main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rumors concerning the possibility of Disney throwing out the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    "Disney potentially phasing out the prequel trilogy by lumping them in with the “Legends” non-canon fodder. This has apparently been the subject of gossip near Disney, though it’s very possibly just that – gossip amongst the worker bees. Anyway, it would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new prequel movies featuring Yoda, Darth Vader, etc."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05...al-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

Could it be true??? [face_praying][face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

StarWars2015 and vinsanity like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Funny as hell, but no, not likely.

I'd say someone contributing to Bleeding Cool is having fun trolling the interwebz.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    No.

5. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    I really wouldn't be surprised if they did do this down the road, but I don't think it will happen as long as George Lucas is alive. GL said himself around 2005 that he wanted to remake the OT using CGI because he wasn't happy with the original movies.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Not going to happen.

7. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Not going to happen.

At least not for another...20, maybe 30 years, when they start to remake all the films starting with the OT.

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    What happens to the saga if you Retcon the PT? Do they make another PT?

9. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Yep, PT reboot... Michael Bay style [face_skull]

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

You think the "Cannon Wars" were bad, I can imagine the debates that would be caused by a reboot.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That would be terrible, but since it won't happen, there is nothing to worry about.

12. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    user A: Hayden was the perfect Anakin

user B: nope Jaden Smith jnr is way better!

user C: nice edge bringing in his granddad (Will) for the role of Mace too! :cool:

user F: you're all haterz!!!

user T: Andrew Garfield as Palpatine...pure Genius!!

Jarren_Lee-Saber and gambit420 like this.
  13. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    One simply does not 'remake' a Star Wars film.

But seriously, these films are unique. A remake of any of them would completely defeat the purpose.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not going to happen.

RayO1 likes this.
  15. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014

He actually said that? Cool.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Haha thanks for the laugh, Bleeding Cool!

Samnz likes this.
  17. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Any movie with a significant enough fanbase will eventually get remade. let alone if the plot is good (which I suppose would exclude the sequel trilogy), simply because $$$$$.

Won't be soon, and maybe my estimate is on the low side, but before I die, we'll see a remake, I'd wager on it.

Hernalt likes this.
  18. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Yeah, this definitely seems like a rumor; particularly in light of the recent statements made about the OT, PT, and TCW forming the foundation of the SW universe moving forward.

The only grain of truth I could imagine being here would be some possible discussion about what Disney/ Lucasfilm wants to do with the vast array of prequel related EU material that is already in existence. It's obvious as to why they'd want to move the post ROTJ EU material and some of the post ROTS stuff into the Legends category, but what about all of the prequel based EU stuff? Maybe we are hearing corrupted bits of a discussion that centered around the possibility of some prequel based stuff in the EU becoming canon moving forward?

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well if they are going to throw out the PT, might as well throw out the OT and the upcoming ST too

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I stopped reading at 'Bleeding Cool reports'...

But seriously, how can people even slightly believe this?

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

People with low IQ.

22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I'm pretty sure that every Star Wars book whether it be pre-Prequel, in the Prequel era, between PT and OT, and after the OT are all part of the Legends line now. They are starting again completely. They have specifically stated the only things remaining in canon are the 6 films, TCW and Rebels. Nothing else is.

RayO1 likes this.
  23. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    You are aware that even if the writer of the article thinks it's legit, that JJ Abrams has already said he's gonna feed out false rumors?

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Rumours tend to have a grain of truth to them, and it may well be that Disney is making certain moves to distance the prequels from being associated too strongly in people's minds with the words "Star" and "Wars", just as it's making certain moves to align the original trilogy and what affection remains for that set of movies with the new trilogy in development; and possibly a lot of its future, or near-future, business plans. This is a long way from some Machiavellian plot to have the prequel movies quietly rounded up and burned, but it would at least speak to conservatism and cowardice on Disney's part -- not exactly strange concepts in the world of capitalism.

It may just be pessimism on my part, mixed in with a bit of anti-J.J. bias, but I find the recent official statement that they're working hard to make fans "proud" of the new film, and the leaked letter by J.J. Abrams imploring cast and crew to "give 'em something great" -- his emphasis, not mine -- suggestive of people acutely aware of discontent, and people trying their best to counter that discontent, and to break the chain of interminable antipathy and manufactured cynicism endlessly stretched out by a very vocal and very loud online geek-media complex. Indeed, that closing admonition of Abrams tacitly implies a view that the prequel movies were not great, and that it is now their task to restore a sense of greatness to the Star Wars name. Well, I did admit to my bias, didn't I?

25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Agree with the first part, not so much with the second part. I think disney is, for now, making a conscious effort on focusing on the OT era, and I think it has less to do with trying to distance themselves from the "lesser" films (why would they care as long as the brand is making them money?) and more about the fact that there are three movies coming up that are a direct continuation of the middle trilogy, and we're currently living in a generation where most kids are primarily familiar with the Clone Wars and the Prequels. Right now, Disney is trying to set a paradigm shift back to the OT so that when kids see Episode 7, it will register just as strongly as "Star Wars" to them as an episode of The Clone Wars. I have a feeling, though, that in the next 10 years, once nostalgia for the prequels is really going to reach a high point, Disney will have no qualms with milking prequel imagery for all its worth.

As for you second point.... clouded, your judgement is :p . I think JJ Abrams, as with many filmmakers around his age, has a tremendous amount of nostalgia and reverence for the OT, and even if he did like the prequels (he's never said definitively one way or the other, just that he likes the OT better) those films are never going to mean as much to him as a person as the OT does. That being said, he has stated in interviews that he recognizes how much love there is out there for the prequels, and that for an entire generation of kids, those films are their primary idea of what Star Wars is. So who knows how his mentality towards any of the existing 6 films is actually going to effect the making of his new one. It'll be interesting, to be sure.

RayO1, bstnsx704 and Jair Crawford like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.