main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, what? We see the Stormtroopers standing in front of the landspeeder. We see the brief interrogation, the mind trick and moving along. So what don't we see? A few seconds of the speeder coming to a halt and the Stormtroopers walking up to it? Really? That's nothing.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Now you are getting into other issues besides the technique filling the screen. The point of the Ronto was already touched upon.

Troll the OT?

LOL!

You don't seem to read what I say but what you want me to say. I guess I should say in response " I don't know what his reasons are to troll the PT, but I don't really care either."

I think I have quite ably illustrated the difference between restoration and alteration.
    The above from the SE is NOT the true original work. It's that work's separate elements recomposted to try to match it as well as to make it better plus any changes that were done for the SE's. If you do all the work over again digitally then you simply are not getting the actual originals which some people supposedly want. So what they really want is another SE but one that looks like the theatrical versions.

There is a way to actually have the originals and restore those by going to the separation masters to recreate the films in negative form and then do any basic digital work for scratches etc but actually have them be the actual originals as seen on the left above.

Andy Wylde, Palpatine77 and Seagoat like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A busier Mos Eisley is cool but just like the Jedi Rocks stuff, takes away from the scene. It's too busy. Keep it simple or tone it down. It's cool wondering who the heck all of these people are and what their histories are but the scenes are way too obnoxious imo.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Stormtroopers approaching and the beginning of the conversation, neither of which are "nothing". Every second counts.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, it is. There's nothing lost by seeing the Ronto.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In your opinion

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I only wish it looked better, because it looks pretty bad in the scene. Still, I can live with it because I don't feel I am missing out on anything. But I can see how others are bothered by it.

8. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Yes, releasing the OOT would be a great idea. If you prefer the prequels or SEs, and even if you don't, there are people who do ... imagine if you wanted to buy them on BluRay, but you were told no, it's not available. Or worse, you were able to buy it, but at the end of ROTS, when Anakin gets his Vader suit, Jar Jar Binks suddenly pops out of nowhere and ruins the moment. That's about how OOT fans feel until now.

We would just like to have the remastered OOT. If someone wants to watch a different version, that's fine, they have the ability to do that and I certainly won't be telling them they can't watch their choice. But OOT fans are the only ones who have been denied the SW they know and love. Releasing the OOT would make us happy, and then all SW fans would be happy.

I know I personally will not be seeing the ST unless the OOT is released. But if the OOT does get released, sure I will go to the theater with my family and see the new films.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Jar Jar does pop up in the BR-OT!!!

10. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014

Some people seem more concerned over the idea that the prequels may disappear from canon than they are from possibility that the original versions of the OT may disappear from the face of the earth - unbelievable! o_O

11. HeadingSouth

HeadingSouth Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    I really hope that Disney do release the Unaltered Original Trilogy.
    I don't see the harm in having both the Unaltered and Special Editions out.
    If Disney do release it however, it needs to be better than a laserdisc scan this time.

darklordoftech and Palpatine77 like this.
  12. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm with Six on this. For example, I like the change of the interior of the snowspeeders(non transparent) but I disliked every added scene or bit of dialogue.

13. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    What is this human interaction you speak of? :)

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Really? Where? There's a Gungan voice, but that is not Jar Jar.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    If given the choice, is a straight up Blu ray of the OOT preferable to a completely restored and "improved" version of the OT (such as what was done in removing matte lines and film grain in the SE)? No actual changes to anything that is generally considered positive, such as the Jawa Sandcrawler or Bespin... just straight up flaw correction that ultimately would be considered changes to the originals.

16. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    There are a lot of people who don't want any alterations to the originals ... even other directors like Spielberg have said that things like visible strings and matte lines should remain in film restorations as a testament to the fact that movies are flawed but still great productions created by human beings. Personally, I don't feel as strong about that issue and would be willing to settle for a remastered release of the '93/95 versions, but I sympathize with people who want only the original cuts and nothing else. Maybe they would be better, I don't know because I've never seen the theatrically release versions. What I do have are the '95 VHS tapes and also VHS copies recorded off cable from the early-mid 1980s. I can't tell much difference between them, but they are way better than the DVD set my sister has. Sure, the technical quality is faded and surpassed by the DVD versions, but from a storytelling and charm perspective the original versions are far superior. No CGI Jabba scene, no Greedo shooting first, no "how did R2 get behind those rocks?", no celebrations on Coruscant, no spoiled brat Hayden ghost, etc.

Things I don't mind are the changes in Bespin (except there is one specific shot after Lando sounds the alarm that I really detest); the Wampa shot ... I guess some people think the change ruins the suspense of the scene, but I don't mind it too much.

smoothkaz likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^

Darth_Pevra and Seagoat like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I do not see a problem with both editions being available either. I'd love to own a nice version of the original trilogy on any format. C'mon Disney, make it happen.

19. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    He's right. Apart from the historical value of keeping the originals intact, I actually respond better if I can see the effort involved and if what I see on screen is relatable. It has to work on a subliminal level. The mind does tricks, if you know something is not real and yet everything is too 'perfect', the mind rejects it (at least my mind does). There has to be space for the imagination.

20. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Really hope these rumours are true. I held off buying the Box set on Amazon's lightning deals for this!

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I am content to wait. I will not buy BRs until an acceptable version is available.

22. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    It seems like what people want is a Special Edition without the altered scenes (or maybe a few that they liked), NOT the truly original version of the films. They want the imagery cleaned up and converted to 1080p. If this wasn't the case, the LaserDisc rip that was included in the 2006 DVD set would be good enough but its not.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nope, I don't want conversion. I want this:

Scan the O-Negatives, clean them up (since they have sadly deteriorated) and give us the biggest possible resolution you can get from this (since film has a natural higher resolution than 1080p, it should at least be 1080p).

The laserdisk rip is bs!!! The O-negatives have a much higher resolution than that. It is NOT the best result you can get from scanning the actual O-negatives.

Filmstock doesn't have "weak resolution" like many claim, it has a high resolution. Back then it was just not possible to transport all the information on VHS, but even those look better than the dvd versions of the OT we got right now.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It depends on the person. I'd be fine with either an original cut or a cleaned up original cut. But altered scenes and curtailed dialogue? No thanks.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I would like to see those as well but if they did versions that are seemingly "authentic" that none but the most ardent fans would notice would it really matter?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing is if the rocks were there in the first place and taken away they'd be upset. It's not about the rocks it's about the change. The reason R2 can get behind the rocks is because he's in a 3 dimensional world which we are looking at it in 2D.

As for the "charm" factor Eternal Hero put it very well on the PT practical effects thread:

Like I say if we saw the actual true originals in IMAX the filmophiles would love it but the actual average audience member would not likely be thrilled.

The point is when you know that the final film is going to be several generations down from the O-Neg on the film projectors of the time that is one thing. To go from a digital O-Neg to digital projection is entirely another. Again to be really authentic any "original" version should be seen that way and not from scans of the O-Neg. The idea of an original version of the trilogy is fatally flawed as they were never meant to be seen that way since they couldn't imagine digital duplication.

Any versions using modern methods of digital duplication and composition is simply another SE. It's not restoration it's a remaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.