RU-R2? The Droid Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by tjace, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    "Hello, I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations..."

Welcome to the EUC Inc. droid workshop! Whether you have an affinity for the mischievious yet highly skilled astromechs, the formality of protocol droids, the brute force of battle droids, or other more rare models, come and discuss your favorite robotic friends! Many droids serve their masters faithfully, others are their own masters and follow their own will. Just join a group and begin!

Astromechs: Many heroes could never get far without a competent and loyal sidekick, and none are more so than the unsung heroes of the saga: their little mechanic friends. Notable personages are R2 "Galactic Arm-Wrestling runner up (3 feet and under division)," Tonin the "King of the Droids," and Whistler the Runaway.

Protocol Droids: Stuffy, paranoid, self-absorbed droids who are in their element in high diplomatic and social functions. The most famous of these are C-3PO (who is fluent in six million forms of communication, did you know), Emtrey (Shut up), and TC-14 ("The ambassadors are Jedi Knights, I believe...")

Battle Droids: Efficient and, most importantly, cheap soldiers (depending upon the level: droidekas and magnaguards, not so cheap). Battle droids, SBD's, Droidekas, JK's, Magnaguards, and Basilisks fall into this category.

Specialty Droids: Droids like the HK line and the Tac-Spec Footman, or mining or research droids that are not as common in galactic history. Basically encompasses all droids not in the first three categories.

Or, y'know, we could just talk about stuff.
  2. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] Threepio has some of the funniest lines in the movies!

"I'm an interpreter, I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal!"

;) I'm in.

First question: When did Luke start being able to tell Artoo's mood in the Force? :confused:
  3. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey, a big droids fan here. And C-3PO is my favourite character. :D

But I think there is already a place like this here in EUC:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=25807764&brd=10194&start=25896625
  4. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    Hopefully the mods will let us keep this one because the other is locked. [face_praying]

[face_shhh]
  5. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    I asked before posting, they said it was OK. And I think Luke could talk to R2 in ESB:

*R2 does his little periscoping adventures* (see my icon ;) )
    Luke: "R2! That way."
    *R2 has more periscoping adventures*
    *R2 gets eaten*
  6. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    The way he whistles after Luke say that, tweee-tweet, sounds like "what way?". ;)

Hah, reminds me on animals in old Disney movies, like Cinderella where mice talk, but in a high pitched non-understandable way. If one listens closely, though, it is pretty much possible to pick up what the creature might be saying. Same with the Abu - monkey in Alladin.
    :p
    I think that Dagobah in ESB was the only R2 Disney moment, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone recalls something similar in any other movie?

EDIT: I can't type. *sigh*
  7. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] They really did terrific on Artoo's talking! I love it when he sounds worried or something. ([face_worried]) :p I'm going to do a SW marathon pretty soon hopefully. [face_praying] I'll have to watch for any Artoo/Disney moments. [face_mischief]

I love how Artoo treats Threepio, sortof tolerant. And he's always pushing him off stuff or manipulating him. [face_laugh]
    [face_laugh]
    Question: Were Super Battle Droids able to talk in AOTC?/>
  8. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    No, just the regular BD's.

Disney moments: not sure but here are some proposals:
    in TPM: talking to 3PO, Anakin, and JarJar
    in AotC: saving Padme, "this is such a drag"
    in RotS: nope. He's too awesome to be considered Disney
    in ANH: just after landing with 3PO; plays message then after farmboy removes the only thing keeping him there, runs off to complete his mission
    in ESB: already covered that, I think
    in RotJ: zapping the ewoks, "you're a feisty little one",

Also, you notice how he just spins and wheels through firefights (Tantive IV, Bespin) seemingly for the fun of it?
  9. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    Speaking of Disney R2 moments, this looks like one.
  10. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, he sort of has to. 3PO never takes him seriously, and you can't really explain things to him easily, can you? :p It is rather difficult to get him to stay silent.
    But yeah, R2 is quite a smart little droid. He managed to overcome many more difficult situations, he can handle 3PO easily. ;)

Looks awesome! :D
    Am I the only one, or does Wall-E remind you of ET? ;)
  11. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    Uh, sure. [face_plain] . Not that big a fan of ET, but I've only seen it once. I don't know, maybe it just looks cooler because of the Pixar-ness. :)

Sorry for not doing anything for so long.
    Um, any suggestions for discussion or something? I'm kinda new at this fanclub business.
  12. Mister_Master Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yay for droids. I want to join.

13. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome, M&M. I'm not in charge but as far as I'm concerned you can join. :p

Actually, who is in charge here? :confused: 8-}

:p So am I but I think we need a roster, it's all the rave, all the fanclubs have them. :p

The Droid Fanclub:
    Wierdest Kid in the World: TrulyGhent

Ha! Beat you to it M&M. [face_mischief]
    Actually, I think it's up to tjace, our founder, to choose our positions. ;)
    (Of course, if you don't give me the position I want, Ace I'll flunk you in the adoption program. [face_devil]) :p Just kidding.
  14. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Yup, we need a roster. It will be especially useful later on, when we assimilate the EUC and spread the artificial intelligence around. ;)
  15. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Anybody else feel that droids are an 'invisible' slave caste in the GFFA, or at least some of the clearly more sentient ones?
  16. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Sort of. They were primarily designed with one purpose, to do jobs organic sentients could not. So, it's no wonder they're being exploited throughout the galaxy and thus no wonder that there were a few uprisings and the formation of the Droid Liberation Front.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/65/3po_rebellion.jpg]
  17. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    Mwahahahaaa! Our slogan shall be: "We put the 'Artificial' in 'Artificial Intelligence.'" :p

[face_thinking]I think you're right. Poor droids. :( We need to liberate them/us from the tyranny of the "Squooshies." [face_mischief]

If your comment was supposed to be serious, [face_blush] I think you're right, but, are droids sentient?
  18. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    The comment was meant to be serious, yes. maybe I;m influenced a bit too much by Transformers and Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but whenever I see a droid being turned off by its 'master' or simply being tossed into garbage, I shudder a bit.

Some droids, I'll agree, aren't sentient. Gonk droids or treadwells, for instance. Protocol droids, YVH droids and Astromechs, among others? Hell, yeah. I honestly classify that as slavery and cruelty to sentient beings.
  19. Mister_Master Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We must exterminate the meatbags.
  20. Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master

star 4
    I love droids. HK-47 rules! :D :cool:
  21. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I guess that all of us would get the urge to deactivate C-3PO at some point if we spend enough time in this presence and our hands would reach out for that switch :p , however, I agree that it is an action that should not be taken lightly. After all, droids have proven to be greater friends to humans (and other species) than other organic beings. They do deserve respect.
  22. TrulyGhent Jedi Master

star 4
    Ditto the three above posts. :p Particularly the latter one! :p
  23. MarasFire Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. I remember classifying droids as sentients during the Yuuzhan Vong War -- with their belief that they were "artificial life" and unworthiness to continue existing -- because each of them have different personality, memories, purposes, etc. Artoo is the fiestiest little being I know, and Cappie, Whistler, Gate, and Zero-One are all very unique despite their all being astromech droids. I remember Threepio going through a period of being paranoid of death. I mean, what's their real difference from the other aliens in the galaxy? They aren't exactly created to obey, hence the restraining bolts that ensured their obedience.
  24. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6

That was one of my favourite moments of the NJO. :) I think that the authors really developed droid characters with the whole Yuuzhan Von hating droids thing, especially 3PO. I feel that in those moments they brought his character on a higher level. Even though there were a lot of mistakes with other characters in NJO and some little DelRey oversights, they did a decent job on the droids.
    (Droids didn't get as nearly as much attention as Jedi and others, but still, I enjoyed reading all that.)

In truth, they were created with that purpose by their makers. However, with the more powerful processors and cores and larger memories the intelligence was getting more complex. Organics needed that intelligence (e.g. medical droids), but with it came lack of blind obedience (which is pretty much like in humans). And even though there are different programmings against which a droid would not be able to operate, intelligence can probably lead to certain quirks, like with C-3PO ("It is against my programming to impersonate a deity."), who only behaves according to his programming and main function in ROTS (as Lucas said, his moment to shine at what he does the best, away from shooting and flying around - all of which he strongly dislikes).
    Anyway, I guess restraining bolts were needed to prevent behaviour like that, to prevent a droid to be a god to a tribe of furry little creatures. :p
  25. Mister_Master Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ok. we need some type of leader ship here. I vote Ace, Droid Commander.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.