main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinnithxtherol

Quinnithxtherol Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2002
    I think that Hair, Eye, and Skin color, etc. are basice points in an RPG. If you get good RPers, and you keep posting what your characters look like, then eventually, they will catch on, and post what thier character sees, hears, and thinks, in depth.

Of course, that's really a theory, only the REALLY good RPers do that.

2. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    A beast hunting RPG? What, something like the African Safari, only Star Wars?

3. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I think players (in general)are more concerned with the story and character development than actual appearances except at the basic level. After all appearence is not earnt whereas your development is reflected on your actions and should be taken note of. I don't think it defines a good player because you can be very good without worrying about appearance. :)

Laser_Bolt, I assume you mean hunting as in going out and chasing animals and beasts like in a safari? I guess it could be fun. You could make it really interesting if you thought about it ;) :D

Edit: I guess so. Star Wars does have a lot of animals and such so it could be very possible...

4. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    To pass comment on the issue raised by lightside, in my opinion, whilst by no means neccessary, the determinisation of a character's hair color, skin color, appearance etc. is a valuable tool for any GM trying to form his Role Play.

Why? Simply because, it is a way of forcing the RPers to at least think in depth, about the character they are playing. Will he/she be yet another uber-jedi war tactician immersed in narccisism, or something unique and powerful: in weakness as much as strength?

My first ever RPG character is Kane Lavos. I cherish him, and hold his memory dear, for a variety of reasons, but cheifly because he has such depth. The character bio for WOTG (kudos for Mitth for inventing that sheet) for example, forced me to not only assess which faction my character was to be in, what species he was, what his name would be, but all of the inner nuance that would eventually form his unique personality and identity.

He has green eyes that have a subtle piercing quality that can be unnerving, but are more often then not deceptively docile. Stark and jutting features are imperialistic in appearance, sharp and angular, whilst his fastidiously neat hair his black and modestly short, with the faintest hint of white forming near the temples, diffusing back into the sea of black scalp.
    He is of wiry but by no means muscular build, of just-above average (6'3") height, and his bloodline is a subtle blend of paternal Falleen and maternal human. His father Frek fought as a loyalists against the Seperatist uprisings on Ord Mantell, leaving him orphaned, until he was finally saved by the Senator for Roon, Deçra Lavos, and raised as a boy of civility in the Imperial Court: the subject of an entire fanfic devoted to him.

I could go on and on - I know this character so well, and he has such depth - but I think my point is clear.

Imagine an RP where all characters are this detailed, this close to a unique individual and personality that they can in a way, epitomise strong char-based RPing at it's best?

In its hey-day, WOTG was such an example. Whilst perhaps wanning slightly now, it still embodies the one key element that allows for this: depth.

Whilst it may be a simple start, having an RPer think about small things such as eye, hair, skin color, height and weight and species etc. you set your RPers down the road of character-introspection and development, without them realising it. Soon enough, their mental image of the char and his/her apperance will flow into sub-concious stereo-types of such attributes, leading to a subtle and unique blending of personality for that character.
    Sometimes, it may even be a concious decision to delve into your character, and examine him/her.

In closing, such detail does no harm; yet can do a world of good for your Role Play.
    Anything that can encourage depth an development to your Role Play, is the best life-support system you can find. Few things can hold an RP standing in the winds of adversity, but a strong core group of characters with depth is one of them.

Hope my long winded comments haven't bored the brains out of you all. ;)

Oh, and Yun, your comment above was incorrect. I've never tried pot; all the other substances, perhaps, but never pot. :)

5. Quinnithxtherol

Nov 28, 2002
    *applause*

That holds true, POT, because if the player is a newbie(Note: I don't discriminate against newbies!), then maybe a detailed character sheet will have them thinking:

"Hey, this is neat!"

I think that if there is more detail, then there will be more fun.

More Detail=More Fun

6. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I find it is also very helpful to give your character an inherit weakness throughout the game, such as he/she may be a chronic gambler, have a phobia, be an alcoholic, etc, and let that weakness be known to players throughout the RPG.

It helps humanize your character, and round them out as a Person. The character im using now is pompous, arrogant, and a chronic gambler. He also fancies himself to be a ladies' man, but falls short in that department.

In short, if you are new here and are trying to figure out just how to make a sucessful character, make he/she as real as possible. Have them love and hate, fear and be brave, and give them a character flaw that is beliveable.

And remember no one is invicible. If you find no way out of taking damage, or dying, then take one for the team. It makes the game more interesting, and besides, our RPG's take place in the SW universe, and you can always get another arm, or leg, if need be.

