main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rules of Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by THE_MISSING_TRIPLET, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    oh so just by switching around the words you have two different titles?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    THE_MISSING_TRIPLET: Pretty much, yes. :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I once theorized (I'm sure others have too) that those who follow the Unifying Force closer use a blue lightsaber, those who follow the Living Force more use a green, and those who follow the dark side use red, of course.

One thing that led me to believe this is how Anakin fought with both blue and green against Dooku, symbolizing the defeat of the dark side through the balancing of the two philosophies of the light side.

4. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Interesting Jedi_Master201, but I just want to comment on Anakin's use of a green saber.
    I think too many people think too much of him using a green saber. Whether it's the theory of him "rebelling" of "tempting the dark side" or "Jedi who use green always die or are injured"... and now the theory of green representing the "living force".

Whether or not any or all of the above is true, I'd just like to remind everyone that Anakin was thrown the green lightsaber in the Arena battle. He did not choose this color directly or indirectly. I think that people make too much out of this. GL just wanted to add some variety by having one Jedi use green and another use blue.
    And perhaps he was saving the use of 2 blue sabers for ep3 like many of you (myself included) are hoping for :D

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    As for who lights their saber first, my thoughts centered more on who the aggressor was at the time. The duels in ANH and ESB show this quite well. Ben is focused on finding Vader and distracting him from the escape. Vader simply knows that Ben is there and wants revenge, which could explain why his saber is already lit before Ben sees him.

In ESB, Luke (who has only partially completed his training and is still somewhat vulnerable to his emotions and the Dark side) lights his saber first in trying to take on Vader. Vader then sees his opportunity to try and lure Luke to the Dark side and ignites his saber shortly thereafter.

In ROTJ, Luke is especially vulnerable. He knows the truth about Anakin/Vader, is trying to sway his father over to the Light side, and yet has to keep his emotions in check or Palpy will seize upon them. While Luke DOES ignite his saber first, and he lashes out at Vader, we see the choice he has made when he pauses, deactivates his lightsaber, and then casts it aside stating that he is a Jedi.

The first saber scene with Maul in TPM clearly shows him to be the aggressor and already has his saber lit. The Hangar Duel is a bit different where Qui Gon and Obi Wan see Maul and take a pre-emptive strike by lighting their sabers prior to Maul. This could be seen as something of an aggressive move, but since Maul has already tried to strike down Qui Gon, an exception to the rule could be argued here as it's alrady known that Maul is the aggressor.

The same would also appear to be true with the lightsaber scenes in AOTC as well, but Anakin and Obi Wan's entrance into Dooku's hangar would also be something of an exception as they also know Dooku is a threat and is clearly the aggressor.

Again, just a theory of mine, but I figured I'd bring it up here and kick it around with the rest of you.

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Blue = Jedi

Green = Jedi

Red = Sith

Purple = Mace Windu

It couldn't be any simplier then that.

7. JediMerlin303

JediMerlin303 Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2003
    red= evil

If I remember Correctly, in the Essential Guide to Characters, it says that LEIA has a RUBY lightsaber...even though that is the EU

8. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    The EU also has white, teal, yellow, orange, etc, lightsaber colors.

9. lil_jedi_blondie

lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    In the EU(I know but it works as a good example) some of the kids at the temple have red sabers. I can't think of names off hand(I am horrible with names) but I remember reading about a couple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.