main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't think either of our posts indicate that we were trying to do that :confused:

If mine did, I apologize.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't either, Darkslayer. Besides one version isn't more important than the others anyway. It's simply down to what someone likes/makes sense more. There are no wrong answers. [:D]

3. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Should they remake the PT with some of the same actors?

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The original versions are the most important. They are the ones that matter in terms of history. The SEs are variants, no different than Adywan or any other alternate cut. The originals are the ones that made Star Wars.

5. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Curious... my post about the fragility of original film negatives, and the importance of preserving them, has been deleted.

Wow, guys. Way to do George Lucas proud.

Suppose Fritz Lang had decided to destroy his own 1927 film, Metropolis, after making it. Wouldn't you think that was a stupid thing to have done? I mean, you'd rather watch a movie than not be able to see it at all... right?

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm sick of this being a thing with Star Wars. Why can't it be James Cameron's thing with Terminator movies or Avatar or one of the movies I like but don't really know one version from the other like Blade Runner? If the Final Cut or whatever were the only version allowed to exist of Blade Runner, I could be content (but if Ridley Scott insisted only the European Release of Legend could be available, I would be about as annoyed as I am about this.) Or how about something I don't even like, like if this were David Lynch's thing with Dune, and not the movies that mattered most to me longer than any other? It would be so nice to see news about David Lynch making changes to Dune again for each release and just not care because I don't care about Dune. I want to watch these movies, but don't want to watch low quality "bonus discs" and don't want to just deal with it and watch the Blu Ray/DVDs, therefore my desire to watch the movies fizzles out. In 2006 when I got those Bonus Discs, I was okay with how they looked...and then I got an HDTV, and I hate that I'm even a stickler for clarity after I watched these movies cropped and recorded off TV for many years before DVD. Making it more annoying is how there are the Despecialized Editions out there but it's too complicated to get them.
    So there's that rant.

7. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Sorry, Lucas has broken my spirit.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Which post was this? What number?

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Is George a mod now?

:D

First he goes into a comic store then joins the JCF.

What next?

Fanfic?

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    ATM's been telling you so for years now...

11. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Slash fiction. But if it's George writing it, it must surely be canon. :D

12. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    # THX-1138

MOC Yak Face and ATMachine like this.
  13. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    "THX 1138, why aren't you at your post?"
    --Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (novelization ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster, published under George Lucas's name)

MOC Yak Face and Tosche_Station like this.
  14. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    What is canon? For my part, I don't like having one canon only.

I'd rather have a cannon instead. Then maybe I could be a Mighty Pirate. :p

Tosche_Station and MOC Yak Face like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a Canon. It's a 60D, pretty boosty, just like this Canon here.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

16. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I would fully support a remake of the PT by someone like Cuaron, or another director in his vein. But you'd have to have different actors to make it worthwhile, and the Story Group would need to allow changes to the story. It couldn't follow the PT plot exactly.

17. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    I would love to see a Cuaron helmed Star Wars movie, but not a prequel remake. It's far too early for that. The best way to rebuild the franchise is to move forward.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What do you people think of a digital release of the OOT? Personally, I'd prefer BR, but as long as the OOT is released in good quality, I will be more than happy.

19. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I prefer having physical copies, both as a collector and due to extras; plus, usually digital releases have some artifacting due to the much lower bitrate, but if it was a proper remaster and a high-quality release without artifacts, I would take it in a heartbeat.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned a lot about having the OOT remastered is the audio - ANH had five different audio mixes before the SEs, three alone for the original theatrical run. TESB and ROTJ had three each as well. Ideally we would get options for all of them - each film had six-channel mixes for 70mm showings that have never been officially released.

20. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Agreed. Surely it couldn't be too terribly difficult for Lucasfilm to release several different audio mixes of SW 1977 on one disc?

(After all, it's not like they'd have to look very far to find the darn things... even if the Lucasfilm Archives are missing them, I know some fans who'd be happy to help. ;) )

Tosche_Station and smoothkaz like this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The three theatrical mixes would be easy to do and the option for the 77/81 crawls via seamless branching. The 1993 mix is a combination of the stereo mix with the addition of the elements added for the mono mix when the film went into wide release.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That would be just plain useless.

As we know there is no need to rebuild anything in the first place.

Depends what kind of release they would be doing. A comprehensive archival one would include all kinds of things.

I think an actual "OOT" release is highly unlikely. Possible but unlikely. More likely it would simply be as has been discussed a totally new version that present s the theatrical versions in a current modernized form. Certainly that would be done regardless. The question is whether they would also release original release versions as well.

23. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    In your eyes. In the eyes of many others, the prequels and the special editions have tainted the Star Wars brand.

lovelikewinter and ATMachine like this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Both valid opinions about the prequels, but this isn't the place for going too far down that road.

25. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    The prequels are not "broken" in the way that the OOT is "broken."

I don't like the prequels, but I'll certainly defend their right to exist.

But that very same stance also logically suggests that I should favor the OOT being easily available on modern-day home video in high quality... as indeed I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.