And be discriptive!!! the more you can immerse other RPGers in your characters inviroment, the better it is!!! Take time before you post, and think about things, such as: is the room smokey? who else is in there? what's the decor like? And things along those lines.

What's more interesting to read: John D. walked into the cantina. or The smoke bellowed out of the narrow entryway to the cantina. John brought his hand to his chin, and thought for a moment, should he enter or nay? Taking a deep breath, and summoning all his courage, John bravely walked through the dingy enterence into the cantina.......

Its all in the words and how you use them think of RPGing as writing a good book. the better you describe the surroundings and people, the better you'll grow as a RPGer.

There ya go.

7. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Well said Protius, You've just summed up what I've been trying to say in a nutshell.

Think of an RP as more then a game; but a Good Book.

There is a reason some people (kudos to Yomin Carr) are trying to transform WOTG Chapters into a FanFic.

Because it's so in depth, and so damn interesting!

8. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Shhh, don't say that, or the powers that be will start trying to force us over onto the Fan Fic board...

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Just let them try. ;)

10. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    well .. Im not into this being GM yet, I´ve thought of it and I have some ideas.. but nothing finished yet.. but I wanna give some credit to Lightside Aprentise for creating Balance Of Power I personaly think its the best PRG on the board.

11. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I'll throw some kudos to Lightside as well, despite only recently having joined, I am already enamoured by Balance of Power: a unique, original and innovative Role Play that has thrived in a forum where most RP's die...

And a good example of what I talk about when I say WOTG needs to constantly adapt and try and attract more members if we are to survive as a franchise.
    Still people scoff when I say this, but how many more 'Balance-of-Powerisque' Role Plays need to thrive before people stop scoffing and begin taking notice? ;)

Well Done Lightside: your an asset to this forum and to these boards.

12. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002
    I have this idea.. its not ready yet to be an PRG but.. anyway.. here it goes.

(dont have a name for it yet ;P )

Its several years after ANH the galaxy has fallen apart and the hyperdrive has been long forgotten, only a few planest is populated in the now known parts of the galaxy. The contact with the outer rimm had been lost and soon the population there died out.
    But a new way of travveling the space has been found. instead of hyperdrive, there are teleports that is used to travvel between plantes. the only problem is that organic matereal cannot be teleported. Once the cells have been de-materialzed they won´t come back in its original form.
    So, for species there is also a new way to travvel the galaxy.
    You step into a "mind ship" its an device that connects the mind to the universe and with this you use your mind to travvel the universe, to explore and re-deiscover the galaxy once again.
    Diplomatic meetings and other forms of contacts between the planets is always done this. Different minds come togeather in one place and uses telepathic powers to speak to echother.
    The Jedi and Sith has also been burried in the past and force users are know more known as wizards or sorcress, they don´t have the powers of the former Jedi or Sith but a few force technuiqes is known.
    The blasters and speeders are used.
    The planets that are inhabitted have often to forms of enivorment.
    Either the big cities that reaches the skyes, or the farm land. Food fields as loong as your eye can see. this is often 50/50 of the planets surface.
    There are 4 known inhabited planets.
    Coruscant, Irodinia (don´t know the correct spelling), Gevanio and Heevion (two made up planets). Heevion is the main mining planet, they mine everything from crystals to iron and ore, and the recourses never seems to run out.
    The top roulers is the telepaths, since its only they who can actually use the "Mind Ships" to its full potential they are often seen working as roulers, diplomats and so furth.
    The telepath´s are found often in birth, the gouverments on each planet has instituted a baby center where all birth´s is made. Since the population is so heave you have to have a baby-licens to have a baby, this is a licens that is givven to people from the gouverment that aprooves them to have babys.
    The chanses of a couple with one telepath to have a telepathic baby is about 50% and with two telepath´s its 75%, the chances of a couple with no telepath´s is less than 20% so its more common with couple´s with telepaths in the relationship to have a baby-licens.
    But there are also non-registered telepath´s on these planets, they often work underground with the crime-networks to be used of them.
    The telepath´s have one more advantege with the "mind ship", they can travell to these planets and seek a person, use telepathic powers to speak with them, but also, do pain in their minds. They can actually kill people using the "mind ship" and making so mutch pain in the other poersons mind so that the brain implode.
    The teleports are avaleble for everyone on the four planets.
    But the "mind ships" are strictly goverment controled and can only be acessed if you have enough money to pay for a "mind tripp" or if you are a goverment emplyee and have work to do with them.
    But the heavy crime-networks have gain acess to the designs of these "mind ships" and have built a few to use with their telepaths.

