SWRPF Archive RPG Introduction Service

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by DarthAttorney, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    A little while back I threw out an idea about a "Permanent Universe" setting that would allow players to carry their characters from game to game. Having received a bit of feedback from interested players, I'm willing to take this a step further.

So I'm just bringing the idea back to the fore. I've fine tuned it a little, and anyone who is familiar with the RPGA-sanctioned role-playing events from Wizards of the Coast (such as the Living Force campaign) should find the format familar.

To reiterate, the basic format is as follows:

I will kick off the Permanent Universe with a brief outline. Then, small games (small number of players/restricted to a single main story arc run over maybe a month or two). Any character approved for play in the Permanent Universe can be played in any games being run. If there are multiple games running at once, the character can, naturally, only be present in one of them. In this way, small games can be run and completed, and locked off, so that players can get in some game experience, there is a sense of completion and achievement for all, and, perhaps most importantly, the events of each game persist, meaning that players' actions form and detail the parts of the universe they are interacting with.

I'm particuarly interested in anyone willing to GM - since the Universe is already set out and characters can come pre-approved from a central thread, games will get off the ground a lot faster.
  2. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    You might have expected something like this from someone, but I'm here to say it since no one else has as of yet. First and foremost, you're onto a great and ambitious plan/goal. A game on the scale of which you speak would be extraordinary. To make it a reality, like any game of such great [potential] size, there will be some need for monitoring/administration to ensure consistency across all games or scenarios and plots to solidify the goal of integration. As far as I can forsee, the only way to successfully achieve that is with a close-knit team of players or GMs who will dedicate themselves to the cause. I may be alone, but I think players of that caliber are in very short supply. At least, they once were. I've been out of touch with some of the very promising new blood, who may very well bring about the future, continued prosperity of the RPF.

3. goblin_fire Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've been out of touch with some of the very promising new blood, who may very well bring about the future, continued prosperity of the RPF.

Interesting the way you said that. It somehow made me feel like the weight of the galaxy rested on my shoulders for a second there...though I know there's more than one "new hope."

As to the rest of what you were saying, I agree that would take a lot of effort to run a RP of that magnitude. But it's an interesting idea none the less.
  4. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    As you say, the whole thing really hinges on having a efw GM's who can be relied upon. Not only to run the games, but to all keep the same universe from spiralling out of control on multiple fronts at the same time.

I've actually been toying around with the idea of starting an Alternate Universe from scratch - modifying the role of the Jedi, Sith, Old Republic, etc. who (in the EU) molded the universe into something fit for the movies (which are very, very, Black & White) and don't really leave much room for anything else to occur on a grand scale.

Still, I don't think there should be too much trouble... once it starts, the universe should pretty much run itself. Perhaps I'll run a larger scale game first of all in order to introduce the Universe and let the players' actions built the foundations for later games.
  5. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I suppose in many ways the future of the RPF does rest on people like you, goblin_fire. Quite simply it rests in the hands of anyone who is dedicated to making an effort, whether for good or ill. My words were certainly not intended to scare or imply some terrible unseen burden, as much as they were to remind you, and those like you, that you have the opportunity in every post that you provide, to make a difference. So, make them count. Someone's always watching, even when you might think otherwise. No doubt there are many players who have some skill or ideas that can be brought to reality. A little support and inspiration can go a long way. Don't be afraid to ask for help or to bounce ideas off of someone else if you feel the need.

It is always difficult playing in a vast world. There are pros and cons for making an entirely new place in which to play, or using one that's pre-established. In essence a trial version, of either option, would be a very wise move.

Perhaps I'll run a larger scale game first of all in order to introduce the Universe and let the players' actions built the foundations for later games.

That'll also give you the advantage of learning any weaknesses or issues that the game has, whether it's a story or setting thing, or an administrative/system concern. Regardless of what it is, or even if you have no setbacks at all, it can't hurt to run a trial to see where things go. It's probably the best way to proceed with a venture of this nature.

