main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Ruminations on Stupidity: A one-shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rabideuphonium, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rabideuphonium

rabideuphonium Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Title: Ruminations on Stupidity
    Author: rabideuphonium
    Timeframe: approximately 10 years pre-TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC
    Genre: wierd... er.... drama?
    Summary: A different perspective on the Jedi

Well, this is my first Star Wars story ever, so I hope I'm doing this right! [face_praying]

Beta'ed by my master, the dedicated LilyHobbitJedi, without whom I would still be lurking...

[b]Ruminations on Stupidity[/b]

All it is, is stupid. Stupid to care so much while caring so little; stupid to open your heart for the shrewd to see.

Or to exploit.

Jedi show no emotions; Jedi have no emotions. That?s stupid too. They?re sentient, aren?t they? They have conscious thought; they experience the world just as the rest of us. They share the galaxy with us. How could they not feel anything about it? Is it some sort of twisted psychological game that they play, the stoic mask and the guarded face? Not that they need bother; the hoods alone are enough to ward off prying eyes.

Especially those which would see the emotions that do not exist.

At least most of them make an effort. Most of them seem to care that there is someone watching their every move; seeking their weakness. A stupid tactic; the physical weaknesses are few. They?re Jedi after all, aren?t they? They don?t grow old and they don?t suffer injury. If they are hungry or thirsty they conjure sustenance from the atmosphere. What weaknesses are there to utilize?

Not any physical ones.

They float around with glowing swords and blazing eyes. They are adored by all; even if their swords blaze too brightly and their eyes never glow. After all, they?re Jedi, aren?t they? Their tongues never tell falsehoods and their ears may discern the motive of a man from the merest mumble. A stupid concept. If they know so much, why do they not help others?

And will they help themselves?

Is it a noble Jedi philosophy that one must not use one?s powers? Is there a reason that they stand by and do nothing while so many suffer? Of course there is: there is logic behind it all. Stupid logic, but logic nonetheless. Save one and you abandon another. Rescue the passengers of the burning ship and the pilot perishes. Make peace between two warring civilizations and a third starves.

Save neither and experience no guilt.

Turn your back and never try. Save neither but spare your conscience. How can you mourn those who you never met or refused to meet? The perfect solution to the unfortunate necessity of emotions. A stupid solution. Say no and lose no sleep over those lost. Others can do that for you. After all, others are allowed emotion when the Jedi are not.

In any case, they will all die.

They will all die, only this way they will have no part in it. They cannot mourn someone to whom they are not attached. So spare the attachments and save your soul. A perfectly stupid philosophy. It would work perfectly if there were no other people in the galaxy.

If we were all alone.

Maybe the Jedi are all alone. All alone in the great galaxy full of people. Alone in their stupidity. Maybe they really don?t see the people around them: the man in his business suit about to inherit an illegal fortune, the child in his rags about to catch a chill,
    or the couple in their finery about to perish in the wreckage of their burning speeder.

The boy in his robes, who is about to disappear from the safety of the Republic transport.

What will the Jedi do for all of these? Sit snugly in their gilded temple, assuredly. Walk past without a second glance, assuredly. When one has the busy work of saving the galaxy on one?s shoulders, one is allowed this privilege. A stupid privilege. After all, looking once is safe, but two glances might form attachments.

And we couldn?t have that now, could we?

Whatever they do, it will not matter to me. I have paid my dues already. I have made my sacrifice on the altar of emotions and attachments. Maybe I am a Jedi now, for I no longer harbor either of these. There was no second look at m

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You are doing it most right rabideuphonium .

You've shown us an excellent and most profound perspective on Jedi life, even from within.

Bravo!! =D=

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    A wonderful first story, Padawan! You did a terrific job! [:D]

I love this because it shows a perspective on Jedi that is not really shown much. I really don't think anyone else has done a piece quite like this before. The inner monologue is simply amazing. Not to mention I LOVE the title.

=D==D==D==D=

4. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    *Brentus hobbles in, leaning on his cane, his gray hair in his face*

Eh? What's that? My grandiwan posted her first story?

Dagnabit, I- oh, wait, it's good!

*stops shaking cane at grandiwan*

*smiles at grandiwan*

Good job!

*hobbles away to the Old Master's Home*

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Strangely compelling. Well done.

=D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Unique and powerful! =D=

Will it be simple to walk away when there have been so many glances? Will the decision come so easily when the emotionless mask has slipped and the feelings have been exposed? Will you still be able to walk away, Master Jedi? Let the others mourn for him, as they have for so many of the others you refused to save. After all, take no action, and feel no pain. It?s so simple, really.

I can see that you are definitely a talented new addition to the boards! :D Welcome! [:D]

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Welcome and thank you for the new perspective on the Jedi. Love your insights and style.

Well done!=D=

8. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Will it be as simple to let him go?

Will it be simple to walk away when there have been so many glances? Will the decision come so easily when the emotionless mask has slipped and the feelings have been exposed? Will you still be able to walk away, Master Jedi? Let the others mourn for him, as they have for so many of the others you refused to save. After all, take no action,
    and feel no pain. It?s so simple, really.

Isn?t it?

Take no action and feel no pain!!! "Who are they trying to kid"
    They feel pain, they just wont admit it
    It is so simple "They lie to themselves"
    Is it so simple!!

That was simply excellent=D=

9. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Well, this was perfectly un-stupid. Very interesting point of view - blunt, but very logical.

I love the insight on the Jedi Order's self-deception - It was always a nagging detail to me.

Great writing. I hope to see more from you.

10. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    =D= That was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Turn your back and never try. Save neither but spare your conscience. How can you mourn those who you never met or refused to meet? The perfect solution to the unfortunate necessity of emotions. A stupid solution. Say no and lose no sleep over those lost. Others can do that for you. After all, others are allowed emotion when the Jedi are not.

In any case, they will all die.

:eek: Wow. Well done. Very, very well done.

Love how this flows all the way to the end, like someone sat down and mused on it for a while.

Good story. :)

12. quintocanto

quintocanto Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2006
    hi

I had to red two time your story before trying to write a reply.
    it was sad and at the same time almost paceful. at lest so it seems to me.

13. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    The title caught me as I was roaming around looking for a giggle, but this turned out to be really profound.
    Nicely done!

I especially liked this,

After all, looking once is safe, but two glances might form attachments.

And we couldn?t have that now, could we?

Bravo

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Superb. Unique, almost - it's a perspective on the Jedi we don't see very often, and yet probably more representative of the galaxy in general's views. A beautifully fluid narrative, too - the narrative voice never rings false.

I love it. Great work.

15. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    If this is your first story, the rest of your fics must be awesome. :D

How can you mourn those who you never met or refused to meet? The perfect solution to the unfortunate necessity of emotions.

I loved that! In fact I loved the whole vig because I personally think these ideas had a big part in the Order's downfall. You conveyed such palpable anger and bitterness, and it was a great piece from an outsider's point of view. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.