A telepath using the "mind ship" to travvel the galaxy can be found by another telepath, and killed. So for the non-registered telepath´s to use the "mind ship" is very dangerous since their work often has to be on the four known plantes.
    And these are guarded by goverment telepaths.

(I dont have the time to correct the spelling and the gramatic errors, so please use you imagination if you dont understand at once, and If there is no way that you understand, send me a PM asking me about the sentence that you dont understand.)

.. damn, gtg.someone has to use this computer, but I´l be back writing some more background story on this.

What I need help with

13. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002
    Hey, some one didnt have to use this comp :D , sorry for the double posting then.
    And the small time that whent for me finding out that this comp isn´t needed by anyone else, I forgott what I was going to post :/ . but anyway, here goes what I have come up with now.
    (and I must apologize for me spelling "rouling, roulers,roule" all these words has -o )

The teleports though are controled by the goverment in that way that you have to make a record of everything that is teleported.
    And the Goverment has a record of all the teleports that has been created and there whereabouts.
    But as with the "mind ships" there are teleports constructed by the crime organisations and used by them.
    The penalty by owning/having control of a teleport that is not registered is 50 yrs to life in prisson.

The Hyperdrive is in research, some say that the gouverments actually has it and uses it to secretly colonise other planets, but this is denied by the gouverments and they say that the research is only on the baby level.

The cities:

At the bottom, the cities are crouded, smelly and not so goodlooking. Junk piles everywhere, scrappy housing and not so fun to be.
    The facorys lay wall-to-wall and the smoke out of them coveres the air. so the sky cannot be seen.
    (Think Blade Runner mixed with Highlander 1,2,3? the one that has the big Red thing in the sky that protects the planet from sun-radiation).
    But when you go up, in the tall buildings that toutches the sky. You meet the elite of society, the best, the riches, the one that roules.
    To acess these buildings from one to another, there is catwalkes that goes from one building to another, so all these buildings are connected.
    The smoke from "down town" dont reach this far and the sun/suns shines brightly. (now think The Fift Element wth Bruce Willis).

The Farm Lands

They are industrilazied farms, with big harvester droids that harvest the crops and fields.
    Once you step into the farmlands the only thing you see is these harvesters and fields.
    The farms aer devided into big farm-operations.
    Several fields are connected to a big farm-center where all the harvesters dropp of their harvest.
    Here it is a big, huge factory that gathers what the harvesters has harvest (alot of harvest here ey? :p)
    The factory is totaly atuomised.
    Those who take care of the facotry is called Farmer-family and they livve in a regular house besides these factorys. To be a farmer you have to be born in a farmer-family.
    These familys are most wealthy, since there are not so many familys they dont have to have competition between one another.
    Allmost all of the people on these four planets are vegetarians, since they are so many, the farmers cannot and are not allowed to concentrate on meat producing. If the food is to last for all the people they have to be vegetarians.
    The most common meal is "Bashi" this is a meal made out of weat,some vegetable and soya beens (I dont know what these ingredients are namned in SW). They are coocked and mixxed togeather into a soup.
    Its not very popular, but it contains all the most important parts that is needed by any species.

The roulers and the rich on the other hand, can order any food they want, meat, vegetable, dessert or whatever they want.

The Crime Organisations

All crime organisations have their HQ at Coruscant, but the rouling on the other planets of these Crime Organisations are often indidiual so that the leader on one planet does have the same power as the leader on Coruscant. and the leader of Coruscant often dont realy care of what the other do on the other planets.
    But when the leader on Coruscant make an order to the thos on another planet, they are more than often obayed.

These are often controled by one strong male/female of any species that roule with an iron hand. If they weaken a bit they will be killed bo some other greedy person who wants to be the rouler. So the roulers often change, exept from one organisation, The Hutt Organisation. on all four planets has one form of this organisation.
    An

14. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    *drags himself from a pile of books* I concur, PoT.

15. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Why Thank you Yomin, good luck with your study. ;)

OverLord: What you seem to have my friend, is a detailed, well thought out, original and unique concept.

But to make it work, you must ensure you research and structure some of the other components needed to make your "concept" a valid Role Playing Game.

Firstly, you must think on the huge list you have just presented: Yes, it is an depth perspective of your galaxy and RP, but do you expect Newbies to read it all?
    You must attempt to condense it with the vital facts for a story arc blurb, and from there....

You must construct a set of rules and gameplay format. Now, why does this come second?
    Evidently, your galaxy has many restraints most RP galaxies don't. You can't expect all your players to learn all of these, or yeild them all from the blurb. So the rules and format must be able to agree with the blurb you have created, and allow you (the GameMaster I would presume) to feed vital facts to your players when they become neccessary.

