main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rudeness in the JC: Is it at a ridiculous level?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Iwishiwasajedi, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Stryphe: I think you may have hit on something--there are thousands of people here which means the place may just be too damn big to even expect politeness out of the majority of the people anymore. I hope this isn't the case because that's pretty sad. But I can see how it certainly makes rudeness harder to moderate.

However, I don't think this excuses the downright snappy responses I've gotten from a couple of moderators when I asked them to moderate something.

The reason I like the Senate Floor is because while discussion does get very heated there, most of the posters are adults and don't get personal when discussing the issues. I can point to a few people there whom I consider model posters--Darth Mischievous, irishjedi49, Bubba_the_Genius--I agree with these folks on practically nothing and strongly disagree with them on practically everything but I still would like to think we respect each other's viewpoints.

The Collecting forum, the Amphitheater and Fan Fiction are other places here where people seem to be more polite. The Movie Forums, however--I don't know what it is about these movies that gets people so riled (I actually think it's great that there are so many debatable topics) but the lack of respect for others' opinions there is astounding.

2. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    However, I don't think this excuses the downright snappy responses I've gotten from a couple of moderators when I asked them to moderate something

Which is why I never thought it paid to bother contacting mods about anything. From my experience, I can say that only ONE mod tried to help me during a particularly bad situation in the YJCC a few months back, one which I will admit left me so angry, I was in tears. (I am providing an example, since some people want concrete evidence). An unprovoked attack that came from someone over a comment I made about Britney Spears!!!!!! I wasn't insulting this person at all, and yet...WHAM!!!!! A comment about me as a person...no, more like a personal insult, made with an obvious malicious intent. It was noticed by a couple of other people in the thread, who thought it was uncalled for, and who pointed it out in the thread itself. And this comment, and the ensuing argument that erupted because of it, was certainly noticed by two mods...one who came in and said that if any more personal comments were made unrelated to the topic, the entire thread was being shut down. Another mod contacted me to ask if I was all right. But the original comment from the other user that started the whole thing was never edited out...which is odd, because I've seen similar comments of that nature edited out afterwards. To my knowledge, it's probably still there in the thread.

So, there's no point in going to the mods on things like this, not unless you're part of club, either as a member, or as a table. Otherwise, it's every man, woman, and whatever for themselves.

3. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Of course, some less-than-friendly comments might be overlooked by mods, but I think there's a simple reason for that.
    Reporting something like that always means: "I can't handle the situation myself and have to call for help now". To some people, this might be embarassing, and so they decide not to say anything at all. I don't know how many people here feel like that though, but it has happened to me before.

And I simply can't hear this " grow a thicker skin" argument any more. Sorry, but if someone tells me that one of my posts offended him, then I should feel bad about it and apologize - not the one who is offended.
    Of course, there might be some people who are more sensitive than others, but IMO you should consider that before you post. If something I want to post might offend others, then I don't post it - it's that simple. Okay, this won't work in each and every case - but does a little "sorry" really hurt so much??
    I guess not. On the contrary - it shows that you care about others and not only about yourself and that you're mature enough to admit that you might have made a mistake.

4. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Sorry, but if someone tells me that one of my posts offended him, then I should feel bad about it and apologize - not the one who is offended.
    Of course, there might be some people who are more sensitive than others, but IMO you should consider that before you post. If something I want to post might offend others, then I don't post it - it's that simple. Okay, this won't work in each and every case - but does a little "sorry" really hurt so much??

*round of applause* Exactly.

Sometimes people do say something offensive without realizing it, especially when they've had a bad day. I have done it--I know. But when someone tells me that I've offended them, I apologize immediately, and I don't understand why others can't do the same rather than saying "You're a wuss/you're a pansy/grow a thicker skin!"

It's about the right thing to do vs. the wrong thing to do, and we should not be protecting people's right to offend others.

5. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I've been reading through this thread for a few days. As a person who has experienced rudeness in the JCC, I think this is a topic that needs to be investigated. I know that rudeness that is found in the JCC in not tolerated at the same level in the Fan Force Forums (I know there was a thread a while back on JC vs. FF, I don't know if this was discused in it.)

In the Fan Force or at least I can say in the region that I am in, I know the RSAs are watchful for rudeness and inappropriateness because these people KNOW each other. Fighting, sarcasm, innuendo usually get warnings if not a ban.

As an example, I was once a subject of pointed sarcasm and rudeness in a thread. The RSA came in and warned the users who were rude to back off.

If rudeness and sarcasm are moderated in the FanForce, then they should be moderated in the JC. A simple "OK, mind your manners" or "Play nice, people" from a MOD could be all it takes to curb rude posts.

Just MHO.

6. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003

I swear there was a post there by Sape and the system ate it. [face_shocked]

7. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    If you have a specific situation where you feel there is rudeness and want to have a moderator evaluate whether it is crossing the line, PM that individual forum's moderator and they will check it out and get back to you. And as a general rule, be nice to one another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.