RPG Group Hiatus

Discussion in 'Spokane, WA' started by roxez, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxez Jedi Knight

star 3
    After speaking with Mason and Natalie, I am expressing my feeling of being burned out on the RPG gaming sessions. Granted, one 3 hour session a week may not feel like much for more seasoned players, and I very much enjoy the social gatherings each week, but I feel the game is starting to overly intrude on other activities and commitments. This is especially true of those with relationships, where the RPG game becomes the only available free time during the week when we could erstwhile spend it with our significant others. Also, with Halloween around the corner, Sean and Steph still not joined in, my exam which I am behind on the study schedule, the Ghostbusters RPG creation...

I am wondering if we need to have a serious break from gaming. I would suggest that we not meet again until November. That gives us five weeks free to do other things and clear our heads before returning to gaming again.
  2. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can understand your feeling burned out, especially after such an intense and demanding mini-campaign. That, and you guys aren't used to the commitment of weekly year round gaming. Keep in mind, real life comes before gaming, and it always should. RPGs like D&D have always had a bad reputation because people don't follow this rule, and end up doing stupid, harmful, or self-destructive things because they can't let go of the game enough to deal with their personal life.

I can understand the burnout from just the commitment as well. My week usually looks like this:

Monday - work, homework during lunch, time with Deanna after work.
    Tuesday - work, homework during lunch, laundry, possibly time with Deanna after work.
    Wednesday - work, homework during lunch, counseling after work, Men's Bible Study after counseling.
    Thursday - work, homework during lunch, time with Deanna after work.
    Friday - work, gaming homework during lunch, Star Wars group after work, possibly time with Deanna afterward
    Saturday - homework, time with Deanna, laundry, errands
    Sunday - teach Sunday School, nap, errands, Sunday Night gaming group.

A lot of the time, I end up having to stay up late, or work on gaming stuff during the downtimes at work, just so I can be ready for you guys each week. Trust me when I say that I know the feeling you get of being burned out. But at the same time, gaming is something I love, and look forward to doing each week, despite the responsibilities that go with it.

One of my frustrations with the current situation is that we don't have a longer gaming session. I've already posted one set of ideas about that, but it never really went anywhere. Having such a short session means that our time is limited, and with combat, our time together flies out the window. I'm starting to think that I should just run one campaign, and do it at the twice a month meetings at Smudges, that way we can go longer, and there's a good amount of downtime for me to prepare between sessions.

That being said, I have no problem with taking a break from gaming. The timing is oddly perfect considering this week is the week my Sunday night groups starts anew, after losing one of members, Angie Parker, to a brain anyerism (sp?) earlier this month. It will feel good to be back in the regular swing of things, but we'll always miss her.

But what do the rest of you think about taking a break, or moving gaming to Saturday meetings twice a month?
  3. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    I know that I have some things going on that would make taking a break really helpful. I was going to bow out for a while on my own and not worry about my character in the fell star, and just jump in when I could start up again. So I am officially taking a break until further notice.

The jedi campaign was intense for me. You really designed a crash-course/trial-by-fire game. Two char sheets, directives to our secret characters, some over-arching storyline, oh my!
    I was so focused on finding my sith groove, I never cared about the rest of the story. But, that worked out sithly, since I derailed many plot directions, as good sith do.

If I ever play a jedi char again, I would start as a level one ewok.

BTW: How long would saturday games go?
  4. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    An ewok Jedi? I'd make you speak Ewok in character the whole session.

The Saturday sessions would go from 1:30 or so during the meetings probably until Smudge called the meeting officially over, and kicked us out. I would imagine 5 or 6 hours on average.

Well, with Mason, Bevan, and Nat wanting to bow out for a bit, I'm going to ahve to agree that we should postpone gaming for a while. I feel that 3 or less people each week would be more of an aggrivation than a gaming session.

With October/November/Decmeber full of holidays and family time, I'd say that we should address picking up gaming on a regular basis when the new year starts.

Of course, on Saturdays when the meetings are scheduled, I can run something if you guys want, but I'd need at least a weeks notice.
  5. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Why would I speak Ewokese? Haven't you seen Caravan of Courage?
  6. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would make you because a) Ewoks are barely above Gungans on the level of GM/Party annoyance factor, 2) it adds a level of roleplaying that is beneficial to the party, since you have to mime everything, and can't regularly communicate with the group, and d) I'm petty and want to discourage the playing of Ewoks to anyone not willing to learn the language for my personal amusement.
  7. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Kvark. Whatever you say, lurdo. :p
  8. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    Perhaps I was being a bit rude by calling the group on hiatus. It's not really MY group.

If the rest of you, (as I understand it only Mason and Bevan want a hiatus, though I am partial to that as well) want to keep gaming, I'd like to see at least 3 people (not counting the GM) there each week. If we can get that, and a semi-regular place to meet, I'm all for continuing what we were doing.

Or, like I said above, I can run games Saturdays during meetings if you would like me to. Let me know what you guys think.
  9. -JediClone- Jedi Master

star 2
    I can see the reasoning for wanting to take a break. But I think waiting until the new year to pick back up is a bit too long.
  10. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    I think the saturday, every other week, sessions sound great, and Nora says it sounds good too.

I'll let you all know later when I'll be jumping back in. And Dave is right, don't let any of us taking a break stop anyone else.
  11. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    How does everyone feel about switching these to the Social Meetings, twice a month?

It would give us more time, and let more people have a chance to participate, in my opinion.
  12. roxez Jedi Knight

star 3
    I could see that as a possibility. It would force Dave to actually come :p The only concern would be if someone wanted to work on a project that day instead of RPGing. The campaigns would have to be more open flow with characters tagging in and out as the need arose.
  13. Corvalis Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would prefer to do it only at the social meetings, in order to keep projects going, instead of distracting people.

The campaign would have the same format as our main one, show up if you can, just let the GM know before hand so adjustments can be made.

It will probably be the same campaign that we first started too. So what I'll do for levelling is just give out experience, that way, if you don't make it, you only miss out on a bit of XP, instead of an entire level.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.