Simplicity is a virtue that all Role Plays require if they are to prosper: As soon as things get to complicated, new players will no longer be attracted to your game.

I wish you luck Overlord: Your story arc and concept looks great!
    If you do get it up and running, I'll be sure to join. :)

16. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002

thank you PoT, I´ve been thinking about the long back ground story and all that. I dont realy know how to solve this problem. Since I´ve got even more details to add. (for god and for bad).
    So.. the best way would to have this RPG played only by experiensed RPG´rs.
    But, that would be unfair. so.. another sulution to this would to have an light version of this RPG and a more advanced.
    But this, would also bring problems since my created world is deep and complicated.
    To play this RPG ist almost nessesary to read thruw all this and get how the atmosphere of the game is.
    The rpg is based uppon SW, but the changes arre so great that it would be hard to play it if you havn´t read thruw all this.

So .. right now I have no idea how to moove on, either, this RPG will never come to life. or 6-8 experinced RPG´rs commit and read thruw all this and get the hole idea.Its alot to ask from the players. but right now.. it seems to be the only sullution. and as I sayd, even more horror. I got more things to add to the RPG background. and this isn´t even the story >_<

Now this is why I need an experiens GM to help me with the story and how to make it work. so please! some good GM that can help me?

One thing I will be doing is to make a webb page to gather all the info about this RPG and in time, I´l be doing drawings of allmost all the mentiond things in this galaxy i.e "Mind Ships" and all other that. well, now Im of to write some more on this and get drunk ;P

17. Darth-Protius

Jun 2, 2002
    I have been thinking of starting an RPG as well, but I am unsure if it will be accepted here. I will post my idea here first, and see what you, my fellow RPers and Brothers and Sisters in arms think about it.

First off, throw the current way we battle out the window. That's right. No more posting back and forth, trying to outdo each other, and trying to figure out where to take the story from there.

The plan I wish to implement here (Far in the future, mind you,) Is this. (if this has been done here before, tell me, please.)

I plan to take elements of RPG games (such as D&D, or other SW games) and implement them here. Battles will be decided on dice rolls, as a regular RPG, and Playable characters will have attributes, (such as will, intelligece, strength, wisdom dextarity, etc.) That also will be decided upon at the start of the game.

Players will still be able to control the story of the characters, but battles will be rolled upon and decided by the GM (ME!) in order to be fair. Exp. will be delt out, and people will be able to level up, and unlock and use more skills according to their levels, and attribute points.

The battle will be concluded if

1)A character is knocked unconsious, and is unable to contiue battle.(applies only to unarmed combat)

2)A characer decides to retreat(a retreat roll will be performed by the Gm, and if succesful, the character will be allowed to leave the battle as they wish.)

3)Death. (death is final to a character, unless they are a force-user and have reached a certian level and mastered certian skills, ableling ressurection.)

Damn, I'm off on a rant again. Better get back on topic.

Anyway, All rolls, (characer attributes, exp. and damage) will be rolled by the GM in order to be fair. I'm not saying everyone would cheat, but I'd rather catch hell if a character loses than start a fight in the RPG between two players.

You would still be able to control where your character went, and what he did. Unless you requested a secret mission from the GM, in which case you would have to follow the guidelines.

As for locations, planets, moons, etc. I would preferr that players only use the ones known in the SW universe, or use those from the Unoffical encylopedia. There are over two-thousand planets in there.

Well, I'd better quit for now, but ill post more on this after some feedback, and I will be more than willing to answer any questions anyone has. Thank you. And if this has been done, or is currently in use by anyone, let me know, and ill pidgeonhole it for awhile.

18. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002
    well DP is sound great, but the GM has to be very active. even more active and the most active GM´s today (many actives there). but, if u can be that active (again ;P ) the system would work and would probably be better than the system today.

19. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    A good idea D-P, but it has been proposed before, and the same issues come up every time.

Some issues I see with your RP that you'll have to find a way to deal with, are as follows.

1) The Dice Roll system would need i)Some form of online dice roll generator and ii)Some way for the GM(s) to check the results of each and every roll made by every player.
    The alternative is to have the GM(s) do the dice roll for the players, which is a)open to corruption and b)lacks incentive and the neccessary interaction to keep players interested.

2) Solid and detailed records would need to be kept on each and every player for things as varied as the experience levels, where that experience is alotted, their skills etc. This would be needed to a) stop players from cheating and upping their levels unfairly.

