main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC RPG Discussion

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Slan again, all! As was scheduled at the last meeting, we're going to be having the character roll-up at my place on Wednesday March 19, so post here and let me know you want in!

Also, I'm going to be picking up those books from Alakin very soon, (sorry Al, I ended up working all weekend) but I wanted input from all the Base personnel who are interested in the RPG as to what timeline you wanted to play in.

Ideas for who ya wanna be where and when, post 'em here!

Thanks!

*Derisa*

2. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I wanna play too!

Well, i always wanted to be a Jedi but if everyones choice for a timeline precludes that...a force adept Monk! An Ewok Force adapt Monk! Hahahahahahaha!

Just kidding about the Ewok part (although it would be hillarious and i'm up to it if everyone doesn't mind...hmmmjupjup. Kiyyyah). Picture an Ithorian wearing long blue robes and a backpack, looking to see the world outside of his living ship. Dedicated to helping others and reveal the inner beauty of life to all. While being able to kick serious butt if he has too!

Either that or a Noble class human who is an archeologist. Originally from Couresant he travells the galaxy looking for unusual finds and places to dig to write a thesis on. Very bookish but good with a blaster.

Any timeline is fine.

Gesh

3. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Anytime you want to grab the books is fine by me. Just call first to make sure I am awake.

As to the timeline, I don't know the Universe well enough to really have a preference, so all of them are fine with me.

4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks, Alakin!

So what aspects of the GFFA would you like to explore more? The Jedi vs the Sith? The Rebels against the Empire? The New Republic against the Remnant? Spies against either power? Smugglers against... well, everybody? :)

Basically, which grabs you and makes you go "Cool!"?

Gesh, I love your wacky character conceptions! :) When you get back, we'll do what we can to make that one happen. (I'm kinda into the whole Jedi Ewok thing, frankly!) Take care till then, okay?

*Derisa*

5. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Well, i always liked the pre-episode one era. More leeway with stuff and the tech is still there. A rebel vs. empire would be interesting as well but only if we weren't part of anything yet, just observers and eventually become more attached. Remnant period i'm not familiar with at all (although that would be the only one my Ewok could be in). Sith vs. Jedi would be quite high powered and very Force-using centered. So i guess i'm for, in this order: around ep one, Remnant, rebel vs. empire. But i'm willing to play just about anything, it's been so long.

Gesh

6. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Just a reminder to all interested members that this Wednesday, March 19th is the prescheduled character roll-up.

If memory serves, Derisa, you've graciously offered your home for that evening. Can you confirm and give us a start time?

- Rani

7. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Just let me know what era and allowable characters and i'll work one out with the GM (whomever that is). I've got the books here to help me make characters (except NJO and Rebellion books).

Gesh

8. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hey, The roll up is being delayed for a week or so. Just letting everyone know.

9. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    Good to hear, Alakin! I was starting to worry about missing it tonight, damn you lab tests!!! :) I'll check back later for any updates...

Vills

10. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    So what timeperiod and genre has everyone decided on. I've come up with other options for characters including combat medic who formally worked for the Corperate Sector, an ex-imperial officer now working as a New Republic SpecOps Commando officer and a young Padawan who is learning to be a Jedi Investigator (who has no combat Force abilities!). As well there is the alien melee gladiator who hails from Hutt space who wants to get out of the bodyguard buisness and travel the galaxy. Of course there is the Martial Arts Archeologist and Jedi Ewok (nubnub...kiyaa!). Any word on more info from the potential GM's.

Gesh

11. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, I don't know about anyone else....but I, personally, would prefer to stick with my Jedi. That's just....the way it goes. :) It's what I know bestand it's what I enjoy most....Republic-era stuff, you know, before the fall of the Jedi and subsequent rise of the Empire....stuff like TPM and AOTC-era, I daresay as that's what interests me most. :) I had to say it....now it's said. :D

Dawn.

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I like Rocket Propelled Grenades. ;)

13. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    Geez to bad I ain't stayin! Hey how's a Jawa as an Imperial guard or Senatorial Guard, anything to get away from these desert cloak Browns!!

14. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    A senator dressed in his absolute finary walks briskly through the dirt free hallways of the Senate halls. Footsteps echo of his and his three aides throughout, the resolute "click click' of the Senator of Corellia and the "clickidy clickidy" of the aides as they attempt to keep in step for no other reason than attepmting to group their footsteps to seem less invasive to the quiet corridor. Nearing Supreme Chancellor Palapatine's chambers, the Corellian Senator rotates his shoulders and swipes imaginary dirt off his clothes.