With regards to the Alternative Universe or a presently established one, you may want to consider a few things, if you haven't already. A pre-established universe is easier to get off the ground. It requires less planning and anyone can jump in. It's only major weaknesses are 1) That certain events may be pre-established. For example the Star Wars films, and 'canon' and 'EU', or whatever else people might dream up. These things are difficult to change or remove. 2) That you need to know a whole lot about things if you're going to be one of the GMs. It's always a challenge to be familiar with a number of diverse aspects of any universe. Things like the Force, its limitations and capabilities, technology, varying species, cultures and weapons or equipment, to name a few.

If you establish a universe of your own, you'll have a far larger task of thinking up all of these things from scratch. It'll take longer if you want it to be more solid, but it's worth the effort if you succeed. Just be ready for a great undertaking. Also, when making a new universe you don't have the advantage of allowing anyone to just jump in unless they have some prior knowledge of how things work or some other familiarity with the nature of this place.
    />
  6. uwishuwereme Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey im just posting here cuz i wanna find an RP with alot of lightsaber action so if ne GM's need a player just PM me!

k thx c ya [face_monkey]
  7. DarthIntegral Streak for Colors Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    I've been working on a "Clans" RPG, with some game mechanics and layout that make it similar to the popular computer game "Civilization".

To summarize the game, you will start playing with a primitive level clan of 100 sentients of your choice of species in the Star Wars Universe (with a limit of three players having the same species, so we have some variety). From there, you will play in-character as members and leaders of this clan of a species and tell their story, advancing them from primitives to (hopefully) intergalactic travellers.

How will this be accomplished? By achieving tasks in the RPG where you can up your skills, advance your technology, make alliances, wage wars, and advance your society in almost any way you can imagine.

However, before I launch this RPG, I want to ensure that it will be a success. I do not want to post a game to have to close it quickly due to a lack of interest. So, I'm pre-advertising for it, on the hope that I can find some interested players. I'm also going to offer an incentive: Anyone who signs up to be a part of the game (up to the first five, not counting my co-GM) before I open it, will get an additional point to distribute among their skills in their initial tribe set-up, OR an additional 10 adults in your population.

If you are interested, or have any questions, please PM me.
  8. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Just a pleasant little FYI:

I'll be serving as the co-GM for Integral's ambitious, and might I say impressive Clans RPG. The RPG is really ripe for creative writing as the domineering force of your civilization. I know I have a doozy of one planned out, and I'm sure other players will be equally so inclined. Definitely looking forward to playing with you all.

If you some reason (I wouldn't know why) you want to ask me questions about Clans, or feel like expressing interest through me, go right ahead, as my PM box is wide open.

Might I also add that we are looking for one last co-GM to handle the potentially daunting amount of work required in running the RPG. Its largely speculation, but we figure we'd better be safe than sorry. Interested folks can PM either Integral or myself for the position. The more experienced you are for the position the better.

Both of us are very interested to gauge a public reaction to this RPG before our launch, so please, any comments, ideas, suggestions..... go right ahead and shoot us a PM. Convo in the Community Center would also be well recieved.

-I_H
  9. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Master

star 4
    Would anyone be interested in joining either a Batman or a Power Rangers RPG? Send me a PM or post here if you would be. :)
  10. Jedi_Knight_Jason Jedi Master

star 1
    Star Wars: Threats from the Past

This RPG is controlled by two Game Masters and is looking for players! We already have a few players and we currently do not have a limit on players, so we're allowing as many as want to join, to join. The following introduction to the game will give you an idea of how the game works and how the game will be played. :)

The following Role Playing Game is more like a story, a novel for say. It is a RPG in every way, except for two key point. First and foremost, the game is "driven" by the players, not the Game Masters. In this respect, what we mean, is that the storyline, the plot, the direction in which the game is headed, is decided by the players, meaning, what the players create, do, and want will make the game what it is. The game has it's own free will for say and will go and do what it pleases, mostly by what the players want the game to be. And secondly, this RPG is different from most other RPG's in the sense that we allow the players to create the game, as stated above. But, this goes into more depth then just that. Charle and I have presented you, the player, with the context of the game; you, the player, will decide how the game goes from there, how the game will grow, how it will end.

