[RUMOR] Gearbox developing Halo 4 as launch title for next Xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Microsoft to win next console war

Remember back in February when Gearbox Software big boss Randy Pitchford teased his studio's next project as something "big"? Well, not just "big" but something that was "even bigger" than anything Gearbox is currently working on? Well, the kids at OXM sure remembered and they sent their spies deep undercover into Gearbox territory and came back with one heck of a rumor for their October issue: Gearbox is working on Halo 4 as a launch title for the next Xbox (NextBox?).

With Bungie admittedly uninterested in creating Halo games ad nauseum, and Gearbox one of the industry's top FPS developers, we've certainly heard crazier rumors. And there are few licenses that would get a studio chieftain to inadvertently slam his own games in development. Whatever the project is, Pitchford has said he'll be directing it himself, adding, "When you find out what this is, you'll likely agree that I can't oversell this one." Nope, you probably couldn't Randy. Overselling Halo is Microsoft's job anyway; you guys just make with the shooting of the aliens ... no, the other aliens.

Here is Gearbox's entire "resume":

# Half-Life: Opposing Force ? PC expansion (October 1999, published by Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games).
    # Half-Life ? Dreamcast (unreleased, available on PC) ? Includes Half-Life: Blue Shift.
    # Counter-Strike ? PC (November 2000, published by Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games) ? Retail version, co-developed with Valve Software ? Includes Half-Life: Opposing Force CTF
    # Half-Life: Blue Shift ? PC expansion (July 2001, published by Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games) ? Includes Half-Life High Definition Pack and Half-Life: Opposing Force.
    # Half-Life ? PlayStation 2 (November 2001, published by Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games) ? Includes Half-Life: Decay.
    # Half-Life: Decay ? PC expansion (unreleased, available on PS2).
    # Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 ? PC (October 2002, published by Activision) ? Co-developed with Neversoft.
    # James Bond 007: Nightfire ? PC (November 2002, published by Electronic Arts).
    # Halo: Combat Evolved ? PC, Mac (September 2003, published by Microsoft Game Studios) ? Co-developed with Bungie Studios.
    # Counter-Strike: Condition Zero ? PC (March 2004, published by Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games) ? Co-developed with Valve Software, Ritual Entertainment and Turtle Rock Studios.
    # Halo: Custom Edition ? PC (May 2004, published by Microsoft Game Studios).
    # Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 ? PC, Xbox, PlayStation 2 (March 2005, published by Ubisoft).
    # Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood ? PC, Xbox, PlayStation 2 (October 2005, published by Ubisoft).
    # Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood ? Mobile Phones (October 2005, published by Ubisoft) ? Co-developed with Gameloft.
    # Brothers in Arms: D-Day ? PSP (December 2006, published by Ubisoft) ? Co-developed with Ubisoft.
    # Brothers in Arms DS ? Nintendo DS (June 2007, published by Ubisoft) ? Co-developed with Gameloft.
    # Brothers in Arms: Art of War ? Mobile Phones (March 2008, published by Ubisoft) ? Co-developed with Gameloft
    # Brothers in Arms (N-Gage 2.0) ? Nokia Mobile Phones (TBA 2008, published by Ubisoft) ? Co-developed with Gameloft.
    # Samba de Amigo ? Wii (September 23, 2008, published by Sega) ? Co-developed with Escalation Studios.
    # Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway ? PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 (September 2008, published by Ubisoft).
    # Aliens: Colonial Marines ? PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 (TBA 2009, published by Sega).
    # Borderlands ? PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 (TBA 2009, published by 2K Games) .
    # Untitled FPS game based on the movie Heat (unknown release date - possibly canceled).
    # Untitled game (unknown release date)(rumoured to be Halo 4 for the next Xbox console)

Will it turn out to be true? I think Microsoft are the biggest idiots on the planet if it doesn't.
  2. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Oh what the crack, I thought Halo was over.

As far as I'm concerned, Gearbox are great. Aliens will be brilliant if it's anywhere as good as Rebellion's AvP or Monolith's AvP2, and if Borderlands turns out to be FPS Diablo in Space, I will probably be addicted to it for a month or so.

By the way, your console-biased and slightly elitist statement of "Microsoft to win next console war" is a little bit bunk seeing as despite Halo on the Xbox nor Halo 3 on the 360 being big sellers, they haven't gone to legnths to make Microsoft win anything, except maybe a record number of opening weekend sales for Halo 3 which was eclipsed by GTA4 a few weeks later and a few Interactive Entertainment BAFTAs for Bungie. Just saying.
  3. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i can't think that the next gen consoles will actually be on their way for at least three to four years yet. heck, i bet they don't even actually have any software specs sorted out, so how the heck can you be developing a game on something that likely has no real specs yet?o_O considering there haven't been any rumors of next gen consoles yet (so far as i know) this is one rumor i'd be seriously disinclined to believe.

