main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rugby World Cup 2007

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by jp-30, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I never thought I'd say this about any sport, but England seem to have the wood on Australia in Union, especially at World Cups.

2. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Damn. That's all I have to say.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Lol @ Australia.

And Dammit NZ! Want you to do one thing...

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  5. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If he's got five million to bet, I'll wager that losing it doesn't hurt him that much :p

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, it's all relative, but I'd say he's hurting right now.

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm not a betting man but even I fancied putting a few quid on the all blacks winning this world cup. Rugby and form guides simply don't go together I think :p

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    those are two bigtime upsets

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Fiji and Scotland are out now. So England play France next Saturday evening UK time and South Africa play Argentina next Sunday evening UK time in the semi-finals. Too bad Scotland lost - there was a potential there for England vs Scotland in the final.

11. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    This is a rugby question tangentially related to the world cup, so I hope someone out there can help.

I have been having a discussion with an Irishman who is of the opinion that part of the reason for their performance is that they don't play under the Tricolour and have Ireland's Call instead of Amhrán na bhFiann.

This lead me to think about the British and Irish Lions. It's only recently that the Irish have been included in the Lions setup {last two tours?}, before that it was just British Lions. My question is this: When the Lions tour, what flag and anthem do they use? and has this changed since the inclusion of the irish players?

Thanks in advance.

12. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    Irish players have always been a part of the team, it's just the name that was changed to British & Irish Lions in 2001.

I don't believe they use any nation's flag or anthem to represent the team, although they did try a song, The Power of Four, during the last tour.

(I think that last edit got it...)

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ENGLAND IN THE FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and LOL @ France :p

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    OH YES!!!!

(My yell sent the cat zooming into the bedroom. For a 17 year old cat she can still move..)

15. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Bloody Heck!

What an awful, awful game by England. Terrible and yet they have gotten through to the final.

They will hopefully play far better against SA/Arg or they won't have a hope in hell of retaining the WC.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh noes. England in the final. :(

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Lol @ teh Frogs.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    To be honest, I'm not that bothered about winning it. England have had so many detractors these past 4 years saying we didn't deserve to win in 2003, or it was a fluke etc. We've now got into the final for 2 competitions in a row. We've knocked out both the 2003 Runners-up and the host nation. That's not a fluke. Yes, we may get thrashed in the Final (although people said that would happen against both Australia and France), but we got through the group, and 2 knock-out stages.

It wasn't a great game tonight. In fact I agree it was an awful game, but England held their nerve. We got off to a flying start, then fell behind. We never gave up, and came through to win it.

2 finals in successive competitions. We have plenty to be proud about.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    All respect to France. They were ahead for most of the game, and I actually thought they were going to make it and beat us.

That said, we beat them, and now South Africa/Argentina await. I hope it's South Africa. Nothing would make me prouder than sweet, sweet revenge against the team than slaughtered us in the group stages.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like it is RSA vs England in the final.

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if you'd said to South Africa that they would face Fiji, Argentina and England to win the World Cup, they wouldn't have believed you. this tournament has been presented to them on a plate.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, it's do or die day for England. I hope they win!

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    As long as we get on the scoreboard this time, I'll be happy :)

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I guess you're happy then.. :p

Looks like RSA go home with the trophy.. :(

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd be happier if that try was allowed [face_plain]

But we gave away some silly penalties and SA took advantage of them. Got to the final though, and we did a lot better against SA than we did before, so happy with that.

Well done to SA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.