main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rubies Supreme Edition Stormtrooper

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by martinh65, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinh65

martinh65 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2006
    Hey guys, has anyone actually seen one of these out of the box? I know that Rubies had one on display at Comic-Con, but I wanted to know if that was THE actual suit that is being sold. I am managing a Halloween Express again this year, and I am going to try to sell some of these if I can, and I just wanted to know how good or bad does it look up close and personal.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    To the average person who knows nothing about Star Wars costuming, they'd think it was awesome.

To costumers/people in the 501st: [face_sick] [face_sick]

It was atrocious.

3. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Miana is right. As a 501st GML, I would say that you are getting yourself hosed by buying this and thinking that it is an instant in with your local garrison. Seriously, for the money they are asking you'd do better to contact your local garrison and get a kit through them. That kit, when assembled, would look 1000x better that what these guys are producing. And, you local garrison can help you with the assembly and other goodies that people like to add to their costumes.

- Bill

4. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    agreed, very simialr situation to the Supreme vader.

thats what i started with. and after swappin out every single part for better stuff, i could of saved myself the 550 i spent on it in the first place.

5. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Don't even get me started on the Supreme Vader....

I am probably the only GML who doesn't have a problem with the Supreme Vader. I mean to each their own. Me, personally, I am not so anti Supreme Vader like most others are. Like I have said, time and again, that 5 year old doesn't notice the difference, doesn't see the difference. To that 5 year old, the guy in the suit IS Vader!

Sure there are thing about it that aren't 100% accurate. But then again, when is a costume ever really 100% accurate of the costuming props that were used in the movies? We all do the best we can to reproduce what was on screen and we do it to the best detail we can get. I can't stand it when people are splitting hairs on details that nobody even will notice. The 5 year old doesn't care... and after all, aren't we doing this for them?

I guess I just come from the unique perspective of have jerks who thought they were better than everybody else always running me down. Silver spoon elitists is all they were. They never knew hard times. In a lot of ways, I see the costuming elitists of the 501st, Rebel Legion and the Jedi Assembly much in the same light. Not saying every costumer is that way, but there certainly is a lot of them! And yes, I am calling out my own faction. I am 501st, and I'll be the first to admit there are elitist jerks in my Legion, in my garrison. I try like hell not to be like them. I try to encourage and support.

The only reason I would shoot down a costume piece is if I truly feel it doesn't reflect the franchise in a positive light. There are a lot of cases where there are costuming pieces that are simply crap. This Rubies Stormtrooper is one of them. As is some of CostumeBase's stuff.

Sorry guys... I am in a bit of a mood. Feel free to ignore my rants if you like.

- Bill

6. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Saw it at Comic-Con. It's like it came out of a seagull (white crap)! [face_laugh]

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202008%20July%2023-27/CC2008113.jpg]

[face_sick]

7. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Ugh! My eyes! I thought RotJ troopers were ugly, that looks like a super deformed version.

As Bill said above, yes if you are serious about wearing the tupperware, contact your local 501st Garrison. They can help you get suited up for a lot less and a lot better than that monstrsoity.

Of course I should say being an X-Wing pilot is way cooler... [face_whistling]

8. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Yeah.... I always wanted to do the X-Wing pilot. And someday, I will!

There are just so many choices. I'd like to do Corran Horn's green pilot suit, but let's face it, those fellas in Orange do kick some serious Imperial tail!

- Bill

9. JumpinJax

JumpinJax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't be too surprised when LFL starts having a say as to what's acceptable in the legion...they OWN it. Figures, books, they have legally and legitimately taken ownership of the 501st. Won't be long til they make a stink about bootleg costumes.

10. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I don't see that happening. They know how good the 501st and Rebel Legion fan made costumes are.

They aren't going to stop using us for things if we aren't wearing one of their licensed costumes.

And I don't believe they own the 2 costuming groups, they are owned by the fans.

They do have some control over them.

11. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Besides, Lucasfilm doesn't own either Legion. They are separate entities. However, there were certain legal agreements struck between all parties involved. We do adhere to some rules as dictated by the Great Flanneled Wonder, himself.

But that is mostly having to do with not making any money off of the franchise. In other words, we don't dress up in our costumes to earn a paycheck, rather we encourage the money that someone would have paid us to go to the host charity. We don't do this to get rich... if anything, this hobby puts us in the poor house!

- Bill

12. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005

shoot, my vader isnt 100% accurate either, and i dont care if it is. what matters to me, is i turned what i started with into something i take lots of pride in showing off.

13. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    LFL has tolerated unlicensed costumes in their service because they didn't HAVE a licensed stormtrooper. Now they do.
    Seeing their creation slammed on costuming boards isn't a good way to keep them happy, but I have seen nothing else. I don't think all that much of it, but dropping it in the trash figuratively won't go well.

14. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    Rubies just licensed the property,
    Lucas LMT approaves of the design and Rubies gets it made else where,

and I've heard Rubies gets allot of stuff made over sea's and the quality is [face_frustrated]
    I got my real garrison suit when I did the fan film 'Rogue' with Dave Buntson and
    it was around 800 and complete! inside wet suit . neck collar and boots! size 11 I might add
    but I wear a 9.5 lol:p

I wouldn't mind this suit for the person that doesn't know any better or wants filler in their collection, but not for a grand.
    maybe 450 0r 500 but a grand?

plus IMO when you do see a full garrison walking the floor of the comic con or the opening of EP3 in westwood. It is something truly amazing to behold.

15. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Lucasfilm_vs_Shepperton_Decision_updated_116626.asp

16. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    ?We do not intend to use this ruling to discourage our fans from expressing their imagination, creativity and passion for Star Wars through the costumes and props they make for their personal use,? Roffman said. ?Rather, we see the Court?s decision as reaffirming that those who seek to illegally profit from Star Wars will be brought to task,
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

So as before; if you make it for yourself than its ok.
    If you make it to sell on mass quantity than. we'll you would get into trouble. ;)
    But I still think its cool that they put in the article they still encourage the fans.
    and If you contact Lucas film lmt and get approved for a license agreement.
    Than your free and clear. Like Rubies and gentle Giant and Icons.
    or just hope you don?t get caught :p
    anyways, I love my suit and don?t want a cheap knock off, an its a shame the fans are providing better quality than even Lucas Lmt. allows.

17. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    They are referring to those folks who get the costumes for the sole motivation of hiring themselves out as clowns for hire, so-to-speak. We aren't making money with these costumes, other than what people donate to our host charities.

- Bill

18. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    true, I worked with some members of the 501st at the opening of ep 3
    in westwood at the red carpet event. I was dressed as ki adi mundi and
    they were patroling the event and EVERY person there was a volenteer and
    every person was energetic and pleasant.
    Really a great group of folks,
    and they do it for the love,[face_love] I know you can;t pay for that kind of
    loyalty. Man I wish I had georges resources to make a film fans would come to my
    events and suit up and make the events even more spectacular.!

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/IMG_0061.jpg]

19. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Dude.... that is an awesome Ki-Adi-Mundi!

- Bill

20. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    Thanks Bill
    I made him a part of my new star wars film.
    the 501st were opening for the red carpet event
    for EP3 in westwood and asked me to attend, I have to admit, I had a GREAT time!
    and the legion were allot of fun people to hang with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlwKWaf6U4

21. JumpinJax

Apr 11, 2006
    They own the NAME. It is their property. What they do with it is 100% theirs to decide. I didn't say they owned slaves :-B
    And statements made to comfort the fans aren't iron clad. They want you to keep trooping, but any good business knows when it's time to say who does what. When they tire of bootleg costumes, it won't be a happy time.
    Call it a hunch.

22. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    yeah JumpinJax
    that would be a truly sad day for George himself. I know I would officially
    turn in my member ship card and walk away.
    The only reason I enjoy star wars still to this very day is because of the 25 years I have had meeting friends old and new at conventions,. dressing up and having a great time at the dance after. (you've hanv't seen me do the bat dance yet!;)

But your right, it still doesnt allow us to bootlegg. maybe a compromise would work. like Lucas lmt would actually let the 501st ~make~ the costumes and give 1/2 the proceeds to charity?
    pay for the cost of materials and labor and the profit for the needy?o_O
    just thinking out loud.

23. gazgp69

gazgp69 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2008
    The jury is out folks.
    My wife works a halloween buyer for a local party store and had personnal connections to rubie's. As a birthday surprize, she bought me what I have been talking about owning for years....stormtrooper armor. It arrived last Friday. I love my wife for going through what she did for me and my dream.

However, I still am dreaming.
    It is the one that was displayed and pictured in a different entry here. The armor is made from durable plastic. The edges are not straight in many cases and the lines(on shoulder bells, forearms thighs, ect..) are not crisp. Rubie's did not look into how the original armor was worn. There is no rear cannister and boots are not included. Most thing could have been overlooked if the crowning jewel shone...the helmet.
    Not good. A one-piece cast it has no assembly extras...mic tips rubber strips. The mouth frown is way too steep and indented too much on either side of the nose ridge. The bubble lenses are too large and mounted outside of the helmet instead if inside like the correct way. It looks like the helmet is being choked.
    Some will say this looks cool. The rest that want accuracy, this is not for you. The hefty price tag is definately not worth it. Get an armor kit from the 501 st or ebay.
    Rubie's needs to ashamed of themselves for allowing this to be released. Didn't they look at it before packaging? When the prototype was displayed, did they really say, oh, that looks great?
    Some will think it's cool, but I still do not think it is worth the price.
    Steve

24. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you, man. That wasn't my intent.i find it irritating when people dictate to others that they have to upgrade to belong. If someone wants to upgrade for themselves, that is great. More power to them and I don't begrudge them for striving to be more accurate.

I just think that if someone wants to start with the Rubies Supreme, they shouldn't be looked down upon as a lesser costumer. It is that kind of elitism that I detest.

- Bill

25. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004

And that is the great thing about being in America. The first amendment gives us th right to express our opinions without negative backlash. If LFL wants costumers to wear the endorsed brand, then that brand needs to beef up their quality control standards to meet the satisfaction of the costumers who will be wearing them.

Until then, I reserve the right to speak my opinion of a product that I perceive to be inferior compared to those that I have seen available from other avenues.

Lucas may own names for trade mark purposes, but like I said, he does not own, nor does he have a right to claim ownership of the clubs, since they were started by another entity, altogether. Since the 501st name wasn't canonized until after the popularity of the costuming club, one could make an argument that Lucas couldn't lay claim to the 501st name, in the sense of trying to absorb ownership of the club. It would be a weak case, but one could make the argument. Albin Johnson made the 501st name for Star Wars, not LFL. They just canonized it and trademarked it after the fact.

- Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.