main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RSA's message and request for CR nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by halibut, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    now that was an idiotic bit of modding.

the expression 'gay banter' is entirely non-sexual, using 'gay' in its original adjectival meaning as 'light / frivolous', and has been applied thus in a thousand books, light entertainment TV programmes and radio shows in the UK over the last century.

It is entirely non-offensive, and I was clearly using it as such. I was, in complete honesty, saying, "it's been fun, see you later"
    If I'd wanted to call people names, believe me, I would have.

THAT is as good an example as I could possibly want of the kind of over-zealous modding that has turned this board ? and, I understand, several other UK boards ? into a wasteland.

let me put it in terms you might understand ? 'the more you tighten your grip, the more [membership] will slip through your fingers'

2. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    For some reason I have an amalgamation of Lily Allen and brotherhood of Man singing in my mind.

3. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    hahahhahah Save All Your fudging Kisses for Me......

this scottish board had a reputation for being a friendly place, where no-one got slagged off or 'flamed' if you will....... an atmosphere that was achieved simply by having some good people as regulars who voluntarily kept the peace, protected the innocent, and fought for truth, justice and the caledonian way.

trying to impose this gang-hut rulebook, apparently written by an american pre-teen, without leeway, is just.......... silly.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    At the end of the day, the boards belong to them, and so do the rules. If someone doesn't like them, there are other forums

5. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    'them' , Halibut?

you're not talking like one of the team there, soldier. :)

who is 'them' anyway?
    I always took it that these forums were an extension of TFn, no?

Who pays for the server?

And the point is, you create a forum, all you are creating an empty public space, and you have to hope that individuals come along and provide the content that makes it worth reading, and thus attracts an audience.

If the individuals 'they' are courting are UK based, trying to apply (an occasionally absurd) middle-american rulebook is counter-productive.

You just won't get the people, and the forum becomes a place where generals with no armies discuss tactics..... like it is now.

Sure, it is 'their' board.
    But if 'they', through UK 'officials' like you, want to make it work, maybe you should apply some discretion, rather than just being a drone, eh?

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, FanForce is kind of an extension of TFN, but its role for "existing" is about real life meet-ups. It's owned by a guy called Phillip Wise (yes, he's an American), and they are ultimately his boards. If he says to implement a rule, then that happens.

There is nothing wrong with having fun on the boards, but FanForce IS about meeting up with other fans in real life, and that is the reason each chapter gets given its own board, to help facilitate those meets. And there is no reason why you can't have "fun" as well. Have a look at the north chapter's board. There's a healthy mix of official threads and social threads.

There is a very real danger that this board will close as the reason for it opening in the first place was to help with meet-ups, and this hasn't happened.

I don't want the board to close, which is why I'm trying to help. It is clear that you do not believe that meet-ups are necessary to keep this board going. However this is 100% not the case. If all people want to do is chat and have a laugh (which is fine), then use the UK Regional board, or the YJCC.

But without meets, this board won't last much longer.

7. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Can I just ask. Why? Is there no one on this board that is interested in the idea of fan force?

The only posters seem to hate the very idea and I'm not surprised, every post made [in this thread] is sarcastic and pointless.

I don't see how you can say that organisation will kill a chapter? When the north started we had no organisation, myself and others built it up from scratch and I feel we managed to do it in our own way, from that we have a thriving online forum, just like you want, we chat about meets and general rubbish alike, and from that we had people who didn't intend to take part in meets decide they want to put a face to the avatar if you will and enjoyed the boards all the more for it.

A CR doesn't have to dictate what fun is had and how, when I was CR I encouraged everyone to do something of their own, Spike has carried on that tradition, if you look at our meet scedule he organises the big stuff, but most posters have decided to do something in their area and they have the freedom to do so.

So why not have one? why does it effect those who don't want to get involved if those who do elect a CR and have meets?

8. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I was up in Glasgow a year ago tomorrow, meeting Dank and a bundle of other people that I met on these boards.
    Infact it was a wedding, between two people who met on these boards.
    I've actually been to two weddings between people who met on these boards, and I hear a third and forth are in the planning.

The thing is - meet ups have happened and will continue to happen.
    Unfortunatley many, nay most, of those who meet up socially have been driven away from here, myself included.

What seems to be the case is that you are saying not only domeet ups need to happen but that they should ot be all that social. You can't just met up in a pub, talk star wars and get happy. What you have to do is meet up, elect a supremem challencelor, a head of the jedi council, a treasurer and then dress up and walk down the street collecting for charity and persuading people to join the , er , Jesus religion (not the jedi one - but why?). And whats more pictures must be taken.
    Pathetic.

I say again, meets have always, and will continue, to take place.

9. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    These rules are great. I can't see the problem. In fact, I do hope I can bring them up on my television screen using that popular, text-based, modern communication channel, Ceefax.

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    sigh......, again, you remind me of the rules as they are dictated from on high.

and again I remind you that this place worked well for years as a largely online community, which OCCASIONALLY produced meet-ups. It was an asset to the overall organisation.

I was on here, quite happily promoting Scottish Star Wars fan solidarity, for five years before anyone said a word to me about RL meet-ups being a statutory REQUIREMENT. That dictat has only come to the fore under the current mod regime.

Has Philip Wise personally told you and your immediate 'superiors' that you MUST shut this board down if there are no meets?

Or is this just a case, as I suspect, of regional mods, a million miles down the pecking order from the yanks, trying to look busy to justify their own existence ?

I am quite sure you could just leave this place alone, let it thrive on its own terms, and you'd never hear a peep from yir bosses.

Alternatively, shut it down. Use yir wee bit of power to actually ERODE the online SW community. Maybe Philip will send you a badge.

I've already cut-n-pasted my Glaswegian Star Wars comedies and will quite happily finish them off in front of a bigger audience on myspace.

11. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    I think toochilled and MrDankDonk are deliberately missing the point - it doesn't matter what has worked in the past, or what seems sensible now - the only important thing is that the rules exist, and are adhered to. I, like Halibut, first posted on these boards many years ago, and my hope is that I will, at some point, be selected by my superiors for a junior position in the hierarchy. If this ever happens, I will then know that I have acheived something in my life.

The rules are what will make my new position appointment worthwhile. If we follow MrDankDonk's "casual" approach to these boards, I will be unable to tell other people what is right and what is wrong, and my dreams of acheivment will therefore be dashed. If I do not achieve a position of importance on these boards, then where else will I do so? In my real life? On Ceefax? I hardly think so.

Let me underline the important point about the "casual" meet-ups that MrDankDonk and toochilled think they have had in pubs and at weddings - these meet-ups are NOT valid, and the attendees, especially those who got "married", ought to be ashemd of themselves.

12. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    thankyou Chilly, good points well made.

Ogli, 'pointless and sarcastic' are we?

I loved this board, back when it wasn't beset by interference from outwith the area it is meant to serve.

Myself and others made it a happy place ? I feel particularly attached to and protective of the Scots board. If you cannot appreciate the nuances of my argument, which is very far from 'hating' the idea of FF, why don't you justfudge off back to England? There's a good chap.

edit: I am willing to concede that there ARE elements of 'pointless and sarcastic' in OJK's material, but he is 'special', and we tolerate his kind around here. We just don't elect them to positions of power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.