main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm in a fix with my character in 2 ways:
    1.She was meant to be funny, but has gone all serious on me.
    2.I have this Sith, who I'm healing. And being friendly to. Everyone else thinks it's a bad idea. What do you think could happen?

2. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    If you want her to be serious then keep her serious. If you want her to be funny then make some changes.
    Maybe healing the Sith will help him/her see the Light. You never know ;)

The character is yours to control. Make her into what you want her to be. :)

3. Yomins_Scared

Yomins_Scared Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2002
    I've been toying with this idea for a RP for awhile, but recently I decided to make it. It utilizes a different form of RP than what is used in the RPF, but it is still greatly enjoyable, IMHO. I'm posting it here because I don't want to waste space posting it if there's no interest.

So please, post comments or questions if you look at it. :)

A Thousand Generations

25,000 years from now a conflict will divide the galaxy. A conflict just as destructive now will unite it.

Growing from nothing, the civilizations of the galaxy expand, contacting each other, their awareness of the galaxy expanded dramatically. They grow, looking to expand their own power. The Republic which will last a thousand generations hasn?t even been conceived of yet. The destructive birth of an intergalactic community is at hand, and you will guide it.

The inspiration for this RP is the EQandCivfanatic on the CivFanatic board?s NES (never ending story) RTOR2. If you intend to join here, be ready to play differently than any other RP on the JC.

Basically, you play as the rulers of a civilization over years and years. No other users play as your subordinate. Every ?turn? (roughly one day) you post orders, diplomacy with other factions, etc. I then take these orders and post what happens that turn. I update your military?s size, the planet?s you control, the state of your civilization. I post random events such as famines, etc. So here?s what one of your posts would look like:

?*insert random miscellaneous IC stuff here*

Orders:

Expand navy to large (From medium)
    Attack Alderaanian colony of Fondor
    Continue researching to develop blaster

To Duros
    From Coruscanti Empire

We wish to form an alliance between our great peoples to destroy the mindless drones of the Alderaanian army. If you choose to aide us, we will gladly help you quell the nascent raids by the Hutts on your space.

?

Then later that day I would post the results of your actions in addition to assorted random events. No tactical fighting, no true character development. Quite similar to a game like Civilization III or Alpha Centauri.

I understand that this style may be incredibly confusing, so if you have any questions, don?t hesitate to post them here.

I?d really like to see if I could adapt this style of RPing to the JC for at least a few games. It really simulates a turn-based game like Alpha Centauri, Civilization 3, and their respective sequels and prequels.

So pick an early galactic civilization (Alderaanians and Corellians come to mind), and I?ll post your civilization?s holdings.

4. Yomins_Scared

Yomins_Scared Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2002
    Obviously the lack of a response means that it is the greatest idea ever and will be received with open arms throughout the RPF?

5. ShadowWarrior

Dec 8, 2001
    I didn't respond because I'm not exactly sure how the RPG will work... It sounds a lot like a "Sim" game. Is that your intention?

6. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Think of it as a cross between a turn-based strategy game, and a normal RP.

7. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I guess a lot of it will come down to whether or not you find a minimal amount of people to play. Once you have enough then if you get more or not it won't matter. Unfortunately, the only real way to know is to start it and see the response, in many cases people will sign up and then leave due to other commitments so you might want to think about getting a few interested parties together before making the big move.

It DOES sound unique and I think it could be a success but a lot of that will come down to planning and how well the game progresses once it does begin. I think the idea is good but you won't know if it will be a success or not until you try. ;)

Sometimes even the best of ideas fail because they are not recognised by potential players...

Anyway, I hope that helps :D

8. ShadowWarrior

Dec 8, 2001
    I guess you decided to give it a try, well done ;)

9. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I've been a bit worried about how I RP. I see people getting congratulated on how good they are, but I never have. I know I've gotten better since the first time I've RP-ed, but I would like to get even better. Any help?

Also, my RPG, Dawn of a New Threat, seems to be struggling. The NR and Imps are always fighting about if this or that's god-moding and eventually I just stopped reading their posts. We don't have nearly enough NR or Imps, or Jedi and...well, I already told you the problem with the NR and Imps. I really don't know what to do, I've just been concentrating on my faction.

10. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    With regard to your first question of becoming a better Role Player...

1) I'd say that a good RPer knows what is going on with his/her faction in a fair amount of depth. Especially with regards to the current situation your character(s) is in or is facing. It would aslo be of great help if you kept an eye out on your fellow faction members so as to help your team interact better as a team and be successful in your goals. ;)

2) It always helps to know what the other players and factions are up to. The more you know, the better prepared you will be when you face them in a fight or potential alliance. :) It also gives you a view of the bigger picture and you can compare your own faction's progress with others. Further, it will allow you to plan ahead ;)

3) Some of the best RPers are extremely creative or they are able to show strategic thinking. These players keep the game interesting and are constantly challenging both the Game Master and the other players, pushing everyone to their limits while at the same time making a very good impression.

4) I honestly believe one of the best ways to become a good RPer is to find a game you really like and stick with it. If it fails, move on and learn from your own mistakes and experiences as well as those of others.

5) It always helps to be a fair player, not trying to overpower your opponents by dominating or being opressive but rather out-thinking them :) As always never ever god-mode. (I personally don't like it and believe other players generally don't either). :)

6) It might help to find out who those players are that show they are good RPers and are congratualted. You could look at their posting style to see exactly why they are so good and get ideas for your own imporvements.