How do we do this? Simple. We don't control the player. The player controls the game. In this respect, we accept plot ideas from everyone and we try our hardest to have everyone's plot ideas in the game. Does this mean you have to PM Charle or I with a plot idea? NO! If it is a small plot twist, something that wouldn't impact every player in the game, go ahead with it. Charle and I like to roll with the flow of the game for say. What happens is happens and that is how the game is created. The players control the game in that respect.

If you have a major plot twist, a idea that would totally turn the game in a new direction from the direction it is currently headed in, we would like you to PM Charle or I first so we could see where best your plot idea would fit in.

I'm going to sum this all up for you in a few qucik words:

"Your imagination is the game." - Jason, aka Bravo
  11. Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Knight

star 3
    Star Wars: Battle of Coruscant

Hello all, I am planning on starting a militaristic RPG that takes place shortly after the Battle of Endor and chronicles the Rebellion's Attack on Coruscant. It is going to sort of parallel the X-Wing series, but the outcome (whether or not the Rebellion is successful) is to be determined by the game. There are to be two GM's: a Rebellion commander in charge of all Coruscant operations (not necessarly Akbar, as he's in charge of the entire Navy), and a Imperial commander in charge of Planetary Defense. I am going to be the Rebel Admiral, and I would like to recruit an experienced GM to be the Imperial commander. I need an experienced one because this is my first RPG to GM. If you are interested in doing this with me, shoot me a PM and we can hash out all the details. If I get more than 1 interested party, we'll have 2 GM's on each side, one High Commander and the other to be a Wedge-like character.
  12. masterluke9 Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to make an Rp about the life of the jedi. It will be a very interactive story and will take place beetween TPM and AOTC.
    E.g you start out as an apprentice and as the game goes on you can be promoted to the rank of Master and Eventually to the jedi council (gm's) When you're an apprentice you have a master and vice versa. We would need at the start to start out with a balanced number of Master's and Apprentice's and maybe three people on the council (co-gm's 2+ myself). Character's alive during this time are welcome to be played e.g Obi-Wan Anakin or Yoda. (The people who start out as my fellow gm's would have to be council member's) We would be the NPC's and we would send them on missions. It won't follow the storyline at all unless we vote to do that. Player's are give almost unlimited freedom. We could have people turn to the darkside(With gm permission) and eventually this could be huge. Anyone interested PM me or post here
  13. KudarMubat15 Jedi Knight

star 2
    That sounds pretty interesting... It would give me a chance to test out one of my new Rodian Jedi character... I'm interested.
  14. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I am starting a Hero/Villain RP, Non-Star Wars. It starts tomorrow, but I will still be accepting characters. Check out the Metahuman Wars if you're interested.
  15. palpyisgod2 Force Ghost

star 2
    I'd like to join an PRG, preferably a small one with less than 10 characters so I can easily assimilate into life here.

will anyone have me?

About Me - I LOVE action novels, and Law and Order:SVU, and Matthew Reilly, (who is a really great author), and Jefferey Deaver, (who writes the best crime fic EVER!)

Ideally, i'd like to play a cop or some sort of crime worker, or something in the medical profession.

Please PM me if you will have me!

Palpyisgod2
  16. Riptide572 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys, I just wanted to announce the new game I am starting here on the threads and would like to get some good gamers involved. Here's a little taste of what is involved:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22623814&brd=10328

