Victoria. BC RPG Discussion

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well from the standpoint of a gamer, the peanut gallery aspect can often subtract from the gaming enviroment unless it is kept controlled or the game isn't meant to be as serious in the first place. So I understand Rani's concern and think you should definetly check in with Derisa the GM.
  2. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *more confused and utterly stymied than ever* So I should not have used the term "peanut gallery", then, I take it? Even though it was meant in only the most light and easy of ways.... I merely hardly see how sitting in on a gaming session simply to be sociable - for what should be the fun merely of hanging out - need somehow be a point of undue contention, or something that might otherwise prove in the least bit disruptive. I have sat in on any number of D&D gaming sessions....and it has always been eminently enjoyable, friendly, and in general quite nice for all involved. Considering that being sociable is naturally something perfectly nice and always a very positive thing - I am simply not seeing the down side here, or how it might be such an objectionable thing, for all that. It would certainly be news to me if it *was*, that's for certain, given my lengthy past experience.

Dawn.
  3. Gesh_Bomil Jedi Knight

star 1
    There are many types of GM as there are players. Some have freinds who never play but act as "supporting characters". Some GM's like that all present are playing because of a dislike of people on the sidelines. Some GM's limit their players to 3, 4 or 5. Some GM's use dice all the time while some do not. Blah blah blah.

Some GM's are some things and some GM's are not.

It's up to the GM to set guidelines as they are the cast manager, director, producer and special effect set designer.

Myself, i've had hangers on, reading comics and saying the occasional "cool" and "That was like that scene out of...". That's about the limit i can take. The observer must be sitting away from the table and limited in what they can discuss because the experience is for the players not the observer. I also limit my players to 6 max and 4 is my preffered number. I've had one freind out East who disdaned "dice" playing but loved acting so played many supporting roles, sometimes taking the game to new angles and levels.

Everyone should stop assuming what the GM, Derisa, wants and PM her to find out. EVERYONE!

Now, a question. Has anyone seen the new "Couresant and Core worlds supplement" and the "equipment" guide and what do they think. I would like to get them when i get back home (Alien anthology too, i have the 1st edition one) but wondering what they are like.

Gesh
  4. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I am complete so far on all the supplements.

The Coruscant book I've only glanced through, but there are a fair bit of planets in there and lots of game "hooks" to use.

The Equipment guide I have gone through in more detail. Its fairly typical, reminded me of the West End Games version. Basically they expanded the section from the rulebook, and give more stats for more stuff.

I should have the Ultimate Alien Anthology this week I'm assuming. I see on the Wizards website its marked as available, and I usually get the books within a few days (standing order at the local game store to automatically order in anything)
  5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    "Peanut galleries" and non-participatory observers: this GM's perspective:

I like storytelling through a scenario, and I appreciate players who assume their characters and actually play through the scene, interacting with other players as characters. A non-participatory but commenting presence can be distracting and can make the players self-conscious which is something I really want to avoid, so I would prefer all attendees at the sessions have a part to play.

So, Dawn, I would be glad to have another player, but not someone who just wants to "hang out". That's what our meetings and events are for, okay?

All discussion related to the current campaign will now be relegated to a separate thread, Private Little Wars
    so that the current discussion on source material and whatnot doesn't get lost in the shuffle, and so that my players can get the data they need when they need it. Thanks guys, and keep the conversation going.

*Derisa*

PS: NB: We will NOT be gaming on Saturday as had been previously mentioned, as there will be an activity happening that day instead.
  6. Gesh_Bomil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the info Woofer and for the clarification Derisa.

Woofer, let me know about the Alien Anthology book in reference to the 1st edition one just a short year and a half ago (or so).

Gesh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.