main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

And here it is!

The Steam Chronicles

It is the early 1800?s. But not that we know of. No, this is a world of steam and clockwork, airships and submersibles, Victorian and Modern. Queen Victoria sits on the English Throne, and London, the veritable ?Centre of the Modern World?, is advancing readily. Great structures tower above the Thames, and Zeppelins, Blimps, and all manner of other airships - Ornithopters, Bi-planes, and Gyrocopters - fly higher above them.

On the ground, steam and clockwork rule the open roads, though their number and the population prevent it being too ?open?. And it is here that the crime begins. Pickpockets run amock, and murder happens every so often. But this is no tale of crime and punishment! This is grand adventure, a tale of people amongst the hustle and bustle of an expanding world.

These are the Steam Chronicles.

Excerpt from the Daily Mail, Sunday March 4th, 1829 AD

London is buzzing with news that the famous adventurer Quincy P. Shackleford is about to embark on a new journey. Recently, Shackleford came into possssion of an ancient map that tells of a hidden island, supposedly the final resting place of Mayan gold. It lies to the far south of the Colonies, near Chile, and the esteemed Mr. Shackleford is reportedly assembling an expedition to find said treasure.

Excerpt from Quincy P. Shackleford?s Journal, Monday March 5th, 1829 AD

It was with great interest I read the article in the Mail yesterday, and was quite angered to find that it wrote of the expedition as though it were a mere treasure-hunt. I promptly wrote to the Mail, detailing the finer points of the journey. We plan to bring back specimens of flora and fauna, perhaps some ancient artifacts, too. I suppose, then, that this is a treasure-hunt, though more attuned to the scientific than the financial. We embark on Thursday, as per the Norse customs. The Hammer of the Gods shall drive our ships to new lands!

This is a Steampunk RPG. For those of you not familiar with the genre, it involves Victorian settings and characters with technology powered mainly by Steam and Clockwork. Examples of the Genre include: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy, Van Helsing, Sleepy Hollow, and many more. An excellent source on the genre is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

As to characters, you are a member of Shackleford?s expedition. Are you a scientist, archaeologist, botanist, treasure hunter, indentured servant or rich patron? Perhaps even a stowaway... The possibilities are boundless.

It is also possible to be a native of the island, though you?d have to PM for extra-special permission!

RULES:

-PM all character sheets to the GM(s)
    -GM?s word is law
    -No God-moding
    -Respect other players
    -Obey the Terms of Service
    -Have fun

Try to write well, please. Spelling mistakes can seriously detract from the fun.

Character Sheets

Name:
    Appearance
    -Eyes:
    -Hair:
    -Build:
    -Clothes:
    Personality
    -Habits:
    Inventory
    -Weapons:
    -Equipment:
    Job:
    Bio:

Note: If anyone is interested in being a Sub-GM, then please, by all means, PM me.

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    [image=http://ge.swsimulation.com/intelligence/images/Analysis_small.jpg]

Official I_H RPG Review: The Steam Chronicles

Idea: Excellent

Seems like a pretty fun idea. Its definitely unique, that is, its something I've never heard of until just right now. I mean, I always knew of Verne, but to make an RPG about that era is very creative. Lots of ground for you to work within.... perhaps specify how loose your playing it.... that is: how much fantasy is being alotted.

Plot: Good

A treasure hunt is always a good backdrop for an RPG, and one that has had very little spotlight at least since 04. The structure keeps folks together, ensures interaction, and gives the game a focus.

Mechanics: Moderate

Some thought should be given to the more external aspects of running the game. This is just stuff a GM should keep in mind, and it mostly ensures timeframes. So, I assume you would probably start off in London. How would you then account for the sea-journey to the island? Would it be given full length? If it does, it runs a dangerous risk of atrophy. Would it be given a time twist to truncate/eliminate it? You run the risk of skipping too much time so players feel uneasy. Time twisting also brings an element of instability to the game. How much time would you spend in each place. Its all just stuff to get hammered out before you get a going...

Player Interface: Good

Your sheet is fine and you leave alot of room for creativity on their part. PM the GM ensures quality and your Idea works in tandem with interface to open the genera up to almost anything

Overall: Good

This RPG seems to have promise. Probably would join it, or lurk and then join depending on who all signs up. Your idea and internal mechanisms are great, just make sure you have your external mechanisms all lined up in a row.

-I_H

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Thank you for the kind words! I know, mechanics always seem to be the problem. I'm glad you like the concept so much, and I really hope that you'll take a look at it.

I've dubbed "Chronicles" so that I can explore other stories, so if treasure hunting isn't your thing, then maybe gaslight mysteries are. I'm thinking of follow-up stories right now, in fact.

4. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    RPGs FOR SALE!

I'm going to do something a little different. I have a few ideas for games. But they're not for me. They're for other people to take up. I'm not really into that whole GMing lark myself. However, I know there are GMs out there who can use the following ideas and improve upon them and hopefully make them into good games. So here you go. If you like them, please do use them, because I'm not going to. Though I would ask that you PM me if you would like to use one, simply so I know. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I do apologise if any of these ideas have already been thought up by someone else previously. I honestly don't believe they have, but if I'm wrong, sorry.

