main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[RUMOUR] Bioware working on KOTOR MMORPG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Gah, why does every single-player RPG have to release a MMO edition? I'd also rather have KotOR III.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just what the world needs, another MMO.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Kotor MMORPG!:eek:

I would welcome this game with open arms...:)

After I started playing online multiplayer games I pretty much lost interest in ordinary RPGs, so I would not really mind if this would mean that there would not be a KOTOR 3 as long as this game would continue the storyline and be chronologically placed after KOTOR 2 instead of happening during the Jedi Civil War.

4. DeepRegret

DeepRegret Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2007
    I think they should go for it. The KOTOR series has been amazing thus far, and I'd be thrilled to see what they can come up with conceptually as an MMORPG.

I played SWG for a year, and I've never seen such a game go down the drain like that did. They should have left it pre-CU, pre-NGE and kept everything the way it was. Although their idea of becoming a jedi was a little too close to manual labour, I guess that was the only thing that stayed true to the movie.

5. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    For the past couple years I have been dying to see Kotor III, yesterday when I got on TFN and I saw the word KOTOR, I was so excited and then upon seeing the word MMO, there was silence and of course disappointment.

Do us a favor Bioware, please scrap the Kotor MMO idea (if it's true) and either you or Obsidian make KOTOR III.

6. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    I wouldn't mind a KOTOR MMORPG if 1) it's free per month. I'm 15, and I don't have a job. I don't want to waste $15 a month (Reason I'm not getting LotR online, which looks like a great game). 2) if they don't make a single-player KOTOR 3 I'm going to be pissed. You CANNOT just have an ending like KOTOR 2 and not follow it with a sequel. And I hope it's for 360 because this is definately not a gaming computer I'm using!

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If you didn't pay a monthly fee the game wouldn't ever grow and would never have new content released.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What about Guild Wars?

9. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    What about we get Kotor MMO from Bioware and Kotor 3 from Obsidian so both sides are satisfied!

M-O-E

10. DARKMETHOD

DARKMETHOD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    i like that MOE! KOTOR MMO is a freaking awesome idea i hope we hear more news on this. i really hope bioware makes this happen!

11. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Guild Wars is way more expensive than WoW. When a new expansion first comes out, it's like $50 and takes a long time to decrease in price.

I think it is not unrealistic for the makers of MMOs to issue a monthly fee. A lot goes into running one smoothly.

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Wouldn't whoever owns Galaxies have the exclusive rights to a SW MMO?

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Same here.

14. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    ...you mean LucasArts?

15. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    The thing is, just say we got the confirmation of the a Kotor MMO from Bioware AND we also get a confirmation that Kotor 3 is being made also, what timeline will the MMO take place, pre-Kotor(Mandalorian Wars for example) or the 5 year gap between Kotor 1 and 2 or after Kotor 3's storyline???

Which way do you think it will go for the MMO.

M-O-E

16. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Guild Wars time--
    First: Prophecies came out April 28, 2005(ish).
    Last: Nightfall came out October 27, 2006 (Aragorn birthday!)

18 months total time:
    Guild Wars- 150. (assuming you buy the 3 expansions over this amount of time)
    WoW subscription fees- 18*15=270. That's without factoring in the initial price of the game or expansion.

WoW's subscription fees equal one Guild Wars expansion every 3.33 months. Guild Wars does not release expansions that quickly, so an equal amount of playing time would always be more costly playing WoW in comparison.

17. DeepRegret

DeepRegret Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2007
    Well I personally enjoyed Bioware's KotOR I, because the storyline was really good. Obisidian's KotOR II was more about combat to me, and although I did enjoy it, it didn't contend to Bioware's. So if they are infact making it, I'll be happy with whatever they do timeline wise, so long as they live up to what they made before.

18. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Ari your math makes my head hurt.

If this replaces KOTOR 3.... I will be done with star wars. I will personally fly to L.A and punch George Lucas in the mouth. This is the one game I'm waiting for to make the jump to a next gen console. Then again Force Unleashed might woe me in that regard.

19. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    First of all, this rumor's been around for at least a year. Second, KOTOR 2 was trash. I don't want KOTOR 3. Also, we're not even sure it exists, so it may be better to refer to it as a Star Wars MMO rather than a KOTOR MMO. I'm feeling there's a good chance Bioware's got a Star Wars MMO in the mix, but I'm not quite sure it's KOTOR.

I'm seeing a lot of negative reaction to the idea of a Star Wars MMO. Before we all threaten to rape George Lucas's family, let's acknowledge that there are a number of Star Wars games in development at any one time. There are also a number of top-quality games in development at any one time. There are also a number of MMOs in development. Simply because there's a top-quality Star Wars MMO being developed doesn't mean that there won't be other good Star Wars games. Everyone here immediately screams out "N0 WUT 4BOU7 MAI K0T0R3??!??!//1". It's not your KOTOR 3. It's Bioware's. They have the right to develop whatever games they feel like developing, regardless of what you the insatiable consumer feels entitled to. If you hate the idea of interacting with others, don't play MMOs. Nobody's "forcing" you to interact with anybody. If you don't like multiplayer, play singleplayer.

With regards to monthly fees, that's part of the cost of paying for these sorts of things. Most of the money goes toward running the servers, some goes to updates, and a bit of it goes toward profit. The developers make money. If it's a good product, they make big profits. It's called capitalism, and it works.

It's not fair to compare this to SWG. SWG was developed by SOE. Bioware is Bioware. They have an excellent record, and we have every reason to believe that record will continue when they go online.

20. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Are you proud of yourself?

I have every right to rape George Lucas and his family. For Christ sake, I've been nothing but the man's crack hoe paying their pimp since the time I was in pre-school. What do I get in return? Nothing but some shiny objects to distract me, while the man takes a dump in my mouth with weak dialog and story in the prequels. So yes, I will rape him and his children and enjoy every minute of it. Heck, I'll even throw in Spielberg for taking their sweet time with Indy 4.

21. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    QFT

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd think the Jedi Civil War as it would allow players to be Jedi, Sith, and Mandalorians in fairly large numbers. It also would work with PvP similar to the whole Alliance vs. Horde thing.

23. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I agree- it'd be pretty simple to start things off at the Mandalorian Wars. This would also give them a chance to move the story forward with expansions, and use these to change and shift the dynamics of the game.

Let's assume it starts at say, the very beginning of the invasion. You have the Jedi, the Republic, and the Mandalorians. Using the WoW analogy, Republic and Mando's could represent Alliance v. Horde, while the Jedi would be more in-between.

Expansion 1- The birth of Revan's faction and official Jedi involvement in the war. You now have two factions of Jedi, so effectively four different groups vying for dominance.

Expansion 2- End of the war and Revan's dissappearance- the Mandalorian and Revan faction are well, destroyed, and while this may be hard to pull off, I think it'd be cool to have Mando players become mercenaries and bandits ala KOTOR 1, and have Revan Jedi go rogue in way, akin to Jolee.

Expansion 3- Revan's return and the Jedi Civil War- Sith faction appears, allowing former Mando and Revan players to take revenge upon the Jedi and Republic.

Expansion 4- The five years before KOTOR 2. Republic is disorganized and weak, Jedi have, actually have to, hide from the Sith.

If you made the time between expansions say, I don't know, a year, you have 5 years of guaranteed new content and shifting gameplay mechanics. If they did it right, it would always be fresh.

24. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    QFT

I can take that two different ways. Since it was with a quote, I assume it was positive.

People, stop trying to mess with my attempts to derail this thread. I will rape you!!!!!

25. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    That's for silly people who actually pay $15 a month. If you pay $77 for a year (credit card online), you are saving $103 dollars a year.

There's a new Guild Wars expansion coming out soon, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.