main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA RPG Proposal

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Corvalis, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    My schedule cleared up next week, and moving forward, will probably stay clear until September. I know a few people have expressed getting in more time for the RPG group to get together. So here are some ideas, let me know what you think, and if you come up with something else, let me know.

Idea One:
    We continue with the Thursday/Friday games, but add in a Monday/Tuesday session as well. This would increase the workload for the GM running the campaign, just FYI, as they would have to run two sessions per week.

Idea Two:
    Same as Idea One, but we have two games going at once, one GM running the Mon/Tues game, another running the Thurs/Fri game. This might get a bit confusing for everyone though.

Idea Three:
    We continue with the Thurs/Fri games, and add a Saturday session as well. Again, this would be an increased workload for the GM.

2. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I would love to do any of those combos, but I don't think there is any way I could win a persuasion check on my wife for that.

"Honey, what's your will defense for spending more time with the RPG group?"

3. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    I totally understand that! The benefit of having multiple sessions would be in situations where you couldn't make the Thurs/Fri group, you'd still have another session you could go to. I'm thinking of Alfredo here mostly, as there are very few times he's been able to join us week after week.

Also, if we included Saturday, we could make it longer than 3 hours. My current gaming group usually runs from 5 until 10 or 11 at night, and the prior one I was in before that would run all day on Saturdays, from about 10am until 10pm. But we had a GM with no life outside of gaming.

4. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    I agree with Dave. I could use more gaming time, though not as a GM :p

If we go to longer sessions I suggest Dave or Chris be the GM those times because they know what they are doing. Unlike Mason of course, I don't worry too much about getting the missus' permission. Considering she sits next to me at these gaming sessions...

Hey, there's the solution. Mason, get your wife to play the game!

5. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    I don't know if any of you realized this, but for the most part, I make it all up as I go when I GM.

Personally, I think both you and Mason are doing a great job running the games. It's exciting for me to see people who are new to gaming try their hands at the GM role. I don't have any complaints about your styles, and I love helping you guys out by dropping hints and tips from time to time.

6. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    HEY! Oh, well that's true.
    I've been thinking about suggesting it, but one logistic is babysitting. Otherwise I'd be bugging her all the time to give it a try.

7. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Dave, you wing it? Wow... though the Felstar thing campaign you at least have an outline in the book.

Well, I'm all for it. I do like the second option though, where one GM's game is on the Thursday/Friday slot, and another GM's game is the longer sessions on the weekend. That way we aren't burdening a single GM with too much work. Yeah, it might get confusing a little, but considering we have 4 GMs playing 5 games with 4 character sets... It's not like it can get more confusing!

8. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Sure, it can be a bit confusing. That's why most groups run different systems/genres besides just Star Wars.

Which brings up a good question, do we want to stick with just Star Wars, or do we want to expand into some other genres?

I've done some D&D (mostly Ravenloft in AD&D 2nd edition), Deadlands (awesome Wild West/Demon Invasion game), Star Trek (d6 edition, but I don't have the books anymore), Serenity (fun, easy system, but I've only played it, not ran it, so it'd be a new experience for me), Call of Cthulu (again, only as a player, so it'd be new to me), Silver Age Sentinels/Heroes, and a ton other. I'd be willing to run them, not sure about the other GMs though.

9. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Personally, I like the Saga stuff. Then again, it's the first system I've played. Also, while I enjoy playing the game, I think I only want to collect the material for one game system, at least for right now. Buying books and playing pieces is expensive.

I have no problem playing other systems though.

10. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Welcome to the wonderful money grinding machine that is gaming my friend. Companies are constaly churning out new books for the current systems, and will occaisonally release new systems, requiring you to buy another 200 plus books. Isn't Capitalism so much fun?

Saga has a year or two, maybe a little more, before Wizards of the Coast push out a new system, and everything else becomes outdated.

The easiest way to avoid getting caught in the vicious Cycle is to a) create your own systems or adaptations to systems, which requires an intimate knowledge of the mechanics bordering on breaking the commandment "Thou Shalt not commit adultery", or b) buy older systems on ebay or from used book stores for a cheaper price. If you're desperate, you can even sink into the realm of piracy and illegally download PDF versions of current and older books.

11. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    I have another gaming group on Wendesdays, so I dont know how practical it is for me to be playing three games in one week. A third game may be something I start out on, and then have to give up.

That said, if we were to start doing something on Saturdays I dont mind them starting sooner and lasting longer, but I'd like them to END earlier in the night.

The only things I could run under such a scenario would be my pre-existing SW game or Trek. I've run Trek before, but all I have left of hard supplies is a copy of the the GM screen. And I never did figure out how starship combat was supposed to work, so I avoided it.

I've seen used Trek d6 sourcebooks from time to time in Hastings. The series core books are basically all the same with different race/profession/background templates. Back when I had access to all the books, I copied ALL those templates down, plus a bunch from trekrpg.net, and programmed them into a freeware character generator I found. So character creation would pretty quick.

(Dont waste your time/money on the short-lived d20 Trek game. That was a piece of crap.)

12. -JediClone-

Mar 21, 2005
    It might take some time to figure out how to do it, but another option would be to make a campaign around the Steampunk Ghostbusters idea.

13. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Bevan and I are putting our heads together to make a Ghostbusters game system. For the most part, it's d20 Modern, with bits and pieces, since d20 is very compatable with Saga, which is the system Bevan wants to do it in.

Going Steampunk is definately an option, but I'd like to get the base system ironed out first, before we modify it to a specific era.

14. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Chris, get out of my brains! Get out! :p

As for the system used for our built game, Dave, I suggested Saga only because that's the one I know. d20 seems like it would be more robust. I do have some basic info on the original Ghostbusters RPG which look like a d6 "pool of dice" system. Reading over that system though I think we still need to convert it to d20 or Saga.

15. -JediClone-

Mar 21, 2005
    Were we actually supposed to be using the paper Ghostbusters cuttouts I saw at the last game for miniatures in that game when it happens?

If so, I worked up a custom model:

[image=http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/JediClone/ColBuster.jpg]

16. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    That was speculative. Dave and I haven't figured out the combat system yet, so once we do that we can figure out the avatars for the players. Cubeecrafts are rather large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.