Star Wars: Gladiator

In this game, characters participate as gladiators in the Arena (of whatever backwater planet the GM cares to use).

Some fights will be to the death, except for Player vs Player ones (except in rare and exceptional circumstances). Some fights will be re-enactments of famous battles, such as the Battle of Geonosis. Other fights will be against beasts and animals rather than other sentients. Sometimes the enemies will be prisoners who have been sent for execution (maybe a few canon characters could be thrown into the Arena). Some fights will be unique challenges (i.e. killing a captured Jedi). Success on the sands will bring fame, luxuries and ever more dangerous opponents.

Outside the Arena, gladiators are encouraged to interact with each other, perhaps engage in dealings with the local gamblers and Hutts (for example, taking a dive in exchange for money, and so on). A major sub-plot could involve the gladiators planning to break free, and then trying to escape off planet. It's up to the players. In some ways, this game might work like Imperial_Hammer's brilliant Podracing RPG, with betting and odds and such.

Core News Network: It's All About the Scoop

The idea here is pretty simple. You work for the Core News Network (CNN). Start as a low level rookie reporter, work your way up to becoming one of the most famous faces on the Holonet. At first you'll get assigned to simple human interest stories here and there across the galaxy. Once you've worked for a while, you'll get to choose where you go, and what you do. Will you check out the uprising on Iridonia? Maybe you'll go for that interview with the Hutt Crimelord on Nar Shaddaa? Or perhaps you'll opt for coverage of the political race on Corulag? Will you be a tool for government propaganda? Or will you try your best to provide unbiased, objective journalism? The choice is yours.

To add another factor to the game, players could work for rival stations instead of simply the same one, and could compete to provide the best coverage of a particular story.

The Age of Watchmen

It is the golden age of the Jedi Order. A hundred honourable and respected Jedi Knights and Masters have been chosen to become the first ranks of the Jedi Watchmen, protectors for individual sectors and regions of the galaxy. Each Watchman is assigned their own sector, planet, region (this will be decided by each player in his/her character sheet).

Each sector has its own problems and needs. When the game begins, each player will be PMed a list of issues that have been brought to their attention by the citizens of their Sector. The list will be far longer than they can deal with, and they will have to choose what sounds appropriate. These issues could be anything from 'Prime Minister requests a meeting' to 'Local merchants complain about pirate raids' to 'Anti-Jedi extremists say they'll kill you if you don't leave the area'.

What each Watchman decides to deal with, and how they deal with it, will directly affect the region. If you decide to ignore local tensions and problems, you might end up with a planet-wide conflict on your hands. However, you must know when to pull back and keep your distance- you're there to protect, not to rule. Though that doesn't mean you can't rule if you really wanted to...a

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Winged, I'm gonna have to PM you a few ideas... [face_mischief]

..that smiley is mischief, by the way.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Confound it Winged!

Brilliant Idea, and you beat me to it... ;)

*Debates putting my stuff up for sale*

Nah. :p

But bravo Winged, and fabulous ideas.. :)

7. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Advertisement:

Somewhere in the inner rim, an Imperial destroyer captain has just made a fateful decision: the Midnight Ghost is heading south. The Alliance wants her. The Empire wants her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on....

From the creator of the sleeper hit RPG, "Operation Overlord", comes "The Hunt for Midnight Ghost"!

Check it out!

8. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Winged_Jedi I would definately be interested in Lifestream of Souls. :)

9. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I don't know if I post this here since its about the new forum, but someone should really do some of these RP's:

Twisted Metal-Great video game that I loved to play when I was like 10. Warped my mind into the crazed lunatic I am today. I don't know how the touraments would work, but it would be a fun RP.

Mortal Kombat-Exact same reason as the first one.

The Sims- I dunno, this one might be boring, but if pulled off right, it could be cool.

Grand Theft Auto- See this from me in the future.

James Bond- This would definitly be a great game. But since James Bond is THE ULTIMATE GOD MODDER in the movies, whoever gets him would be able to pull off anything.

Law & Order- Would need some great GM'ing and storylining (Yea I made it up, what you gonna do about it?) Could be fun if pulled off.

Mafia- A cool crime family RP could be great fun.

Scarface- Maybe a Tony survived and vows revenge type thing?

So if anyone would consider doing any of these, please shoot me a PM. If one's in the works, PM me.

10. Master_Valar

Master_Valar Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2005
    Check out my newly posted RPG!

Galactic Outlaws- (Star Wars? Wild West Style)

http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/23308580/p1/?2

[/cheap advertisement]

11. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I have an RPG idea that I would like some feedback on. Here it is:

The Shifting Sands of Time: War of Independence

Hi! And welcome to my RPG.