Star Wars: Flight of the Legacy
    It has been only several days since Palpatine has assumed absolute control of the Republic, disolving it and turning it into the grand empire, and the galaxy has been turned into chaos. While most sectors and systems have cheered the New Order and bowed in alleigance, several have already denounced the new rise to power. Many of these systems, like Alderaan, have made a small public disapproval of the new change, some have already resorted to open violence. The first of the Emperor's new decrees is that of the quelling of possible rebellions and has sent fleets to make examples of these rebel systems. In the midst of this all, the handful of remaining Jedi have fled in fear of execution at the hands of the Emperor's minions and his enforcer Darth Vader. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda have both fled into hiding, not knowing the fate of the other remaining Jedi, hoping their signal may have warned others not to return to the temple on Coruscant.
    Deep within the outer rim, the prototype Legacy-class Star Destroyer has finished completion. The Legacy, meant to be a variant of the Venator-class Star Destroyer, was the pinnicle of ship-to-ship combat. The Legacy had begun it's route under the guide of a skeleton crew from the shipyard to pick up it's regiment of clone troopers. Captain Verius, the ship's commander, recieved the distress signal from the Jedi Temple, telling of the attack on the Jedi and warning the Jedi to stay away from Coruscant. Verius, a loyalist and believer in the jedi, has set in motion an event that will make life for him and his crew hard from this point on. He has sent a homing beacon, asking all Jedi who can make it to come to the Legacy for refuge, protection, and sancuary from the Empire. Even deep in the outer rim, there is no doubt that some agents of the Empire have heard this message, and word will soon reach the Emperor. There is not much time, the few Jedi that have arrived board the ship quickly as it is imperative that the ship must jump to another location as soon as possible. A few attempts at mutiny have already started on the ship, as loyalists to the New Empire have voiced their disgust for Verius' actions.
    And so begins our story, the Empire's new weapon has become it's greatest threat. What's left of the valiant heroes, once called Jedi are on the run. And with all of the fleet chasing the Legacy, they must keep jumping from system to system, staying one step ahead of the Imperial fleet.
    So have been planted the first seeds of Rebellion!

I'd love to get anyone who's interested involved! Check the link out here!
    http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22623814&brd=10328
  17. PoeticExplosion Jedi Padawan

Hello,

I'm fairly new to RP and totally new to SW RP. I'd like a smaller RP that is willing to let me develop my character as we go, since I don't have any pre-existing. I'd prefer to be a Jedi but it's ok if I can't be.

Thanks!
    Peter
  18. uwishuwereme Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey,does anyone know of any good RP character creator peferably a Star Wars RP character creator.

Thanks
  19. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    hi, im new to all rp's.
    i am looking for a game that will allow me to develop my character and will allow me to slowly learn the ropes.
    i would love to be a jedi, but its okay if im not.
    please pm me with any options. thanks
    ausitn.
  20. jedi_killeroak Jedi Master

star 4
    I know the rules state; That only GM's can put
    in a request.

I am activitly taking some liberties here on the GM's part,
    before it dies.

We are in need of some new players in Stargate 1; Sith join with Anubis. There are about three to four poeple playing now. It is
    a slow game right now so it won't be to hard to read and catch up.
    I play two parts, the sith and Anubis. We are in need of maybe one
    more sith, and more Stargaters. Though if anyone is interested in becoming Anubis, I would be willing to let them have it.

It would be great for first timers to the RPGs, and or extra
    practice on roleplaying.
    Though I am requesting that he/she must be able to post at least
    once per week. This could be fun for begainners, and maybe for more experienced roleplayers too. This RPG, may last maybe one to three more
    weeks before the regulars say it is done. So please come and check it out. Before it dies. :_| And help keep it alive. =D=

If you are interested in checking it out, you can go to;
    http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/21385088/p1

If it does catch your eye, you can contact; Ryu_Taikiwa with your charater sheet.
  21. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Master

star 4
    Guys, I'm dying to start a batman RPG. But I need support for it before I can open it. Please let me know if you're interested.
  22. Ashton_Fre-Nel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Greetings

I am an experienced PP&D player in both SW d6 and d20, but have never played in an RPF. While I would love to play every day I am limited to posting only Thursday - Monday, 7am to 2pm. This may restrict any involvement that I have, but if you're willing to work me in I'd gladly join.

As it is I will play practically any role in any era. However I particularly like playing the scout or soldier within the Imperial Army or Rebel Alliance.
  23. Dickie Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey there! I've been looking round here and this looks like something which might be interesting! I've tried reading the various manuals around but it is all a bit confusing! Can anyone point me in the direction of something simple?

Ta,
    Dickie
  24. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You might want to try signing up for the Adoptions Program if you haven't already. You can get an experienced player as an "adopter" and they might be able to help you with some games.
  25. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'd support the Batman RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.