"I don't understand how you could be prevented from entering clerk.", he growls behind him. The Senator smooths his hair back slowly as he gets within sight of the entranceway and sees the familiar blue armor of the Senate Guardsman. Moving his chin higher to seem more regal he syas with supdued venom, "I just wanted you to handeliver documents on our trade dispute with Kuat. Is that so hard to...".

The senator squinted as he realized the shortness of the Senatorial Guardsman. "How odd.", he thought, "Must be a new affirmative action plan of Palapatine's.".

Now that the group pulled up in front of the minutly decorated chamber door, the beings paused for effect. Placing his thumbs in his belt and pushing his chest out he calmly announced to the door, not even looking at the Guardsman, "I am the Senator for Corellia and am here to see the Supreme Chancellor!".

There was a silence.

"I am here to see the Supr..."

"Kumdioteeee. Hutttto Hutttto.", came out of the little Guardsman's armor.

"What did you say?", the Senator quipped as his head turned towards the Guardsman. Snapping his head forwards again he said, perhaps a little too loudly, "I demand entrance for i am...".

Snapping his far too tall rifle to lean in front of the Chancellors door, the Guardsman turned his head to the Corellian Senator and belted out a feirce sounding command, "UTINI!".

Eyebrows raising and thumbs coming out of his belt the Senator made fists at his side, "Do you realize who i am you lacky! You are in the Senate and will speak Basic you smelly...".

Drawing the rifle in front of him again and sidestepping to stand before the door, the Guardsman adopted a standard "crowd control" stance saying nothing more.

"Well...I never!", the Senator turned abruptly and parted his retainers before him and stormed back the way he came. The assistants quickly shuffled after exchanging conversations whith their eyes and faces. Eventually the corridor became quiet for a while.

Ten minutes later the sound of flushing was heard nearby and a human-sized Guardsman stepped out of a room straightening his uniform. He then resumed his full height and marched to the Chancellor's doorway and resumed his post on the opposite side as the little Guardsman.

"Thanks for covering the door while i used the facilities. It was a whopper. Any problems?", the tall Guardsman whispered.

"Ukantanaaahh. Fuzili."

"Good. I like it when Palapatine is gone offworld. less visits from dignataries. Plus the guy gives me the creeps. You?"

"Goombiyyyy"

Great idea for a character! Even a Jawa pilot/mechanic would be fun accompanied by a prized protocol droid to translate and the Jawa could become a bountyhunter eventually.

Gesh

15. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I wasn't quite sure where else to put this....I hope it's alright that it's placed here....it seemed rather fitting to me, given as this is an RP'ing thread. So bear with me, if you will....and I *do* very much hope that at least one of you might be able to help out....since I'm sure you're plenty talented enough to do so. I've no doubt of that. :)

See, now....I am part of an AOTC RPG (it's a play-by-E-mail list, of course, like many others you've no doubt seen), and we've of course been swimming along quite nicely all this time....and the writing in our group is, as far as I'm concerned - and, indeed, from what I've heard from others as well - heck, *I* think it's the very best out there....we're a genuinely nice group, we're all good people....and we work *grrrrrreat* together. Have been doing so for many months now, as well.... However, what with recent storyline developments....we now stand in rather sizeable and urgent need of someone to play Palpatine/Sidious....but certainly Supreme Chancellor Palpatine straight off, at any rate, given as how....well, I'm Anakin in the RP, and things are heating up with the SL to such an extent that I figure Ani may be inclined to seek out the Chancellor for sage advice and help at some point soon....and, thus, we *do* very much need Palpy for that. Can't really get along without 'im, actually. :)

And, also....if one of you guys would be willing to take on Yoda - well, I've been sort of guest-piloting him thus far, as need be, but naturally with my main focus being Anakin....I fear that it may unintentionally hamstring me a little, you know, leave me ending up RP'ing with myself, that's just far too difficult to keep going for long. ;) Help!

