RPGs - On-Line and Otherwise

Discussion in 'Seacoast, NH' started by slappy, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy Jedi Knight

Despite the years of comic books and star wars I'm lost when it comes to RPGs, but I'm willing to learn. At the meeting Saturday while discussing character creation I heard that many people said they were involved in an on-line RPG (of SW?). This sounds like something I would be interested in, but where do I go and how do I start?

Any help would be great.

Chris "A Jedi called Slappy" Pyne
  2. JangoFett3263827 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ditto Slappy. I am also lost when it comes to RPG's. At the meeting I heard Cephus talking about a nearby Star Wars LARP (live action role playing) that sounded interesting. Also, who wants to get the new Star Wars Galaxies game that is coming out soon? That could be cool if our whole group got together at one place and have an online meeting! Just a thought.
  3. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, guys.
    Table top RPG's are actually really easy to play (harder to run. :) All you need is a pencil, your character sheet, (which I'll help you create) and a set of dice. Jango, jump over to DM Comics and thy'll hook you up with a nice set of dice. Dice are called D6 for a 6-sided die, etc. Here's what you'll need: 1D20, 1D12, 1D10, 1D8, 1D6, 1D4. It's preferred to have 2D10's because you may need to roll a number between 1-100.

I'll teach you everything you'll need to know about your characters before we play. Because of your inexperience, I suggest someone who is NOT a Jedi. They're complex. I have decided after carefully reviewing the Core Rulesbook, that if someone wants to play a Jedi, I'll let them, but it would be fair to the group if it is well-rounded with various types of character classes. (A class being what you do: a scout, a Jedi, a pilot, etc...)

There are also dozens of different races to play as. You could anything from a wookie to a rodian to a human to gungan. I'm going to disallow two races: gungans and ewoks. Ewoks aren't allowed because they're not known until Ep. 6, this game takes places between eps. 2 & 3. So there's no Empire yet, just Seperatists and the Republic. If you can give me a good reason why you should be a gungan, then I'll allow it. But the game will have some interstellar travel and gungans mostly stay on Naboo. That's why Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon didn't know what they were immediately. Heck, the gungans didn't even have representation at the Senate until after the war on Naboo.

I suggest waiting for a few game sessions before you buy the Core Rulesbook if you're unsure about the game. It's a $40 book - unless you're a hardcore collector, then by all means buy it from Rik! I'm going to wait a couple game sessions before I buy books like the new Coruscant book and The New Jedi Order book.

If can't get dice before the game, I'll be bringing my Dice Box of Holding. And if you want dice of your own, let me know, I can fanangle a way to bring some for you to buy from the Wizard's Tower.

May the Force be with you.
    -Cephas

4. slappy Jedi Knight

Cephas,

I'm all for it. Three questions:

Are the games going to be held at the Cantina?

What info do I need for character creation?

Can one choose to be a force sensitive character with the possibility to become a Jedi later?

Thanks
  5. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just so my other post doesn't seem too winded, here's Post 2.0

What the character sheets entail:

Character name
    Class (what they do/are)
    Species (your race)
    Character level (as you get experience in the game, you go up in levels, allowing you to do more and become healthier)
    Class Level (not always the same as your character, you could be a pilot who later becomes a Jedi - sound familiar?)
    Age (how old is your character?)
    Gender, Height, Weight, Eyes, Hair, Skin (all just details about your character - not you :)

That's the easy stuff. Now the real work:

Here are the stats that make up your character, I'm going to use the roll method. You roll 4D6, take out the lowest of the four, that's your score. Then make this roll 7 times. Keep track of each score. Take out the lowest of the 7 scores. You now have 6 scores, those six will be placed in one of the following attributes: (BTW, rolls are to be made in front of members of the group, not on your own, this helps prevent cheating or "fluffing")

Strength (you strength, duh)
    Dexterity (how fast/nimble are you?)
    Constitution (how healthy are you? Can you run for a long period of time or climb without stopping? This determines that. Also gives you higher Vitality and Wound points making it harder to kill.)
    Intelligence (The higher this is, the more skill points you get and these are always important.)
    Wisdom (Important for Will power and several skills.)
    Charisma (how do you look, how do people react to you? You could be Tom Cruise, but if you have the social graces of a toydarian, or worse, a hutt, you'll have a low charisma.)

Saving Throws (predetermined according to what type of character you play, they get bonuses for some of your attributes.) They are:

Fortitude (you get poisoned/gassed, make a Fort. save, if you succeed, you may not be poisoned, if you fail, bad stuff happens.)
    Reflex (a trap opens beneath you, make a Reflex save. You make it! As you fall, you grab onto the ledge and don't fall into the empty pot that the molten metal is being poured into!)
    Will (A Jedi is telling you that "These aren't the droids you're looking for, you make a Will save and fail! Those really aren't the droids you're looking for after all!)

Melee (You get in a fight and need bonuses to hit stuff sometimes, that where this comes in.)
    Ranged (That's a fight with guns, etc.)

Vitality (Your health. The higher it is, the less chances are of you dying.)
    Defense (Your armor, dexterity gives you less chances of being hit.)
    Wounds (After your health is your Wounds score. When this falls to "0", you are dead. This is based off of your Constitution.)

Speed (almost always 10 meters. Or 30 feet. Can vary depending on race. AN Ewok has a Speed of 20 feet or 7 meters.)
    Inititiative (WHen you get in a fight, you all make Inititiative rolls, this determines what order a fight goes.)

