main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPGs

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The_Fireman, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Ok, I was here a while back asking for a good detailed list (or a website with one) of open-ended, non-linear rpgs for PS2 in the vain of Morrowind, Harvest Moon, and the like. I didn't get very successful results. I'm still looking, and I'm sure that list has grown. Only catch is that I no longer have a PS2. Basically I'm just looking for PC games.

Anyone know where I can look for these? I'm looking specifically for open-ended, nonlinear games set in a fantasy realm, preferably games made recently (no later than early 2000's). And no MMOs. Can't afford 'em, and plus I'm more into just creating my own character in my own world, and having the freedom to go and do what I want, and follow a storyline at my own pace. I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Also, to help narrow down the list, I also thouroughly enjoy Zelda and Dark Cloud, though I prefer a little more freedom, such as found in the aforementioned games in the first paragraph. As far as settings go, I'll settle for a more sci-fi arena, but again, I'm mostly looking for fantasy.

2. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Here is what I can think of that matches what you want:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC/Xbox)
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 -- The Sith Lords (PC/Xbox)
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC/Xbox)
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Coming this fall to PC/Xbox 360)

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series.

4. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Thanks guys. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not really into dungeon crawlers. Basically, the games I mentioned before are the only ones of their kind that I've come across. I'm looking for stuff with a detailed world that you can explore, that looks pretty and has stuff to do besides hack away at enemies.

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Baldur's Gate has a superior story. The myriad side-quests make it non-linear. There ARE dungeons, but much is overland and city adventure. It takes place in the Forgotten Realms world, and is richly detailed.

6. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I guess Fable can also be added to that list to. It's an Adventure-RPG game. It has linear elements up its also open-ended.

Fable is already out on the Xbox and Fable: The Lost Chronicles is coming out on the PC.

7. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    Fallout 1 and 2.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    An online game with no monthly fees that you could try is Guild Wars if you want to try your hand at some MMMORPG stuff.

It is story driven though which may not appeal too much but as they're always expanding the game area there is plenty there to keep you occupied.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think Gothic might be similar (though I've never played it).

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    fallout 2 is one of the greatest games i've ever played ever. so so good.

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I would add one more brilliant RPG ~ Neverwinter Nights. It is based on D&D.

12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Neverwinter Nights is run-on-rails linear. The expansions are worth playing for the story, and there?s less hack and slash than there could have been, but they?re still extremely straightforward.

Morrowind is really the only game I'd strongly recommend based on what you want.

Baldur?s Gate I and II I can sort-of recommend. They both have a main plotline that dominates everything, but they both allow for a fair amount of freedom of movement during the majority of the game. To see all there is to see in BGI would take over 50 hours easy, and I?d say that there are over 100 hours to waste trying to find everything in BGII, at the very least. Plus, the role playing elements of BGII are the strongest of just about any RPG out there.*

* Yes, I know and love Planescape: Torment. I'm still going to say that Baldur's Gate II has more roleplaying.

13. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Gothic 1/2 are highly interesting RPGs if you like your games dark, gritty and at least partially non-linear. Okay, so they do turn linear after chapter(s) one, but there's a lot to explore, a lot to do besides killing things and a world which feels alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.