main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Rumor, but according to Bleeding Cool(which was reporting on a rumor) Disney plans to release the old Trilogy in it's original form.

Makes sense. Release the original original original Trilogy just in time for the new movie that is a sequel to the original trilogy.

READ HERE

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'll believe when I actually see the commercial.

kubricklynch and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    They'd need to have bought the rights to distribute all of the three original trilogy films.

As it stands they only get the rights to ESB and ROTJ in 2020 and ANH stays with Fox indefinitely.

I'd be all over this if it did happen though

Please let this be true

4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    You can pray for that to be true all you want, but it isn't. Lucasfilm has gone on record saying that the six films are canon. Just another bit of wishful thinking from someone who doesn't like the prequels.

mes520, VMeran, Andy Wylde and 8 others like this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, they can't, they don't own the rights.

Kao Cen Darach and Darkslayer like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Bleeding Cool is largely a rumor mill website and not to be taken completely seriously.

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't put anything past the Mouse. As I said I'll believe it when I see the ads.

8. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually, with the 2011 blu-ray's release, it's now become the original original original original Trilogy....[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It says changes from the 04 release. What about the 97 version?

The PT thing is completely bogus.

Kao Cen Darach and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    cool idea. i don't care that much but the people that do should be happy.

Kao Cen Darach and Samnz like this.
  11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    In the time since the original deal, I doubt Disney hasn't found a way to secure ANH, and distribution before 2020.

Either way, these films are getting another release next year, I can gaurentee it. It may just be the same disks with movie cash, or individual releases, but they WILL be released.

If anything, we may have to wait till 2020 to get a 1-9 box set with the originals. Disney will own New Hope, it's just a matter of time and money.

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If this happens, it will be my first purchase of a Star Wars film on Blu-ray. If not, Episode VII will get that honor.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I intercepted a message board post that says the Ewoks are being phased out and reduced to "Legends." This would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new Return of the Jedi movies featuring Luke, Han, Walrus Man, etc.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    One day when Disney gets the distribution rights back and can work a deal with FOX it will probably happen but it's not happening anytime soon and first they are going to get the digital releases of the current versions out.

Darkslayer and Andy Wylde like this.
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I can't see this happening anytime soon (it WILL happen one day) Too much to work out between Disney and Fox.

As for the stuff about Disney effectively throwing the PT on the scrap heap and remaking it, again, no. Seems like a lot of fanboy BS to me. Does anybody seriously think Disney (or Kathy Kennedy for that matter) would be so disrespectful to George Lucas and his work to do that - Especially why he is still alive?

Sure, the ST will reflect the OT much more than the PT in terms of tone and style, but the Prequels are not being removed from canon or being remade while Lucas is still alive and probably not even when he's dead.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I won't bet on anything. Big Money often acts like it can do anything.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd bet on an OT reboot before a PT one. If audiences ever start to tire of Disney's next generation, seems only logical that they'll go back to the origin story that is Luke, Vader, the Death Star, etc.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That depends on who they are aiming at. Many don't like the PT. That may be even more unwise than the Legends decision was.

19. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I could see them eventually re-releasing the unaltered OT, but there is no way they reboot the prequels. They made boatloads of money for Lucasfilm and they were still critically well-recieved, despite what RedLetterMedia likes to tell you.

This rumor reeks of OT-purist wishful thinking...

Andy Wylde, KINGKONG83, rways and 7 others like this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Isn't George Lucas a major share-holder in Disney? Half of his payment for selling Lucasfilm and Star Wars was issued in shares, making him the second biggest share holder in the company (after Steve Jobs estate)

As a major shareholder and investor I imagine he'd have something to say about any of his films being trashed and remade.

It may happen at some point in the future when he's dead, but as with the O-OT on Blu-Ray part of the article, it's not happening any time soon.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think many are simply jumping at shadows. I don't like rumours.

22. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    This is merely a rumor I am sure. However, I want it to be true.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Just a rumor and is fake.

Jedi Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That's what people have been saying for years about the movie rights to Spider-Man and X-Men, yet we're still waiting.

Some things are just too valuable to sell. Star Wars could very well be 20th Century Fox's most valuable commodity. They won't be selling their golden goose, though I am optimistic the 2 companies work together and allow for box sets and joint releases.

Gemma likes this.
  25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I don't quite think the comparison is applicable. Sony is still releasing spider-man films. Disney now holds all future rights to the Star Wars franchise, and fox won't see much money from just owning a new hope. If anything, they may work out a deal where one gets theatrical RE-distribution rights (every few years a RE-release, maybe in 3D or some such) and the other gets home video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.