main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rule of Two: Sith vs Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Master Titus, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    Possible Spoilers Ensue:

I just finished reading Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and I was absolutely stunned by the ending of this book. Throughout the first 200+ pages of the book, I was underwhelmed. And then Drew Karpyshyn revitalized my interest when Darth Bane and Zannah faced off with the 5 Jedi.

The characters of Johun Othone and Valenthyne Farfalla grew on me throughout the book and of course I like Darth Bane and Zannah. I was conflicted throughout the entire battle on who I wanted to come out of the battle victorious(Obviously Bane and Zannah were going to survive the battle). Regardless, I was completely shocked and amazed how Darth Bane and Zannah obliterated the Jedi.

When Johun's arm was severed, and Farfalla decapitated(they were 2 of the main characters) I had a Game of Thrones vibe to the book. George Martin doesn't give a damn who your favorite character is, he'll get rid of them just as easily as he invented them. That is what happened in this book, I really like the Jedi characters but they were cut down with no remorse.

Overall, I thought the book was good, the huge battle definitely saved the book. But I wanted to hear your opinions on this book, and also want to hear other Star Wars books that left you utterly amazed and/or stunned!

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    There's a thread for the discussion of the trilogy http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-darth-bane-trilogy.50015669/]here[/url]. But as to this battle? Yeah, I was pretty much floored when Johun and Farfalla died. I had pretty much only seen or read SW books where the good guys won (I was only like 13 at the time). Sure, I'd read some of the NJO and knew Anakin Solo died, but in the end the good guys still won. When all of the Jedi died and the Sith won I couldn't believe it. I knew Bane and Zannah would not die, of course, but I figured they'd have to retreat due to injuries, or something. Not kill all the Jedi and get away pretty much scot-free.

Oh, and then kill Darovit too. I was horrified.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It is the recipe for literary success.

Riv_Shiel and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  4. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Well thanks for ruining NJO LOL

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Sorry, have you not read that yet? I forget after so long that there are people new to the fandom who wouldn't know what happened. :oops:

6. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Yeah, I guess when you are taken by surprise like that all the more credit to the author.

7. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Nope, I am following the Star Wars Legends Novels Timeline, and I'm currently on Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil. I've been a SW fan since I was young,(I came along 20 some odd years after A New Hope) but I am now just getting into the novels and so far I am loving it all :D

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    My bad!

Glad you're enjoying it, though. :)

9. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Thanks!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Beezlebub

Beezlebub Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2015
    It was a great scene in the book and it capitalizes on the fact that in a fight between force users there are no room for mistakes and in a fight with superior force users like Bane that a few variables can change the outcome of a fight.

rickyjr7306 likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I need a sarcasm font

rickyjr7306 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  12. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Oh, I see now :(

13. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Ultimately I knew what the result of the fight was going to be, because there was another book in the trilogy lol. But either way, it was still a little unexpected.