The Story

It is the year 2223. The world has changed substantially. After a series of wars two main power blocs have emerged. The first is the Alliance. It contains many nations, but is run by the United States behind the scenes. The second is the Consortium. It consists of Asia, Australia, some of Central Europe, and about half of Africa. Unlike the Alliance, there is no one power controlling the Consortium. These two groups are constantly at war. Intense competition has inspired both sides to push the boundaries of science and technology outward. The most important of this research has given birth to a new area of conflict: time. The Alliance discovered time travel just a little ahead of the Consortium. At first, both sides were hesitant to send people back in time. They did not know what would happen if disaster struck. But new machines made it possible to stop a catastrophe before it disrupted the future. As a result of this, both blocs became less cautious. The Alliance created a special military branch to deal with this, Chrono Operations. The Consortium did the same thing. Their unit was named Time Warfare Division. So far, neither side has done any substantial damage through time travel. But the Consortium has planned a devastating offensive in this new field. They have reached back in the past, to the very beginning of the Alliance?s strongest nation: the American Revolution. It will take the best and brightest minds that Chrono Ops. can offer up to counter this?

Characters

In War of Independence, you play one of the time commandos from Chrono Operations. The Consortium has launched a strike at the U. S. and you are there to stop it. You will be working together as a team. My character will lead the group. I will also play as the forces of the Consortium. No Consortium slots are open to players at this time. PM your character sheets to me.

Codename: (You will be called by your codename in the game.)
    Name:
    Nationality:
    Affiliation: (As stated above, players cannot be in the Consortium.)
    Appearance:
    Bio:

The Rules

1. No god-modding
    2. Follow the TOS
    3. The GM always has the final say
    4. No spamming, trolling, or baiting
    5. PM the GM your character sheet
    6. Have fun.
    7. Use correct grammar and spelling.
    8. Don?t get excessive with the OOC?s. If you have a problem, take it to PM.

12. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I prematurely shot my wad and now I have a big mess on my hands.

Arrested Development humor aside, I'm new at (successfully) GMing an RP. I've tried and failed on many an occasion, and I think I've RPed with some of those who appear to frequent this thread. I recieved a helpful tip after the fact that next time I should try and guage interest before starting an RP. That said, I need to advertise Castlevania: Melody of Despair everywhere that it is appropriate. I've got a good feeling about this one. I encourage you all to join it and/or reccommend it to a friend. Any tips you can give me for this or future GM attempts would also be appreciated.

13. dontlookatmethatway

Jul 5, 2005
    Hmmm. Yes, gauging interest before starting a roleplaying game is a good idea. That's why I posted my game idea here (but it hasn't gotten any feedback yet, unfortunately). I'm afraid, Sephy, that I can't offer a whole ton of good advice on how to advertise. Maybe you could put something in the social thread?

14. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    We have a social thread? I don't see it on the main page.

15. dontlookatmethatway

Jul 5, 2005
    Yes. It is Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille.

16. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Oh, there it is. I was expecting to find it with the stickey's. :oops:

17. nsper7

nsper7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 24, 2004
    I know I made this suggestion earlier, but the Admins shot it down for a later date.

We all loved IBoP and most of us were saddened to see it go. I would like to create an Ad Hoc committee (with its own thread) to create and then run a new IBoP (with a new name of course).

18. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    So, I just (because I misinterpreted where my post was) read some of the earlier posts. Lifestram looks pretty cool, as does shifting Sands of Time. On the topic of Shifting Sands of Time, do the characters going back in time have to try to "act the part" so to speak? For example, would a character going back in time to prevent the AR have to try to blend in with the redcoats or would they show up and start giving machine guns and ICBMs to the Crown?

Now, here's an idea I've been toying with for when I finally give up hope that my earlier mentioned Castlevania RP will start to garner interest.

19. dontlookatmethatway

Jul 5, 2005
    When I was planning the RPG out I always had the idea that the people would act the part. I did think about your second suggestion, but decided against it.

20. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Just a random idea. A play on the "Hero's Guild" in Fable, then I decided against that and there's like 5 different names for the guild in the post.

21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    (Shameless plug for RP):

Check out my RP, it is based on the LOST TV show. PM me if you want to play, and any feedback would be welcome as well..

http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/23364691/p1/?0

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Would anyone be interested in working on a Splinter Cell RPG with me?

23. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    MASTERPRENN, that sounds interesting. I may be interested.

24. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    I've had a new RPG up for a few days now in the non SW RPF, and we're still in need of some members. Brief synopsis: an expedition of characters each with their own individual talents and skills embark on a life-changing quest deep into the Pacific Ocean to search for the lost city of Atlantis. Interested? Check out Beneath the Earth: Mysteries of the Aquatic. :)

25. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Check Out My New RPGs, still looking for players:

Into the Arena - Immerse yourself into the role of a Gladiator on Nar Shaadda. Based on the innovative system developed by Imperial_Hammer for Podracer: Life in the Fastlane, Into the Arena is a one of a kind RPing expierence.

The Lords of Middle-Earth - Take command of one of the many lands throughout Middle-Earth. Build your armies, colonize distant lands, form alliances, or go on an unstoppable onslaught...the fate of Middle-Earth is in your hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.