7) Every RPG is different. You will find that if you join an RPG with all experienced players it will be hard to stand out and compete with them. If you join an RPG with inexperienced RPers then you will possible be quickly confused and may end up with a very quiet thread or a locked one.... (It's the players and the GM who make the RPG, not individually but as a whole).

8) I'd suggest that when you post, with regards to interaction/battles etc. Don't post anything you would not like to see posted against yourself. Treat other players how you would like to be treated. Whether they return that treatment or not doesn't matter. By treating everyone fairly you will become a better RPer

9) Remember to put some time into the RPG and your character. You can't expect to be a good player if you don't allocate time and a serious effort to what you are doing.

10) The most important advice of all, I'd say is to remember it is an RPG. You are there to have fun and to interact with other characters and players. Don't take things too seriously and remember to always enjoy yourself. ;) :D

[Well hopefully some of that is good advice. Just remember it's only my opinion and that might bot be the best one or even the correct one. Hopefully you'll find the suggestions useful and they will help you to be a better RPer]

With regard to your RPG, Dawn of a New Threat, you will find that you have to allocate a lot of time and effort (although this is not always the case) into making the RPG a success.

A good RPG has both a dedicated GM and dedicated players. It doesn't have to have a lot of players just as long as there are a few to keep things running. Without the players there is no game. It is the GMs role to attract those players to the RPG and to keep them there by providing them with a reason to stay.

Usually making a thread interesting, challenging and enjoyable is a good start. It would certainly help if the RPG is based on a good idea and the idea is transeferred into an RPG successfully, which in reality is usually not very easy.

Unfortunately however, there are a lot of good RPGs that have and will continue to fail for a number of reasons. There are also a lot of good ideas behind some of

11. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    *applauds* Excellent post :)

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

Thank you, now let's just hope it is one that people will take notice of and hopefully find of use ;)

13. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    That is an excellent post. Not only will it help me, but I'm sure it will help many others other than myself. :) Thanks, Lightside.

14. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Would anyone be interested in joining a RPG based on the WOTC style of RPG. Modified, of course, for an online form, but still...

Anyway, it's set in the Rebellion era, just before the destruction of Death Star I. A group of rebels grow disgusted with the Rebellion and set themselves up as an independent group dedicated to destroying the Empire...

Any takers?

15. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Would you be able to tell me (and anyone else who might not know) what exactly a WOTC RPG is? [face_blush] ;)

16. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Hi.

I'm kinda new here, and I was wondering how best to start up a RP. I have some friends who would join in, but the problem is that they all want to play Jedi.

Do I need different people or factions, or can I have an RP work with only one type of player?

17. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    PoT's on LSD again! And smack, and pot, and boose, and opium, morphine, etc...

18. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    The Wizards of the Coast RPG. There's an RPG forum somewhere or other... Basically an online version of the game.

19. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I guess I'd have to hear a little more about it before I could give you an accurate decision ;)

btw, how goes the thousand generations RPG?

20. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Well... [face_blush]

*cough*

I was contemplating the RPF the other day, and had a brainstorm (or brainblizzard considering the weather hereabouts...).

Considering that this is a "Role Playing Forum Community Center' why don't we treat the Role Playing Forum more like a community, instead of a bunch of games being played randomly...

Basically, I mean helping each other out. For example, at the moment, I'm looking for a good RP to join. Unfortunately, just by looking at the first post, I can't figure out if a RP is good or not. If people who joined a RP posted in here, recommending it, I would be more inclined to join that particular one. Or for example, a group of people in the Community Center, based on a poll (perhaps DA would enable polls, and then disable them once he had posted a poll?) regarding which type of RP is needed in the RPF (or which type of RP the voters would join, would create a RP to fill this need. The more people who are working on a RP, the less chance there is that it will die quickly.

*shrug* I dunno what I'm saying... Ummm... so.... discuss!

21. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I agree with what you're saying. I think part of the problem is that there is a lack of attention given to this thread by the players. I don't think people actually realise there IS a Community thread where we speak about ideas and stuff. I'm guessing most people just look for an RPG that sounds interesting and join in.

If more people knew this thread existed maybe we could gather players together to help eachother with making and maintaining RPGs for others to join. :D

I'm not sure if you'd be interested but I created an RPG called Balance of Power. It is my attempt at making an RPG with lots of players who are treated equally and fairly and have a chance to voice their opinions and get to know their fellow players both in and out of character. It is off to a good start and you're welcome to join if you are interested. I believe it has a good potential future. :)

I designed it after thinking about the problems I have seen and faced both creating watching and joining other RPGs. It was my attempt at making the perfect RPG. As I have learnt, that definition may vary between players but I still made the attempt. ;)

22. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    There's something that's been bothering me for a long time...

Could someone inform me as to the point of posting eye clour, hair clour, skin colour, age, height, weight etc in a character bio. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's kind of pointless because no one will remember what your chaarcter looks like specifically and it really won't matter because what you do in your posts is more important than what you look like.

Any thoughts?

23. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    In War of the Galaxies, it's just because it's trying to be as indepth as possible because of the length and size of the game. In others, I'm guessing thread authors are either emulating WOTG, or imagine knowing something about what the character looks like is important. *shrug*

24. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I guess its just a way of giving your character depth and dimension in the beginning. I agree not many people would remember such things but its all just for fun :)

25. Laser_Bolt

Laser_Bolt Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    what would you people think about a beast hunting RPG?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.