:snoopy
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, keep in mind that there was only a 4 year cycle between XB and the 360. The 360 launched in 2005- now, obviously the next system won't be coming out next year since the 360 is in a comfy position right now, but the next system probably isn't all that far off.
  5. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    I find it hysterical that you think Microsoft will win the next console war. They're not even going to be in it.
  6. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    Is this thread about Gearbox doing Halo 4, or how Microsoft will win/won't win/won't be in the next console cycle?

Gearbox doing Halo 4 sounds like a good idea to me. Let a fresh developer at the franchise. Maybe we'll get Brothers in Arms: The Fall of Reach or something.
  7. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd rather have Halo 4 for the 360.

There isn't even a next gen console yet.
  8. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Do you people think Halo started development the day the Xbox was launched, and was released a few minutes later?
  9. plo_koom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  10. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    More fuel for the fire
    From TGR: Gearbox making Halo 4?

Gearbox Software is no stranger to high profile games, particularly those of the shooter variety. The company behind the Brothers in Arms series has been hinting for a while now that they?re working on something big, something huge, something so mind-blowing if they dared speak its name we would all prostrate ourselves and weep uncontrollably for weeks. The only problem is that we had no idea what this project was, until now.

According to Joystiq, who is in turn relying on the spies at OXM, the new double-secret game coming from Gearbox is none other than Halo 4, the next true sequel in the franchise. Furthermore, this latest edition of Master Chief?s saga would be a launch title for the next Xbox, meaning that if the game faces a normal development schedule then we should be expecting Microsoft?s next console to drop sometime in 2012.

So how realistic is this one? Gearbox is one of the preeminent FPS developers in the industry, so the idea of them doing a Halo game is completely reasonable. Also, Randy Pitchford, the head of the studio, is directing this game personally, and he has gone on record saying that he "can?t oversell this one." With all that in mind, this seems like a nearly done deal; we?ll go ahead and wait for official confirmation, but in the meantime, you can go ahead and pencil Halo 4 into your calendars for the same time as Microsoft?s new console.

TGR Verdict: Very Likely

11. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmm, my only concern is that they finish Aliens first. Do all the Halo you want after that, but do not mess this game up. [face_plain]
  12. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    hell of a lot more likely than sony, considering they have less than a quarter of the market at the moment.

:snoopy
  13. TeriyakiSith Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know like a lot of other hardcore to the bone "Halo" fans, this news is slightly unsettling. But, their prior involvment with the ports are reassuring. Let's just hope they can tell a story like Bungie can.
  14. Master-Fett Force Ghost

star 6
    No, I mean literally. Microsoft is getting out of the console business after this generation. There will still be a new xbox, but it will be owned by Toshiba, I believe it was.
  15. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    PPOR.
    Oh, I don't think they'll have any problem reaching Bungie's level of storytelling. No problem at all...
  16. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    In the USA; IIRC the PS3 outsells the Xbox 360 everywhere else. 15million PS3s to 20 million Xbox 360s. Hardly any sort of dominant position. Anyway.

Yes this is possible; but I'd be reluctant to say any development beyond very initial storyboarding or something of that sort had begun; I doubt there's any hardware to use yet.
  17. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I dont know if anyone has beaten Halo 3 but at the end they give the impression that Master Chief is dead. I read on another site a few months ago that they are uncertain whether they would come out with #4 or not. I dont think #4 will come out
    though...
  18. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    You obviously haven't seen the Legendary ending...
  19. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Can you spill the beanz? I am not up to doing the last level on legendary, only normal.
  20. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    He's alive and supposedly is in some kind of stasis with Cortana
  21. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Even though the rest of the game was lame, the Legendary ending was pretty badass. Even I beat the last level on Legendary. And I suck at Halo.
  22. _Spartan-117_ Jedi Master

star 4
    How odd...
  23. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7

Heck, the hubby and I don't usually play FPS games too often and even we beat the game on Legendary and saw the true ending! And even if you couldn't beat it on your own, YouTube's had vids of it for a loooong time. :p

It's not just that he put himself in stasis, but that the wreck of what's left of his ship is drifting toward some planet (one that get's creapy, horror movie music treatment right before the image goes blank).
  24. adx Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just hope that bungie has some sort of input on where the gameplay and story goes. They are the ones that made the first 3 but again if they have no interest in making them any more that is there call.
  25. ZanderSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    IIRC, Frank O'Connor went to work for Microsoft from Bungie. From there, I would assume he would have at Least a copy of the Halo Bible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.