Now....I'll reassure anyone who, I hope and pray, *is* interested in joining and helping out....that it *is* perfectly easy and straightforward, and you needn't worry at all....it's very much enjoyable and worthwhile and easy for *anyone* to take part in, and I promise you....that you won't find a better RP'ing group out there. :D All's we need right now is just a little bit o' help....and all shall be more than well! :)

Thanks so, *so* much in advance, everyone....and you can get back to me on the matter, for all the necessary info like list sign-up stuff and such....either get in touch with me via PM, or heck, just post it in here....whatever you like....and once again - thanks bunches for all your assistance! It is hugely, *tremendously* appreciated, I assure you. :D

Dawn.

16. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Sorry Qui-Dawn, i'm a pen&paper/computer RPG roleplayer. I just don't get text chat RPG's at all. I need more...randomness in my RPG's. Good luck.

Gesh

17. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Randomness? Do you think *I* always know what's going to happen in context of the RP? What, are you kidding me? :) I've been thrown so many curveballs with it, at times I daresay it's left me rather dizzy....but I also so thoroughly enjoy it, too - the unpredictability of it, that all-important aspect of being kept on one's toes and never, perhaps, knowing quite what's going to happen....but being able to go with the flow, just the same - that's all-important and, already in my experience, a fantabulous element of the game. :) So believe me when I say that it's not in the least bit ordinary, drab, dull or predictable....you'll find it's full of surprises. And that is, indeed, the whole point....

Dawn.

18. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Randomness meaning luck when acomplishing tasks. Randomness meaning one guide (storyteller) and many tourists (players)with the guide desiding the results of their tourists actions with the casual assistance of dice.
    For text chat RPG's it's all that typing. Verbally i could get into a story ring for a while but typing stories with other people with the participants playing leading movie roles...i personnaly don't feel a Yen for it. I know many do but it's not for me. Perhaps its the "everybody is a guide" feeling i get when i hear about chat based RPG's. I prefer more order in my roleplaying.

Unless its IMPROV comedy! Then its a licence to do whatever and mistakes are better to the subject matter. Perhaps thats what it keeping me from it. A mistake made by one ruins the experience but in a tabletop RPG, a mistake can be easily rewound or created to make a whole new plotline An Ewok ate my baby! (Say it in an Australian accent, it's funny trust me)

I know when "SW Galaxies" comes out for the computer, i'll buy it and play it but the typing on the computer to talk to one another brings me back to the old days of "text based" computer games (you old timers will remember those like "Hitchhikers Guide to the Gaxaxy"). Unless it supports a microphone and speech converters, i'll be the strong silent type. Just my style of typing, i like to be as properly spelt and grammerzized (hee hee). On these boards its not too bad because it's casual but worldwide...in a story that many are counting on to entertain themselves...forget it. I may have closet asperations to write fiction but thats with a computer that i can edit where i may and pass it in when i'm ready. I might have written the story above but it was spontanious and out of a spark of written creativity, not continual habit. Perhaps with practice but that kind of practice cannot be had with me looking to spend time with my wife in the near future and start thinking of having kids and stuff. Even computer games will be on the slow decline for a while as i concentrate on the above reasons. At sea, perhaps but not at home. A once a week RPG, Thursday nights at Interactivity games or James's place and the occasional weekend playing games and with the SW club is about it. Dedicated contribution to a storyline...no. Not in the cards.

But other people may be interested though.

Gesh

19. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Dawn, I moved the response to what you posted in Randy's goodbye thread here, where it belongs. We're working to stick closer to topic in these sort of threads.

You said: "*heaves a tremendous sigh and rolls her eyes in mild exasperation* No, I did *not* "misunderstand" that it was to be an online RPG....I should think it was more than evident that when I made that post in the other thread, I was referring to the online, play-by-E-mail AOTC RPG that *I* am involved in, and that the game very much needs a few new players for....or people to take on even one or two roles, at any rate, to help out. *That* is what I was referring to, so how one then might be led to think that I somehow "misunderstood" the thrust of other RPG discussions, *that* I truly do not know.

'Kay. I posited that you might have misunderstood the whole RPG discussion thread as being devoted to discussing or playing online RPG's because of your post above, which I think is understandable. It was an honest misunderstanding, I think you'll agree. In order to prevent further such miscommunications, After this post, I'll rename this thread so we all know *which* RPG we are discussing. Sound good? Then, if you want to talk about the other RPG you are a part of, or recruit new writers for it or whatever, feel free to start your own thread on that topic.

(of course, I've still had no takers on helping out with this AOTC list RPG, which doesn't exactly fill my heart with joy or confidence....and we could so use a good person to help out there....take some of the load off the rest of us....I really did have high hopes that someone *might* be interested....)

