main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rumor: Disney to Release Unaltered Old Trilogy on BR

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMane2, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh, I doubt very many would stop. You might, but there are still plenty of people who get a kick out of it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

No, they were still very good movies. Now, they're (mostly) better.

I can say this for sure: They weren't perfect before, and they're not perfect now. If you're looking for perfection in anything, I'm afraid you're searching in the wrong universe.

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    It's the quest for perfection that got us into this mess the first place.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Not really. It was the quest to make his movies as good as they could be, within the limits of his ability as a human being. He never said he was trying to make them perfect. In fact, he's on record saying that they could never possibly be perfect.

Just because something can never be perfect, does not mean it can never be better. Lucas might as well have just released the movies with a bunch of toy spaceships on strings dangling in front of plain black backgrounds. After all, since the quest for perfection is undeniably a futile one, why even bother trying to do better?

Andy Wylde and Saga Explorer like this.
  5. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Are the movies really better? They have become a painted whore, trying desperately to look modern and becoming all the more a laughing stock. Better to age gracefully, like a Helen Mirren, than look a mess like Janice Dickenson.

I would rather the films look like a product of their time then shudder when a new piece of computer "wizardry" is shoved in our faces or ideas retconned in because he wants to create consistency with an inferior set of movies that he failed to do when said movies were in production. That takes his love of fixing it in post to a refuge in audacity level.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Well you're right about that.

The 2004 DVD release was the last time I paid money for these films. Didn't buy the release that had the substandard Laserdisc rips. Didn't buy them on Blu-ray. Didn't buy them on Digital. Won't pay anymore money for versions I don't want.

Luckily with new Star Wars is on the horizon, these films in their current form hold less meaning for me everyday.

Darth_Pevra and lovelikewinter like this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Great analogy, who doesn't like Helen Mirren.

No matter how good or bad the changes are that have been made to the films, this is an annoying aspect of it, that the PT wasn't written well enough to be able to stand on its own without changes being made to the OT to make the PT fit.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Very little of what was changed was done to match the PT. Cloud City's aesthetics and the inclusion of Coruscant and later Naboo are it. Everything else was about Lucas wanting to either improve on what was done, or get stuff in there that he wanted to have in there.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Ghost Hayden, and the NOOOO!, two of the infamous three changes, were done to call back to the PT. So while it may not have been a lot, they were certainly the worst.

Tosche_Station and TX-20 like this.
  10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I really don't think the "NOOOOO!" was added in ROTJ to call back to the PT. I think it's more of situation that Lucas felt the scene was better by having Vader actually say something rather than just standing there silently. Personally, it's a change that doesn't really bother me. I do like both versions, but ultimately, the story and the outcome remain the same.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  11. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Is the third infamous change the inclusion of Jabba in ANH or the addition of Jedi Rocks (shudders)?

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    And the Emperors dialogue in ESB.

TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The outcome may be the same but the context of the story shifts much for the worse to me. The 'Nooo!' Is completely unneeded as the original shows.

14. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Greedo shooting first. I was only counting the worst changes of each release (1997, 2004, 2011) It was hard deciding the order of awfulness of the changes.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Oh yeah duh lol. Jabba tail step and Jedi Rocks are definitely top 5 though.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The point is, most of the changes were less about the PT and more about being better than what was done as well as matching up more to the other OT film. Only a handful of the changes were to tie to the PT.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Of all the changes, Jedi Rocks is the only one I just cannot watch. Always have to hit the Fast Forward button.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    "Call back"?

That is such a surface reading.

The whole point is to have the real Emperor and real Anakin that we know not some earlier versions that don't exist anymore.

The NO is a character point and as you may recall it's been used a few times most notably in places like the reactions to the deaths of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Padme and the "death" of Luke's vision of his father. So it's use in ROTJ is beautifully placed.

As I have said over and again if it had been there in the first place it's a non-issue. People were not waxing poetic about the silence until it was added.

For the modern audience that is watching them with modern expectations of visuals?

Absolutely.

If they were simply the only films of Star Wars ever made the originals would be fine but as part of an ongoing Star Wars franchise that you want to sell on a continuing basis updates for the VFX are necessary.

As always I would argue that you can and should have both and I wish Lucas would have done that but he didn't.

Actually they look pretty terrific more like Jane Fonda and not Priscilla Presely with her mask-like face.

Odd how you split the wizardy into what you like and don't like rather than accept all of it.

The prequels are on the exact same level as the originals.

So you'd rather that he didn't fix ANH in post and save the movie from the disaster that was going on?

Star Wars in 1977 is the poster child for fixing a movie in post. Thanks goodness he was able to do it and as you very well know that is exactly the ethic that he had for each and every single movie going forward.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    If you need state of the art effects and need to have them updated all the time to current standards, then you are not worth worrying about. Those types of people will go to the latest Michael Bay movie and think it good, and quite frankly are too stupid to even bother with.

The original special effects of the Star Wars Trilogy still hold up today. The model work still looks good. They are amazing scenes that have not been surpassed by any movie in the last 30 years and are coupled with excellent characters and a story that, while simple, is very endearing to all ages.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Is this kind of crap necessary? Sorry, chief, I enjoy a few Michael Bay films for what they are (dumb fun). It doesn't make me or anyone else stupid. Get off the high horse, and learn how to have an opinion without having to throw yourself on a pedestal.

Andy Wylde and Darkslayer like this.
  22. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    So since the Special Effects on the PT have dated now, let's do them over?

darklordoftech and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

From a certain point of view.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's not why Lucas changed the OT. He was never satisfied with ANH. There were things that he did like and a lot that he didn't like. Those changes were done to fulfill what he wanted and I guarantee that most of them would have been there in 77, if he had all that he had today back then. And it still would be pretty popular as a film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A lot of what happens about isn't necessary yet continually both sides persist in calling the other names.

Just because one is 'modern generation' doesn't automatically mean you want constantly modified visuals. Just because one is *any* age bracket doesn't mean one is stupid or doesn't have their veiws with cause. In spite of what I see waaaay too often here, preferences do NOT only occur for a handful of reasons either. These broad assumptions really would do well to die down.

HeadingSouth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.