area. I was willing to let his characters escape the ship and retry later for the sake of the RP since my move would have killed off his entire faction and leaders and thus ended the RP.

I destroyed the Executor in the end and left the RP in frustration and disappointment, I returned to check to see how he responded. Well, he pretty much nulified my post and continues to try and take over the Executor after calling me being selfish because I refused to let him take the Executor and fought his every move.

People like that shouldn't be Game Masters.

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Amen to that brother! :p

Great idea here Ben, it might even be worthy of a link in our humble forums header. (nudge, nudge DA....)

7. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Just as long as we keep discussing RPing issues, problems and solutions I think everyone will find the Forum a better place :D

It's good to hear players having similar opinions and observations too... good to get things out in the open ;)

8. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    Thanks PoT. Kuedos to the Writers Resource Forum ;) :)

And if everyone visited and contributed to this thread, I think that the RPF can really solve many of the problems it has like spam threads or RPs that have some 3 members and that die out in one day. Hopefully more of the newbies will come into this thread and use it constructively :)

9. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Try to garner support for your RP before making it. PM people you know about it before posting it, and ask them if they have any interest. Most new RP's die within a few days of posting, if they don't have support. There are very few RP's that last longer than a few days. The few that do are ones that had an appeal to people when created, and filled a new niche in the RPF.

10. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Apart from problems with the RPF's threads that now seem to be getting solved thanks to the limit on new RPG's what other problems are there?

I am referring to the actual RPGs. Is there a shortage of players? Are players acting indestructable? Are players ignoring Gms and getting out of control?

(I'm just trying to get the opinions of players and GMs so be honest and state what you've been observing) ;)

11. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    I personally think it's a shortage of players. Almost every RP I take a peek in, has people from 2-3 other RPGs in the Forum. Would anyone know any ways to solve that problem?

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I've noticed a similar situation...

I think "The RPF Introduction Service ~ Making Connections Happen" thread is one of the best solutions to solve that problem but it seems to drift away... Can it be moved like the other announcement thread...?

The only other solution I can think of at the moment is for players to communicate to eachother which RPGs are good and most likeable and hopefully make them prosper while the games that have little control and direction would not take players that could have more fun elsewhere...

13. lordcody

lordcody Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2002
    hey could some pelple join 10 years after vong are defited??cuz they need more people

14. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    Advertising is not allowed on these boards. Go to the RPF Inroductory Service thread. There is a link at the top of the page.

15. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Hey guys, just a thought on this thread and the RPF Introduction Service.

Basically, when tied in with DA's little foray into the world of "sticky threads", we really do have an untapped mechanism here for - as some others have alluded to - keeping this forum clean, running smoothly, and the envy of all other little mods and their fiefdoms.

Issues and ideas are brought up here by either DA (Our benevolent Mod) or users from the RPF public, and discussed, debated, pulled to pieces and examined. Once a general consensus has been reached (by vote or otherwise) such as the idea above of only starting a new thread after garnering together a support base, DA can post the findings in his Administration announcement thread, therefore making them gospel in these parts.

If we refrain from posting ourselves in the sticky thread, it can be kept down to simple announcements from DA that the newbies around here can and hopefully will read, keeping them up to date with the rules and accepted code of conduct in the RPF.

Barring the erratic and erroneous habit of humanity to screw things up, this system could greatly enhance not only the quality of RPs, but also the number of people we have participating in each one.

Just a thought. Keep up the discussion!!

16. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    PoT= teh smart... or something

*points at icon
    [face_love]

17. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Yommie's New RP!

Category: WOTG-esque
    Time Frame: Starting during the Battle of Hoth, (when Vader's fleet enters the Hoth system)
    Factions: Rebel Alliance, Galactic Empire

Basically, this is WOTG without the Yuuzhan Vong, and possibly with characters from the movies and EU being playable.

Any help in fleshing everything out would be appreciated...