It may be that no one of our current membership is interested, but someone may come along later who is. You could start a thread on the subject, as I suggested above, and keep those who might be interested updated on what your group does. Also, I recommend posting similar requests in those other forums where you have found like-minded fans: the AOTC defence force for instance, or the various gaming forums here on the JC: there may be someone there more interested than here. As it is an online game thing, there's no reason you couldn't be working with non-local people.

And, alright, so the RPG character rollup night was discussed at the last meet at Alzu's....yes, I get that. I *was* there, after all.

Okay, that's good, you remember that. As it happens I did phone those who expressed an interest, as well as those who had seemed keen on the idea at the meeting, to find out what sort of character they wanted to play. As I read back, I note that you did post once in this thread about the topic, stating that you would like to explore a Jedi character, so it was an oversight that you weren't contacted. As it happens, we've decided to go with a post-ROTJ era plotline, and there is a definite limit on Jedi characters, since the Order was destroyed during the Purges. If you still want to join us, I'll make sure the details of our next session are posted here in plenty of time for those interested to attend. I can't make guarantees that I'll be able to post, email, or phone all the players on the day of (I do work, after all), but I can ensure that information is posted.

so how hard would it have been to do that in this particular case? I wonder....

Well, as has been said often, Real life has to take precedence, and online time can be at a premium for some of our members, myself topping that list, I believe. I had to ask Alakin to post the postponement, and I assure you, I would have had him post any changes to the location or time if there had been any.

Fact of the matter is everyone should know precisely what's going on so that they're not left out of what's happening, and if that means that a little reminder of upcoming events needs to be posted, say, early on the day it happens....then so be it. There should be no problem with that.

As I said, I think it is enough to post the details early enough for people to mark their calendars, instead of relyi

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey all!

Next game date is set for Thursday the 3rd of April, my place, 8pm. We'll be playing a bit later than last time, as I don't have to work the next day, and can snag a nap to recover lost sleep. :D

After that, if folks are up for it, I'd like to schedule a session for Saturday as well, pwerhaps earlier in the day. Let me know what you guys think.

The character sheets will be photocopied and the various modifiers calculated for Thursday, and we can inroduce new chracters at any time, so new players are certainly welcome. I have several back-histories awaiting players. :)

Background info for new players, and as a reminder to those already in the game:

Private Little Wars

Our timeframe is four years after the Emperor's death at Endor, so we have common points of reference as to era and recent events.

Most of the players are part of the crew of the Asp, under the command of Captain Stolavich. They are part of Strike Force 108, an ex-Imperial privateer fleet under the command of General Jadrin Torvellys. Other ships in 108 include an aged and decrepit Victory-class Star Destroyer, the Imperious with a skeleton crew; another corvette called the Viper.

They are currently en route to the second moon of Ord Mantell to prey on the rich shipping lanes.

Hope that helps, and hope to see some of you on Thursday and/or Saturday! :)

*Derisa*

21. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    Well, I'm glad to see the new time for the RPG. However, I have a lab test that very night, though with any luck I should be out of there pretty early! It's the end of term, and things are really stacking up...

I will try my best to make it for the Saturday session, though I have for a trip the next day! Please pm me about details on how to get to your house... I hope it's accessible by bus!

Look forward to some fun gaming! (huzzah for tailless Bothans!)
    -Vills

22. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hey, Me and Hobble will be there but Piggy sends his regrets.

23. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Like Vills, I might be able to at least show up and play the peanut gallery....I've done it before with a D&D group (other party adventuring on a different night) so I do believe that the peanut gallery can serve a function both hilarious and sly. Besides, one does not have to necessarily be directly involved in the gaming at hand in order to get something out of, to enjoy it. That much I have learned myself, in the past. What is more, I do believe that peanut galleries in themselves are highly underrated these days....

Dawn.

24. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I've never heard of a "peanut gallery" at an RPG before. Personally, I've never really considered role-playing games to be a spectator sport.

Dawn, have you spoken to Derisa about participating in the game as the "peanut gallery", and asked her if she as the GM for the game would find this acceptable?

- Rani

25. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *blink* *blink* *utterly confused* Well, there's the whole social aspect, for one thing....in other words - the fact that it is nice to spend time with people and hang out, presumably as friends....to be sociable, plain and simple, in other words. Now how would that be construed as anything objectionable?

Dawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.