main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rules Broken--Short Obi-Wan vignette--*Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VadersMistress, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Title Rules Broken
    Author: VadersMistress
    Timeframe: Shortly after ROTS
    Characters: Obi-Wan
    Genre: Angst. Short viggie
    Keywords: Anakin, Vader, Sith
    Summary: Obi-Wan looks back on his past mistakes with Anakin.
    Notes: This was written quickly and at 1:26 in the morning. Please be gentle. :D

Major spoilers. If you don?t want to know anything about anything, don?t read this. :D

?Even the best fall down sometimes.?
    Howie Day, ?Collide?

"You were the chosen one! It was said you would destroy The Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to The Force, not leave it in darkness. You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you, but I could not save you."

Matthew Stover, Revenge of the Sith.

A Jedi is forbidden to love.

I have tried my best to be a good Jedi. I have not wanted fame or fortunes, just the simple comfort of knowing that I was a noble Knight. But despite all of my best efforts, I have failed. I have loved.

No, I have not fallen in love, I have simply loved. I have loved a man like a brother and a son. We have grown together, helped each other through times of turmoil. But even at this, I have failed. A true brother is supposed to help his brother, to understand him. I have done neither.

When I should have listened, I spoke. When I should have acted, I sat back. When I should have disobeyed, I followed the rules.

And now, because of my mistakes, my brother is dead. When I finally understood what was happening, when I finally accepted it, I was too late. By that time, Anakin was too far gone. He had followed a path paved with good intentions. The intent to save the woman he loved. But in his very need to save her, he killed her.

I can?t help but think that if only I would have listened more, I could have stopped it. If only I would have opened my eyes and seen the signs and done something about it. I should have listened to Qui-Gon, instead I shut him out.

Sometimes I wake in the night, seeing Anakin?s face being worn as a mask for Vader.

I don?t sleep much.

When Anakin pleaded to me from the pit on Mustafar, my heart ached. I remembered every battle we had fought together, side by side, playing each others strengths and covering each other?s weaknesses. I remembered Qui-Gon bringing the little boy with shining blue eyes aboard the ship, even then intent on saving the woman in his life. I remembered him saving the galaxy at the age of nine. But mostly, I just remembered Anakin.

Which is why it hurt so much to leave him behind. We never left each other in battle. If one of us fell, the other would right him. And yet, there I was, leaving him behind and breaking the cardinal rule between us. And all it took was the simple act of turning around.

I didn?t even look back.

But, as I must remind myself nearly every day, I did not leave Anakin behind. I left a Sith to die. After all, a Jedi?s duty is to eliminate the Sith.

I am sure Master Yoda would have killed Anakin with his saber, but I didn?t have the strength for that. I couldn?t look him in the face and strike him down. I couldn?t kill the nine year old boy who helped me through the grief of losing Qui-Gon. I simply couldn?t. He was Anakin, my former Apprentice.

But no matter how much it hurt me to turn, I did.

The thing with Anakin is that he failed. He failed to bring balance to the Force, he failed to save the woman he loved, he failed the Jedi Order. And seeing him pleading to me with tears in his eyes caused anger to rise within my heart. Yes, I felt anger. Another rule broken. He was the Chosen one, the one the prophecy said would bring balance to the Force and make everything right again. Instead, he made everything worse. This is why I had the strength to leave.

I nearly died during my battle with Anakin and the Force has told me I will die when I meet him next. The boy I raised, who raised me, will also kill me.

Because of this it is imperative I train Luke when he is old enough. Luke is

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautiful job with this. I really felt both Obi-Wan's pain at leaving Anakin behind as well as his resignation that he had no choice - his Padawan as he knew him was already gone. Heartbreaking viggie, VM.

3. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Excellent. Obi-Wan's pain just radiated off of him. It was practically tangible. And you really have to feel sorry for him, having to go through that.

4. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    How wonderfully heartbreaking that was! Poor Obi-Wan, to have suffered that way, knowing that Luke was the hope of redemption for both himself and Anakin. At least it strengthened his resolve to watch over Luke, even as he knew the boy's father would one day kill him.

Bravo! :)

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You know how much I love this one! =D=

6. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely, VM!!!

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Excellent job!! Man that was so moving! [face_love]

Poor Obi-Wan :( I loved these lines:

But, as I must remind myself nearly every day, I did not leave Anakin behind. I left a Sith to die. After all, a Jedi?s duty is to eliminate the Sith.

I am sure Master Yoda would have killed Anakin with his saber, but I didn?t have the strength for that. I couldn?t look him in the face and strike him down. I couldn?t kill the nine year old boy who helped me through the grief of losing Qui-Gon. I simply couldn?t. He was Anakin, my former Apprentice.

But no matter how much it hurt me to turn, I did.

How true...and how much it will torment him for the rest of his life. :_|

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Gina: [face_blush] Thanks. Like I said, I was listening to my iPod at 1:30 in the morning, trying to beckon sleep when the idea hit me. It wouldn't let go either! :) Thanks for the kind words.

Altheia: Thank you so much. For me, Obi-Wan is a difficult character to write, so I am glad to hear that I did an okay job. :D

Jemmiah: Thanks, Master! Obi-Wan was so close to Anakin that I wanted to make it seem real.

VaderLVR64: [:D]

Jedikma: Thank you so much!!!

Kynstar: Thank you! The encouragement does me good. LOL! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback and compliments! @};-

~*~VadersMistress~*~

9. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Thank you for letting me know you posted this! I love it! Your talent shines through as always.

10. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Talk about the road to hell being paved with good intentions! (At least for Anakin. And a good many other people.)

Poor Obi-Wan--you could just feel his pain.

11. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Wow, Megan, that was amazing. My eyes watered up, which is a rarety for me while reading fanfic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.