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Hopefully I am not breaking any rules here, but I want to just give a few pointers for RPGs:

From experience, the larger the game is, the less fun you will have. If you do have fun in a larger game, which I did at first with WOTG I and WOTG II, then the GM's are doing a great job and the players are getting along and not doing things that only a few people can understand. Smaller games, like The Star Wars RPG and The new DARK TIMES (35 years after ANH) are most of the time funner because players are not playing to beat the crap out of each other with larger ships and bio weapons, they are there to just have fun. The smaller games are more open and allow the players and Game Master to create new plots without the fear of destroying the whole RPG, which may happen with larger RPGs like WOTG. Even smaller RPGs, like The New and Improved Tactical Question Thread, allow players the freedom to post when they have time and it brings a family enivoment that you don't find in larger RPGs like WOTG. Smaller games over all offer the family enivoment, creative mind, all around fun, relaxed RPGs. Larger games such as WOTG offer a more beat the crap out of you with larger this and better that, time consuming (about 1-2 hours a night for an active player), personal life messer upper (takes away from family time, homework, friends, etc.), larger space/ground battles (expect Endor and Hoth type battles every 2-3 weeks, Endor type battles happen almost every week), mind crunching (makes you think of tactics and explore science and medic stuff to find the cure for a simple bio weapon or to just beat an enemy in a space or ground battle), headace forming (going over tactics and mission plans for at least 10 minutes to an hour a night or week), Star Wars distorted (bio weapons every other month, ships that can't be build by SW and basic rules of life (sicence etc.), and politics that play no role in the game, example, GE can take out a whole world, two whole worlds with bio weapons, and still have tons of people who still think the Rebel Alliance is all evil), back stabbing (alliances change over night and players use PM as a trick to get you into a trap), and very hard RPG (for more veteran RPers). All these things I just listed for the smaller and larger RPGs have all happened to me. My over all suggestion is, inless you are a veteran RPer like Yomin_Carr, Warlord_Ken, Wildwookiee, and or Protege-of-Thrawn, play a smaller game and have more fun with Star Wars.

19. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Me! A veteran RPer? I think you overestimate me...

Btw, I can sum up that post for anyone who doesn't want to read it all: WOTG=crap, Small RP's= teh cool.

20. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Me! A veteran RPer? I think you overestimate me...

Overestimate? No...never. You only tried to kill me in WOTG II, WOTG III, and WOTG IV, that makes three times:

1) Little wanna-be lost Rebel pilot
    2) Your so called "friend" who really turned out to just be you in a sock, well two socks
    3) The droids going crazy every where

I tell you, you must have a poster in your room that reads:

DESTROY BRAVO! DESTROY BRAVO! DESTROY BRAVO!

8-}

21. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Hmmm? I only tried (directly) to kill you once. I'm not sure what you're referring to in your second point, and the last one was a gun pointed at everyone using blasted infidel technology.

22. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    I agree about some of Bravo's points. BUt I don't agree with most.

I like the WOTG because it makes me think about what to do. I need to develop tactics to win and it is a challenge. I love a good challenge. And it doesnt suck your life away if you have self-control which I knda have.

The WOTG if you chose to believe or not is the flagship RPG of the RPF.

23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I didn't say I didn't like larger games, but for me, they weren't very user friendly. Granted, esp. with WOTG I and WOTG II, I had a load of fun, which is why I kept playing.

24. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I think the key to a good RPG, along with a fair GM is lots of players. I know that individual RPG's are having a shortage in this department however there seem to be a lot of games that have been created and a lot of different people in each game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this means that most RPGs have only a handful of players who play in only one or two RPgs. There is a shortage of players in RPGs but not a shortage of overall players.

Would it be possible to gather these players into a few threads instaed of many? That way there will be less RPGs with more players in them, instaed of many RPGs (redundant in some cases) with a shortage of players.

I think it would be better but I want to see what other people think...

25. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I take it that the silent answer means it was a bad idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.