main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, but clearly a part of doing it for himself was so that other people would see the movies the way he intended them to be seen. Otherwise, why even release the new versions to the public?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Many motivations are possible, from petty revenge to wanting to share his favorite versions with others. Many possibilities.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because there's no point in making those changes if it's only for his own private collection. He was doing it so it would be out there in the public view, but it wasn't for the fans. Hence his desire to not release the unaltered versions after 1996 and when he did in 2006, it was only for a limited run like before.

Revenge against whom?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Revenge against the mean, mean fans.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The fans were nowhere nearly as vicious in the 80's as they were in the late 90's. Releasing the SE's and then the disappointment of TPM is what brought out the venom.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It shouldn't and doesn't bother me at all but the point is that you can't guarantee that of the regular audience which the SE's were intended for.

Except they really aren't are they? They are always made to look much better than that. They are scanned from the O-Neg and restored to an ideal and enhanced look you could not actually get at that time.

I know but there are people who look at some of those films in derision. They are not "fans" per se. Just people who watched them at the time and compare them to now and find them lacking because they don't look modern enough.

Most of the SE's are the original work simply done using then modern techniques which did make them look way better than could be done at the time.

Well it's all part of the same thing really. What pleases him has shown over and over and over again to please viewers via the ultimate vote at the box office. Why would better VFX work be something that you would actually be against?

Actually there were it's just that the tools to voice that displeasure didn't exist to the same extent.

Mod edit: Again, films, not fans. Don't presume to generalise upon the opinions of anyone else.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If you ignore the voice of the customer, you will soon don't have any anymore. The customer has spoken on amazon and other platforms. Disney would be wise to listen to him.

There's no harm in restoring the original versions. None whatsoever.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Before this thread degenerates into a predictable flame war that can and will be easily locked, I'll say this one more time - films, not fans. Judging other users/fans, making broad assumptions about their their motivations and feelings, then labelling them based upon opinions regarding the topic at hand (which, despite the obvious controversy, is essentially about the restoration of a film released in 1977) is not acceptable.

Have a nice day.:)

TX-20, Ewok Poet and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

George Lucas, the famous and successful filmmaker, didn't spend untold amounts of time and money updating his films in order to (somehow) get revenge against some ill-defined, amorphous group of "mean fans" who never even wronged him in any tangible way. That's ridiculous. That's all that can be said about that notion.

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Whatever has this to do with his stardom and success? Do you think that just because someone is more famous and successful means he is a better person?

*cough*Roman Polanski*cough*

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's too far of a comparison. The fact is that Lucas didn't do it to spite you, or any one else. What he did was for himself.

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Back on topic, folks - and the storm of controversy that surrounds Roman Polanski certainly isn't a part of it, not even closely relevant. Try the JCC for such discussions.

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    At the point of those films being made though the effects were light years better than anything so they were in the main something that didn't seem earth bound. Thats not how I remember them being received. They may look like that now because of the advancements of special effects technology, but I was always under the impression that Lucas went back and changed them to improve them / expand the scope as technology had advanced to such a degree.

It was me that posted above you, was it in relation to this comment I made?

That was in reply to a previous post about matte lines on effects. All I was saying is that it would still be the original theatrical release content wise even if they did go back and correct the matte lines, its still the same film in effect, just cleaned up, like they did with Raiders recently for instance.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right which is why Lucas changed ANH more than he did the other two. We've seen his own words on what he wanted to change on that film, whether you agreed with them or not. And the fact that he kept some of the more weaker effects like the Falcon drifting lazily to the left rather than putting in a new shot of it doing maneuvers like in the later films is telling. He was still proud of certain effects, but others he felt needed to be changed. Stuff he couldn't do or do as well, like Mos Eisley and many shots at Yavin 4, received the most attention. What was changed on the later films fell under different catergories, one part what he couldn't do or do as well, and one part tying things together.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, but those are still changes to the original films. They are lesser in magnitude, but they are still changes that go beyond a simple thing like "cleaning up the picture." They're special effects updates. The film looks different than it did in the original version--the comparatively primitive compositing effects on display in the original pins the film down to a specific time in the 80s, while the updated version looks more similar to a film coming out today.

My point is, you don't seem to have a philosophical problem with the changes. You simply have a problem with the implementation. You and George Lucas both agree that it's okay to update films to make them look more modern. You just disagree on how far you should go with it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    You make some very strange leaps and assumptions based on very little other than an innocuous discussion about the possible removal of matte lines only. No more no less.

Just to draw a line under it before you put more words in my mouth, I have no problem with the originals whatsoever.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006

That's part of the story. Completely blocking theaters from showing the original versions is another.

The films weren't made today.

Darth_Pevra and lovelikewinter like this.
  18. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    The updated versions look nothing like films coming out in this decade.

The CGI for the redone Mos Eisley introduction is garbage - the speeder driving past the camera with C3P0 sitting on the back particularly is like late 90s video game CG! bad.

19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

Well, it was done in the late 1990s...

But yeah, they don't look like films released in 1997, they look like 1970s/1980s films with a heap of CGI thrown in later. The effects that don't stick out like a sore thumb are basically the original ones with noticeable flaws removed (transparencies and matte lines etc). The only real exception is the interior of Cloud City being opened up.

20. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    And even that is woefully inconsistent. After three different Special Editions, ILM still hasn't fixed the moment during Vader's appearance where the original background reasserts itself.

sharkymcshark likes this.
  21. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

That's basically exactly the point though, isn't it?

If Lucas was intent on making the films look 'modern' then it's a similar endeavour to trying to empty a leaking boat with a bucket. The evolving nature of special effects techniques means that it will never be done. What looks modern now will look fake in 15 years, and as a byproduct you end up with the Frankensteinian mashup of footage created across five decades (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

Darth_Pevra and Darth_Nub like this.
  22. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Don't forget sending out people to confiscate any non-SE prints that they become aware of. The only original cut of Star Wars showing I'm aware of in recent years was on a theater's last day.

If he would have given us a choice, this would never have been an issue. But he was an idiot about it.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

Yes, exactly the point. That said, though, there is still the exception of the Cloud City modifications (which were done for the ESB 1997 SE, not later ones), which looked great - largely because they were subtle and worthwhile. It is possible to enhance an older film, but it needs a delicate touch, and a genuine reason to do so.

GL would have liked to have had a more elaborate Mos Eisley in 1977, but he couldn't do it, so they made do, and it worked. It was a dusty, nasty, desert ****hole, the "armpit of the galaxy", as it was referred to in SOTE, exactly where you'd expect to find criminals willing to offer transport with no questions asked. It was never going to win any Tidy Town awards, nor was it meant to, and it wasn't the sort of place that needed large, impressive structures. Only thing missing was a bordello, but SW was a family film, after all.
    Building on top of this sleazy backwater with 1990s CGI simply wasn't necessary. Mos Eisley was what it was - a dump. Besides, there was Mos Espa to play with in Episode I anyway, should such a large Tatooine city ever needed to be exhibited.
    Instead, the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" was expanded into more of a thriving desert metropolis for no good reason whatsoever.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006

"If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it." - GL

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, New York City was pretty bad with crime and yet it's a thriving metropolis. I think that Mos Eisley and Mos Espa represent major city capitals like NYC and LA.

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.