main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rules and Announcements

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jairen, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Hey all,

I know that many of you don't visit the other boards that often, but I wanted to point out that there is a new board:

Rules and Announcements

This board contains informational threads on many of the rules and restrictions that relate to these forums. Please take the time to go and read them.

There is now an updated Official Swear Word Restriction List on the forum now as well. Please take the time to read this, as it has been updated (so much so that some words that used to be banned have now been given limited allowance). Please be aware that I will be enforcing these new rules on these boards.

Swear Word List

Thanks

Jairen

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Excellent, now its much easier

Although I still think the TOS should have links to all this stuff, cos everyone who reads that will then know what is and is not acceptable straight away without having to navigate a forum they are not familiar with in order to find out.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    You read the TOS??????

:eek:

4. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    Whoever published that swear word list should be ashamed. I've never seen such language published on a message-board!

Some of them I didn't even know.

5. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    yes - that swear list has corrupted me too Baz - that swear list should be moderated itself so youngsters like me cant be exposed to that stuff? :eek:

[face_laugh]

glad its all getting there in black and white....but still no mention of how many strikes/warnings before you get banned...not like I am saying its a failsafe or owt, but some guidance would be appreciated...one minor warning and then a ban...two minor warnings...? I guess it still depends on what the action was and severity...but still a bit muddly me thinks...?

6. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    There is no specific warning system.

If you break the TOS, the decision on whether you are banned or not is dependant on severity of the incident, visibility of the incident, your admin notes (past history of breaking the TOS etc).

Thinking that there is a clear warning system with levels is not a good idea. You can't simply break the rules and say "well it's only the third time I've done it, so just a warning, yeah?" It doesn't work like that.

If you want to make sure you never get banned, simply don't break the rules.

7. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    thanks Phill! :)

as always - you are a star!

8. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Not allowed to use the word "Balls" in relation to ones testicles? Wow, the good ol' apple pie baking nation really have made their mark!

I see ****** is on the list too. It can be a slight insult but its a far cry from a swear word.

What if I use "****" in the context of hit and punch? This is a legitmate use of informal British English according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

[face_plain]

EDIT: No, you can't, and re-using it in this thread is not allowed either. Doesn't matter if it's informal British English according to Oxford. Site owner says no, so no it is.

9. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    lol Stu!!! for some reason i was reading yer post thinking it was DarthArsenal6 (i really must get my eyes tested :p ) and thought 'omg- his english typing hasnt half improved alot!' :oops:

lol and ya know we love ya, DA6, with all yer funny postings! ;)

10. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
  11. Darth_JDD

Darth_JDD Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    =D= Hi 'm a person who lives in the lagrange,Ga and your right that guy's post are funny LOL.[face_laugh]

12. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    EDIT: No, you can't, and re-using it in this thread is not allowed either. Doesn't matter if it's informal British English according to Oxford. Site owner says no, so no it is.

I know but its a shame that such a lack of common sense is permitted here is it not Jairen? I'm aware that its a private site yadda yadda yadda.... but I was merely making a point for discussion.

Jairen, what is your honest opinion on words with a dual meaning that are commonly used, say in one place and not another? I remember when I was RSA that I was constantly defending "regional understanding" because others found what was sometimes said on FFUK as distasteful because they didn't have sufficient understanding of regional language and humour.

13. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    I've seen the same bias to be honest, D_A, and it's difficult to fight it sometimes. I've got a little bit of leeway in respect of people posting within the confines of the UK boards, however that same leeway does not really exist anywhere else on the boards.

I too argued, for example the phrases "the dog's bollocks" and "the mutt's nuts", as being pretty standard fare here in the UK, and got some understanding regarding them and their use within the UK. However, I'm pretty sure that that was not an approved response (i.e. from the owner). The T word, with respect to someone being hit is another classic example, however there doesn't appear to be as much room to manuever with that one. It comes down to contextual use, and interpretation, something that is sometimes lacking on both sides.

Sometimes it can be very frustrating, dealing with what I see as a lack of cultural understanding of people outside the US, however, I bite my tongue a lot of the time.

14. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Indeed. Its one of the reasons I don't post as often here anymore - the nannying got to me!

I am reassured that we at FFUK still have an RSA that is an advocate of cultural diversity and understanding of the different usages of language and dialect but I ask this of you......don't bite your tongue too often!

15. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    ah its fine. stay in line and youre AOK! dont complain asabrush! [face_beatup]

16. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    thats called democracy Woodlebert ;)

17. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    I'll bloody complain whenever I feel like it, especially when I'm complaining about ridiculous PC rules and American sentimentalities! After 6 years of posting I'll complain when I see things changing for the worse.

Don't even get me started on the right to voice opinion.......

18. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Darth_Asabrush, you have a PM, please read it.
    I am interested, and you can continue via the PM or on here, about the "things changing for the worse" comment. I am interested in your opinions, since you voiced them only in here now, and not at all since I became RSA. So, I await your response. I said when I first became RSA, I will take everyone's view on the FF-UK under consideration. This is our forum, not mine.

19. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    I was responding to a post by woodlebert1 telling me not to complain. I have no new grumble other than the problems I faced when I was RSA. :)

20. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    ;) You just got me worried there for a sec lol :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.