3) The style is a lot more complicated and can confuse the younger members of the forum and or newcomers to the game.

4)As Overlord said: These and other reasons would mean you would almost certainly need more then one GM and even then they would be akin to full-time jobs.

If you can find a way over all of these dilemma's that have stopped we others from implementing the system: I applaud you, and hope the game succeeds brilliantly.
    But they are all rather puzzling problems nevertheless.

Regards,

Kane aka PoT.

20. Darth-Protius

Jun 2, 2002
    Good points fellas. Very good points. Im up to the challenge, (not yet, though, even though I have a notebook full of stuff on this game)

I was thiniking of rolling the dice myself as a GM, to be fair, but Alot of people could accuse me of playing favorites, and It would take away the interaction of controlling your own character. An online dice generator would be helpful. I found one here If you have time, PoT, please check it out.

Im not afraid to try this. YOU WILL BE, YOU...WILL....BE! :p But it's going to be another couple of months or so until I have it all togehter and have my reserch done, and plotline put togehter.

If I do get this up and running, I will NOT participate actively in the game, but I will only GM the game. (Probally a relief for many, as my posts can be rather long winded. :p ) I will be the record keeper and will converse will all players on how to round out their character, and alot exp. points and Atributes.

But, as you said PoT I'll need a second or third GM with the same level of commitment as me. I hope I can find one.

I've been RPing in some form for about 12 years now, and I love it. I just want others to share in the wonderful experince of a Dice RPG.

It'll be bigger than WOTG.......Well, probally not, but I can always dream can't I? :p

Again, thanks Dark_Overlord and you PoT for your imput! :D

EDIT: PoT, Dark_Overlord, Im in buisness!! The website allows roll results to be sent via email to my inbox, and negative and positve effects can be added or subtracted to the rolls!!!! and it gives the genuine stats for the roll, and is mailed as soon as the roll is completed, so cheating is virtually elimintaed!! HOT DAMN!!!! As soon as I Iron out the player communications with the GM, ill be in buisness, (after a few months of course! :D)

21. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002
    Dp wow!. that dice site roules! . :D . well , i´m woundering, now. u´r about to start an rpg (within a few months). so, my question is. could it be possible for you to add your character/combat system to my rpg idea?.

If no, it isnt the world, the storyline isn´t even finished and its a risky rpg to try out, I feel that it could go out of hand pretty fast.. so dont feel any presure to say yes, you might have u´r own idea.

22. Darth-Protius

Jun 2, 2002
    Dark_overlord, I think my game may have gotten more completcated, LOL! They have map makers, world makers, Building makers, even Star-map makers on that site!!!

I think acouple of months won't be enough........:( oh well.

If you want to try the system, go ahead and give it a trial run. You seem to be a deticated RPer too, and if it works, You might be my fellow GM on my game. I'm planning on making some maps tonight maybe, or possibly even set up a seperate site for stats and maps, maybe.

It's far too soon for my game to start. Oh, and you can varify the rolls on the site, too, to make sure no one's cheating. Good luck, and Keep me informed of any problems, and we will work together to Iron them out!

DP

Oh, and by the way the working title of my game is SW: Of Good and Evil ill keep you all updated on it :D have a nice day!!

23. The_Dark_Overlord

Apr 16, 2002
    DP .. the Iron site ROCKS! .. my fav site on the net from now on :D . Im thinkin of having a small trial RPG from my idea, a small adventure. to see if it holds, unfortunally I have´nt been able to come up with any idea of how to make the RPG more user-frendly, so the RPG´rs are forced to read all the 5 pages (oh yea, Its 5 pages :D ). so , lets see how it goes . hope it works.

God night folks. Im of to sleep.

EDIT: OMFG! I found a NPC GENERATOR! :D :D :D , the site has a link on the Iron page. wooha!

24. Darth-Protius

Jun 2, 2002
    Okay, the Irony website maps are all pre-made, and far too small for the SW universe.

Looks like im gonna have to break out the old graph paper, compass, and ruler again.....Damn.

Well, ill get started on maps for key locations soon, and get them scanned, hopefully.

I want this RP to be pretty in-depth, so its gonna take awhile.

I also need to make or find some kind of star-chart as to where most of the planets in the SW universe are located. Any Ideas on where I can find one?

25. Quinnithxtherol

Nov 28, 2002
    Protius: There was a map of the SW Universe that the AOFS was using in WOTG. It's pretty acurate too, except it has marker markings and names typed all over it.

You could talk to WildWookie about it.

I also had an Idea:

What about a GM of the Month, and a Player of the Month?

We could do it right here in the Community Center!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.