Skills (there are several skills available and they help you do stuff. Some are trained only, some aren't. Not everyone can do all of them. A Scout can track better than a pilot who can fly better. But a pilot can just as easily have NO skill ponts in his pilot skill, making it hard to steer his ship. You get a pre-determined amount of skill points to spend depending on your class.)

Feats (these are special abilities that you picked up over the years. You get 1 or 2 at first level usually and more as the game progresses.)

Then it's just a few things left like equipment and weapons left to do. But that's the whole character! This process can usually take up about 30 minutes to a couple hours depending on how in depth you get.

I also suggest a background that you create for your character that says who you are and what you're like. Play a few game sessions then make one up, after a while you'll learn who are and what you're like then you can write it all down. I'll be bringing some papers in that can even help you learn about your character.

I already have a (hopefully) fun game outlinned and will allow players to enjoy their characters
  6. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't know where it's gonna be played yet. Details coming soon.

I'll provide all you'll need to play. I know others have the books too. If you DO want to buy the Core Rulebook now, get the REVISED edition with Ep. 2 stuff in it. It's $40. Ask Rik for it.

-Cephas

7. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    And yes, anyone can become Force Sensitive or a Jedi during game play at any time. But make sure you have a reason for it in-character, and not because, "Hey, I wanna do that too!" That's munchkining or meta-gaming. We'll have none of that. :p

-Cephas

8. slappy Jedi Knight

Well, post on up here when you have details and I'll be there. If I remember correctly you said Sundays work best for you. Sundays are probably the only free day I have any more so it's free to fill.

I'll do what I can, but the dice rolling might have to wait until an actual game sitting. The rest of it I will work on right away.

(Assuming she reads everything on this site...)

Lyta,

Can we start a thread for bouncing around RPG character ideas and backgrounds and whatnot?

Chris "A Jedi called Slappy" Pyne
  9. Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't see why we can't start a thread on that topic, so feel free to go for it. If anyone is interested in getting involved in any of our online RPG's just check out the links section at New Hampshire Echo Base or check them out in my bio.

Jaded
  10. RikSMaximus Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you guys want to get together this Saturday (March 1st I think) we can create characters and maybe do a quick adventure just to get the newer roleplayers a taste of the RPG world. Cephas, it wouldn't have to be anything major, y'know....just a quickie
  11. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    The idea of Rik wanting me to give everyone a quickie makes me curious.... :p

I'll see what I can do, no promises. I haven't looked at my schedule this week, I'm going day by day 'cux I'm lazy. :)

If I'm working, I'll see if I can switch. I'll know more tomorrow night. I'll post then.

I'm really glad a lot of people want to get involved in the RPG. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

-Cephas
  12. slappy Jedi Knight

Does Saturday work for anyone else? I'm up for it. A day a character creation. What else are you looking for baby?

Chris "Darth Slappy" Pyne
  13. Hobbie107 Jedi Padawan

Just wanted to let the RPGers, that as a experienced RPGer, I am more than will to help anyone who's interested in generating characters, but cannot be at a get together, I am more than willing to volunteer (SC) to help out. As long as it is reasonable to the powers that be. By the way I would be happy to attend on Saturday. Just give me a time and I'll be there. Slappy It's your call, along with Cephas.
  14. JangoFett3263827 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Slappy, I might be able to make it Saturday. I'll see what I can do.
  15. slappy Jedi Knight

We could have an arts and crafts day and make custom action figures of the characters we create. Now that, my friends, is a geeky idea!

Chris "Dark Jedi Slappy" Pyne
  16. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    I looked into Saturday night and I can't make it. Sorry, guys! On Sunday I could, but we'd have to do it after 7:00. I am in a RPG tournament and it ends at 6:00 roughly then it commences to an awards session ending roughly at 7:00. If anyone wants to meet somewhere at that time, I could meet you there and do some character creation with you. The following week I have to work Sunday, getting out at 7:00. The week after we could get together on Sunday and play if you want!

It's because of work that I offered every other week for gaming unless we got together after 7:00.

I'm good with this schedule. Keep this thread spinning so we can get some details worked out!

BTW, I talked to the Wizard's Tower and I can sell everyone sets of dice for playing. It has everything you need and I think they start at $5.95. I'll bring a selection of about a dozen or so sets of various styles for people to buy if they need dice. I can have these available anytime we get together.

-Cephas

17. JangoFett3263827 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I won't be able to make any Sundays, but I am open the 8th and the 22nd. I have one question: How does money work in the game?
  18. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    I usually get either Fri-Sat or Sun-Mon off at the moment but when I move into management I'll pretty much be able to set my schedule, so mark me down as interested.

As for a story reference, I take it that the story will be set with the Clone Wars as the backdrop?
  19. Cephas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, Clone Wars backdrop. In fact, the first 1 or 2 stories will be directly linked without being affected by the movies. The War is going to be so vast, almost no quarter of the galaxy will be unaffected. Just look at how the Empire stretch outwards after Ep. 3, so we know thw War will be large indeed.

As for Jango's question on money, everyone gets a predetermined amount of credits (works like a credit card, you have a small reader that can access your account and you can transfer to others with ease.) you use these credits to purchase or gamble or whatever you want. You buy all your beginning equipment and weapons and armour with these credits at first level. What should you buy? Whatever you want. Buy what your character should have to start with. WIll he/she have a weapon when they start out? Or will hey try to abscond one somewhere later? Do they have an astromech droid right away? (Probably not at first level, an astromech droid (R2 series) costs 4,500 credits. Maximum beginning credits for a first level player is 4,000. But you need to buy all your stuff with this money. So odds are you can't afford a droid right away, you'll have to save up for them.

Any other questions, please ask. If I don't have an answer right away, I'll make one up. LOL

-Cephas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.